Bob Bradley Names Freddy Adu & 22 Others To Compete In Gold Cup 2011

The Roster: Who Does Bob Bradley Have Coach Goggles For, Wondo off the ball, &  more….

On the US Gold Cup Roster…

Well, we nearly had the roster spot on. Um, not really.

Bob Bradley–needing a Gold Cup tournament win here in 2011 to assure passage to the Confederation’s Cup warm-up tournament in Brazil in 2013–went with veterans and just a sprinkling of youth.

I'm back!...

Household names like Donovan, Dempsey, Bocanegra and Howard lead the list while youngsters who could crack the starting line-up in the group stage, Ream and Agudelo all head to training camp this week.

The US’s Gold Cup 2011 roster:

G: Tim Howard, Marcus Hahnemann, Nick Rimando

DEF: Steve Cherundolo, Oguchi Onyewu, Clarence Goodson, Carlos Bocanegra, Jonathan Bornstein, Tim Ream, Eric Lichaj

TWEENER: Jonathan Spector

MID: Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu, Jermaine Jones, Sacha Kljestan, Freddy Adu, Robbie Rogers, Benny Feilhaber

FWD: Jozy Altidore, Juan Agudelo, Chris Wondolowski

The skinny:

Surprises in Robbie Rogers, Freddy Adu and Chris Wondolowski on board. And only three strikers. Plus no Teal Bunbury.

Bradley had quite a conundrum on the backline. Veterans are always favored. Experience, especially, at centerback trumps youth. However on thing I liked that Bob Bradley did against Paraguay was go to the 3-man backfield and really push his flankers players up the pitch. This is a wrinkle in the vain of David Luiz getting ahead for Chelsea and I like Bradley’s thinking there.

Still not sure why we’ve never seen Jonathan Spector in that role or tried more in central defense.

• On Adu: I like the call-up. I personally don’t rate Adu as a player, but the call-up by Bob Bradley is smart. See how much Adu has matured in a camp and tournament where he doesn’t really need to be relied on. See if you should develop him further. My guess is if Adu wows in this camp–and by that I mean he’s a team player, plays hard all the time, works on his fitness etc–he keeps going. If not, you won’t see him for awhile at the senior level.

1. Posted by Alex on 2011/05/23 at 12:05 PM

My “high quality commentary” in the vein of the Shin Guardian? “Wow.”

2. Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 12:06 PM

Just when you think you’ve got Bradley figured out.

3. Posted by Jared on 2011/05/23 at 12:06 PM

Congratulations Mexico on being 2011 Gold Cup Champions.

• Posted by SteveM11 on 2011/05/24 at 8:21 AM

Totally agree with this post. Time to let BB return to the MLS where he belongs.

4. Posted by Steve NJ-DC on 2011/05/23 at 12:07 PM

no chandler? yes adu?
    WHAT?

5. Posted by Mike A on 2011/05/23 at 12:08 PM

I really cannot understand how BB did not bring in Timmy Chandler, he was by far the best player from the last couple of friendlies. Also, Wondolowski over someone more proven or with more experience is a little surprising. I wonder how BB plans to employ his forwards without the pure pace guy like a Davies or Findley. Maybe Jozy up top with a withdrawn Adu is in order?

• Posted by matt on 2011/05/25 at 9:09 AM

Lets all be honest here. Robbie Findley is the worst player to ever put on a USMNT jersey. The guy has never come close to scoring a goal in the 12 or so games he has played in. He fast with no skill what so ever. Im glad he is off the roster and hopefully gone from the team for ever. Chandler might be considering Germany, thats why he is not on the roster.

6. Posted by Rich B on 2011/05/23 at 12:09 PM

Rogers, Adu? Huh?

No Chandler?

We’ll probably still get to the final but I have a hard time seeing us winning it.

7. Only mildly surprised by Adu’s inclusion. He’s settled into his club team and is playing well, and at 21, is far too young to put out to pasture. He brings a set of skills that nobody else in the pool brings.

My impression is that Bunbury was left out because of his importance to his club team.

• Posted by Alex on 2011/05/23 at 12:14 PM

It’s a shame Teal is left out. I think he’s one of the few players in the pool who can develop into a WC-caliber target forward/ can play as a single striker. With Adu in the line-up, I assume Bradley is going to try out some 5 man MFs and I don’t see Altidore being able to be that lone FWD. I still remember those days he looked best, when he’d get the ball out wide and be able to cut in from the flanks or the top of the 18.

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2011/05/23 at 12:43 PM

Ok. I am taking deep breathes and now have some less rage induced thoughts.

