Catch-All: Discussion on US Roster Gold Cup 2011

September 8th, 1999. First cap, Steve Cherundolo

Just putting a column for folks to interact until the roster announcement is made public tomorrow.

Given all the information and data that’s out there, nearly all of it public to you as well, about two roles up in the air.

G (3): Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, David Yeldell

DEF (7): Steve Cherundolo, Oguchi Onyewu, Clarence Goodson, Carlos Bocanegra, Tim Ream, Eric Lichaj, Jonathan Bornstein

TWEENERS (2): Timothy Chandler, Jonathan Spector

MID (7): Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Maurice Edu, Ale Bedoya, Sacha Kljestan

FWD (4): Jozy Altidore, Herculez Gomez, Teal Bunbury, Juan Agudelo

BUBBILY: Jay DeMerit, Benny Feilhaber

See you tomorrow.

Oh and a perplexing complete absence of Jose Francisco Torres anywhere.
This is a player who is 23-years-old and started a World Cup game less than a year ago. To clarify, it’s not that I rate him a certain way, it’s just been an odd national team career trajectory for Torres, filled with large chasms of playing time after a critical start here and there.

——

From TSG Contributor John in the commentary:

Just to help everyone along, here is the “crib list” for player hate on the USMNT.

Bornstein – Not Talented, No Offense
Spector – Terrible on Defense
Onyewu – Slow, Can’t Distribute
Lichaj – Unproven, Overrated
Bradley – Nepotism, Erratic Passing
Edu – Caught in Possession, Doesn’t think fast enough
Clark – Makes big mistakes, can’t complete a pass
Altidore – Doesn’t play for club team, can’t score a goal, low on confidence
Adu – Can’t play defense, played too early, doesn’t fit in.
Bocanegra – Too old, too slow
Bedoya – Hasn’t done anything, overhyped
Ream – Too slow, can’t tackle
Dempsey – Disappears, aloof, doesn’t tackle
Donovan – Disappears, doesn’t play in EPL
Agudelo – Too young, too overhyped, hasn’t produced
Bunbury – Too Canadian
Torres – No Defense, Bob doesn’t like him, can’t play internationally
Jones – Too many injuries, stupid fouls, too slow
Goodson – Too anonymous, isn’t physical enough, bad positioning
Demerit – Not talented enough, not fast enough

Does this cover just about everyone?

From TSG and others on Twitter:

Benny: Failed out of Europe, too many injuries, 2007 strike just a fluke

Kljestan: Hot girlfriend, listens to club music

Add yours below.

1. Posted by dude on 2011/05/22 at 8:53 PM

I would definitely take Mix over Klejstan, and would love to see Demerit, but yeah, that seems likely.

2. Posted by justin on 2011/05/22 at 9:18 PM

Two possible changes I could see or wish happening:

1) I like Whitbread in there over Bornstein, not for LB, but to cover for a possible out of form onyewu and then have Boca and Lichaj cover LB.

2)I think it will be close for the last 2 roster spots between Gomez, Kljestan, and Feilhaber. Here is the pros and cons of each choice:
    Feilhaber: Pro: Knows the system and is a Bobby B fave, along with a reliable sub from the WC. Con: Has not been a world beater since coming into the MLS, but hasn’t been horrible either.

Kljestan: Pro: Starting for a very good team in a good league in europe, playing against tough competition. Con: Still having trouble with defending and only recently came into better form at with Anderlecht as playing time became available due to injuries in a crowded midfield.

Gomez: Pro: Has scored some goals in the last couple games of the season. And not a post-up up top like we already have in Bunbury and Altidore. Con: Was on the bench for most of the season and it may just be to little to late. And the possibility that Dempsey or Agudelo can play that withdrawn forward may be enough to crowd Gomez out.

of these three I think the odd man out will be Kljestan. I think it will be the same reason he was left out during the WC. He just plays a position that the US doesn’t use in their offense CAM. I believe Feilhaber is better on the wing. Which gives him the edge in a 4-4-2

3. Posted by Alex on 2011/05/23 at 12:58 AM

I just can’t see Bedoya cutting it internationally, even against Caribbean and Central American teams. I have not seen anything from him that would lead me to believe he is ready to contribute at this level yet.

