Orange Slices: US vs. Canada

Orange Slices is our game day, catch-all post that we update during the day before the match. Don’t accept substitutes, imitators or copycats! Ask for fresh, wholesome Orange Slices by name.

Orange Slices! US vs. Canada

Hello and welcome to game day!

The United States Men’s National team don their white-ish Nike Greys today for Game 1 of the Gold Cup group stage versus a Canadian team with a lot of offensive power, but little defensive firefighting?

You’re likely to see Bob Bradley’s troops in a 4-2-2-2 as Landon Donovan makes his return to the line-up and Clint Dempsey drifts inward serving as the attack catalyst.

Kickoff  today is set for 5p.m West Coast and 8p.m. East Coast.

Broadcast:

English TV Broadcast: Fox Soccer (JP Dellacamera & Kyle Martino with the call) —  Spanish TV Broadcast: Telefutura, Web: GoldCup.org

Live Commentary: Right here at TSG

The Motown Showdown: SG’s Official US vs. Canada Preview

———-

Supporting Material:

• The Sporting News Brian Strauss discusses with the US players how and why they value the Gold Cup.

• Dan from the Free Beer Movement challenges all who inappropriately show up with the wrong kit in the stands.

A Football Report’s Eric Beard gets the hype rolling in the tournament on Little Pea and his friends.

• The Yanks Are Coming’s Jon Levy says Will Johnson is the man to watch for Canada.

Viewing?:

American Outlaws members gather here.

Weather forecast:

72 and partly cloudy is the call tomorrow night at Ford Field in Detroit, Mi.

Surf forecast:

Yes, there is in fact surfing near Detroit Michigan, right on Lake Erie. It’s just not happening today or until the Northwest winds start jetting down to long about October, November or so.

Archive:

It was June 2007 when Canada’s Atiba Hutchinson–on the field tomorrow–was robbed of the equalizer late in the semifinal match that saw the US take the match 2-1.

Make sure you hear Frankie Hedjuk’s sentiments on the win from the US Soccer library.

More:

• Only one player has started all “A” team matches–6 of ‘em–since World Cup 2010. That player? Maurice Edu.

• Last night’s action: Jamaica clubs Grenada, 4-0. Honduras & Guatemala go at it, but end up nil-nil.

• Twitter sensation FakeBobBradley somehow arrives at “a guy named Skippy” in his starting line-up.

More to follow…

1. Boarding a plane for Detroit in a couple of hours. It’ll be nice to see the team actually trying to play, after witnessing that Spain catastrophe first-hand (pix to come as soon as I have a spare moment.)

I’m looking for a defense that tracks runners (at the very least) and I’m hoping that our forwards don’t have to keep coming back to the midfield stripe to get a sniff of the action.

• Posted by Colin on 2011/06/07 at 6:33 AM

Working til 3, then making the 45 minute drive to the stadium.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/06/07 at 6:40 AM

Take video of the tailgate and I’ll post it in realtime.

• Posted by Colin on 2011/06/07 at 6:50 AM

I’ll see what I can do. I’ve gotta pick up a friend that is flying in from Philly. His flight lands at 4:30 and the Panama v Guadaloupe kickoff is at 6.

I dont know if AO plans to march in for the 6pm kickoff (since the ticket is good for both matches)…or if they plan to tailgate through the first match.

2. Posted by EFG on 2011/06/07 at 6:14 AM

I woke up in a cold sweat this morning when I realized that Bornstein did not make an appearance against Spain nor was he in the roster. He couldn’t possibly have been rested for tonight, could he?

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2011/06/07 at 6:27 AM

I’ll take Bornstein at LB and Boca at CB rather than Gooch at CB and Boca at LB. Right now Bornstein > Gooch.

• Posted by Jared on 2011/06/07 at 7:15 AM

I agree Bernie. Gooch needs to be part of the squad that doesn’t dress anymore along with Robbie Rogers. The only time either of them should be wearing a US jersey is when they are in the stands watching the game as a paying customer. Gooch doesn’t have it physically anymore and never really had it mentally. At least Bornstein has it physically.

• Posted by EFG on 2011/06/07 at 7:28 AM

Are we all together disregarding Ream? He didn’t have the best of games against Spain but I don’t think he should be written off entirely.