We have our best 11 if we play 4-2-2-2
        Howard; Dolo, Gooch, Ream, Boca; MB90, Jones, Donovan, Dempsey; Altidore, Agudelo

So we are really getting excited over subs…

G – whatever, Rimando, Guzman, Yidell not sure it matters who BB selected, Timmy plays every minute injury aside and with an injury we are screwed

RB – Do we really need Chandler and Lichaj? One back up RB is sufficient. I would probably go Chandler but its a coin toss

CB – Goodson is a good choice here. Given that Boca can cover no need for a second back-up CB

LB – Bornstein, we love to hate him but as a back-up LB not sure who gets chosen over him.

MF – Spector and Edu for holding MF (fine with both choices). I have real issues with picking Rodgers, Adu, Feilhaber, and Kljestan. Adu from what I have seen can really only play CAM. So can Rodgers, Feilhaber or Kljestan cover for Donnovan and Dempsey should one of them need a rest or can not play?

FWD – Wondo as a sub. I like Teal better but is Teal a 70th minute sub which would be his role? BB must figure with an injury he shifts to a 4-2-3-1 and therefore doesn’t need a real back-up.

In my mind Chandler over Lichaj (but that is a nit) and Gomez over Wondo.

We lack that guy that gives me confidence when I see him warming up that we are going to get the goal to even it up. Guess for the Gold Cup that will be Feilhaber.

• Posted by Alex on 2011/05/23 at 12:44 PM

I’d put Goodson over Gooch in the 4-4-2 at this point, but who’s counting.

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2011/05/23 at 12:53 PM

Fair enough. The point I was trying to make was that once we are looking at subs and we are trying to make the best team for the Gold Cup not the best 23 US players.

If the US is down 1-0 at the 65th minute mark against Mexico who do you want coming in to get that goal? Isn’t that person more valuable to the team then the 4th best F?

I honestly can’t see a scenario whereby Teal comes in for somone in a 4-3-3 or a 3-4-3. In my mind he is only a direct swap with Agudelo or Altidore.

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2011/05/23 at 1:05 PM

At the end of the day we have

11 starters
              2 back-up goalies (mandated)
              1 back-up RB (Lichaj over Chandler)
              1 back-up CB (Goodson)
              1 back-up LB (Bornstein)
              1 back up Holding Mid (Edu)
              1 back up RMF (Feilhaber)
              1 back up LMF (Klejstan)
              0 back up F (Bradley decided that rather than a back up F he would shift to a 4-2-3-1)

That fills 19 of the spots. This leaves four wild cards.

For those wild cards we got Wondo (most likely to play the role of super sub if need be), Adu (probably wants to see if he has matured), Rogers (not sure I get it), and Spector (a jack of all trades (RB, CB, CM, etc).

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 1:14 PM

Hm, I disagree. Bunbury’s the best guy to hold up the ball and thereby distribute that we’ve got, and certainly better than any on the roster. There’s definitely a place for that, whether on the bench or starting.

In fact, the best US XI just might be something like: Howard; Lichaj, Ream, Goodson, Cherundolo; Jones, Bradley; Altidore, Dempsey, Donovan; Bunbury.

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2011/05/23 at 8:51 PM

dth, I don’t disagree that Bunbury is the best “target man” on the USMNT. After seeing the game against Argentina live I think Altidore is best on the wing of say a 4-3-3. That said, I don’t think that Bradley would roll that out in such an important tournament. Maybe later in the year.

If we assume that Bunbury won’t start then I am not sure a hold-up forward makes for a good sub.

• So was the last minute inclusion

Wondolowski in for Bunbury?

• On second thought BB probably trusts Wondo because he has played with the A team and thus passed on Bunbury at this moment. (Though Wondo has played like 2 times?)

This is a bad decision in my opinion, especially given Wondo’s age and Bunbury’s potential. BB will rue this choice when Altidore and Agudelo are tiring, he looks down to the bench and Wondo is the only one left.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 12:40 PM

Wondo’s played once at Camp Cupcake. Bunbury’s played twice, at South Africa and Camp Cupcake. Both were passed up in the Argentina/Paraguay dates, though Bunbury was injured.

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2011/05/23 at 12:55 PM

Don’t take it as Bradley thinks Wondo is better than Bunbury. I look it as with 20 minutes left Bradley would rather add Wondo to the mix than Teal. Different skill sets.

8. Posted by EFG on 2011/05/23 at 12:11 PM

Can someone please explain to me the appeal of Wondolowski? We don’t get too many SJ matches out East and what I have seen leads me to believe he’s a fine MLS player but not quite an international-caliber one.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 12:23 PM

Wondo’s got that fox-in-the-box stuff, has good movement, is a good team player and will work off of the ball. Personally I preferred Gomez to Wondo in this role, but I can understand why Bradley wants Wondolowski.

Lord knows how San Jose will score goals missing Wondolowski for a month. Bradley might just have gotten Frank Yallop fired. (CONSPIRACY THEORY: Bradley did it purposefully to take the San Jose job after he gets fired?)