4. Posted by EFG on 2011/05/23 at 7:16 AM

I can see Benny in place of Sacha but if he’s not I wouldn’t be terribly surprised. I think I’d like to see Whitbread in there in lieu of Bornstein but, again, wouldn’t be surprised either way. You guys are welcome for my insightful analysis.

5. Posted by Ufficio on 2011/05/23 at 7:26 AM

So now this:

The U.S. Men’s National Team roster announcement for the Gold Cup and the Spain friendly has been pushed back due to a late change. We’ll announce the 23-man roster as soon as it is available in full.

I wonder what prompted the last-minute change.

• Posted by Jared on 2011/05/23 at 8:40 AM

Anybody get injured recently that would’ve been a possible choice?

• Posted by collin on 2011/05/23 at 11:37 AM

yes Chandler had a foot injury recently and cannot play in his next game, they think he might be out for a few weeks

6. I sincerely hope JFT gets an invite simply because the role he played against Costa Rica in the Davies salute game. Aside from Canada, I get the feeling that our other opponents until we get to Mexico will play some form of the bunker defense and JFT’s ability to work the passing lanes when given that kind of time is not something the others bring to the table, though Jones is close (in my limited viewings of his play with Blackburn). Plus if JFT still can’t hack it at the Gold Cup level, then we can finally put him into the Freddy Adu bucket and move on.

As an aside, the below midfield would be an interesting one to see in situations where we really need a goal or two.

Donovan – Kljestan – Dempsey
    Jones/Edu – JFT

• Posted by Alex on 2011/05/23 at 8:22 AM

With Bradley at the helm, I don’t think we will see a competitive game (not a friendly) without two holding midfielders.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 8:34 AM

Which doesn’t rule out Torres because Torres is a holding midfielder.

Where people get the impression that Torres is some sort of creative dynamo is beyond me.

• Posted by John on 2011/05/23 at 8:39 AM

He doesn’t even PLAY for Houston.

• Posted by Alex on 2011/05/23 at 8:59 AM

maybe a holding MF in Mexico… where defense is king, of course. he’s a volante if anything. doubt you will see him make a tackle, and to be able to take the risk of playing those long balls out of the back you need to have a possession based system or a great target forward, in order to risk only one true holding midfield. we, of course, have neither, thus the “empty bucket” formation.

where people get the impression that Torres is some kind of defensive stalwart is beyond me. :)

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 9:06 AM

Holding midfielder != defensive stalwart. And of course you don’t need to put in a tackle to be a defensive player–in fact, I’d say the current mantra among managers is to try and intercept passes rather than go into a tackle and risk a foul or card.

Torres plays deep and tries to dictate/distribute from deep. That’s a holding midfield role.

• Posted by Alex on 2011/05/23 at 9:18 AM

I would say that pressing is only a very recent phenomenon in the way you are talking.

I think what you are arguing is semantics. What I am saying is if you think a primary role of JFT or any other volante is similar to the box-to-box / holding MF combo that Bradley plays (ie primarily defensive), then I don’t think we can see eye-to-eye. Deep lying playmakers are out there in order to make that pass a couple places earlier than you would if you were playing with two true holding midfielders. We playing with two wingers (Donovan and Dempsey) that cut in instead of diagonally to the corner, the ball a volante might play. We have forwards like Agudelo and Altidore that drop deep instead of playing as target FWs. And, in general, we lose the ball too often in the center of the field to risk playing with only one physically dominant player who can track when we lose possession. I just CAN’T see JFT, in our current set up, out there in a competitive game.

• Alex – excellent point on our possession issues in the center of the park being a solid reason not to incorporate JFT. I don’t think you have to have true take-it-to-the-corner wingers inorder to have a JFT, Pirlo, Xavi type sitting deeper in the mid-field. Barca do it with only their right back consistently bombing up the wing.

All of the reasons you mention above the a volante wouldn’t work seems (to me) to argue against your point; I’d rather have someone who makes these sooner passes to incorporate the runs of Agudelo, Dempsey, Donovan, et. al. than two more tackling oriented mids taking an extra three passes to get to the same point. Which would allow the opposition to get back, reset, and close down quicker on our attacking players.

