Some Wednesday Bullets: Adu, Gulati, More

And some quick thoughts as we roll into our Spain and Gold Cup coverage:

Adu: A lifeline to chasing the dream...again.

Updates:

Per the Washington Post: DaMarcus Beasley is seeking a deal at Pachuca.

Per Brian Strauss and the Sporting News: Herculez Gomez has moved from Pachuca to Tecos.

• A small, abstract positive if Freddy Adu has a positive Gold Cup? Perhaps a little bit more showcasing for Adu to move to a better team more in the limelight or against better competition. That next could have the positive see-saw effect of Adu developing further for the US national team.

A lot hanging in the balance here for Adu and his US Soccer career this June.

• Obscure loser in what we’ve dubbed #fifapocalypse: Sunil Gulati and USSF.

Sure you may suggest that the United States and perhaps a World Cup 2022 bid may yet be in the offing if Gulati and USSF remain mum. However, think of the positive marketing that the federation would be reaping now if they tactfully and quietly voiced their concern after the World Cup voting process.

The United States had an excellent platform to project their concern on the selection process: the technical score of their bid was very strong while Qatar’s ability to host was called into question. Instead the United States, in a very un-American way, decided to keep quiet as a country that does not recognize equal rights made of with the prize.

It is worth remembering that with the acknowledgement of the temporary CONCACAF World Cup qualifying format and the lip service of considering a seasonal switch of the domestic MLS league to the traditional soccer schedule that the United States still pandered to FIFA, although perhaps not monetarily.

All of this to this writer, makes USSF look nothing but weak on the global soccer stage.

No Cary for Chandler...

• In case you missed it, Brian Sciaretti talked to Timmy Chandler’s agent who commented that it was a mutual decision of everyone involved to forego the Gold Cup. Agent Thomas Kroth also commented that a possible change of heart by Tim Chandler to investigate his German national team potential was not at all behind the move.

While it’s a negative that the US can’t introduce Chandler this June, the move should give US coach Bob Bradley some leverage in dealing with Nurnberg, Chandler’s club team, in the future.

• Disagree with Sports Illustrated Steve Davis’s dislaimer yesterday that “If Stu Holden were healthy, we wouldn’t be having the Freddy Adu conversation.”

Holden’s value and role seem to be continually mislabeld by many. (Perhaps TSG has it wrong?)

For the US, since 2009, Holden has never played in a true attacking role. Yes, he played more advanced at the 2009 Gold Cup, but upon moving to the “A” team, he’s always played one one of the midfield flanks. Bob Bradley’s primarily used Holden in the attack to link north-south to a striker or forward in front of him or to drive up that flank and issue a cross, not to create offense on the interior.

For his club, Bolton, Holden has been used much like Bob Bradley has used Michael Bradley, as an advanced CDM (pardon the expression). Holden has typically been tasked defensively with taking the first attacker coming into the center of the pitch and then deployed offensively as link in moving the ball from the backline up the field. Not as a #10 or CAM.

Conversely, Clint Dempsey, Benny Feilhaber, Eddie Gaven (as rumors have circulated that Gaven was extended a camp invite) or even Mix Diskerud have been used a more of the an attacking midfielder for the States and this is presumably the role where you would try a Freddy Adu. A role where a player can take on a defender and beat him if the opportunity presents itself or slot a pass to a teammate for a scoring opportunity if the defense is drawn.

Also, don’t rule out Bob Bradley using Adu–because of his speed with the ball and handles–as more of a second, withdrawn striker from time to time.

—-

Next up: Our TSG Official US vs. Spain Preview

1. Posted by Gtbanna on 2011/06/01 at 1:07 AM

What speed? Freddy is alot of things, but speedy or fast is not one of them. If u go talk to ppl who have played against him, they will tell u this

• Posted by mike on 2011/06/01 at 4:09 PM

He did say “speed with the ball” which is totally different. Freddy doesn’t have great top-end speed but he can get close to that speed while dribbling…something most players can’t.

2. Posted by Colin on 2011/06/01 at 5:35 AM

Fifapocalypse…I like it. There was a while that I gave FIFA the benefit of the doubt and figured they gave the World Cup to Qatar for the exact reasons that Blatter had mentioned about bringing it to a new place in the world and to shine a new light on the middle east.