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2011/06/07 at 7:33 AM

Not entirely writing off Ream but the question becomes are we today better with:

Dolo-Boca-Goodson-Bornstein
            or
            Dolo-Goodson-Ream-Boca
            or
            Dolo-Boca-Ream-Bornstein

I take Dolo-Boca-Goodson-Bornstein. In part because I think we will need outside backs that can get up the field and that isn’t really Boca.

• Posted by EFG on 2011/06/07 at 7:35 AM

Boca doesn’t need to press up on the wing – similar to his role in the World Cup. Forgive my ignorance on Canada’s squad, but since it appears they play a 4-3-3 there is some decent wing play and he can kind of sit back and provide some coverage for Donovan.

• Posted by Jared on 2011/06/07 at 8:07 AM

I’m not writing off Ream at all. I think he will play but probably not start today after going 90 against Spain.

• Posted by EFG on 2011/06/07 at 8:16 AM

I forgot he went the 90 on Saturday (AOs and their bar specials)

• Posted by Erik the Orange on 2011/06/07 at 8:10 AM

agree

• Posted by dth on 2011/06/07 at 10:12 AM

I’d like Bornstein to play, but doubt he will–it was reported Bradley wanted Bornstein to go 90 but was a late scratch. The obvious inference is that Bradley doesn’t intend to start Bornstein, who Bradley has never particularly liked. As we know, Bradley is a safety-first kind of a guy, so I see Bocanegra being played at LB and being told never to cross the halfway line (except on set pieces).

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2011/06/07 at 10:20 AM

I hope Gooch doesn’t cost us a goal. If we go down 1-0 because Gooch’s poor positioning and concrete feet I will be throwing stuff around my living room.

• Posted by John on 2011/06/07 at 10:24 AM

Supposedly the late scratch was due to some kind of “injury” whether or not that is the case is anyones guess.

3. Posted by Rich B on 2011/06/07 at 6:53 AM

Can’t you say that since that goal was an attacking pass, meant for an attacking player that although there was a deflection, offside can still be given? I, for some reason (probably drunkenness), forgot this moment altogether.

Hopefully there’s no issue like this tonight and we give our Northern neighbors a good pasting.

• Posted by Colin on 2011/06/07 at 6:59 AM

yup, but the key in the argument is that when it was initially played…both players were onside.

When the pass was deflected, they were offside….but not when it was originally played in. So he shouldnt have been called offside.

At least thats how I see it. O well…too bad…we would have beat them in extra time anyways haha.

• Posted by Matt C in Tampa on 2011/06/07 at 7:33 AM

Colin: I think the linesman can, with a straight face, make the arugment that the player was in the offside position when the Canadian in the middle headed the ball. …which happened before it deflected off a US Defender.

i guess no one wants to work today and we’d rather discuss offside calls from 2007!!

• Posted by Colin on 2011/06/07 at 7:44 AM

I couldnt remember or tell from the video if it came off the canadian player’s head prior to the US defender. If so, it is absolutely offsides.

The canadian commentators in the video implied that a deflection off a defender nullifies offsides…when in actuality, it doesnt.

• A deflection doesn’t nullify it, but a poorly played ball does, which is what it most likely was by Gooch. I was behind the other goal with Dan of FBM fame when that happened and we both thought the goal should’ve stood, and in looking at the replay above I still think it was a good goal.

This is Canada’s version of the Torsten Frings handball…

• Posted by Colin on 2011/06/07 at 10:43 AM

I would guess that in order for it to be a poorly played pass, Gooch would have had to possess the ball at some point in the play. In this case, he went up to block/clear a cross…which he did…except that it went to Hutchinson.

My interpretation is that the linesman thought that the ball went off the head of the canadian attacker who was right next to Gooch and that is why he called it offside. When the ball was originally played in, nobody was offside…but when the ball was redirected off gooch’s head, Hutchinson was in an offside position. He shouldnt have been called offside, but the linesman must have thought the ball was headed to him by the canadian, rather than Gooch.

I’m with you tho, at the time and still now, I think it should have been allowed. But hey…It happens.

