Tealicious: Bracebury With A Great Effort

Khari Stephenson might’ve had the blast of the night, but Sporting KC’s Teal Bunbury–a top the Golden Boot table–showed why he may soon move into at least consideration for “top striker” label in MLS.

Bunbury netted two in stunning, composed fashion as Sporting KC–in their 3rd road game–came away with a draw in Vancouver, BC.

Our TSG interview with Teal from earlier this year.

———-

———-

1. Posted by Wallace on 2011/04/03 at 12:52 AM

Competition can only help the US striker situation… This is going to be really interesting with Altidore, Agudelo and Bunbury and possibly Davies competing for Gold Cup spots.

2. Posted by Mud on 2011/04/03 at 6:57 AM

Teal for president

3. Posted by Bode on 2011/04/03 at 7:20 AM

Love the Canadian announcer on the second goal, “Bunbury dekes, Bunbury scooores!”

Maybe it’s time to give Jozy a break from the national team…

4. Posted by Cameron on 2011/04/03 at 8:16 AM

I can imagine that there are some very angry Canadian soccer fans right about now.

Two great goals right there.

5. Posted by dude on 2011/04/03 at 8:18 AM

This is excellent. I was hoping that all the young forwards in the league would start competing with each other, and it looks like its happening. Agudelo, Bunbury, Davies, who knows, maybe Salgado will start making noise. The great thing is, we don’t need all of them to be national team worthy, we just need to make forward a privilege.

6. Posted by Berg on 2011/04/03 at 8:19 AM

He almost had an identical goal to the first from the opposite side, just pushing it wide. Outside of the plays themselves, the thing I enjoy most is the composed manner Bunbury finished. He received the ball, knew exactly what he wanted to do and executed. For me moving forward, Bunbury and Agudelo should be getting the first look up top for the Nats.

The game last night, while sloppy in midfield at times, was exciting to watch. Sporting’s offensive tools have the potential to be fantastic. Even with Omar Bravo absent, Bunbury, Kamara and Sapong (who looked strong moving forward and had a willingness to track) impressed. Fatigue was massive in the home stretch with Sporting’s back line just not having the juice necessary to close. Hats off to the Whitecaps for pushing for the tie as they showed an immense amount of desire.

7. Posted by dth on 2011/04/03 at 9:10 AM

To reignite a debate we were having: if Bunbury is playing well, we have the personnel to run a 4-2-3-1 more effectively. Bunbury isn’t better than either Altidore or Agudelo, but he would fit that formation better. If you’re interested in playing that formation well–which I still would be.

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2011/04/03 at 10:54 AM

Many different thoughts swirling in my head…

1) Not sure that Altidore is better than Bunbury. That may seem harsh but it is really an indictment of Altidore’s last two matches.

2) I am assuming that Agudelo would play in the 3 line with Dempsey and Donovan. Otherwise we still lack three excelent players for the 3. I really don’t ever want to see Edu or Jones in the 3 line. Don’t think Bradley can do it either but I am silling to be proven wrong.

3) If Agudelo is in the line of 3 then my guess is that the 4-4-1-1 we played against Para plays much like a 4-2-3-1. I thought that in Paraguay we played close to a 4-2-3-1 as Agudelo came back deep (at least deep enough to get into the third band of four bands).

4) I really want to see Bunbury against Spain without Altidore.

Glad to see that despite the fact that we don’t have a true top class striker we are at least moving past the “Altidore by default” stage.

• Posted by dth on 2011/04/03 at 2:14 PM

Agudelo in the “3” line would work. But there are a lot of options in my mind that are worth experimenting with (in no particular order): Chandler, Bedoya, Diskerud, Feilhaber…

I agree that Edu and Jones wouldn’t work. Bradley has played there occasionally for ‘Gladbach–and didn’t look terrible, I should note, though his team, overall, did. Still, I’d avoid the idea. Some team’s going to enjoy getting to pick at ‘Gladbach’s good players: Bradley and Marco Reus, basically.