• Posted by JasonPrice on 2011/05/23 at 12:56 PM

I agree. Wondo has great movement and a knack for the goal and he has scored many of his goals from a wide midfield position which requires him to track back quite a bit. Count me as a sceptic that has been sold on him. He’s in good form too.

9. Posted by Andy_4Lakes on 2011/05/23 at 12:11 PM

Any chance Chandler’s club could have held him back for injury?

Conspiracy Theorist: Any chance Germany did???

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 12:21 PM

Doubtful for Germany. No u-21 action for them, and the senior roster is absurdly stacked. At right back you’re looking at Boateng and Lahm. Oddly, the only places they aren’t stacked is striker and left back.

10. Posted by John on 2011/05/23 at 12:11 PM

Let’s get that Adu bandwagon ROLLING!

Adu that do that you adu so well.

11. Posted by Alex on 2011/05/23 at 12:11 PM

Looking a little short at fwd, even for us. I’d consider Wondo a tweener if anything.

Oh well, I thought Mex was taking this GC anyway. Haven’t seen Rogers play much this season… has he warranted a call-up at all?

As well, I think the Wondo call up is about a WC cycle too late.

I think it’s really a missed opportunity to blood some players at the backline… I like Ream in there, but will he even play with Goodson, Gooch, and Boca called in? With Bornstein called in, we may yet see Boca in the CB role. I lament no Chandler and Lichaj. Such a shame.

12. Only mildly surprised by Adu’s inclusion. He’s settled into his club team and is playing well, and at 21, is far too young to put out to pasture. He brings a set of skills that nobody else in the pool brings.

Don’t know why Chandler isn’t included, but who knows what went on in negotiations between Bradley and Chandler’s club team?

13. No Chandler?

Guess maybe we should add to the hater crib sheet:
    Chandler: Doesn’t speak english well enough? Not seasoned enough.
    Not favored over Adu, Kljestan, or Rogers to be trialed at midfield?

• Posted by Andy_4Lakes on 2011/05/23 at 12:18 PM

You guys are killing me with the “Hater Crib Sheet”

• Posted by Paul on 2011/05/23 at 1:20 PM

A further addition for the Bornstein description on the “Hater Crib Sheet”:

The Edgar Castillo Rule: A marginally decent player, one who has not seen signficant club action at his expected position for the national team, should not be chosen for important international competitions.

14. Posted by Alex on 2011/05/23 at 12:20 PM

Wow – Regarding Adu, apparently Bob has only seen him play on the computer so far this year, not even once in person, and regarding Chandler, it was a conscious omission based on lack of experience at this level of play. And Bunbury, “he just isn’t ready.”

…incredible. Just incredible. I just don’t think I’ll even figure Sweats out. Is he telling the truth? Isn’t Wondo’s experience even less than that of Bunbury at int’l level?

• Posted by John on 2011/05/23 at 12:24 PM

There are streams of Rizespor?

These intertubez are amazings.

• Posted by Jared on 2011/05/23 at 12:24 PM

I hate the experience card. The only way a guy gets experience is if they are called up for camps and squads like this one. Wondo isn’t going to play much and neither would Bunbury but at least Bunbury has upside. Chandler should be playing regularly for the US at this point.

• Posted by Alex on 2011/05/23 at 12:29 PM

EXACTLY. It’s such a strawman. I don’t really get the Sweats psyche, especially in this regard. I suppose it’s more of a “devil you know,” and for me, this is always the problem with keeping the nat coach on for one more cycle.

15. Posted by justin on 2011/05/23 at 12:24 PM

I was also thinking if there was a little fishy business surrounding timmy chandler…

Is there any chance Germany has moved in on him and offered him a chance to play in a euro qualifier this summer or beyond?

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 12:27 PM

I suppose it’s possible, but given his pro-US comments in interviews, and given just how much talent Germany has in their system, I very much doubt it. Timmy Chandler leaving Germany registers just about as much as that theoretical broomlet of Mikel Arteta-to-England did for Spain.

Put it this way: Germany doesn’t care that Nuri Sahin is playing for Turkey. Nuri Sahin just got signed by Real Madrid and was a top-5 player in the Bundesliga in 2010-11.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/23 at 2:14 PM

Agreed, I would say given comments it’s probably a Nurnberg thing, which is unfortunate, but if it is a national team “thing” it’s on the player’s side, not the German fed’s side.

That said, beyond Lahm (either left or right) and Boateng, Chandler may be able to compete with some players.

And didn’t Germnay lure Tasci from Turkey.

Again, I don’t think it’s a play by the German fed whatsover.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 3:10 PM

Tasci was German throughout the youth teams, unlike Chandler, who came out of nowhere (and whom the U.S. pounced on early).

