Gareth Bale Wins PFA Player Of The Year, More

Tottenham Hotspur’s Gareth Bale was selected by Professional Footballers’ Association Player of the Year. The award is voted on by the players.

Bale pressing forward...

The other nominees were Charlie Adam, Samir Nasri, Scott Parker, Carlos Tevez, Rafael van der Vaart and Nemanja Vidic.

While Bale sparkled–more so in Champion’s League play–TSG would have given a vote and the award to United’s Vidic, the perennial stalwart of United’s backline who balanced multiple partners in again providing shutdown defense.

The Premier League Team of the Year as selected was:

Goalie: Edwin Van Der Saar (Manchester United)

Robbed?

DEF: Bacary Sagna (Arsenal), Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United), Vincent Kompany (Manchester City), Ashley Cole (Chelsea)

MID: Nani (Manchester United), Samir Nasri (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), Gareth Bale (Tottenham Hotspur)

FW: Carlos Tevez (Manchester City), Dimitar Berbatov (Manchester United)

Bullets:

• In this eat-crow segment, TSG probably would have went with Luka Modric, Charlie Adam or Scotty Parker over Jack Wilshere who came on late in the campaign but was not a different maker early. Sounds like a hometown pick there.

• Good to see Edwin Van Der Saar recognized as always, nobody marshals their defense better than the Dutchman.

• Odd that Berbatov is selected as Sir Alex Ferguson has acknowledged that Javier Hernandez has passed him on the depth chart. A case could be made for Peter Odemwingie in that spot–seriously.

• Wasn’t impressed by either of Sagna’s or Ashley Cole’s campaigns this year. Thankfully the overrated Patrice Evra was not the option. I would have went with Leighton Baines at one of the cornerback spots–great defense, solid free kicks and 11 assists to boot.

1. Posted by CrazyMike366 on 2011/04/17 at 11:07 PM

Is there an Ashley Cole joke I missed somewhere in there or are ya’ll just combining Alex da Costa and Ashley Cole in a gigantic fail filled brain fart?

And agreed on most points – its a shame that those other guys got on the list at the expense of Leighton Baines, Charlie Adam, and even Kevin Nolan. Although I do think Berbatov’s league leading 21 goals affords him a place on the list, regardless of Chicharito’s place in the pecking order.

Great site; long time reader, first time commenter. Mad props.

2. Posted by highmindedincognito on 2011/04/18 at 12:55 AM

Part of me wants to say that I’m stunned by Bale winning, but I’m not. The media hype-machine has gone into overdrive on this one, based almost entirely on a half at the San Siro. I mean, the lad last scored or assisted on the 1st of January. Compare that to Nani’s contribution over the course of the season: 9 goals and 18 assists.

Baines is a great shout. I’m not sure who I’d have at right back; it’s the one position that doesn’t even have a decent option.

• Posted by Colin on 2011/04/18 at 5:11 AM

Cant agree more on Nani over Bale. Nani has been healthy more often this season and when he is healthy has been more influential to Man Utd’s success this season than Bale has been to Tottenham’s 5th place effort so far…and I would consider myself a devout “hater” of all things Manchester United, but I’ve gotta give this one to Nani.

Also, would take award Baines before Sagna or Cole.

Feel like Berbatov definitely earns a spot. Without his goals in the start and middle of the season, while Rooney was struggling to find the net, ManU wouldn’t be comfortably at the top.

Same feelings about Adam, Parker, Modric over Wilshere…but also feel like Nolan and Raul Mireles have had excellent seasons as well…maybe not better than Wilshere tho.

3. Posted by joe on 2011/04/18 at 3:41 AM

Not even an acknowledgement for Stu Holden? He was the leading candidate for this award at Christmas.

4. Posted by chris on 2011/04/18 at 5:35 AM

with, nani, i can’t disagree, but it can be hard to amaze, when you’re expected to amaze..

5. Posted by chris on 2011/04/18 at 5:37 AM

chicharito/berbatov…? what could have happened had the little guy gotten some more of berbatovs minutes early in the year?

• Posted by Colin on 2011/04/18 at 5:38 AM

we will find out next season i suppose.

• Posted by chris on 2011/04/18 at 5:51 AM

should be exciting.
        as much as i hate MU, and love MNT (thus hating mexico..)
        i cant bring myself to hate this kid. he is fantastic!

