Now Vancouver vs. San Jose: Drop Your Analysis

This picture is Wondolowski. Wonderful. Comcast HD for this match.

Starsky

I can see raindrops and field turf and that Lenhart’s Starsky & Hutch do. Oh my.

If you’ve never checked out our Steven Lenhart interview, dude, it’s must.

Open affair thus far.

——–

Philadelphia vs. Los Angeles

We’ll be tuning into tonight’s affair between Philly’s Goose Eggs and the Los Angeles Posh Says I Can’ts.

Torres should be, would be the perfect peanut butter in the Bimbo midfield...

Sounded better when I typed it. Sorry.

Tonight, the Galaxy take to Cream Cheese Land to face their second straight Eastern Conference near the top of the table opponent in the Union. The impact of keeper Faryd Mondragon cannot be understated on the a Peter Nowak defense that was the pits last year.

Now it’s the offense for Philly as Carlos Ruiz has found the net in 2011 but also made it difficult integration with the likes of Sebu Le Toux and Danny Mwanga.

The Congo, Guatemala and French natives respectively would all benefit from the insertion of Roger Torres into the line-up. Opportunities have been fleeting for the Union who despite their record have not always controlled the run of play. The insertion of Torres would bring a degree of calmness and incision that would greatly benefit the guys in front of him.

For the Galaxy, they conveniently left their best spot kicker home in David Beckham. Makes sense since Union have given up most of their goals from stopped ball situations (or right after them) this year.

About to…get …it on.

1. Posted by john on 2011/05/11 at 4:45 PM

LA with the pressure early…

2. Posted by dth on 2011/05/11 at 4:46 PM

It makes sense that Philly have dropped Okugo and Torres. They apparently have no intention of holding the ball at all.

3. Posted by john on 2011/05/11 at 4:48 PM

They honestly dont look like they have any idea what to do with their offense.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/11 at 4:48 PM

Revolving door position/movement wise up there. Really a mess.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/11 at 4:51 PM

It’s really incredible the difference between their offense last year and this. Last year their offense was really good and fun to watch–the Mwanga/Le Toux combination was boss. I just don’t know how this happened. It’s highly strange.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/11 at 4:58 PM

Carlos Ruiz made it crowded essentially. He kind of has the same movement as Le Toux, which forces Le Toux to push Mwanga outside only.

Le Toux and Mwanga with space used to combine better.

That said, subtle difference is Philly seems to be playing a little more withdrawn backline this year and thus the service is not there or they’ve got a further way to go to get up the field.

But I’ve only watched four of their games. Best observation I have.

• Posted by john on 2011/05/11 at 5:00 PM

When LeToux and Ruiz played their give and go break down the field awhile ago there was 6 galaxy defenders back and 3 union players up.

4. Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/11 at 4:49 PM

Honestly if I told you before this year that the Galaxy would regret one of their major striker signings 99% would have said Chad Barrett.

Turns out it’s JPA.

• Posted by Alex Song on 2011/05/11 at 10:33 PM

Remember last year’s playoff series vs. SJ?

He looked past it.

He still looks past it.

• Posted by Crow on 2011/05/12 at 5:05 AM

As Angel was walking into the locker room last night I heckled him yelling: “you’re not good enough for MLS you overpaid hack. You’re career is over!” It seemed to tick him off. He fired back with an angry F you! He looked like he wanted to punch me. LOL

• Posted by SamT on 2011/05/12 at 10:21 AM

Glad to see the class level of Philly fan translates to MLS as well.

• Posted by crow on 2011/05/12 at 5:10 PM

I called Angel out for completely underachieving this year in a non vulgar way and you infer that me and all “Philly fans” of any sport are classless. What a ridiculous statement. You would rather stick up for Angel, a player getting paid far too much for his level of production this year. A player who with the assistance of some of his teammates put on one of the most disgusting displays of diving that I have seen in a soccer game in a long time. A player who spewed an F bomb even though there were a couple of little kids nearby.

So “Philly fans” or any fans who heckle an opposing team in a mild way are worse than all fans around the world who participate in racist, violent, and vulgar behavior.

I’m sorry, I didn’t realize it was classless to heckle opposing players. I guess nearly every student section in the country and supporters club around the world is classless then.

The self-righteous attitude of some commenters on this site and their pious comments never cease to amaze and repulse me.

• Posted by crow on 2011/05/12 at 5:19 PM

By the way, I teased Omar Gonzalez for his part in giving up the goal and he gave a goofy smile and a thumbs up. I think athletes making 100k+ and into the millions can take some heckling on the road. And when Frankie Hejduk went by, we cheered him. The diving and histrionics of DeLaGarza and Angel were rightly met with derision in my mind.

Two cool stories- Danny Mwanga came through after the game and spent over 10 minutes signing autographs. I told him I hope he chooses the USA. He gave me a wry smile. We’ll have to see.

Also, one of my close friends is from Guatemala and even though I’m not a big fan I was ecstatic to get Ruiz to sign my shirt for him. He was thrilled when I let him know I got Ruiz’s autograph for him. It was just nice to see the players taking some extra minutes to meet fan demands, despite the fact they were being called in.

5. Posted by john on 2011/05/11 at 4:50 PM

What a ball by mapp there……

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/11 at 4:51 PM

He’s so freaking good, 35% of the time.

