Report: Landon Donovan To AS Roma?

Donovan, the younger years...

Okay, first let’s make sure to state this. Corriere dello Sport is a much better source than Goal.com (which recently professed that Jozy Altidore was headed to Besiktas and that Newcastle was calling for Landon Donovan. Thus I don’t believe these Clint Dempsey, PSG rumors just yet–don’t believe them also because Dempsey just had a kid and his wife doesn’t speak French.)

Moving on.

Today, Rome daily Corriere dello Sport reported that AS Roma was interested in acquiring the Los Angeles Galaxy forward and US national team frontman.

The link apparently being the recent ownership change of Roma to by American investor Thomas DiBenedetto.

As TSG’s Serie A expert Eric Giardini has commented before Roma going to international to acquire fans seems like a given. Likewise, as TSG has commented before an American–even one slowly moving over the peak of his career–would bring brand cache, fan dollars to go along with their talent.

Donovan is on record saying that EPL’s Everton is the first place he’d like to go, so not a lot of credibility here yet, but bares watching.

TSG on Serie A: Beyond the EPL: An American At Roma, Totti: Ingloriously Slipping To Obscurity at Roma

1. I wonder if this might turn into a Ronaldo at Inter situation. Not that Donovan couldn’t figure out the tactics of the Serie A, but he’s more offensive than tactical – getting forward as much as possible. Ronaldo had a tough time adjusting to this style of play and suffered for a few years before his talents brought him to Madrid. Granted, if ‘Cakes put up the kind of production Ronaldo did we’d be proclaiming him the savior of the sport – again – but Ronaldo wasn’t happy over there.

2. Posted by Bob on 2011/05/17 at 7:35 AM

I always felt that LD’s statement about Everton were exclusive to the EPL. I think from his other statements about MLS and LA is that he is fine in with his house on Manhattan Beach and that he will finish his career in LA for the simple reason that he likes it there.

3. Matthew:

The Corriere dello Sport story (and a few other Italian sites) didn’t list actual sources or attribute the interest directly to Mr. DiBenedetto. The new Roma ownership group has said very little about future plans but that should change in the near future.

DiBenedetto’s son, Thomas, Jr., plays professional baseball in Italy. He was drafted by the Red Sox and also won a state high school soccer championship. At the http://www.romagiallorossa.it site, he was interviewed in April:

“Landon Donovan is my favorite player but I want to see other Americans, not just Donovan, at Roma.”

Clint Dempsey was named the best foreign player in the Barclays Premiership by La Gazzetta dello Sport writers in 2009 if I recall properly.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/17 at 8:23 AM

I’m starting to change my behavior now on these rumors. Thanks for the update. Rather than take the post down, I will just start fresh.

4. Posted by EFG on 2011/05/17 at 10:24 AM

I feel like I must comment on this. Donovan would be a suitable “Plan B” behind Roma’s main transfer targets – whoever they may be. My biggest concern with Donovan at Roma isn’t talent, but the pressure that playing for a club like Roma brings. We’ve seen him crumble abroad when playing for a big club and part of the reason, I believe, he was able to succeed at Everton is the lack of pressure and expectations placed on him. Mexes, who recently made the move to Milan from Roma, was interviewed in France Football and said the pressure for playing for Roma was “like Marseille times 10″ and you have to figure that the pressures at Marseille are bigger than Everton (or maybe I am vastly underestimating Everton and I apologize).

Sadly, I believe if he starts off slow, him and Di Benedetto will both be murdered in the papers and the tifosi, many of whom are still very suspicious about the big, bad Americans.

5. Posted by kaya on 2011/05/17 at 10:52 AM

I heard he was going to play in the Bengals reserves!
    I love Landon, but I sincerely don’t see him in Italy and I think he’s old enough to not see himself there, either.

6. Posted by dth on 2011/05/17 at 7:00 PM

This is looking for realz: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/05/17/could-us-stars-bradley-donovan-be-headed-roma

Surprising that the owner would be so candid.

7. Posted by EFG on 2011/05/17 at 7:43 PM

Just for giggles, how much would Donovan and Bradley collectively cost? €18m?

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/18 at 8:12 AM

Well, Bradley’s agent below values him at 6 million euro and supposedly they’re making a 10 million euro offer for Bradley, so your guess isn’t far off.

• Posted by EFG on 2011/05/18 at 9:05 AM

I’m still finding this all hard to believe. I’ll continue to maintain that Donovan would be a nice “Plan B” behind Pastore – who’s agent Roma’s sporting director is visiting in Argentina…

8. On a related matter:

Michael Bradley’s agent, Alberto Faccini (at least as claimed by the journalist who interviewed him on this Italian site) said he has not been contacted by AS Roma yet but other Italian clubs are interested in his client’s services. Faccini did say he would call Walter Sabatini, new AS Roma sporting director, “to congratulate him.”

Faccini puts a transfer market value of 6 to 7 million euro on Bradley. Called him a very good midfielder who had an unfortunate experience at Aston Villa.

Source:

9. Please note that Alberto Faccini might be some type of representative and not Bradley’s official agent. The Italian site used a term that could be equated to “agent” or someone with authority. They called this discussion “exclusive.” Since he provided particulars, I wanted to share them on this thread.

10. Posted by John on 2011/05/18 at 9:22 AM

BREAKING NEWS:

Goal.com is reporting that I am going to be handed a contract to write inane things for the New Yorker.