• Posted by Colin on 2011/04/18 at 6:33 AM

thats EXACTLY how I feel. Dont like ManU, dont like Mexico national team, should doubly dislike Hernandez…but I dont, I think he’s great.

6. Posted by KickinNames... on 2011/04/18 at 6:59 AM

This one is rather hard to figure. Bale flashed like lightning for about 1/3 of the campaign, did his usual extended time on IR, and then was avg for most of the rest. I mean (with all due respect to Eric Lichaj) Eric Lichaj!! marked and muscled him out of an entire game.
    He’s a fantastic player but you expect more than 3 months of good football for Footballer of the Year.
    Wilshere has the makings of a very good player but the England hype machine already has his knighting ceremony planned to follow the 2022 World Cup where he scores 18 goals, subdues the savage peoples of the east and returns England to its former glory.
    Surprised that no TSG tears were shed over Scott Parker not being in the mid group. He or Modric prob should have been there over Wilshere as noted above.

• Posted by chris on 2011/04/18 at 5:18 PM

lichaj was in matchup heaven against bale: footed, speed, and also seemingly his thought process. he just seemed to always make the right choicw. its an annomally in my opinion. as a spurs fan, i was so thrilled about lichaj after seeing that game, but he didnt match up as well after that and now hes fallen off the depth chart at villa. sad.
      aaaand bale has been back tormenting cornerbacks again as of late.

i love bale as much as the next spurs fan, and i thnk he deserves it, but im not gonna sit here and say hes head and shoulders above the rest

7. Posted by dth on 2011/04/18 at 9:02 AM

I’d go: Vidic and Modric as my top two. Good year for the Balkans.

8. Posted by BernieBernier on 2011/04/18 at 3:51 PM

Need a reality check… calling dth, GeorgeCross, etc… looking for an honest non-USA tinted point of view

How warped is my view that Holden was snubbed and more deserving than Wilshire for a spot in the top XI?

Scale of 1 (legit snub)… 4 (debatable but not realistic)… 7 (were you also thinking Dempsey would make it?) to 10 (you only thought it because you have a AO membership card)

• Posted by dth on 2011/04/18 at 3:59 PM

I’m not USA-tinted? Hm, perhaps I’m not trying hard enough.

If Holden had never been injured, perhaps a 3 or so. Wilshere has been very good all season. But, then again–Wilshere and Holden have played about the same number of appearances in the Premier League, so maybe 3 is the right ranking considering the voters could only vote on what they knew at the time of their voting.

The big snub here is Luka Modric, who should bump Berbatov right off of the list. It doesn’t have to be a 4-4-2, you know…

• Posted by John on 2011/04/18 at 4:21 PM

“It doesn’t have to be a 4-4-2, you know…”

Isn’t that a whole DIFFERENT English football argument?

/endjoke

• Posted by BernieBernier on 2011/04/18 at 4:50 PM

No offense intended… really respect your posts… I have learned a lot from you posts as they have caused me to think.

Based on our Japan versus US convo I don’t see you as someone that is irrational when it comes to the USMNT.

Thanks for the response… needed to see the shade of rose on my glasses.

• Posted by dth on 2011/04/18 at 5:24 PM

Oh, no, none taken. Just joking around a bit–the point of sports is to be a little irrational, I think.

Anyway, it seems to me there are quite a few midfielders and defenders on the list but a bit of a dearth of forwards. After Tevez, there aren’t too many forwards who have been consistently excellent in the EPL. For example, early in the season I would’ve sworn Marouane Chamakh would’ve been on this list, but he definitely faded into a nonentity.

9. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/04/24 at 5:39 AM

Bale is a wonderful player, but whether he has done enough on a consistent basis over the whole year is a little suspect. Same for Wilshere (for the senior award). Especially when you consider the form of Vidic and Kompany. Those two players have been outstanding. My third pick, and the gap between 2nd and 3rd is massive btw, would be Parker. Think he’s been great, but such a pity he’s playing on a struggling team.

As for Holden, he probably would have made the shortlist, but like Parker, he would have been making up the numbers given the form of Vidic and Kompany. But of course, this is my opinion, and obviously the players don’t agree…