Seriously great vision with the ball. And a lefty to boot. Shame’s he’s never been healthy and/or “on” at the same time.

6. Posted by john on 2011/05/11 at 4:56 PM

I’m confused… I think they just spliced a shot of the 2002 men’s national team bench into the feed but they were wearing yellow.

7. Posted by dth on 2011/05/11 at 5:50 PM

I leave for an hour, and return to see that the Union have achieved their desired scoreline: they’re down 1-0.

Oh, you mean they’ve been trying to win this game? REALLY?

8. Posted by john on 2011/05/11 at 5:51 PM

Ruiz is doing that thing that drives me crazy where he gets the ball off a union clear and immediately sprays a pass wildly and turns the ball over.

9. Posted by john on 2011/05/11 at 6:18 PM

A nnnnd boom goes the dynamite.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/11 at 6:20 PM

Fun goal by Mwanga. But I’m kind of annoyed the Union’s approach has given them some semblance of a reward. I’m really thinking the Union need an abject loss to rethink their approach (“Oh, wait, you mean we can have a good offensive AND defensive team? NO WAY!”)

• Posted by john on 2011/05/11 at 6:23 PM

I blame the galaxy… they should have all three points wrapped up.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/11 at 6:30 PM

And Mwanga has his best stretch of the season. Maybe, maybe the Union management lose their case of Roberto Mancini-itis and, uh, actually bench the dud players on the team. (I think their best lineup just might be: the same back four as they’ve been starting; Daniel, Okugo, Torres, Mapp; Mwanga, Le Toux.)

• Posted by John on 2011/05/11 at 6:34 PM

The Union tied that in spite of their coaches rather than because…

My word… Ruiz and Le Toux essentially played the same position for 65 minutes of the game. Without Mwanga the Union had no width and all LA had to do was sit in the back and break up the play.

Also, Arena…. wow… One sub with no discernible difference and no response to the fresh legs of the Union…

• Posted by crow on 2011/05/12 at 5:22 PM

I like this lineup alot! I wish Nowak did as well. Its nice seeing Mwanga coming on now. He is quickly becoming the best player on the team (not necessarily the “most important”). I don’t know if Mwanga’s confidence was low early in the year because Nowak was starting him or what.

10. Posted by john on 2011/05/11 at 6:19 PM

It has to be said that Ruiz hasn’t played well.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/11 at 6:22 PM

I don’t think he’s ever really played well. Credit to the Union for trying the idea out–if you can get a guy with his record, it’s a good idea to bring him in and see what happens. But still: you’ve tried Le Toux-Ruiz. You’ve tried Mwanga-Ruiz. Why not try…the forward partnership that scored you all those goals last year?

11. Posted by Ufficio on 2011/05/11 at 6:49 PM

So basically, the Galaxy have urinated away four points in less than a week – on a Donovan empty net miss, and a sweet own-assist to Mwanga.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/11 at 7:23 PM

Always going to be a tough stretch for the Galaxy. Three good teams, two away games, scrunched together. It’s going to get easier the rest of the month…but only a little bit. No easy games at all.

12. Posted by John on 2011/05/11 at 6:58 PM

Vintner just got tossed for Toronto arguing a penalty call in stoppage time at the end of the first half. He did a hissy fit “don’t touch me move” when the referee’s assistant did one of those “hand on the arm to talk personally” moves.

Meanwhile, Dallas converts.

13. Posted by dth on 2011/05/11 at 7:16 PM

Anyone got a stream of Caps-Quakes?

14. Posted by John on 2011/05/11 at 8:12 PM

Well that was nice. Go to a stats screen break and the transfer screen is an Oakland A’s graphic.

15. Posted by dth on 2011/05/11 at 8:18 PM

QUESTION: how did MLSsoccer turn its previously mediocre matchcenter page into a useless one?

16. Posted by John on 2011/05/11 at 8:57 PM

1. Demerits beard is fantastic.
    2. Omar Salgado is lively
    3. Vancouver games get better towards the end
    4. What a crusher for San Jose to let in
    5. Demerits beard really is fantastic

• Posted by Brian on 2011/05/11 at 10:06 PM

I really hope he makes the Gold Cup roster now and sports this throughout the summer.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/11 at 10:27 PM

Hanging with DeMerit on the phone tomorrow or Friday — going to ask his beard some questions. :>

Any questions you, you guys want to add?
      (For the person and the beard)

• Posted by Alex Song on 2011/05/11 at 10:36 PM

Well he probably wouldn’t say anything bad because of team politics and whatnot, but it would be interesting to hear his opinion of Salgado.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/11 at 10:37 PM

I’d be interested in hearing what his thoughts are on MLS, specifically:

a) a lot of attention about physical play–how does it compare to championship/EPL? How does the referee attitude compare to English refs?

b) offensive play: it seems like the league hasn’t featured as much crisp offensive play this year as, say, last year. what does he think of the offensive play?

• Posted by Brian on 2011/05/12 at 12:10 AM

I’d ask him about the groin injury and if he’s hopeful to get called in for the Spain game and the Gold Cup, and how long is he planning on keeping the beard? Just til the end of the Stanley Cup playoffs? Or through the Gold Cup?