USA Kit: Out With Nike Grey, In With Red

Let's see dynamo Dax McCarty in the #10 in this sucker...

The U.S. Men’s National Team will debut a new Nike red jersey when they face Argentina on Saturday, March 26 at New Meadowlands Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

Jut a reminder that amid conjecture, TSG confirmed that red kit in January. (Sorry for the self promotion, long night.)

I think a white sash would have been better for the contract, but what do I know I don’t design boring jerseys. #oops.

1. Posted by T-Muck on 2011/03/24 at 7:20 AM

Agreed a white sash would be better for contrast, but with all 3 stripes being white, I think it would look really cool with the two outer ones (the little guys) staying blue, or do a blue sash with the outer ones being white……but what do I know.

2. I think the blue sash works but the smaller stripes on the sides should’ve been white for the added contrast. But like you said, we don’t get paid to design jerseys, though maybe some of us should.

I get the use of the same template across all three for simplicity’s (read laziness) sake, but what about doing something a little different while still using a stock template? Take Atletico Madrid’s current home kit and simply make both sets of stripes (Red & White in Atleti’s case) different shades of Red. One can be this darker red with the offsetting stripes more of a cherry. This would definitely resonate with the country’s identity since we have those stripe things making up 75% of our nation’s flag. Then all that’s left to do is argue over whether the collar should be dark blue or white, or some intriguing combination of the two. Boom design process done!

All in all, I’m glad that they’re going back to red after so many years away and I hope they continue with it, but I’ll wait until this baby goes on sale.

3. Posted by timmer on 2011/03/24 at 7:47 AM

I really like the dark red color of the kit. Much better than the older bright red. I think it will look strong on the pitch. Let’s start with a victory on Sat!

4. Posted by joe on 2011/03/24 at 7:54 AM

What is the new motto? I thought they were going to release both at the same time?

5. Posted by Soccernst on 2011/03/24 at 8:00 AM

What are you talking about??? There’s an ideal amount if contrast… Between the sash and swoosh :-/ blue shorts? White shorts? Red and blue shorts? Red and white hoop stripe shorts with rhinestone stars on the butt? We will bedazzle Argentina into submission.

6. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/03/24 at 8:20 AM

Considering your home kit is white, don’t you think it was sensible for the new away kit not to feature any white? After all, if you changing your kit, it means there’s a colour clash with your opponent, no?

Also, I guess 12-Jun-2010 disproves my point!

7. Posted by Soccernst on 2011/03/24 at 8:37 AM

I believe Nike overlooked The USAs chief contribution to the textile arts: fringe. Fringe from the arms, fringe from the waist, fringe from the shoulderblades, and yes Ultimate Warrior fans, fringe from the top of the socks.

8. Posted by chazcar2 on 2011/03/24 at 9:52 AM

There they are Mr’s America.
    There they are, your Ideal.
    The dream of a million boys who are more than fast can come true in New Jersey,
    For they may turn out to be the Kings of Argentina.

There they are Mr’s America.
    There they are, your Ideal.
    With so many goals they took the town by storm
    With their all-American pace and form

And there they are
    Running on air, they are
    Strongest of the strong, they are
    There they are – Mr’s America

9. Posted by Freegle on 2011/03/24 at 4:51 PM

The sash cant be white… if it is the jersey becomes a scuba flag.

10. Posted by Nelson on 2011/03/24 at 7:41 PM

Anyone else going to the game in Nashville? I’m looking to join up with the AO at McFaddens.

• Posted by Jonathan Slape on 2011/03/24 at 9:15 PM

If you are in town the night before come hang out with us at our home bar Dan Mcguinness.