DeRosario Runs With The Red Bulls

Confirmed: A New York Red Bulls press release just confirmed it. DeWayne DeRosario is a Red Bull.

Update: As of 12:30 PM PST the deal was not announced as official. Reports suggest some snags or that other teams–Houston, a good fit, but old stomping grounds–are in play.

Hell of a gambit here by the New York Red Bulls as they add Dwayne DeRosario in a trade with Toronto FC, according to Fox Soccer’s Ives Galarcep.

Check signing to be handled elsewhere now...

The trade sends Tony Tchani, Danleigh Borman and a first round pick in 2012, according to Galarcep.

Two cents: Hell of a lot of bite just added to the Red Bulls who just upped the ante in their arms race against the Los Angeles Galaxy and RSL in a bid for the Supporter’s Shield and beyond.

DeRosario is the type of midfielder that will give both those squads fits because of his strength on the ball. Add in DeRosario with Joel Lindpere, Mehdi Ballouchy (or Taino) and Dane Richards and there is quite a diverse group of skillsets there.

As for Toronto, the club rid itself of a quality player but one who had become a cancer to the team. While Toronto’s hand was forced and DeRosario is getting long in the tooth, this trade falls closer to “Carmelo Anthony” than “Pau Gasol.”

Tchani and Borman are nice players–Tchani with more upside–and for the life of me I can’t figure out who else could be a player here. As in ready to content, can spend some money.

A good fit actually would have been the Dynamo, but obviously that wasn’t happening.

1. Posted by alexalex on 2011/04/01 at 10:43 AM

I think that Winter was also having trouble fitting DeRo into his 4-3-3, which makes sense. Can’t play on the wing, doesn’t fit the #9, can’t play (really) at the 4-3-3 “10” role, so they decided to offload him rather than adjust to his skill set. I think he will fit in much better in RBNY’s 4-4-2 Diamond. Excited to see him play!

Tough to see Tchani leave. He’ll be a great player soon.

2. Posted by dth on 2011/04/01 at 10:46 AM

Tchani was a good option for the Red Bulls. Surprised they’d let him go so quickly, but I suppose you have to give up something to get something.

How will this locker room work out again?

• Posted by dth on 2011/04/01 at 10:50 AM

Also: evidence of a win-now mentality for the Red Bulls? They’re getting much older with their trade, and they’re a middle-aged-to-old team now. Do they expect Ream and Agudelo to be leaving sooner rather than later?

3. Clearly NYRB is betting on taking it all this year. My question is, unless TFC is swallowing a large chunk of his salary just to get rid of a cancer, how is NYRB fitting DeRo under the cap?

4. Posted by Joe on 2011/04/01 at 11:15 AM

Happy April fools to you too Matthew

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/04/01 at 12:28 PM

Did I miss something?

• Posted by Nelsonatl on 2011/04/02 at 4:29 AM

I think he thought the post was a troll. It was April fools…anyway, matt I’d like to write and enter a piece about being a fan spurs but mainly USMNT. What do I need to do? I can write in Spanish and English. I’ll have hq pics from the AO section and the epic story of driving from atl to Nashville and back all within a Monday to a Wednesday. Also addressed AO chants, pitch side vantage point, and an ever burgeoning love for USMNT. Ok there’s probably a ceiling but I haven’t seen it yet.

Please feel free to email me. I’d love to give back to a site that has enhanced my soccer knowledge and dialogue.

Also dro is a great player. A Canadian Dempsey if you will…glad I got him on my mls fantasy team for TSGs league.

• Posted by Joe on 2011/04/02 at 7:36 AM

I thought this was another April Fools day article like the Captain America one.

5. Posted by TFCfan on 2011/04/01 at 12:22 PM

TFC is totally retarded. WTF are they thinking. It just goes to show how stupid this team is and how little anyone at MLSE knows about football. Trade the only thing worth a damn at the team. Glad i didn’t renew my seasons ticket to watch TFC be the whipping boy of the league. TFC has no balls!

• Posted by dth on 2011/04/01 at 2:04 PM

Nah, this trade makes perfect sense to me for TFC. De Rosario was a guy who didn’t want to be there, and he’s old besides. It’s going to take at least two years, probably three, to make TFC a contender if all goes well. De Rosario will be 34 or 35 by then. Why bother? Tchani is a good talent, but not so incandescent that he’ll receive big transfer fees. He’ll be with TFC in three years and probably be three years better.

6. Posted by Mike on 2011/04/01 at 1:23 PM

Backe must really be pushing to win the Supporter’s Shield haha

7. I have mixed feelings on DeRo back to the Dynamo if that is indeed a possibility. He’s definitely got the talent and solves Houston’s need for a #10 for the next few seasons, but I wonder if his entitlement/check writing/sometimes diva-esque nature will help or hurt the club in the long run.

Knowing what I do of Kinnear I imagine he’d only bring DeRo back if he knew that wasn’t going to be an issue.

• Posted by Kevin on 2011/04/02 at 12:04 PM

I’d rather have Holden back. Why did we not sign Feilhaber in the transfer window? It was never a rumor, but it just seems like a logical and good signing. The other possibility could have been JFT who said he wanted to come to MLS, but as far as I know we never even looked into it. I have my doubts about what Canetti and whether he truly thinks fans of Houston have expectations. Kinnear has been working his @ss off to make this team better and I think as evidenced by Oduro being traded promptly after game one and the speech he gave to the team. I miss Oliver Luck whom we should name the new stadium or field or section after.

• Posted by dth on 2011/04/02 at 12:07 PM

Oliver Luck is a great human being, and his greatest contribution to humanity is Andrew Luck.

• I’m giving Canetti a bit more time to see what he does on the DP front before passing judgment, I do agree that Feilhaber would’ve been a great addition. Canetti is still learning the ropes a bit and I do believe he’s got the club’s best interests in mind, this summer’s transfer window could be very telling.

8. Posted by mccul105 on 2011/04/01 at 7:01 PM

Does this now make Toronto FC the worst team in MLS? As stated above they are playing a 4-3-3 this year and DeRo wasn’t a good fit for it. Call me crazy but getting rid of a locker-room cancer and replacing him with 2 solid younger players that fit into the coach’s system might mean a better TFC.

One has to think that morale is going to improve now that such a major distraction is gone. Along with the number of poor seasons and amazing turnout from the fanbase those players have got to want to do better this season and at least compete every game. Plus a coach that wants to play attractive football….can it work with MLS level talent? Not sure. Hopefully he gets a really chance, unlike his predecessors, at improving the team and implementing his system because this is a serious rebuilding effort.

• TFC seems to be a team in search of an identity, great support but a rather inept organization on most fronts.

• Posted by Mike Mc on 2011/04/02 at 10:02 PM

Agreed, same ownership group that manages the thriving Raptors and Maple Leafs right? And giving DeGuzman $1.7m a year? I just wonder how long the fans will keep turning out if the product on the field remains poor.

They’ve had the same GM since expansion(I think).