Video: The US’s 23-Man Gold Cup Roster

Jay Bell does the hard work, slogs long works and then pops this video out there–filled with contemporary clips–for a motion picture look at who’s in play to grab the Gold Cup trophy.

Thanks Jay.

——-

Do Jay a favor if you would. Let him know some suggestions below for a video compilation of those players that didn’t get the call. Thanks.

1. Posted by Russ on 2011/05/24 at 7:51 AM

How fitting that Junior’s footage is of him off the field.

• Posted by dikranovich on 2011/05/24 at 2:02 PM

im sure someone was all to happy to get in that jibe.

• Posted by Jared on 2011/05/24 at 4:06 PM

Should have used some footage of his great display in Villa’s loss to City in the FA Cup. He played 71 minutes probably more than in the rest of his Villa appearances combined.

• Posted by dikranovich on 2011/05/24 at 5:47 PM

they could have used the last ten minutes of the arsenal game. junior played well in that game and he will probably be starting in the epl next year. they could have used his crucial block of charlie adam shot from the blackpool game. and of course, they could have used any of his work from bmgladback. they went with their heart.

2. Posted by Rich B on 2011/05/24 at 8:28 AM

Those who didn’t get the call: Chandler, Bedoya, Bunbury, DeMerit, Clark, Guzan, Gomez, Edgar Castillo, Rolfe, Gatt, Cunningham, Eddie Johnon, Whitbread, Conor Casey – I’m just trying to think of any Americans who get minutes in Europe or have played decent time with the national team who didn’t make it.

• I’ve got stuff from most of those guys already. Buddle and Yelldell are two more. Holden was ruled out due to injury. I don’t know whether I should include Friedel.

• Posted by John on 2011/05/24 at 9:41 AM

Considering that Friedel himself ruled himself out of playing any more in the future, I think his time is done. Not that he would have been getting any games with Howard in there.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/05/25 at 4:51 PM

“Not that he would have been getting any games with Howard in there.”

That is highly debateable.

• Posted by Rich B on 2011/05/24 at 10:44 AM

Agreed on Buddle and Yelldell. You don’t need to include Holden, Friedel or Charlie Davies because they’re out from injury or personal choice.

A few more to consider: Convey, Cervi, Parkhurst, Agbossoumonde, Mixx Disk, Joe Corona, Kenny Cooper, Troy Perkins, Beasley, Conor Doyle, Findley (unless he’s still hurt), Luis Robles, Frank Simek, Eugene Starikov, JFT, Bobby Wood. I admit that I looked down the list on YA to gather all of those names, some of which I understand are just barely on the radar, if even on the radar at all.

Almost related, what’s up with Jared Jeffrey? I know he’s only 20 and YA listed him as being with Mainz. He looked like a promising young player but I haven’t heard much of him recently. Mr. TSG – can I volunteer myself to write a piece catching up on the whereabouts of recent US Soccer phenoms that aren’t exactly lighting the world on fire yet?

• Posted by Martin on 2011/05/25 at 4:55 PM

Instead of whining about who was left off, maybe you should think about the fact that the “left off list” might have been mostly a starting squad ten years ago or so and how far the USMNT has come

3. Posted by dth on 2011/05/24 at 4:47 PM

One suggestion for this video: I would’ve liked it if the numbering system on the video corresponded with the numbering in the squad (i.e. Howard would’ve been first up, Donovan ten, etc.)

• Posted by Alex on 2011/05/24 at 11:12 PM

I agree, that would’ve made this dope video doper.
      Would’ve also liked to have seen Lichaj stuffing Bale and Spector vs Man U, or Spector’s through to Keane that he flashed wide.

• Good points. I put the video together initially to line up with parts of the music and then I was too stubborn to take them back out of order.

Its tough finding footage online and then figuring out which clips are best.

4. Jay, this is awesome. Real tongue-in-cheek moments when the “highlights” for MB and a few others were not very action-related. Refreshing to have up-to-date highlights, too, where you can see our boys in their current club kits.