This Ain’t Constantinople: Adu Turns, Scores

Since we give Adu some stick around here, we’ll balance it out with a little positive press.

Freddy Adu nets the difference in Rizespor’s 1-0 win over Gaziantep.

In our best Clyde “The Glide” Frazier.

“Dumped into the post, Adu swooping and hooping for the bucket. The prodigal son, prodigious.”

1. Posted by phlub on 2011/03/06 at 12:19 PM

awesome. the only YA to score this weekend?

also noticed that C Goodson got his first(?) 90 for Brøndby today. good sign for him.

2. Posted by dude on 2011/03/06 at 12:20 PM

This is a spot light of Freddy’s game.

Honestly, I’m impressed. But for once, I hope Bob doesn’t call him in till he’s beating in the door.

• Posted by JasonPrice on 2011/03/06 at 8:05 PM

Sorry to say, but that ‘highlight’ real pretty much confirms every fear I have about Adu. I saw one intelligent pass in the first minute. The rest is all glitz, and negative, and turnovers.

• Posted by JasonPrice on 2011/03/06 at 8:10 PM

That being said. Anything to get his confidence back. He was excellent and exciting in that friendly against Argentina at Giants Stadium a few years back. Not at all the guy you want starting a match, but the kind of guy you turn to in the 70th minute when you’re down a goal or two. Maybe draw a foul, maybe make something happen.

• Posted by dude on 2011/03/06 at 8:24 PM

You’re kidding, right? He had one legit assist that was ruled offsides (incorrectly), and then nearly go another one off a juggle/volley. Or did you simply watch the first minute?

• Posted by JasonPrice on 2011/03/06 at 9:26 PM

Dude, you’re right. I only got through the first minute. I didn’t really care to watch anymore. It wasn’t beautiful or interesting. Once again, he was making easy things complicated. Like I said, buckets of talent. He can do all the stepovers in the world against second division Turkish sides… I just don’t really feel compelled to watch. I I hope he does well for himself and for the USMNT, I really really do. But this is not really a highlight really. Its more like biopsy.

3. Posted by Mark F on 2011/03/06 at 2:04 PM

Very good stuff from Freddy. Hopefully he keeps it up!

4. Posted by Kirk on 2011/03/06 at 6:52 PM

Even though he’s in the Turkish Second Division, I still think he has the best feet of any American around. Not enough of a reason to call him in, but there’s still some magic in those feet.