It was disappointing to lose out on the world cup bid…now its just upsetting to see the real reasons why. I know these allegations are for the presidential election, but as the saying goes:

3. Posted by steve dc-nj on 2011/06/01 at 6:08 AM

This fifa debacle is becoming continually more infuriating. From blatter’s dictator like grip on the majority of the association, to the ussf’s inaction. I even wrote an email to the ussf in a desperate attempt to urge them to act. I really don’t see any upside at this point. Corruption will continue, and I will lose faith in my favorite sporting event… This is honestly the most depressing sporting fiasco I’ve ever experienced.

4. Posted by Jared on 2011/06/01 at 7:09 AM

There needs to be some fingers pointed at Gulati and US Soccer for how they are handling this. At the very least they should have joined in with England and Scotland calling for a delay in the voting. I don’t how the US could end up any more screwed than we already are considering that once Warner is back in power he is going to make it very hard on the US because of Blazer’s accusations.

5. Posted by Steve NJ-DC on 2011/06/01 at 7:23 AM

and now more news is coming out about CONCACAF corruption with Warner’s replacement Austin trying to fire Blazer. Honestly I’m losing all faith in the sport…

• Posted by Jared on 2011/06/01 at 8:00 AM

But the newest bit is that he doesn’t have the authority to do that so Blazer is still in place. Apparently only the CONCACAF Executive Committee can fire him and they don’t intend to do that at this point. Talk about some balls on Austin though trying to fire a guy for blowing the whistle on his buddy. I wonder how much money Austin has received from Warner.

• Posted by Colin on 2011/06/01 at 9:40 AM

Dont lose faith in the sport…lose faith in the old men using it for personal fame and glory.

• Posted by Nelson on 2011/06/01 at 1:11 PM

spot on Colin and lol at the Bushism…I think our players will speak for America when they represent. I was at the Paraguay loss game and I couldn’t be more excited for the future of our USMNT

6. Posted by Braden Lang on 2011/06/01 at 10:21 AM

Here’s what I struggle with:

The FIFApocalypse is horrifying. It’s obvious that the members of the exectuive committee are squabbling only for their own gain and could care less about the fans and the sport. In the space of 2 weeks Jack Warner has gone from old friend of Sepp Blatter, to doling out cash bribes to defeat him, to accusing him of corruption and insisting he must go, and then miraculously back to endorsing him for president. Further, the influence the executive board holds over the FAs keeps them in-line. (Assuming, and this may well not be true, that the FAs themselves are not similarly crooked) Any FA that might speak up (save England who seem committed to their course) is afraid to suffer the retaliation of Blatter and the Ex-Com.

The system seems so far dead and broken that it’s beyond saving. It seems to me the only way things could change is if sponsors and supporters began to abandon the sport to the extent that the FAs would recognize their better off by replacing these men wholesale or by defecting and creating a new organization.

I believe the only way FIFA will respond is if it is punished for its misdeeds. Ultimately WE are the people paying for everything. Fans of the game in the United States purchased more tickets to the last world cup than any other nation. US television rights were larger than any single country and are growing fast. It’s the relative affluence and blind devotion of fans like me that collectively permits all of this shit to continue.

Which brings me to my dilemma. What do I do? The reason I’m so angry is that these men have taken something I love, perhaps more passionately than anything other than my personal relationships, family and friends, and turned it into something I feel DEEPLY conflicted about. I’m trying to decide whether or not to make the trip to Detroit next week to watch the US play Candada. I desperately want to go and cheer on the team, but by supporting the Gold Cup and the USSF regardless of what happens at FIFA, I’m part of the problem. The thought of traveling to Qatar for the World Cup makes my skin crawl, but am I supposed to abstain from the most exciting event on my calendar in a four year period because it funds these assholes? Recognizing that my choice alone has little direct effect, this is the decision I think we all face. And I don’t know how to respond. Can folks share their opinions?

Can I continue to spend my time and money on US Socccer? Can I buy team shirts spend money on FIFA event tickets? Or do I have to give up my passion in order to dissociate myself with this abomoination of an organization?