• Posted by Alex on 2011/05/23 at 9:08 AM

to put it another way, calling JFT a defensive MFer is like calling Guardiola, Scholes, or Pirlo a defensive MF – just because he naturally plays deep in our end of the field doesn’t mean his primary role is “defensive”.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 9:19 AM

I’d call Guardiola, Scholes, Alonso, Busquets and Xavi primarily defensive (as used for club teams–Xavi gets pushed up for Spain, obviously). Their intent is not to be creative but to move the ball around to people who are in a position to make a play.

Pirlo, on the other hand, directly creates plays with his long balls for others to score on.

Torres is more like the former group than the latter.

• Posted by Izzy on 2011/05/23 at 9:39 AM

He may not be a defensive midfielder, but I honestly think that Torres’ defensive positional sense is quite impressive, at the very least better than Clark’s and possibly as good as Edu’s. Apart from his usual composure, he was able to shut down the space in front of our defense in the Turkey game, which made Turkey a lot less dangerous.

Another thing I really like about Torres was his bite. Don’t get bite confused with actual defensive ability. His bite is his willingness to get stuck in on defenders. His defensive ability is more about his actual ability to make that tackle. The Turkey game featured him getting stuck in a lot, and his tackles were generally successful.

Now, actual defensive ability is important, no doubt, but the modern game is featuring more sides that have defensive midfielders with smart positioning and tactical sense. The current world champions, Spain, featured Sergio Busquets( who I think of as like Torres) as their deepest lying midfielder behind Xavi Hernandez and Xabi Alonso, and his positional ability on both sides of the ball was what made him and Spain so successful.

I think he’s an interesting tactical option – A guy who provides defensive positional sense and bite, as well as composure on the ball, pinpoint passing, and vision. It really is a damn shame and a great blessing that the central midfield pool is quite so crowded with quality players. Torres could possibly play the role that Benny Feilhaber played at the World Cup; starting as a trio with Jones and whoever in the middle, but shuttling back and forth between the left flank and central midfield, switching our shape between a 4-4-2/4-2-2-2 and a 4-3-3( sometimes it looked like a 3-4-3 when Edu droppped between the centerbacks and the fullbacks pushed on).

• Posted by Alex on 2011/05/23 at 10:04 AM

I will presage this by saying I have seen Busquets Xavi Iniesta a lot more with Barca than Spain, but I think it works if you think of Ramos and Alves as similar… well… positionally flexible.

I see Busquets greatest talent as being able to drop back into a back 3 when Barca pushes up its FBs. Can JFT provide that same tactical play? As well, in relation to previous comments, to me the great JFT moments from that revelatory Turkey friendly were in fact those long balls that you say he doesn’t play and more Pirlo or Scholes volantes play. I dunno, I guess it’s just opinion on the difference between these types of deep–lying playmakers, but in the general sense, I don’t see Bradley playing ANY kind of these deep lying MFers in any variation of the role.

• Wow – and to think I almost put JFT in the middle of the three and Kljestan back with Edu/Jones.

As has been debated above, playing in the 2 of the 4-2-3-1 formation doesn’t mean you are primarily there for defensive/solid tackling reasons.

My thoughts were based on JFT’s insistence to always check somewhere for the ball during the Costa Rica performance at RFK, and then move the ball along. He’s not Messi, not even Xavi, but he’s creative in the sense that he takes the time and space to find that unlocking pass which is necessary when teams are bunkering in. I don’t see Bradley or Jones doing this on a consistent basis for the US; take away their time and space and it’s a different story, their passes seem to be crisper and more deadly.

Kljestan’s more vertical orientation helps with the combination play and creates space for others, especially JFT in this scenario to move into. Like I said, this would be my kitchen-sink if we needed a goal while also needing to remain relatively sound across the back 4, not an actual starting line up.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/23 at 10:31 AM

I’m with Nick on Kljestan. Where I think Kljestan could be useful is in the following formation:

whoever
        donovan, dempsey, kljestan
        jones – bradley
        boca – goodson – gooch – chandler/dolo

If you have kljestan as someone who can tuck-in, attack with the option of dempsey floating around in the middle of the pitch and chandler or dolo overlapping on the right.

