Match Night Live: Timbers vs. Fire

Jen Weld, the center of MLS Universe tonight...

Well Portland fans. It’s finally here. Your home opener. Approximately 600-some-odd parking spots around Jeld Wen Stadium so I can only imagine the stress of those driving being offset by the absolute joyousness occurring right now on the TriMet public transportation system.

Cooper has always been en fuego against the Fire. Check it.

Quick note here that Denver and Portland got their public trans initiatives going about the same time–vastly different strategies, vastly different effect. More here.

But back to the “at-hand.”

A raucous crowd rain-or-rainshine expected tonight for Portland’s home opener and the Chicago Fire are a crafty opponent–that’s managed to mildly surprise here in the early going–for the Timbers to welcome to their yard.

And let me note here, much to the chagrin of Timbers fans I would imagine, a somewhat unfair and over zealous media has largely jumped on the Timbers cheering bandwagon this week and acted as accomplices to the Timbers cheering section. TSG’s statement, “Beyond thrilled for MLS in a city that can clearly well-support it’s franchise. That said, this an early season game between two “not sure what to make of thems” and there are many cities and fanbases that do their squads proud.”

Looking forward to seeing more of Uruguayan Diego Chavez. That he wears #99 only makes we want him to sparkle more....

That’s not gasoline for the Fire. Just a statement.

Tonight’s expectation? I expect a Timbers win and because of that crowd….if John Spencer pulls out the stops. I’ll explain.

You’re looking at a Chicago side on the road and with a game against the Galaxy back home this weekend. The Timbers come of a bye weekend and arguably had more prep time for Chicago. You know they want a win in their home opener.

If John Spencer goes with a true attacking side, employing rookie Darlington Nagbe and speedster (but MLS fantasy sinkhole to date) Sal Zizzo in the midfield, the speed of Portland’s attack should test a young Chicago defense.

The first goal turns this one in my opinion. No worse than a draw for the team that scores first. Should it be Portland, then the Timbers might lay siege. Should it be Fire, than they’ll take the ax out of the Timber’s attack by sitting back and slowing down the match.

Enjoy.

1. Posted by dth on 2011/04/14 at 5:08 PM

de los Cobos was making noises about rotating the team due to the two matches the Fire are playing this week. Something to keep an eye on.

I have Timbers winning this.

2. Posted by Ufficio on 2011/04/14 at 8:03 PM

Stream anyone? Go Fire.

3. Posted by mbw on 2011/04/14 at 8:21 PM

As nice as it would be to have a tolerable color guy on ESPN, I’ve got to allow that the John Harkes era is doing wonders for my Spanish.

• Posted by dth on 2011/04/14 at 8:30 PM

Speaking of commentary errors, it’s kind of annoying that ESPN can’t be bothered to note the Fire are playing with three at the back instead of four.

4. Posted by Dikranovich on 2011/04/14 at 8:44 PM

The chainsaw is awesome

5. Posted by Alex on 2011/04/14 at 8:49 PM

Not gonna lie, as a Sounders fan, I’m supposed to hate the timbers. What the crowd and this new stadium is amazing. Glad to have you as a part of the MLS.

6. Posted by dth on 2011/04/14 at 9:40 PM

Thomas Rongen was apparently interested in bringing Orr Barouch into the u-20 team, but he’s not a citizen.

In other USMNT news, Sean Johnson has been, ah, suspect tonight.

7. Posted by EFG on 2011/04/15 at 5:50 AM

I have a very hard time watching two cities that I don’t live in play in an MLS match (ex. Columbus v San Jose – no offense to either of those cities), but I will watch any home game that’s on involving Seattle or Portland. More puzzling, I may be beginning to like Kenny Cooper.

• Posted by FutbolAmerica on 2011/04/15 at 9:34 AM

Were you as puzzled as the rest of us at the no-goal call? I swear that looked like every in-swinger I’ve ever seen Donovan kick and his are never ruled out. I think Cooper deserved the goal for his hard work all game.

• Posted by EFG on 2011/04/15 at 10:51 AM

The ball DID cross the line (from what I remember) and those aren’t judgement calls. If someone wants to post a link of the video again, I’ll go back and rewatch it.

• Posted by John on 2011/04/15 at 10:59 AM

I have seen a few reports from other people who were at the game saying that the ball went out and came back in, sometimes…. the ref’s get it right. Someone notify Leander so that he can put a lid on his mock outrage! OUTRAGE! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE.

• Posted by Ufficio on 2011/04/15 at 1:05 PM

From the angles I saw, it didn’t look like there was any way in hell that the ball out. But Portland’s fourth goal should have been disallowed, so the bad calls evened out in this one.