Bengals’ Chad Ochocinco To Train With KC

Chad Ochocinco is taking full advantage of the NFL (National Football League) lockout.

Who's the better potential DP?

He’s joining the other footie league. At least on trial.

The Bengals wide receiver will train with Kansas City’s Sporting KC for a four day tryout. Following the tryout next week, Sporting Kansas City will determine whether to extend the trial period.

His first scrimmage will be this coming Tuesday, March 22nd. He does fit the mold of a Peter Vermes striker.

Johnson has often opined on his soccer skills and this past summer he headed over to Barca and other clubs in La Liga (on what may not have been a tourist trip??).

Great move by a very strong marketing team at Sporting KC. Well played–especially with the new LIVESTRONG Stadium launching this campaign.

*And if you remember, Chad Johnson was in our All-Non-Soccer Soccer team.

Quotes from the press release:

“We’re always searching for players who can help our team and bringing in new talent,” Sporting Kansas City Manager Peter Vermes said. “We know that Chad is an exceptional athlete and that he loves the sport of soccer, and he did play a lot when he was younger. We’re excited to see how his skills will translate once he arrives next week and begins training with our team.”

“Due to the NFL lockout, I’m excited to be able to follow my childhood dream of playing for a Major League Soccer team,” Ochocinco said. “Thanks to Sporting Kansas City for giving me this opportunity.”

Eat your heart out Obrian White!

1. no. frickin. way. awesome move by KC to drum up some publicity. now everyone can have a chance to see if ochocinco is as good as he says he is. wait, don’t we already know the answer to that question?

2. Posted by John on 2011/03/16 at 10:15 AM

I love this.

Win win no matter what.

#1 Publicity
    #2 If he is good, KC will have a new best selling kit.
    #3 If he is bad, no one will care.

• Posted by John on 2011/03/16 at 10:17 AM

Oh and for everyone asking…. Chad played as a forward when he was growing up. Stats on wikipedia say 6’1 192 pounds.

• Posted by John on 2011/03/16 at 10:20 AM

And one more: The quotes on SportingKC’s website are fannnntastic…

On how he uses soccer skills while playing in the NFL…

“I warm up with a soccer ball Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. That’s how I warm up before practice. On gamedays, I use it to warm my legs up. I juggle for maybe 30 or 40 minutes.”

On his background in the game…

“Soccer was always my first sport. That was my first love. Started from four years old and once I got to high school, I had to make a decision on what I wanted to focus on and take me to the next level.”

On his biggest asset as a soccer player…

“There’s not one person in soccer right now that would beat me running, that’s including Lionel Messi.”

• I agree that this is a win-win. If he proves himself and plays a few games all the better as MLS could use the injection of personality.

3. […] Reports are out that Chad Ochocinco, of the NFL’s Cincinnati Bengals, will be beginning a four-day trial with Sporting Kansas City of the MLS next week. After those four days are up, Sporting KC will have the option of extending […]

4. Posted by Ufficio on 2011/03/16 at 10:55 AM

“I’m excited to be able to follow my childhood dream of playing for a Major League Soccer team,” Ochocinco said.

Um, Mr. Ochocinco would have been 18 years old during MLS’s inaugural season.

5. Posted by John on 2011/03/16 at 11:06 AM

Incidentally, I find it absolutely hilarious that some people are trying to intimate that this is an insult or degradation to the league.

We should all be so upset about the purity of the MLS when a highly trained, highly motivated, self promoting professional athlete decides to give it a go in another sport?

This isn’t a guy who has been loading boxes on a dock for 4 years, and actually if that was the case that specific story would

A: Not get any publicity
    and
    B: People who DID know his story would root for him.

Rather, this is a professional athlete who has made it to/near the top of his league deciding to trial and work with other players to see if he can achieve something he clearly believes he can do.

If he makes it, then fantastic.
    If not, the league gets some publicity, SportingKC gets some publicity, and Chad gets his name out there during a lockout.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/03/16 at 12:21 PM

If he’s good enough then he’s good enough… But I do find his arrogance staggering to think that just because he’s a “professional athlete”, he thinks he can make the switch at this level. I guess we’ll see, won’t we?

6. Posted by Berg on 2011/03/16 at 12:29 PM

I’m getting Kobe’s cell # over to Sporting in case the NBA locks out too.

• Posted by John on 2011/03/16 at 12:32 PM

Actually that is probably going to happen anyway. The NBA situation (according to many people) is worse than the NFL.

7. Posted by ronald on 2011/03/16 at 12:44 PM

Should we expect a USMNT call up?

8. I think it’s great personally. While I question whether he’s going to have the needed skill level, the guy is an amazing natural athlete and it’s going to generate some great PR (which is what he does best, no?).

9. Posted by Nelson on 2011/03/16 at 4:05 PM

I really hope it works. Bunbury to ochocinco!!! Lol

10. Posted by Alex Song on 2011/03/16 at 4:19 PM

Cool. Would’ve been a lot cooler if he was still 25 years old.

He’s nearing the “over the hill” age for an NFL receiver.

11. Posted by Kevin O' on 2011/03/17 at 9:06 AM

I’m fascinated by this trial. Finally, the old tired argument from trolls “what if Michael Vick played soccer?” will get tested to a degree. He has a slim chance of fitting the role of a Roy Lassiter for KC. Being a lighting fast super poacher in compliment to Bunbury’s hold up play.

12. Posted by John on 2011/03/24 at 11:41 AM

Regardless of whether you like him or not, you have to give the guy respect.

From his twitter account on day two of his trial:

I wish you all can see the skill it takes to play FUTBOL,even with my speed these guys still make me look like shit on the pitch #seriously

13. Posted by John on 2011/03/25 at 10:04 AM