4. Posted by matthewsf on 2011/06/07 at 7:46 AM

• Posted by Colin on 2011/06/07 at 7:57 AM

i think its the press making something out of nothing

“Right now, I’m thinking about Europe and playing in Champions League – at least experiencing that in my career, being in Champions League. That’s a goal. That’s every player’s goal. Every player wants to win trophies and play at the highest level possible. If someday I get the opportunity to play for a big club in the Champions League, that would be great. I’d be lying if I said that wasn’t a dream.”

That to me just says that he would like to play in the champions league if he gets the opportunity…which, it would be hard to find a player that wouldnt.

• Posted by Jared on 2011/06/07 at 8:11 AM

Yeah, I’m thinking about playing in the Champions League too. Doesn’t mean it’s going to happen.

Seriously, though I think Dempsey would love to move up to a bigger club but I’m not sure that clubs on that stage are looking at him. It’s tough to see where he’d fit in at one of the big clubs in England. Moving outside of England might work if he’s willing to give that a try.

• Posted by John on 2011/06/07 at 8:39 AM

I’d like to state my preference for champions league football as well. Actually I would take CONCACAF champions league.

As it is I will have to settle for my 8 pm game tonight.

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2011/06/07 at 9:21 AM

I don’t think its outlandish to think that Dempsey could play RM for a top tier team. He had double digit goals this year and was the unquestionable player of the year for a team that finished 8 in the EPL despite a ton of injuries. He also won the bronze ball at the Confed Cup in 09.

Isn’t Dempsey comparable to Kalou (age aside)?

• Posted by EFG on 2011/06/07 at 9:26 AM

I agree. I can’t think of a position on a CL club in England that he just slots right into.

• Posted by Rich B on 2011/06/07 at 9:33 AM

As an Arsenal fan, I’d rather have him on the wing than Arshavin. I’m not sure that Nasri or Eboue will be around next season so that leaves Arsenal with Walcott to play on the wing and you can rest assured that he’ll be hurt for a good portion of the season. I’d love his work rate and creativity in an Arsenal shirt.

• Posted by Alex on 2011/06/07 at 11:12 AM

I just don’t see him able to move the ball quickly enough or make/play the runs Arsenal make. Quite honestly, he just holds onto the ball for a bit too long.

Arsenal hopefully will be dumping a lot of dead weight this year, and maybe it could happen if Wenger thinks he can still sell him in 3 years.

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2011/06/07 at 9:18 AM

Even as a Fulham fan I would urge him to go if he could get a starting role at either Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, or Man City. Obviosuly a bigger team is better (assuming you play, ask Gooch how his Champions League experience was).

That said, I am assuming he means Knock-Out stage Champions League quality teams. If he leaves Fulham for Rangers/FC Twente/etc to get a couple Champions League games before heading to teh Europa League then it will depress me.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/06/07 at 10:13 AM

I hate “stories” like these. They state the bleeding obvious, and it serves no purpose!

• Posted by dth on 2011/06/07 at 10:06 AM

Greg Seltzer reported interest from Borussia Dortmund. Dortmund is a wonderful team even without the talents of Nuri Sahin, but Dempsey could fit in there–he might theoretically slot between Goetze and Kagawa making for a nasty “3” band. (They’ve acquired a pure striker and a central midfielder so far in the transfer market, but may be in the market for a creative midfielder–they played a guy named Robert Lewandowski in the hole a lot last season, and he was just OK. Dempsey would definitely have a chance to get in if the rumored interest is serious. Don’t think it is–Dortmund prefer to buy young players.)

• Posted by Colin on 2011/06/07 at 10:44 AM

I like Dortmund. That is all.

• Posted by Jared on 2011/06/07 at 10:48 AM

They also like to buy cheap players even their best young players were purchased for relative peanuts for their production. Dortmund are basically full of Chicharito style purchases due to their lack of cash. I can’t see Fulham selling Dempsey cheaply as he has been a huge part of their continued premiership status.

• Posted by dth on 2011/06/07 at 11:13 AM

Dortmund have plenty of cash–they sell out an 80,000+ stadium every match day. It’s just that, after narrowly escaping serious cash worries, they prefer to keep tight to a value-based transfer strategy.