What is unique to the US about Kljestan and my guess is that this is why Bob keeps brining him in, is that he can run the vertical counter very well from a deep position, but he (sometimes) makes defense respect his shooting abilty AND if the attack breaks down or the US has to work possession Kljestan is mostly good with the ball at his feet.

He’s very versatile in that respect.

*However he hasn’t shown in at the top level or consistently.

What I will never understand is why the hell Bob Bradley tried him as a true winger. He’s terrible in that role; never thrived there.

Anyway, as much as like a lot of what BB does (and don’t like a lot of things), I’ll never understood why he tried guys like KLjestan and Mixx out there *unless they are being asked to play-in more centrally.

Anywho…

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2011/05/23 at 10:50 AM

My issue with Kljestan is what formation are we playing.

If we are playing a 4-2-2-2 (which I hope) then I don’t see Kljestan playing unless it is as a sub when we need a goal coming in for Jones/Edu(maybe as a starter in the middle 2 band if Dempsey plays up top but I don’t like that formation).

If we are playing a 4-2-3-1 he provides more value and should take the spot of one of the 4 starters we expect to see on the roster.

Whatever formation we use I would like to see the US pick one for Canada and stick with it all the way through Mexico. I don’t think the jumping back and forth helps the team much given how limited training they have.

7. Posted by Brian on 2011/05/23 at 8:31 AM

According to Greg Seltzer, the following players have been confirmed to be on the roster:

Timothy Chandler
    Clarence Goodson
    Eric Lichaj
    Steve Cherundolo
    Jonathan Spector
    Teal Bunbury
    Juan Agudelo (credit to TSG, heard about their confirmed inclusions from you guys firsr)

So those 7 guys plus absolute locks like Howard, Bocanegra, Gooch, Dempsey, Donovan, Bradley, Edu, Jones and Altidore, there are really only 7 spots available.

• Posted by Ufficio on 2011/05/23 at 9:24 AM

I think he reported that they were on a preliminary list. Don’t know if that necessarily means they’ll be on the final roster.

8. Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/23 at 8:37 AM

My guess on this delay is that it’s a player negotiation over someone still in season in MLS that went awry.. Pure hypothetical on my part, but would seem to make sense.

US Soccer confirmed change is not due to injury.

9. Posted by John on 2011/05/23 at 8:43 AM

Steven Goff is reporting that the Bob Bradley conference call moved to 3 pm ET

10. Spain? The What Cup? Klejstan? Bornstein?

Wait, did I wake up back in 2009?

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/23 at 9:12 AM

Uh, oh you’ve awakened Tuesday, also known as protector of all things JFT.

The Turkey game was symphonic for this man. :>

• Posted by Alex on 2011/05/23 at 9:21 AM

LOL, symphonic, or a swan song?

Sorry for all the JFT hate, I guess. I just don’t understand the USMNT blog world’s love for both Ale B and JFT. I think it’s just sub-conscious pining for the type of players we don’t regularly develop at this level.

• Posted by John on 2011/05/23 at 9:38 AM

Bornstein – Not Talented, No Offense
          Spector – Terrible on Defense
          Onyewu – Slow, Can’t Distribute
          Lichaj – Unproven, Overrated
          Bradley – Nepotism, Erratic Passing
          Edu – Caught in Possession, Doesn’t think fast enough
          Clark – Makes big mistakes, can’t complete a pass
          Altidore – Doesn’t play for club team, can’t score a goal, low on confidence
          Adu – Can’t play defense, played too early, doesn’t fit in.
          Bocanegra – Too old, too slow
          Bedoya – Hasn’t done anything, overhyped
          Ream – Too slow, can’t tackle
          Dempsey – Disappears, aloof, doesn’t tackle
          Donovan – Disappears, doesn’t play in EPL
          Agudelo – Too young, too overhyped, hasn’t produced
          Bunbury – Too Canadian
          Torres – No Defense, Bob doesn’t like him, can’t play internationally
          Jones – Too many injuries, stupid fouls, too slow
          Goodson – Too anonymous, isn’t physical enough, bad positioning
          Kljestan – Passes to the other team, doesn’t fit in, moustache, name too difficult to type.
          Demerit – Not talented enough, not fast enough

Does this cover just about everyone?