• Posted by BernieBernier on 2011/04/03 at 4:19 PM

I am up for experimenting but not until after the gold cup. I want to keep the experimenting to the minimum from now until the end of the Gold Cup. I look at all 4 of the guys you mentioned as more 2014 candidates.

I am up for mix/match (figure out which is our best CB pairing but not introducing new players to the mix). I don’t subscribe to the fact that the first round is easy and therefore we can figure out as we go up until Mexico.

Would love to see a heat map of Agudelo against Paraguy.

• Posted by dth on 2011/04/03 at 5:02 PM

I think experimenting is fine during the early stages of the Gold Cup. Our first round opponents are Canada, Panama, and Guadeloupe anyway.

8. Posted by Joe on 2011/04/03 at 11:25 AM

I love watching this kid. Bunbury makes me want to watch Sporting and Agudelo makes me want to watch NYRB. Now if we could only get some people fighting to be a left back for the USMNT. I like that Bun-Bury

• There’s a kid by the name of Greg Garza playing for the U-20s and G.D. Estoril Praia (Portugal) who looked very good in the first half against Panama. So good, that my friends and I were shouting for him to replace Bornstein immediately.

9. Posted by Ufficio on 2011/04/03 at 11:27 AM

I like the fact that he didn’t do any ridiculous dances.

10. Posted by Opher on 2011/04/03 at 12:23 PM

In that second youtube video, his second goal, did the crowd start chanting “traitor”? It sounded like it. If so that is very funny. Obviously referencing his choice to play for USA and not Canada.

• Posted by Berg on 2011/04/04 at 7:30 AM

The Whitecaps’ fans booed or shouted “Traitor” every time he touched the ball. I liked it. Let’s get a little vitriol between teams in the league and have some fun.

• Posted by Colin on 2011/04/04 at 8:39 AM

Would be nice to see him starting June 7 against Canada at Ford Field in Detroit (the stadium is 2 miles from Canadian soil)

11. Posted by scweeb on 2011/04/03 at 6:51 PM

Lets just hope this keeps up!! and i love that right after not being picked or played his next game he makes the statement that i am here and you need to look at me!

• Posted by joe on 2011/04/03 at 8:42 PM

I think the reason he wasn’t picked had little to do with ability and more his injury. I bet if Bunbury had already been playing with KC he would have gotten a call-up

12. Posted by Russell P on 2011/04/03 at 9:47 PM

The MLS is converting me. What a great game with stories for the league.. Of course I only saw the highlights. Is there a 30 or 60 minute highlight show alla EPL Review?

Teal is the Real Deal. The goals he scores are legit. His turn and shoot is way ahead of Altidores. Bradley has got to give Juan and Teal 30 mins v Spain.

• Posted by Durant Durant on 2011/04/04 at 8:37 AM

I agree, as a Texas resident, I wish I could see crowds like that at FC Dallas games. Unfortunately, I think as long as they remain up north in the burbs 45 minutes from Dallas, that isn’t going to happen. I would love to see a soccer team in Austin.

I also agree that Teal has more to offer than jozy. For as big as Jozy is, he seems to be useless in the air. He is good putting pressure on a defender and getting fouls, but his finishing is average at best.

• Posted by Alex on 2011/04/04 at 5:03 PM

I got MLS Matchday Live for this game and it did not disappoint. Seriously. If you have 60 bucks or so to spare, this game even in the living room is worth it! One of the most exciting MLS games I’ve ever seen.

• Posted by The Dude on 2011/04/04 at 6:15 PM

Bit late to the party but every week there is an hour review show the MLS puts out. This week part 1 is here: http://www.mlssoccer.com/videos?catid=112&id=13396

13. Posted by Colin on 2011/04/04 at 8:41 AM

What stands out to me from these clips is that he used both his left and right foot to good effect…and stayed composed when it came time to hit the ball.

14. Posted by dth on 2011/04/04 at 7:12 PM

So….MLS soccer nominated the SECOND goal for goal of the week. Is it just me, or is this crazy?