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2011/05/23 at 8:58 PM

Curious on others thoughts on this… More valuable to the USMNT
          A) Chandler getting regular playing time in the next 12 months with his club team and seeing how that plays out
          B) Chandler as a sub on the Gold Cup squad getting some but not a ton of minutes

My honest take is that we can all talk about the Gold Cup being the continental championship, and how important qualification for the Confederations Cup is but at the end of the day I really only give a crap about Brazil in 2014. I would trade the last Confed Cup run to the finals (and heartbreak to Brazil) for a win over Ghana and a chance at Uraguay.

• Posted by Jared on 2011/05/24 at 5:40 AM

How about C? Chandler plays as a sub so that he’s officially tied to the US and then goes back to his club team. I’m not sure it’s an either or if there were negotiations as to the amount of playing time he would see.

• Posted by justin on 2011/05/23 at 12:44 PM

i hope you’re right

16. Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 12:24 PM

• Posted by Jared on 2011/05/23 at 12:27 PM

That’s weak. Every season is long. He’s not officially tied to the US yet, is he?

• Let’s hope that is truthful. The alarm bells are already going off with USMNT fans.

So I’m guessing that Adu took Chandler’s spot? or Rogers?

Looking forward to seeing Chandler in a US uniform again soon.

• Posted by jb on 2011/05/23 at 1:26 PM

Maybe I’m wrong, but I feel like I remember him dealing with and playing thru a couple of minor injuries lately. Or maybe that’s just what I’m hoping. In any case, I’m reserving judgment until we have more info.

17. Posted by justin on 2011/05/23 at 12:31 PM

with the amount of CAMs: Kljestan, Feilhaber, and Adu it looks like Bobby B is looking to try out the 4-2-3-1 more during the competition. Also the fact that he only brought 3 real forwards with him

18. Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 12:33 PM

Isn’t it a sign of the weakness of the US pool that when Bradley needs to find someone to run at people, Robbie Rogers is the guy? The only bright side of the Robbie Rogers call-up is that it guarantees Dilly Duka some run with Columbus.

…really hoping Bradley doesn’t coach the Olympics too.

19. Posted by Alex on 2011/05/23 at 12:36 PM

I have to think Bob has some insane sabotage going on and is somehow on the Honduran payroll or something.

20. Posted by Alex Song on 2011/05/23 at 12:37 PM

I like the Adu pick. Our offense has been pathetic for a long time. Think about it. When was the last time you saw us score a well-worked goal? I have watched every game sine the start of the World Cup and we have really struggled to break down decent teams. We did dominate against Slovenia and Algeria, but in our last several friendlies we have not looked dangerous in the attack.

Adu is a creative player who can make threatening runs and passes. We badly need that. I don’t see how he’ll fit into the lineup since we never seem to play a CAM, but I’m glad that he’s back with the team.

Bunbury’s omission doesn’t bother me. He has been totally invisible this season since his impressive two goal game. He would not be of much use to us right now. Maybe in another year or two.

Wondolowski has a knack for putting the ball in the net. Can’t say that about any of our other forwards (excluding Dempsey). Sure, scoring in MLS isn’t the same as scoring in the EPL, but if we can all agree that MLS is improving as a league then I think we have to agree that scoring goals in MLS means more than it used to.

Rogers…I don’t get that pick.

Bornstein…BB has a fetish for him and we lack talented left-sided players. He’s pretty shite, but he’s experienced and familiar with our personnel. Shrug.

• Posted by Alex on 2011/05/23 at 12:43 PM

I am actually a little puzzle by the Kljestan pick actually. He’s played with such on again, off again streaky-ness for Anderlecht. I suppose that it’s to blood him, but then again, inexperience was the reason for no Bunbury, no Chandler, etc.

• Posted by Alex on 2011/05/23 at 12:46 PM

My English is terrible. My fault for being in Italy for 3 weeks.

• Posted by Paul on 2011/05/23 at 1:07 PM

I thought it would be either Kljestan or Feilhaber fighting for a roster spot, given the uneven results of the 2-3-1 experiment. As others have suggested, the extra CAMs suggest Bob isn’t stopping the experiment yet. This is both encouraging, as it still seems silly the US can’t play the formation with out talent in midfield, yet rather disheartening: Bob had his time to experiement with formations; Cups are points when one should be prepared to stick with your best, not fiddle with things further.

21. Posted by John on 2011/05/23 at 12:41 PM

I just watched 90 minutes of Timbers/Crew and didn’t realize Robbie Rogers was on the field until about 40 minutes in.

And then I forgot about him again.

• Posted by Alex on 2011/05/23 at 12:44 PM

Nice!

