Bradley To RFK, Reportedly To See Stanky Leg

Davies in the picture...

Update: TSG made a connection from Steve Goff to information learned through US men’s press lead Michael Kammarman in this piece. We have since learned he was not the source of this information and offer a retraction. Our apologies to the audience and Kammarman.

———-

Washington Post’s Steve Goff just reported that USMNT coach Bob Bradley will travel to RFK stadium to observe the DC United versus Colorado Rapids affair this weekend.

We can be pretty sure that Bradley is not scouting Conor Casey and, per Goff’s commentary, is there to specifically scout Charlie Davies for Gold Cup roster inclusion.

So Davies, firmly on the radar and this week going up against a physical defense in Colorado. Good test.

With Davies in the picture and Jay DeMerit recovered and probably a near lock, the shuffling of the Gold Cup 23 is in full effect.

TSG’s Gold Cup roster predictions from Tuesday, here.

1. Posted by Jared on 2011/05/12 at 1:49 PM

When I first saw the headlines I thought MB90 was coming back to MLS since he wasn’t getting anywhere with Villa.

Good to see that Bob appears to have gotten past the curfew issue.

2. Posted by John on 2011/05/12 at 1:55 PM

Bob – “I don’t know about Davies, but this Conor Casey feller is DAMN IMPRESSIVE!”

3. Posted by Sam on 2011/05/12 at 4:19 PM

If any other player was leading the mls in goals they’d be in the gold cup squad, no questions asked.

4. Posted by dth on 2011/05/12 at 4:46 PM

I see it’s the “Make Fun Of Bob Bradley For No Good Reason Without Evidence” Thread today.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/12 at 7:34 PM

Now, to get a be more serious: I don’t remember too many stories about Bradley scouting MLS games. Leagues abroad? All of the time. But you rarely see Bradley shown in the stands or hear stories about Bradley scouting guys in the MLS. Reportorial oversight or is Bradley actually not scouting MLS in person?

• Posted by EFG on 2011/05/12 at 8:31 PM

I doubt it is an oversight from Goff as all of his reporting is pretty much spot on. If he says BB regularly scouts MLS games, I’m inclined to belief him.

• Posted by Ufficio on 2011/05/12 at 8:37 PM

He just likes to go incognito. He borrows Landon’s sombrero and mustache from that GanaGol commercial.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/12 at 9:01 PM

Actually I know that he scouts most of the players at HDC.

5. Posted by Scott on 2011/05/12 at 5:10 PM

Any response from TSG after saying there was “no way” he makes the roster just two days ago? Even though he hasn’t made the roster yet I thought when I read the article that you’re prediction was too harsh and certain for the league leading scorer.

6. Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/12 at 5:43 PM

Yeah, I’m shocked. I didn’t see Bradley doing this.

This changed my thinking two ways.

1) Bradley is a little concerned by Agudelo’s lack of playing time and both he and Bunbury’s youth to be the speed guy off the bench.

2) We’re going to see a lot of 4-4-2. Because Davies out of all the guys (maybe Agudelo) is the not deployed often to hold up the ball as a lone guy.

But yeah shocked. But again, it’s just scouting.

7. Posted by Martin on 2011/05/12 at 6:28 PM

“Yeah, I’m shocked”

Really? why? Don’t you think you are overeacting just a little?

Isn’t this just part of Bradley’s job?

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/12 at 6:33 PM

Well maybe not shocked. Also the way the piece was written today by WP was highly promotional.

So yeah. Let me stop commenting for a few hours. :>

8. Posted by mbw on 2011/05/12 at 7:11 PM

Isn’t Bradley just doing his job (unlike Fabio Capello: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jonathan_wilson/02/15/sunderland/index.html)? Scouting Davies is just due diligence. Plus, for all this sudden wealth of prospects, the USMNT striker pool ain’t exactly Argentina’s. Among options #1-#4, none are regular starters, none plays in a top-five league, etc.

On Davies, I would add that some of the frustration with him has to do with the apparent inability of the DC midfielders (minus Najar) to pick their heads up until after they’ve missed his runs; and — cheap shot coming — that, while he may not have recovered 100% of his pace, definitive evidence suggests that he’s not the slowest player under consideration for the Gold Cup roster: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWgQ-3uyVgg&feature=related

• Posted by Brian on 2011/05/12 at 9:48 PM

Galaxy fan here. Omar has ZERO shot at the Gold Cup.

And Charlie dived in that video.

• Posted by jb on 2011/05/13 at 5:52 AM

I was about to vehemently disagree with you after watching the vid (for the 1st time), but after a second replay saw youre right. I dunno if he dived, or just tripped himself but the defender didnt touch him.

