Hooking Up The MLS Fantasy Machine

How ’bout that?

About the domestic league...

In less than 18 months, TSG has went from not being able to, easily, name all MLS teams to cranking up an MLS fantasy machine.

Here’s your chance to win a spot in the TSG Hall of Fame and maybe a few other goodies. (Note: We’ll be following up shortly on our EPL fantasy league, where Shaun and I are waving to each other in last and next-to-last place).

Here’s the dete’s on our MLS Fantasy.

To participate, just click here, create a profile and enter the password: seanfranklin (come on, did you really think we were going with “Heath Pearce?”)

Secret weapon?

TSG’s league name if you get lost? “The Shin Guardian.” Matthew’s team name, “John O’Brian White” (most players are placeholders, so you’ll be able to make fun of me later, but not now.)

Here’s a few tips to observe when trying to take down soccer’s most coveted prize to the Ballon d’Or:

• Is the player you’re picking the chief penalty kick taker for your team? And if so, do they usually make it? Even better if they’re a midfielder.

• Has the team added some steel on the backline or defense making its players there more valuable? Has the team (cough: Chivas) changed it’s philosophy.

• Does the player further up the field than they are listed in the game? Here’s an example of the reverse…Brek Shea is listed as a midfielder, but is likely to play the backline making his scoring chances less valuable while reducing his points in defense. (Bad pick right now in my opinion)

• Does the player start fast or slow?

• Is the player earmarked for national team duty?

• What’s the players team road record and how do they play on the road? For example, the Los Angeles Galaxy tend to play more conservative on the road. Helps the defenders, not the attackers.

Just some things to consider as you seek to come in second place to team TSG.

1. Posted by Iggystar on 2011/03/11 at 7:10 AM

Excellent Douk City SC is ready to rock.
    Now to proceed to never check my team agaiiinnnnnn, and done.

2. Posted by John on 2011/03/11 at 9:49 AM

I’m totally going to Ownerize this season.

Blanco is still playing… right?

3. Posted by John on 2011/03/11 at 10:36 AM

Damn! Ok… Maybe Carlos can get his cousin Wilmer to play and then I pick up Ronaldo…. you know…. before he picks up me.

4. John Harkes + Sam’s Army ready to tell you that a 2 goal lead is the most dangerous for the team in the lead!

5. Posted by matthewsf on 2011/03/11 at 12:42 PM

I don’t mind giving this way. Sal Zizzo, advanced winger/forward, price tag $4.7. That’s a steal in my book. On my team.

Meanwhile Brek Shea is owned by 15% I believe and he’s going to play Centerback.

6. Posted by John on 2011/03/11 at 1:03 PM

I don’t mind giving this away. David Beckham, price tag $7.0 = Really expensive.

Not on my team.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/03/11 at 1:18 PM

However, he takes free kicks and will do some crossing.

Penalty kickers, free kick takers and team sheet consistency should make up at least 50% of a midfield. Hence, another giveaway, I’ve got Brad Davis. Takes the FKs, corners, PKs and cannot be dropped from the team sheet as there is no one else.

7. Posted by matthewsf on 2011/03/11 at 2:57 PM

Stats that should assist and make players more valuable in MLS Fantasy:

SOGK: Shots on goal….keeper. (1 point for 3 or more per game)
    Immediately makes Conor Casey, Mike Magee, Ryan Johnson more valuable. Chris Rofle would have been extremely expensive

YCNC Yellow Card Not Called: For a foul that should have been a yellow, but the player got away with one. (1 point per offense)
    Frankie Hejduk, Jimmy Conrad become owned by 85% of users,

RBC Ridiculously Bad Cross. For an effort to serve the ball into the box that is humorously bad (1 point per offense)
    Tristan Bowen, Dane Richards and Rodney Wallace go up in value.