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 1:10 PM

Who wouldn’t like to see Chris Pontius in the roster ahead of Robbie Rogers? Just saying…

• Posted by Martin on 2011/05/23 at 3:42 PM

Pontius is a very similar player to Rogers but what we don’t know is if he fits in with the team as well as Rodgers does.

I would have preferred to see Pontius but I don’t think he goes down the wing as well as Rodgers does, when Robbie’s head is on straight. And actually, I’d like to see Rodgers tried out at left back. He has the skill set but with him it seems to be entirely about where his head is at.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 7:53 PM

“When Robbie’s head is on straight” is a very rare state of affairs. It’s too bad–I’ve heard some chatter about how Robbie Rogers is “more a track star than a soccer player” (Steve Davis), which is misdiagnosing the situation. Rogers has a pretty good level of skill, particularly for an American. It’s his mentality that’s all screwed up–if he had the mind of a Dempsey or Pontius he’d be in Europe and would be a lock for the 23 if not the first XI. It’s weird: Rogers seems like a naturally unaggressive guy–like, say, a Dirk Kuyt–who has been told his entire life that he needs to be aggressive, and he tries to incorporate the advice into his game but it’s just not who he is, so his aggression usually comes out as overly AGGRO rather than a proper response to the situation.

Pontius is also a “too bad” from the USMNT perspective. Rogers is in his fifth full professional season and also spent a while in the Heereenveen youth system. Pontius spent three years in college. If you switched the two’s development paths, I think Pontius is in Europe and a lock for the top 23 if not the first XI. Unfortunately for whatever reason (lack of ambition? market failure?) he too isn’t quite what we want overall. I feel more comfortable with Pontius because of his aggression level–someone compared him to Dempsey, which is in many ways an exaggeration except for their aggression: both Pontius and Dempsey are thinking, all the time, “KILL” like the first option on a great basketball team.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/05/24 at 4:34 PM

I’ve always thought that Rogers should try to play left back for the US. He has all the tools and would be an upgrade on anyone ( certainly more skilled than Brek Shea) I’ve seen there recently because of his attacking potential.

Of course, this would only work out if he “had his head on straight”.

• Posted by Jared on 2011/05/24 at 5:44 AM

Ugh. Hate that excuse about not knowing how a guy fits in with the team. It’s the same as the inexperience excuse. The only way to find out is to call him in. Robbie has had numerous chances and has proven that he’s not international quality. Give a new guy a chance since it seems doubtful that Rogers is slated for a lot of minutes.

• Posted by Russell P on 2011/05/24 at 12:24 AM

I felt the same about Benny watching SJ vs NE. Bedoya’s form doesn’t place him higher than Rodgers or Sascha?

22. Posted by John on 2011/05/23 at 12:52 PM

Jozy Altidore has scored four times in the last year, in all competitions, league and national team call ups.

Just saying…

• Posted by Jared on 2011/05/23 at 12:56 PM

Don’t worry. Bob brought in Robbie Rogers to play left wing so Dempsey can be moved up top. Problem solved.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/05/23 at 3:45 PM

Jozy isn’t on the team for his scoring.

He’s on the team to play target man and take up all the punishment that comes with leading the line like he did at the World Cup. He does that so Clint doesn’t have to.

This team is all about setting up Donovan and Dempsey to score. If that doesn’t happen most of the time,this team doesn’t win.

• Posted by sabretoothgrape on 2011/05/23 at 8:55 PM

Oh great, Jozy’s our very own Emile Heskey. Just what our national team needs. I feel much more confident about our chances now.

• Posted by Jared on 2011/05/24 at 5:45 AM

Jozy is a terrible target man. He clearly doesn’t even like doing it if you watch his body language or the way he tries to move out wide to take players on.

I think Martin is really Bob Bradley based on some of the defense of the squad choices Martin has posted.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/05/24 at 4:18 PM

Jared,

You’re not that guy from SUBWAY are you?

I wish I had BB’s salary but no I’m not him.

I think it’s very simple. Name me a better proven alternative to Jozy at that spot.

Jozy isn’t a great target man but he has played well up top as recently as the World Cup. I’m like Bradley in that I take into account how you play for the US when it really counts ( such as World Cup, World Cup Qualifiers, Confederations Cup and the upcoming Gold Cup)more than how you play for your club or how you play during friendlies.

I think everyone forgets just how many exhibitions the US plays. They aren’t meaningless but it’s a mistake to read too much into them. And this is one of the flaws of the USMNT but that’s another topic.

Jozy has played well when it really counts. Again,
          if you are going to have a target man have you got a proven, better choice?

Bunbury may ultimately be one but he has played in two cupcake exhibitions for the US and is not exactly tearing up MLS. Clint can be used up top but it’s not his best spot and you waste him up there. I notice Fulham don’t keep him exclusively up top for what I assume are essentially the same reasons. And they should know Clint better than anyone, even BB.

