Manchester United vs. Barcelona Going Live

For all the marbles at Wembley.

Park and Messi, today's two key figures

Sir Alex chooses the more balanced formation and keeps Chicharito to start up top with Fletcher only making the bench.

Man United leads with: Van der Sar; Fabio Rio, Vidic, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Giggs Park; Rooney Hernandez.

Barca leads with: Valdez, Alves Pique Puyol Abidal – Xavi Busquets Iniesta – Pedro Messi Villa

* Interesting selection of Abidal, great story but is he ready?

1. Posted by dth on 2011/05/28 at 12:14 PM

OT, but what got into Philadelphia? 6-2 destruction of Toronto. Yeah, I know, it’s Toronto but still…

2. Posted by Ufficio on 2011/05/28 at 12:59 PM

Rough game for Chicharito. He’s usually so brilliant at keeping his runs onside, but he’s been whistled at least five times this game already.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/28 at 1:04 PM

Yeah, this is the type of game that reinforces why you want your forwards to do more than just score. Even aside from Rooney’s goal, he’s contributing positively to United’s defense and has been passing well. Hernandez, on the other hand, can neither find space nor push back Barca’s defensive line.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/05/28 at 4:50 PM

I agree. He couldn’t run the line or hold up the ball for shit. He’s been a great aquisition but totally out of his depth today.

It’s not just VdS that needs replacing.

• Posted by dth on 2011/05/28 at 7:03 PM

I wonder what United will do in the transfer market. Moving on for central midfield, keeper, and perhaps a creative player or two or three? (Plus returning loanees Welbeck, Cleverley and Macheda?)

Actually, I wonder what’s going to happen in general in the transfer market. I think it’ll be crazy.

3. Posted by dikranovich on 2011/05/28 at 1:35 PM

the real classy thing from barca was watching them bring their captain on late in the game and actually placing the armband on him. maybe usa can learn from this little move.

4. Posted by kaya on 2011/05/28 at 1:38 PM

reminds of a book I have: “The Art of Spanking”

5. Posted by dth on 2011/05/28 at 2:52 PM

Juan Agudelo getting the start against Vancouver at left wing, and he looks bad.

6. >> Interesting selection of Abidal, great story but is he ready?

Yup. :)

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/05/28 at 4:53 PM

Very disappointed with United and Valencia for not testing Abidal. More. He was too comfortable today.

7. Posted by Crow on 2011/05/28 at 5:36 PM

The highlight of the match for me today was Michael Strahan on FOX informing me on some of the differences between football and futbol. Apparently in futbol you use your head, while in football you can be penalized for doing so. Also, it seems that in futbol that referees are more lenient towards celebrations.

• Posted by Tux on 2011/05/28 at 10:19 PM

Never again. Never, ever again. The moment I heard the NFL on Fox them music, which doubles as the old Madden 95 theme music (you know, duh duh duh dudduhduh, duh duh duh dudduhduh, duh duh duh DUHDUHDUH), I threw up in my mouth a little bit. Please, someone at that network, don’t let non-soccer players near the studio. It’s more painful than Joe Buck doing a baseball game, and that’s atrociously bad.

• Posted by Jared on 2011/05/29 at 3:27 AM

Yeah, that stuff doesn’t make anybody want to watch the game. It insults actual fans and it insults new people who are watching the game because it’s available on Fox rather than a niche channel. Stop dumbing everything down for people.

But Strahan grew up as an Army brat in Europe so he’s an expert.

8. Posted by Gino on 2011/05/28 at 10:06 PM

I can’t believe that I finally got on here to make a post and there are only 14 previous comments. Was EVERYBODY pulling for ManUtd today? I’ll tell you what, they may have lost and only had 30% possession but they came to play.

I was more than nervous before the game and even more so when they tied it at one all. Rooney needed more help today and didn’t get it. Still though, hats off to Ferguson and his boys. If only Mourinho hadn’t overcoached in the UCL semis, all that mess could have been avoided and maybe those games could have been as enjoyable as today’s. It would be presumptuous to say this Barca team is the best ever, but they might be the best I’ve ever seen.

9. Posted by dikranovich on 2011/05/29 at 6:39 AM

barcalona, what a team. this is a team that was playing with a defensive midfielder at center back. last season man united tried this little trick against fulham and got pummled. then the little fact that barca did not even need their captain until the last couple of minutes, that speaks volumes about confidence and just overall brass. barca with a strong defense is probably the epitome of football, at least until neymar starts doing his thing in a couple of years for brasil. can you imagine if neymar went to barcalona. my god.

10. Posted by Cory on 2011/05/29 at 1:19 PM

I find it surprising the lack of criticism VdS has received, to me it’s the most glaring omission from the commentary about the game. On the first goal he was beaten to his near post while his defender was closing down the far post angle. Granted, he may not have saved it anyway, but for an experienced keeper of his caliber I thought he may have been able to make a play on the ball. The 2nd was a quick strong shot from Messi that beat him…right down the middle of the goal. Have to think if VdS brings his usual quality, he saves at least one of the two. Barcelona were superior, but he was utterly mediocre on a day when United needed a big game from their goalkeeper.

11. Posted by jake on 2011/05/30 at 1:45 PM

Thought some of you folks might be interested to see what we were dealing with in the twin cities, for a storm that never materialized. Would’ve been nice to see the second half of the match…

• I know – this was horrible. I can get behind their concern for our safety and all, but the weather map should’ve been the smaller of the two “boxes.” And, stop making up stuff to talk about in order to keep yourself on the TV. When a severe storm is bearing down on me I want to know 3 things: What direction is it headed/coming from, how fast is it coming, and are there tornadoes? After you dispense that information you can maintain radio-silence until some new information comes in. I don’t need to be told that I should go tell people to get out of the street if there’s a storm coming…Darwinism says that they’re idiots and deserve what they get.