Love This: Timbers Graduate In Style

Update: From September 3rd of last year. We give this some run today at TSG. Congrats on your MLS home opener Rip City.

——

I wish someone would have told me about this beforehand.

Those who visit TSG know Miss TSG and I used to do the long distance thing between SF and Portland.

I’ve got a professed love for Rip City, what with its unfailingly friendly citizens, overrated coffee (sorry :>), phenomenal food (in fact a few months ago I mentioned Portland had the best food of any MLS town and Screen Door is my favorite restaurant), Short Sands surf break (just a skip out of town) and heavy porters.

Tuesday night represented the final USL game for the Timbers as they motor into MLS.

As a tribute to the team, the supporter group came prepped with a host of sunflowers–see the reason below, even cooler.

Having been to a host of Trailblazer games, I’m excited for MLS in Portland (and that has nothing to do with the product on the field yet.)

—–

Just learned this, at this site too:

“You are my Sunshine” is part of Timbers lore. It is sung at every Timbers game as a tribute. Timber Jim’s daughter, Hannah, was killed in an automobile accident in 2004, and in her memory, the Timbers Army made a tradition of singing “You Are My Sunshine,” often led by a tearful Timber Jim.

1. Posted by John on 2010/09/03 at 12:26 PM

Also worth noting that 12th pick (of the Crew) Bright Dike has been performing since picked up by the timbers. 6 goals in 7 games.

2. Posted by Faith on 2010/09/06 at 7:37 AM

That both made me smile and gave me goosebumps. Awesome.

3. Posted by Johninho on 2010/09/06 at 4:13 PM

I’m so stoked for Timbers MLS next year. I will fly back from Florida to sit in my old section at least once next season.

4. [...] Portland Timbers (yes the same ones whose fans brought tears to our eyes with their rendition of You Are My Sunshine) have just fired the first MLS “shot across the bow” to their long-time archenemy the Seattle [...]

5. Posted by Crow on 2011/04/14 at 6:03 AM

“The Dream of the ’90’s in alive in Portland.. Portland… Portland”

6. Posted by John on 2011/04/14 at 7:24 AM

The atmosphere is going to be absolute madness in the North End tonight.

7. Posted by John on 2011/04/14 at 7:57 AM

Some News updates:

Portland sign Colombian midfielder Diego Chara as their first ever DP. He is a speedy box to box midfielder.

Rumors are that there may be another signing by Friday… we shall see.

• Posted by FutbolAmerica on 2011/04/14 at 8:50 AM

I don’t think it will be a major signing. Most reports indicate it’s the defender who has been most recently playing in azerbaijan who has been training with the team. That said, Diega Chara will be a good addition. He and Perlaza played together at Tolima in Colombia so they already have some idea of how the other plays.

Can’t wait for tonight though, hope they play well. Definitely will be a raucus atmosphere. RCTID.

• Posted by FutbolAmerica on 2011/04/14 at 8:51 AM

*Diego Chara, not Diega.

• Posted by John on 2011/04/14 at 8:56 AM

Constantine MIGHT be the signing although I tend to think that his announcement wouldn’t make waves. I don’t believe it will be “as big” as Diego, but I would think it might be someone else other than Constantine (the defender from Azerbaijan).

Horstache Lives!

• Posted by John on 2011/04/15 at 10:57 AM

Appears that one of the rumors is Andres ‘Manga’ Escobar. 20 year old striker from (where else) Colombia!

8. Posted by Colin on 2011/04/14 at 9:36 AM

Damn…I used to live 40 miles north of Portland when I was a kid and missed out on all this fine stuff you speak of…including the Timbers.

9. Posted by John on 2011/04/14 at 10:42 AM

Need some music to quell / build the anticipation?

Here we have Peter Yates “Green is the Color”

Or if you prefer new school we have Popinski’s Popcast…

10. Posted by John on 2011/04/14 at 2:03 PM

News reports and photos indicate fans started lining up 10 hrs before the gates opened.

11. Posted by shoaff on 2011/04/15 at 10:35 AM

awesome. i now love this team and their fans.

12. Posted by Stephen Rosenshein on 2011/04/15 at 3:43 PM

you would think the treehuggers in portland would have better sense than to kill an entire field of flowers for one stupid cheer. Shame on them.