• Posted by Colin on 2011/06/01 at 11:13 AM

I think all of that is a bit of an overreaction. Giving up supporting your team because the organization that they are a member of has a lot of bad leaders seems like the wrong course of action. Its not the players fault, there is no reason that their support should be lessened as a result.

7. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/06/01 at 10:57 AM

The thing that p1ssed me off the most was the lack of transparency, and the fact that the ExCo members like to hide behind it. If FIFA had said from the start that “new frontiers” was the major scoring section, then perhaps the likes of England, Spain and America would not have prepared a bid? What’s the point of making everybody jump through hoops and lick arse, wasting millions along the way? Oh, because they can. Silly me! They enjoy being flown around the world, staying in top notch hotels and having people pander to them. And then to get everybody worked up with positive speeches about technical bids, infrastructure, accomodation when they knew all along that these didn’t score highly within *their* criteria…

Did anybody see what the Argentine ExCo member said to England’s bid team?Something about he would vote for us if we gave the Falkland Islands back… how can somebody like that seriously be on the FIFA Board?

• Posted by Colin on 2011/06/01 at 11:20 AM

I was JUST going post something about that. This is what he said:

“Yes, I voted for Qatar, because a vote for the US would be like a vote for England, and that is not possible.

“But with the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left.”

That is just unacceptable on so many levels. He basically said that Qatar’s only merit for winning the WC bid was that it wasn’t the USA. I wonder how many of Qatar’s 14 votes were a result of similar logic?

And seriously? Demanding islands for a vote?

On top of this, wasnt there some other guy that demanded renaming the FA cup after him in order to gain his vote?

• Posted by MesaATLien on 2011/06/01 at 2:17 PM

Can you believe someone demanded to be knighted in order for their vote to go to England?! SMDH…it’s a disgrace.

• Posted by d-bar on 2011/06/02 at 2:04 AM

George & Colin,
        I don’t think they expected any islands to change hands. It was just another way of saying there is absolutely no chance they would vote for the country in which they had a (short) war with less than 30 years ago. I don’t see us supporting a DPRK, Cuba or Venezuela bid, even if it was spectacular.
        d-bar

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/06/02 at 4:38 AM

I understand that there is history between England and Argentina, mainly due to the Falklands War. But what he actually said as a FIFA ExCo member is blatant discrimination and surely a sackble offense, no?

• Posted by Colin on 2011/06/02 at 6:58 AM

Ive gotta agree with George.

The problem isn’t that he didn’t vote for England or the USA…its that he DID vote for another bid nation, not based on its merits for hosting a world cup…simply because they were the opposing England and the USA.

The fact that he openly admits this shows the world that he is not a suitable person to be 1 of only 22 who were given the responsibility to elect host nations for the 2018 and 2022 world cups.

8. Posted by Nelson on 2011/06/01 at 1:14 PM

The US must bear the reaction to our semi-imperial action. Our armed forces are in like 185 countries. That’s about half the world. Bush greatly destroyed our image and Obama hasn’t exactly revived it. We are the empire. Let’s just hope our Han Solo’s and Jedi can save the 2022 bid by exposing the oil giants and sheer insanity of playing in the desert. MADNESS, THIS IS SPARTA!!!

9. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/06/01 at 1:34 PM

I just wish The Times and Treisman continued to whistleblow from December, rather than wait for the 57th minute of the 23rd hour…

10. Posted by Fitz on 2011/06/01 at 4:16 PM

MAybe Greenpeace partner with ChangeFIFA. I’d love to see a banner drop like this anti-nuke one they did during the Copa Italia.

11. Posted by dikranovich on 2011/06/01 at 4:35 PM

no need to worry anymore because henry kissinger is soon to be on the scene at the halls of fifa. usa has info in its back pocket and they are not sitting on the bid. crying about qatar getting the world cup is what makes the usa look weak.

12. Posted by USA!! on 2011/06/02 at 1:54 AM

Who cares where the game is or who scheduled it. All giving all this attention to these old farts who run FIFA is giving them exactly what they want; attention. I swear they are like a punch of 7th grade girls.

13. Posted by Nelsonaoatl on 2011/06/02 at 12:45 PM

I wonder if masonry plays a role in apparent corruption?..