Dynamic? Koke Headed To Houston

Koke away?

Aris FC’s prodigious Spanish striker Sergio “Koke” Contreras Pardo is rumored headed to MLS side Houston Dynamo as their DP.

Aris FC’s official site has notice of the termination of his contract with them and move to MLS.

An on Koke’s Facebook page, posts of “good luck in America” abound.

The Dynamo will pick up the vastly needed DP they’ve been seeking to add to an attack that is chock full of target men (Brian Ching, Will Bruin), but light on snipers.

38 nets in 175 appearances for Koke for the Greek side.

1. Exciting news for the Dynamo.

But really, Creed for the video? Ha

2. Glad to see the Dynamo add what looks like a dangerous attacking options up top. Also like that we’re going after a guy in his prime and not someone looking for a retirement destination, really looking forward to seeing what he can do with Davis, Ching, and Cameron.

3. Posted by JohnC on 2011/04/13 at 10:21 AM

I made it 24 seconds before the mute button was hit, holy bad taste out of Greece.

4. Posted by christos on 2011/04/13 at 10:43 AM

KOKE WILL NEVER FORGET ….ARIS FOR EVER… EVEN DEATH IS NOT ENOUGH…GOOD LUCK SERGIO, WE HOPE SEE YOU BACK … ARIS ARIS ARIS ARIS SALONICA

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/04/13 at 10:48 AM

Hey–thanks for finding our publication Christos. Got anymore of a scouting report?

Why was Koke such a revered captain?

• Posted by christos on 2011/04/13 at 1:31 PM

KOKE LOVES THE FWNS AND GAVE EVERYTHING. YOU’LL WATCH THE INTERVIEW BEFORE LEFT ARIS HE’S CRYING AND CRYING. GOOD LUCK TO YOUR TEAM, FROM NOW I AM FANS OF HOUSTON….. ARIS – HOUSTON -KOKE KOKE KOKE KOKE…..(SORRY FOR MY MISTAKES)

5. Posted by Mike on 2011/04/13 at 10:47 AM

Holy crap! We’ve been looking to sign a DP for a while. Fans have been restless to say the least. I am not up to speed on this guy, BUT I am incredibly hopeful based on the fact that he has been described as “prodigious”, at least on this website. I’ll wait for the official word before I get too excited/concerned that he is actually headed to Houston. Anybody have more info on this guy or an opinion on his talent? How does “Prodigious” in the Greek Super League translate to MLS, more or less Prodigious in MLS?

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/04/13 at 10:49 AM

Mike. I should defer on prodigious. My apologies. I’ve seen highlights of him and some games when I watched for EJ and Freddy Adu.

That said, I’ve read quite a bit of game and fan reviews this morning that talk about him being a model professional and soul of the team for awhile.

He has been Aris’s best player for the past few years. Apparently bit of a falling out with the coach this year.

6. Posted by christos on 2011/04/13 at 10:51 AM

MIKE SERGIO IS GREAT PLAYER.. I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU EXPECT FROM HIM BUT WHEN HE HAS THE NET FRONT HE NEVER MISS… YOU CAN SEE ALSO IN YOU TUBE ”ARIS -BOCA” THE ATMOSPHERE..

• Posted by Mike on 2011/04/13 at 11:14 AM

Christos, Thanks. No disrespect intended, I am just ignorant about his abilities. Also, a little jaded based on Dynamo’s history w/ DPs. Love the passion you have, I’ll check out “ARIS-BOCA”

7. Posted by antony on 2011/04/13 at 11:35 AM

Hello to all from the capital of Macedonia,Thessaloniki in Greece!We say the city of God of war ARIS (Mars)!I have to tell you Sergio is a great player,in his first 2 seasons in Aris he was scoring with no mercy to the opponents!He was fantastic as a striker!The next 3 years his coaches placed him as an AMC and he wasnt scoring so much but he gave many assist to other strikers!We love him because he had been a good proffessional, always 100% for the team and so close to the fans!I m sure he ll do great there!He had also played for Malaga (ESP) and Marselle (FRA). I m also glad to communicate with people who are interested so much for footbal (socer) from a country that this sport is 4th or 5th in popularity!

8. Posted by Jorge on 2011/04/13 at 12:52 PM

I think that the Dynamo really should shoot for a Center Attacking Midfielder as a DP. That being said I’ve never watched this guy play. One thing I can tell you is that the Dynamo have an excellent front office have have obviously working tirelessly to make this team great. They have overhauled the team even some of the veterans that have been here since the beginning. You can tell they are committed to a quality team. If you have any doubts take a look how fast they traded Oduro after he missed an open net this season.

• Many Dynamo fans would agree with you. However, we’re also really lacking a non-target striker, Bruin looks promising but he’s built in a similar mold to Ching (with a bit more pace and attacking ability I think).

I also wonder if Koke possibly might play some as a CAM? Sounds like he’s played the position at Aris but is probably better suited as a pure striker.

• Posted by Papabear on 2011/04/13 at 1:31 PM

Someone said that he has played a CAM role for Aris lately. I think the Dynamo intend to use him up top though…maybe in a withdrawn forward type role underneath Ching/Bruin/etc? we need someone to compliment our stable of target men.

• Posted by James on 2011/04/13 at 8:02 PM

The Dynamo are still in pursue of Je-Vaughn Watson. I don’t know if he is a Central Attacking Midfielder, but at least we still have Cameron on the pitch.

9. Posted by Mike on 2011/04/13 at 1:07 PM

Anthony, thanks for the info. This is unbelievable to hear about a rumor, and within an hour or so, get input from someone on the far side of the world. Based on stats from Aris FC I noticed his goal scoring has fallen off recently, but as you mentioned this appears to be from a change of position from striker to AMC, I assume attacking midfielder role? Dont see any stats on assists?? This is awesome to hear directly from his fans. What is even more awesome is that he comes from the “God of War FC”/Aris FC.