On another note, when’s the last time we have seen a USMNT striker take on and beat a defender? I’m starting to think a ~90% CD9 is worth having on the gold cup roster.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/13 at 6:47 AM

…and go left. Best think Davies does is that he can play the left channel.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/05/13 at 3:01 PM

Does anyone really want to disqualify any player from the USMNT because he “cheats” once in a while?

If so, don’t ever watch South American or European football.

Davies strikes me as a completely self centered jerk but that doesn’t mean I’d leave him off the team if he could help. I’ve seen him play often enough to say that the play with Omar qualifies as an aberration.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/13 at 7:26 AM

Davies dived, but Gonzalez defending in that way was highly dumb and it doesn’t speak well of his lateral quickness.

The other embarrassing one for Gonzalez is this: http://www.mlssoccer.com/videos?catid=1916&id=13837

I mean, Dominic Oduro.

• Posted by chad on 2011/05/13 at 7:01 AM

I certainly agree with that mbw. The few games I’ve watched, the midfielders are very slow to anticipate his runs. Think CD9 is more used to better midfield play, which could be a good sign for his international career.

9. Posted by dude on 2011/05/12 at 8:05 PM

Practical, ready.

10. Posted by chad on 2011/05/13 at 6:54 AM

I gave TSG a lot of stick earlier this week for what I thought was a harsh judgment of Davies. But this scouting trip is ambiguous to me as far as evidence of Charlie making the Gold Cup squad. If Bob leaves Charlie off the squad, it may be easier for Charlie and for US Nat fans to accept if all parties agree that Bob did his due diligence on Charlie’s current form by makking a trip to see him play the week before the decision is made. If Charlie was a definite selection for Gold Cup, why go see him play on Saturday?

11. Posted by FulhamPete on 2011/05/13 at 9:23 AM

KAMMARMAN!!!

12. If Bradley’s scouting dance moves, he needs to be at Dynamo games to see Will Bruin doing his best impression of a flamboyant bear.

It’s interesting to me that Bradley’s evaluations of CD9 are so publicized. I remember pre-World Cup coverage that was similar to this, even though it was more apparent then that he wasn’t ready. Just an observation.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/05/13 at 2:55 PM

I remember people saying Bradley leaving Davies off the World Cup roster was an enormous blunder because he should have invited him to camp. Like Bradley doesn’t have anyone else he trusts to tell him a player can’t run.

As for Bruin, I’ve only seen his hat trick game against DC. He did a very nice job and has a lot of potential but,I’d hold off on naming him the next great attacking saviour of US soccer. At least not until there is a larger sample size

Brad Davis was awesome that night and frankly, I’ve seen better defense from high school teams than what DC put out that night.
      So I have no problem with letting Bruin work his way around the league for a while and letting everyone catch his act. Then we’ll see how he is defended the second time around.

Hopefully he’ll be tested by professional defenses.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/13 at 3:08 PM

Yeah, Bruin’s in good shape for the Olympics*, so why don’t we see how that goes first?

* Kind of strange that this is up in the air, but assuming we qualify–in no way a guarantee, obviously (though it’s being held in the good old U.S. of A. this time around on one hand; on the other hand, big upsets can always occur–the U.S./Mexico double hasn’t occurred since 1996, and if you recall correctly, the U.S. hosted the Olympics in 1996.)–it’s hard to say what the exact situation will be. Don’t know the coach. Don’t know what the senior team schedule will be–last year world cup qualifiers happened simultaneously. But still, the top four forwards in the ’89 and up age group are probably Altidore, Agudelo, Bunbury and Bruin in some order. So Bruin can feel fairly good about his chances.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/05/14 at 11:44 AM

Aren’t Salgado and Doyle in that age group?

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/14 at 2:01 PM

Yeah, but they have all of one professional goal between them, so we’ll just hang on there…

• Posted by Martin on 2011/05/15 at 10:30 AM

True, but the tournament is in 2012 and for most teams the Olympics soccer tournament is about development so you also have to consider guys like Gatt and Gyau.

And hopefully by then Altidore,Agudelo and Bunbury will have established themselves as regulars for the senior team.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/15 at 12:44 PM

I disagree with that assessment. We always send basically the very best u-23 squad we can. More to the point, other countries do too–Andrea Pirlo has played as an over-age player, and in the 2008 Olympics Javier Mascherano, Ronaldinho, Thiago Silva, and Ryan Nelsen found it worth their while to go as over-age players as well as tons of prominent of age players (e.g. Lionel Messi).

It’s a tournament that we should take seriously. Obviously, if a World Cup Qualifier occurs simultaneously that takes precedence, but otherwise the U.S. should take the very best u-23 players possible, supplemented by pretty good overage players.