Orange Slices is our game day, catch-all post that we update during the day before the match. Don’t accept substitutes, imitators or copycats! Ask for fresh, wholesome Orange Slices by name.
Hello and welcome to game day!
The United States Men’s National team don their Red, White & Nike Greys today for the 3rd match against Spain of Bob Bradley’s tenure. David Villa has yet to score against the United States. Will today be the day?
Will Bob Bradley wear his customary sweats? Will the US line-up include a Gooch, a Juan and a Jose, I mean a Jozy?
The US takes on World Cup champions Spain today in Foxborough, MA as they warm-up for the 2011 Gold Cup tournament starting next week against Canada.
Kickoff today is set for 1:30p.m Best Coast and 4:30 p.m. East Coast.
English TV Broadcast: ESPN, Spanish TV Broadcast: Univision, Web: ESPN360.com
Live Commentary: Right here at TSG
Haven’t got your fix yet: TSG’s Official US vs. Spain Preview
• ESPN’s Keen Eye for the Soccer Guy Jeff Carlisle says it’s transition time for the US backline.
• The Yanks Are Coming’s Jon Levy says US vs. Spain is a great marketing ploy, but silly tune-up idea.
• The Guardian’s Sid Lowe says infighting and fatigue could plague the Spanish team.
• Get ahed of the curve: Dan of The Free Beer Movement with an epic Gold Cup “Beer”view
American Outlaws members gather here.
Looking like a comfortable 65 degrees at game time, big splash of sun to drown the pitch.
Well as East Coasters know about surf, it’s typically pray for hurricane season. Being May and all, mother ocean is quite sleepy this weekend….and that’s a shame, because if the Pacific were pumping into the East Coast, Newport (SE of Foxborough) and it’s surroundings would give Santa Cruz more than a run for it’s money.
And just to stick with today’s theme, you could even head to Gooch’s Beach.
If you’re heading north, try out Hampton, NH and pay a visit to Cinnamon Rainbows Surf Shop, great guys…in fact, I’ll don my “t” today for the help they gave me last time.
• TSG was on World Football Daily discussing the US vs. Spain match-up and the Gold Cup on Friday. Check it out and we’ll see if we can get a free version for those without a subscription and post it here.
• This match a homecoming of sorts for Clint Dempsey who of course got his professional career started with MLS’s New England Revolution and Alejandro Bedoya who did Division I time with the Boston College Eagles.
• Over 61,000 tickets sold for today’s showdown.
• The US ladies in action Sunday at Red Bull Arena in New Jersey taking on Mexico as they prepare for the Women’s World Cup.
• Didn’t notice it when the roster came out, but apparently Jermaine Jones hometown is….Chicago, IL. Huh?
• Spain with a 3-1 edge in the series with the US. 1-1 however on Bob Bradley’s watch.
» The first Bradley Spain match-up in Santander Spain in June 2008. Xavi tallied the lone goal as Spain edged the States 1-0 in that affair. Some other notes? Eddie Johnson started up top with Freddy Adu. Landon Donovan missed the match. Heath Pearce at the time was fully entrenched as the leftback.
» The second Bradley Spain match-up at the Confederation’s Cup in 2009 in South Africa. The US winning 2-0 through the might of Jozy Altidore and determination of Clint Dempsey. Some other notes? Jonathan Spector was in his best US rightback form. Conor Casey made an appearance. Michael Bradley’s red card ruled him out of the final against Brazil.
• Looking for a surprise starter tomorrow? Perhaps that aforementioned Spector in the midfield.