So unless you tell me McBride is coming back who is your proven, under fire, target man?

• Posted by D. Devil's Advocate on 2011/05/26 at 12:11 AM

“Jozy has played well when it really counts.” Like when? What big games has the USMNT ever won with him in the line-up?

“more than how you play for your club” SO his sucked all year at his club, but somehow he’s going to rally for the national set-up? That’s not a recipe for employment, not to mention simply insane selection logic. Like a previous poster said, the US now has it’s own Emile Heskey, and that is not praise but the direst condemnation.

• Posted by MBDNP on 2011/05/26 at 5:14 AM

Not only do we have our own Emile Heskey but we have the equivalent of Emile Heskey now. At least back when he played with Owen at Liverpool he was dangerous and could hold up the ball for the fox in the box. Jozy doesn’t even hold up the ball well.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/26 at 7:20 AM

Algeria 2010, Egypt 2009, Spain 2009, world cup qualifying.

What big games has the U.S. won without Altidore (that you could’ve selected him for, so don’t try to pull Portugal 2002 out)?

• Posted by John on 2011/05/26 at 7:51 AM

Thanks DTH. I just got goosebumps remember that portugal win.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/05/26 at 4:06 PM

“What big games has the USMNT ever won with him in the line-up?”

See dth’s post.

“SO his sucked all year at his club, but somehow he’s going to rally for the national set-up? That’s not a recipe for employment, not to mention simply insane selection logic. Like a previous poster said, the US now has it’s own Emile Heskey, and that is not praise but the direst condemnation.”

Jozy didn’t play at all at Xerez and then had a so-so period at Hull and stil managed a fine World Cup. Obviously, it would be better if he had more and better PT at his club but until his national team form in games when it counts, takes a serious dip OR there is a better alternative, I’m okay with him starting.

Care to name me your better alternative?

Heskey was a better player than Jozy. The man played 667 games in the EPL and 62 games for England. He scored 150 goals for his clubs and 7 goals for England.

Not great goal totals, but you don’t get to play that many games at that level without doing something right.

Outside of McBride ( the guy we still haven’t replaced) and Dempsey let me know when we have an American forward who can even begin to approach Heskey’s totals of games and goals at that level. And Bradley wasn’t his manager for any of it.

23. Posted by JasonPrice on 2011/05/23 at 1:03 PM

Fine with the Adu and Wondo selections. Adu makes it interesting and Wondo has earned it.
    Hate to see Bornstein on the roster, but it makes sense to me.
    The Rogers pick is the one that rubs me the wrong way.
    Happy to see Lichaj called in, also understand that the Chandler call was not BB’s.
    Also don’t see ANY reason why Rimando needs to be pulled out of MLS though.

• Posted by John on 2011/05/23 at 1:05 PM

All reports indicate Rimando will stay with RSL unless absolutely needed. He is “called up” in the loosest sense.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/23 at 2:02 PM

Bradley on conference call said he spoke with Kreis about how and when he’d use Rimando. Likely to remain most of the time with RSL.

24. Posted by justin on 2011/05/23 at 1:12 PM

even tho robbie rodgers is on the squad, i expect to see him as the last person to get onto the field in any of the games.

• Posted by justin on 2011/05/23 at 1:17 PM

*rogers…… and to add on to that, i am not going to lose sleep about him being the last guy on the squad and not playing anyways…

what I think happened is that bedoya wasn’t released from his squad since he is so vital to them right now and Bobby B needed a quick replacement and turned to someone who he could find who’s most like bedoya, and who know the team well enough to come into camp

• Posted by Jared on 2011/05/23 at 1:23 PM

I don’t think his squad has a choice. These are FIFA dates and they are required to give him up.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 1:23 PM

They’re required to release Bedoya if Bradley called him up. Bradley genuinely preferred Rogers to Bedoya.

• Posted by Ufficio on 2011/05/23 at 1:36 PM

Genuinely preferred his left-footedness, I suppose. Completely inexplicable otherwise.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 3:07 PM

Well, it’s still a pretty weird decision anyway. To be honest, I’d rather have Chris Pontius than Robbie Rogers.

25. Posted by arjan on 2011/05/23 at 1:42 PM

first: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

second: can anyone confirm that Chandler is officially tied to the USMNT? Can he decide to play for Die Mannschaft instead??

• Posted by Ufficio on 2011/05/23 at 1:56 PM

He’s not officially tied to the USMNT, having only played in friendlies. See dth’s comments above as to why it’s not likely he’s in Germany’s plans, though.

26. Posted by Paula on 2011/05/23 at 2:00 PM

I’m thinking I’m glad I didn’t bust my wallet for tix to the Rose Bowl in June.

Oh well, here’s hoping this works anyway …

But seriously FREDDY ADU???