From what I can tell, the only player that US fans like is the one that hasn’t played for the team yet. That and Tim Howard. We love Tim Howard. Although… you know… Our over reliance on him has caused a keeper drought when he retires.. ok… thats IT! Tim makes the list

Tim Howard – Too talented.

• Posted by Alex on 2011/05/23 at 9:55 AM

Looks pretty damn good to me, you should work in Vegas, LOL.

• Posted by John on 2011/05/23 at 9:59 AM

BTW: to all of those who might say “Where’s Holden”

Well, he was too injured to make the list.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 10:11 AM

Well, Holden’s injury makes him too much of a “new guy” to develop much of a rap sheet. Chandler also too new, though I’m sure the most advanced US soccer minds are thinking of ways to hate (“HIS FOOT SKILLS AREN’T GOOD ENOUGH. WE WANT DANI ALVES.”)

• I was in attendance against both Costa Rica and Turkey. If I’d been there that day against Slovenia, who knows how things would’ve turned out.

• Yeah, I’m not sure how JFT merits a selection this time around. Hasn’t really made the next step that was hoped for. Obviously a player who had potential but might never make the impact some people (ahem) had hoped.

Credit to Bob, he did figure out that for all the technical ability, it’s like trying to squeeze an artisanally carved 17th century square wooden peg into the mouth of a can of nattie lite.

Alejandro Bedoya is another story. He’s a can crusher.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/23 at 10:34 AM

Bedoya has the body and I think he’s going to be given a shot here to see how he plays with the A team.

He really hasn’t played with the A team all that much in competition.

A little bit up in the Netherlands against Brazil (but that wasn’t even close to a real match.), and a little bit against Poland.

There is this disturbing pattern though for fearless players who come into Bob Bradley’s system to get so worried or focused on their defensive shape that their natural game doesn’t come out often enough.

Deuce is an exception, but I bet that’s what BB and he clashed about.
          Bedoya, Benny..there are other examples.

Will be interesting to see how Agudelo conforms, but also creates and plays his game under Bradley.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 10:40 AM

Well, I wonder whether that’s just a general professionalization process. I mean, I watch Agudelo against Houston, and I saw a player who was somewhat tentative. Very strange, and not Bradley’s fault.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/23 at 10:46 AM

One observation. If he’s got many of those, then I would imagine he’s been tethered by Backe or given a prescription.

Mind you many players reconcile both, but that gets into the discussion if you are a possession oriented team.

I maintain that no team can merely set it’s goal as defend and counter in perpetuity. Folks love to describe how Mourinho played Barcelona two years ago in the Champ’s League and then against Bayern Munich to some extent. True. But during the Serie A season his team was very attack oriented.

• Posted by John on 2011/05/23 at 10:48 AM

Given the one game impression between Agudelo and Bruin…. I would take Bruin.

Then again… Bruin is three years older than Agudelo.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 11:05 AM

Correct. You know, I started out the season ragging on Bruin, but I’ve steadily been more impressed by him. The guy who should be watching out for Bruin is Bunbury, though I think Bunbury has a higher ceiling (Bunbury has better passing/foot skills). Either way, between Bruin and Bunbury I’m fairly sure we’ll have a “modern target forward” in 2014, which would do wonders for our overall team.

• I don’t see JFT as more deserving than the others. More the Gold Cup is a good time to do some experimentation since the level of competition fluctuates from “Tough” (Mexico, Canada on some days) to “Shouldn’t be tough but we find ways to make it hard on ourselves” (Haiti, Panama, and their ilk).

11. Posted by Collin on 2011/05/23 at 9:53 AM

+22 to John.

12. Posted by Ryan on 2011/05/23 at 9:55 AM

What about Tim Chandler??

13. Posted by Ryan on 2011/05/23 at 9:56 AM

He’s got a “five head”!

14. Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/23 at 10:12 AM

You forgot, incredulously that the statement is made, Howard.