10. Finally a good big move by the front office. Prior to this I think the best thing done by the front office or Kinnear, whoever it was, was to get rid of Oduro. I can’t wait for the official statement and I know who will be on the back of my new Dynamo jersey. Well actually that will be Ching until his retirement, but definitely Koke next. Sounds like a great player. I’m happy to see so much positive input about him from ARIS FANS. That’s what I call credible for player assessment

11. Posted by Yiannis on 2011/04/13 at 3:18 PM

Hello to all football fans from the states.
    I would like to inform you that you have taken a part from our hearts to your team!
    Koke is a talented player when it comes to offense. Also very inspiring to the fans and his co-players with his passion. Very creative, great technique. He will keep Houston fans satisfied and happy about the money they spend for the ticket for each game. He is a great professional and he will bleed his t-shirt for the team. Support him and you will get the best of him.
    You lucky ba….ds!!!!!!!!
    Now you will have support from overseas for your team!!!!!
    From this moment dynamo Houston became international.
    Good luck Koke! Good luck Dynamo!

12. Posted by Giorgos on 2011/04/13 at 3:37 PM

Hi from Thessaloniki…
    Well, the truth is that Koke was something like a symbol for us. He signed for our team 5 years ago when our team returned to the first league after one year in the second. He marked the “rebirth” of Aris. That’s why a special relationship was developed between Koke and Aris’ fans. First two seasons, he was awesome. One of the 2-3 best strikers of the league. Many goals, many assists and the leader of the team. However, the situation was a little different the next seasons. As you can see from the stasts, he started not to score so many goals. One reason maybe is the change of positions. Some of the coaches of Aris did not use him as a striker, but as an Attacking Midfielder or even Left-Winger. He has good technique, he can keep the ball, give assists. He is not so strong physically, and there were some rumours here about not having the perfect life for an athlete. But you know these are just rumours.
    It’s a strange day for us today because his departure is something like the end of an era for out team. He was our captain, we were expecting a lot for him, high pressure, so i think he will calmer and more relaxed there. Some fans started getting a bit angry with his performances lately,but in general he is a good player. This change will be good for him.

13. Posted by Yiannis on 2011/04/13 at 3:43 PM

• Posted by christos on 2011/04/14 at 3:00 AM

KOKE WILL NEVER FORGET YOU….ARIS -DYNAMO FROM NOW ARE BROTHERTEAM BECAUSE OF KOKE……

14. Posted by Yiannis on 2011/04/13 at 3:46 PM

15. So does this mean no addition in attacking midfield? Is Dom planning on playing in attacking midfield? If we play him up top, we still have the same problem in not having any creativity. Then again maybe the JeVaughan Watson signing will add that. I haven’t actually seen him play though, so…

Cameron just doesn’t cut it.

• Posted by coop on 2011/04/13 at 6:16 PM

Come on. I think you’re being a little unfair to Cameron. He hasn’t had a full season to find his place in mid. I know we all want results now but I think Cameron can be a force at CAM. Let the team settle and the depth chart balance a little. Hell based on recent form you could say the same thing about Brad Davis…

I am excited to have Koke in orange!!!

• I’m not saying he doesn’t have potential. He just doesn’t read the game well enough, nor have enough creativity to survive there I think he would make a good defensive or right midfielder though.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/04/13 at 9:07 PM

@Coop.

Huge Brad Davis fan, but I think Geoff Cameron is playing out of position in the midfield. Just my two cents.

• Posted by James on 2011/04/14 at 5:39 AM

He played great in Defensive Midfield last year. Maybe move Geoff back to DM should the Dynamo sign Watson.

• Posted by Papabear on 2011/04/14 at 7:35 AM

Cameron has never really played the DM role for any period of time I can remember. I think he could, but hasn’t filled that role yet. He was hurt most of last year….but he did fill in VERY nicely as a CB for us a couple of years ago. In fact he was named MLS best XI in 2009 as a defender.

• Posted by Mike on 2011/04/14 at 11:36 AM

My gut feeling is he’ll play up top. As far as Cameron, Dom will give him more time to make that position his own. Matthew, in regards to Cameron playing out of position in midfield, I think the jury is still out, but I understand where you’re coming from. Still waiting for official word from Dynamo on Koke.

• Posted by Kevin on 2011/04/14 at 2:05 PM

I feel as if Cameron get almost confused as to where to go while playing attacking midfield. When he played CB, his pisitioning was much more strict. In attacking midfield, he has to dictate play and tell everybody else where to be. He isn’t doing that.

16. Posted by matthewsf on 2011/04/13 at 9:08 PM

On Geoff Cameron by TSG’s Jay Bell…last year: http://theshinguardian.com/2010/11/09/geoff-cameron-candid-on-the-dynamo/

17. Posted by SamT on 2011/04/14 at 8:25 AM

Love the goal at 3:00 mark in the top video. Give and go, receives with no time and off balance, and then takes the shot anyway. So many strikers try to settle and make a better shot for themselves there — with the result ending in a defensive block or a GK save. Great goalscoring instincts. Excited for Houston.

18. Posted by H-town on 2011/04/15 at 6:18 PM

Its official KOKE is a Dynamo. He has the skill and talent to make an immediate impact. Thank goodness he isn’t French, they only seem to get red cards or miss on sitters. I wouldn’t be surprised if they pull off the trifecta and get Benny after grabbing JeVaughn Watson.

19. Posted by christos on 2011/04/17 at 2:18 AM