27. Posted by chazcar2 on 2011/05/23 at 2:21 PM

I am not going to mind the picks here. Bradley clearly didn’t choose his best 23 players eligiable for the US. He went with the starting 11 he is going to use plus a set of subs for cover and a set for interesting change of pace.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/05/23 at 3:38 PM

To paraphrase Marcelo Lippi,

“you don’t pick the best 11 players, you pick the 11 that play together the best”.

28. Love the title of the piece (“Bob Bradley Names Freddy Adu…”) – classic.

Like others here, I’m surprised at the omission of Chandler – but it sounds like that was outside of Bradley’s control. Equally surprised that Rogers comes while Bedoya stays, and disappointed – I think Bedoya deserves the call-up. That said, I do like Robbie Rodgers when he’s confident, and hopefully he can bring his A-game next month.

Didn’t see the Adu call-up coming – maybe should have, in retrospect. Time to see if his recent success in Turkey can carry over to the national level. If nothing else, he should be able to bring the sort of super-sub creativity that Feilhaber has built his international career on.

I like seeing Wondo in as a third forward. After Altidore and Agudelo, I think we all knew the last one (or two) forward spots were up in the air. I think Wondo deserves the cap just as much as Buddle or Gomez would, and maybe even more than Bunbury. Teal’s time with the national team will come, though.

Some surprises, but I’m keeping my tickets to the final at the Rose Bowl. We’ll be there.

29. Posted by John on 2011/05/23 at 3:14 PM

Incidentally, Najar didn’t get called up for Honduras.

30. Posted by Freegle on 2011/05/23 at 4:07 PM

2 points:

1) This feels like an “all or nothing” roster for Bob Bradley. There seems to be no debate above that he did not call in his most talented 23 players. That means that if we win the GC, BB is a genius for molding this group into a cohesive unit (the all). If we lose, it all began with BB’s “questionable” roster selections. It’s not out of the question, especially if we dont even make the final, that it could cost him his job (the nothing).

2) I will admit that I don’t rate MLS as highly as some even though I enjoy it and recognize it’s consistent improvement. In general, I prefer the overseas players to the MLS inclusions. However, I find it odd that Bob chose to take players vital to their MLS teams (Rogers, wondo for example) in the middle of their season when there were options who are as good or better (Gomez, Torres, Buddle) who are not in season. It’s especially curious if club commitment was the reason he didn’t take Bedoya. Why is it more important to not wound Orebro mid-campaign than Columbus or San Jose? The conspiracy theorist in me sees a 25% MLS quota. 6/23 = just made it. I know it’s not true… just curious.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/05/23 at 4:56 PM

Freegle,

The USMNT probably have more pull with Columbus or San Jose than they do with Orebro.

It’s been clear since his re-hiring that the USSF regards winning the Gold Cup as job #1. It seems to me Bradley has three options if he is to continue as manager:

1- Win the Gold Cup by beating Mexico
      2- Win the Gold Cup by beating Costa Rica
      3- Win the Gold Cup by beating anyone else

USSF inertia you say? Well they got rid of Rongen after all these years didn’t they?

This is probably the most proven team team BB could have assembled under the circumstances. I think the delay was all about Chandler and trying to reconfigure after it became clear he wasn’t an option.

Chandler was clearly going to be BB’s right winger. No one since Davies has stretched the opponent’s defense like he did. Without him it wil be interesting to see if he deploys Lichaj at right midfield. He’s not as good as Chandler but I thought his attacking skills showed had a lot of promise.

Whatever the case, it will certainly be a very interesting tournament now.

I’m very curious to see just how tough Canada will be.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/23 at 6:16 PM

I don’t think “pull” is the relevant variable here. The Gold Cup is a FIFA event. If the USSF calls, the clubs must release–it’s not a matter of debate. Clubs can try and negotiate or can cajole, but ultimately if Bradley loses this because he feels he called a subpar roster, he should be fired immediately.

• Posted by Freegle on 2011/05/23 at 7:14 PM

Martin:

I would consider it the other way around. Columbus and San Jose have more pull with USSF than Orebro does. As dth said, FIFA dates so USSF can take whomever they please. I’d think Columbus and SJ would be more able to cajole USSF to bypass their stars than an overseas team.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/23 at 9:30 PM

Freegle, Not calling you out here…HOWEVER (with a big smiley face), Bob Bradley’s comments today on Zak Whitbread alluded to the fact that it was difficult to select him since they had not seen him in camp yet.

Bradley also stated that time spent with the “A” team was a factor in selecting some players and not selecting others.

Chemistry a big part for BB.

• Posted by Freegle on 2011/05/24 at 6:35 AM

It’s cool. I wasn’t expecting BB to call in Whitbread and my point was never that he would, only that he should.