“Comes off his line too quickly”

(that statement never ends with, “and makes a boatload of saves too often”)

15. This was hilarious. I would have added “necessary as scapegoat” to Kljestan as well, but if it is just pure “hate” then I guess that doesn’t fit since it defends him a bit…

16. Posted by John on 2011/05/23 at 10:19 AM

Finally came up with two for Cherundolo – Injury Prone, He ISN’T Maicon.

17. Posted by Erik the Orange on 2011/05/23 at 10:19 AM

Beasley – Too Beasley

18. Posted by Rich on 2011/05/23 at 10:41 AM

Beasley – rhymes with Weaselly (or, Measley)
    Davies – too stanky

19. Posted by jack on 2011/05/23 at 10:50 AM

Tim Howard – Mistake-prone, can’t handle big games.
    Eddie Johnson – Can’t score a goal to save his life.
    Conor Casey – A bull in a china shop, too slow.
    Brian Ching – Too old, too slow, injury-prone.
    Robbie Findley – No technical skills, can’t finish.
    Michael Parkhurst – Nobody’s seen him play since he left MLS.
    Jose Francisco Torres – Too small, made mistakes in World Cup.
    Bob Bradley – Always favors his son, doesn’t know how to handle subs, bad in-game management, plays favorites, tactically naive, always lets up early goals, too stodgy, too defensive, always plays the long-ball, no appreciation of the possession game, never smiles, never releases roster until last possible moment.

20. Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 11:11 AM

OT: Real Madrid is destroying the transfer window. Sahin for 8 mil euros is disgustingly low. Coentrao and Aguero to Madrid also. Plus Callejon. Absurd stuff. And I’ll guess Drogba-to-Madrid by the end of the window too.

Thinking people will be offering bids for Canales and Leon oh, any moment now.

21. Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 11:55 AM

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 11:57 AM

Every time I look at the roster there’s another, “Wait, WHAT?” in there.

• Posted by Paul on 2011/05/23 at 12:13 PM

Second on the f’ed up comment. Wow, Bob’s thinking outside of the box–which is what some of us have been complaining about, right?–but went far afield on several picks. Why Robbie Rogers caught Bob’s eye is beyond me. Adu’s story is nice, but does he really deserve a call-up beyond other players (Chandler, Bedoya)? Will grive further about this once TSG gets a reaction page up for this. Damn…

22. Posted by John on 2011/05/23 at 11:56 AM

uh…. er…. erm…. ah…

23. Posted by FulhamPete on 2011/05/23 at 11:57 AM

Wondolowski??!? WTF?

Rimondo, “Lee-hai”? Ok, I can see that.

Adu!!! Freddy’s Back!

24. Posted by John on 2011/05/23 at 11:59 AM

The dream of the 90’s lives in the US camp.

25. Posted by chris on 2011/05/23 at 12:03 PM

Crazy that Chandler didn’t get the nod. Very strange.

26. Posted by JW on 2011/05/23 at 12:06 PM

Speculation on delay:

Sunil: Bob! Hey Bob! I had a look at your roster and uhh…
    Sweats: Impressed, right?
    Sunil: Listen, I know you like Johnny B, but he’s on here TWICE.
    Sweats: Oh, really? Hm, well, delay the presses. Let me get out my old Chivas rolodex.

27. Posted by carlos on 2011/05/23 at 12:41 PM

Chandler…I’m having a very hard time believing in this exclusion unless it was Chandler’s choice.

Rogers over Bedoya I don’t know, I hope Coach sees something that I’m missing.

Wondo over Bundbury gee I don’t see it.

Adu… I’m hoping he can contribute but as the saying goes Hope in one hand shit in the other & see which one fills up first.

28. Just realised there’s not one bad thing anyone can say about our pint-sized RB. Go, ‘Dolo, go!

29. Posted by Antonio H. on 2011/05/23 at 7:02 PM

Whoa whoa cool it with the Panama comments. My loyalties are divided between the two. I’d trade Jozy for Felipe Baloy anyday

• Not trying to slight Panama, but in my opinion they shouldn’t cause the US the problems that they have in the past two Gold Cups given that they couldn’t get past the second round of CONCACAF Qualifying for WC 2010.