Bottom line… We have a (now) premier league CB who is eligible and willing to come into our squad and contribute and we left him home for a guy who cant crack the lineup consistently for his team in the mexican league (not picking on Bornstein, just the facts.)

To leave Whitbread off because of “chemistry” (by the way, we have no evidence that he would be anything but a fantastic team player) is disgraceful in my opinion.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/05/24 at 4:53 PM

Whitbread would be better described as a “Premier league CB in waiting”. I could be wrong but he has yet to play a minute in the EPL. And Norwich might go down in flames next season. So it’s not like we’re talking about Rio Ferdinand.

If Demerit had been healthy then chances are that would have been your (former) Premier League center back.

I like Whitbread and wish he were on the roster but I think his Gold Cup fate was sealed when he pulled out of the Argentina-Paraguay friendlies. I think he would have played a lot.

The one place I have trouble bringing in a new guy for a short tournament is at center back. Everyone on this roster who might possibly play CB has played there before for the US. If Whitbread had been named he would have had one game, against Spain, of all teams, to build up communication with Howard and the others.

Is he that much better than Ream and Goodson? I don’t see that and anyway, he’ll be brought in for World Cup qualifiers (I hope).

• Posted by Martin on 2011/05/24 at 4:29 PM

Freegle and dth,

I’m not privy to the negotiations but while it is true BB could force Nuremburg to send Chandler, and in that sense he has the hammer, it is also true that Nuremburg pays Chandler’s salary and holds a big hammer over him.

BB obviously wants Chandler (see the articles that describe him as “giddy” over Chandler; you don’t read that every day) but either Nuremburg(my choice) or Chandler himself, is dead set against it. Chandler just broke into the starting lineup this year so it’s asking a lot of him to really upset his owners.

31. Posted by FulhamPete on 2011/05/23 at 7:39 PM

Berniebernier above nails it on the head. Name our best 11, and we’re the same as WC2010, with three upgrades (Ream/Boca over Boca/Bornstein, Agudelo over Findley, and any two at CM over Redcardo Clark).

What commenters are missing is the Dempsey M/F factor, where a 4-4-2 becomes a 4-3-3 in the blink of an eye, or even a 3-5-2 with an Edu for Gooch sub (Assuming a Jones/MB90 midfield).

What Bradley DID do is create a VERY tactically flexible team that can play the closest thing the USA has ever seen to (gasp) Total Football.

That said…ROGERS? WHA??? There are other players to cover at other positions to do the same things Rogers can do. That’s the only waste of a pick, IMO.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/23 at 9:31 PM

I wouldn’t call it Total Football, but I do think Bradley likes to have a lot of flexibility both on his teams and in his starting 11.

32. Posted by dikranovich on 2011/05/23 at 9:03 PM

all the talk of adu and it will probably be a jones, junior, feilhaber triangle in the center of the midfield. plus you got a couple of nice subs for the 60-75 minutes. its nice to think of agudelo and adu coming onto the pitch to provide more offense, and having edu healthy and able to come onto the field to shut down is a great bonus.

plus you know agudelo will probably start a game in the knockout rounds. a big win against canada will go a long way towards getting this gold cup roster to realize its full potential.

33. Posted by dth on 2011/05/25 at 11:20 AM

Not sure where to put this, but this may be one of the more head-turning quotes I’ve seen in a while:

Agudelo said he’s been influenced by the differing styles of his two teams, the Red Bulls and the U.S. national team. “Hans is more of a tactical coach…Bob Bradley lets you do your thing, work your magic sometimes, take chances,” Agudelo said of the U.S. national coach. Agudelo will likely be called up to the U.S. team for the Gold Cup in June and will leave the Red Bulls for a month.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/25 at 11:22 AM

Oh, and Backe is interesting too:

Backe said the important task for now is making sure Agudelo doesn’t play “casual” and “doesn’t overplay things. He’s not that kind of player. He’s a hard-working player with decent pace. He’s very strong and he just has to play like that,” Backe said. “Heels and oversteps, that’s not the way you progress.”

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/05/25 at 11:45 AM

Thanks for posting this DTH. Indeed interesting to see.

I’ll try to figure out a way where we can get “top of mind” things up for discussion.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/25 at 12:37 PM

One last bit of context: can’t find the article right quickly, but Agudelo has often stated Backe is tight with the reins creatively speaking–he called him an “XBox coach” last year. What I find most interesting is Backe’s quote on Agudelo, which makes him sound like Emile Heskey or something. This may explain the Houston game.

The guy I do wish would speak up here is Thierry Henry.

34. Posted by dth on 2011/05/26 at 9:42 PM

Was Robbie Rogers Bob Bradley’s second-choice Columbus Crew midfielder?:

I would’ve liked Eddie Gaven much more.