• Posted by Jared on 2011/06/07 at 11:31 AM

But that 80,000 is not comparable to the 75000 in Old Trafford or the 100k at the Camp Nou for a couple of reasons, it’s only that big for domestic matches because one side is terracing and they charge much less in the Bundesliga for tickets than they do elsewhere in Europe (avg price in Bundesliga is 19 Euros as opposed to England at 51 euros). They also don’t pay high wages comparable to Bolton in the Premier League so Dempsey would probably have to take a wage cut as well.

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2011/06/07 at 11:49 AM

I think it depends on what you define as cheap. I bet Fulham would sell Dempsey for around 10 to 12 million pounds. Thats not cheap but its also not a break the bank amount. Fulham constantly run deficits and has sold a number of bigger ticket players (by Fulham standards) and tends to spend about half of what they sell on three or four different players every year. Smalling got Fulham 8 million pounds which got them about 4 players at what was less than 8 million (Dembele being the largest buy). The year before that they sold Bullard for a pretty penny and brought in people like Groening, etc.

• Posted by Jared on 2011/06/07 at 12:21 PM

Well, I wish I hadn’t gone looking for how much Dortmund have spent recently on transfers because Subotic kept popping up when I was looking. I really wish we were debating whether it would be Ream or Goodson partnering him in defense tonight.

5. Posted by dth on 2011/06/07 at 11:16 AM

A behind-the-scenes video:

A few comments: Agudelo looks absolutely dominant whenever they show him in practice; Onyewu looks exhausted whenever they show him. Hm….

• Posted by KickinNames... on 2011/06/07 at 12:17 PM

…and…Altidore looks confused; Coach Sweats is apparently in charge of a session called “Explaining the Obvious”; Stevie C looks and sounds (and plays) like a captain…

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

• Posted by MJ on 2011/06/07 at 12:37 PM

Love Howard’s singing there next to Dempsey.

6. Posted by dth on 2011/06/07 at 12:28 PM

Also, here’s an eleven-minute clip of Stephen Hart, the CMNT coach, talking tactics: http://video.thescore.com/watch/formation-geek-with-stephen-hart

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/06/07 at 12:33 PM

Thanks for this!

• Posted by Isaac on 2011/06/07 at 2:57 PM

Wow, some fantastical tactical talk there. Canada may just surprise us.

I really wish Stephen Hart would have talked to Bob Bradley about his tactics, because I think Bob thinks strictly in nothing but tactics, and focuses on a players tactical value rather than their technical quality/form, hence the use of guys like Robbie Findley and Robbie Rogers ( No offense to either of these guys – I think they’re fine players in poor form).

7. Matt – to your point about the White/Nike Grey jerseys being donned tonight, I wonder how Nike felt when the Gold Cup groups were drawn…Canada’s home strip is Red, Panama’s home strip is red, and Guadeloupe’s away strip is red. Seems like a lot of red to be introducing our 3rd strip which is predominantly red.

8. Posted by MJ on 2011/06/07 at 12:38 PM

Do we know what illness Donovan had and we’re just assuming is over with by now?

9. Posted by matthewsf on 2011/06/07 at 12:54 PM

10. Off @ussoccer: #USMNT lineup v Canada: Howard; Cherundolo, Goodson, Ream, Bocanegra (c); Dempsey, Bradley, Jones, Donovan; Altidore, Agudelo

• On the bench: Hahnemann, Bedoya, Edu, Kljestan, Lichaj, Onyewu, Wondolowski. Anyone else disappointed to not see Freddy on that list?

• Posted by dth on 2011/06/07 at 4:01 PM

I’m not really that disappointed. As I’ve said elsewhere, Freddy’s athletic abilities leave him without a home.

I do, however, wonder why it is Bradley insisted on calling Adu up if he doesn’t intend on using him. This tournament has a short turnaround, and all of the outfield players should be used at one time or another.

• Yeah – given that he didn’t make the bench against Spain either, I’m wondering if Bradley’s not liking what he’s seeing in camp from Adu.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/06/07 at 4:59 PM

One game does no the Gold Cup make. Enough value in seeing Adu in Camp. The matches are not where it’s at for Adu right now with Bradley.

• Even if Adu isn’t stellar in camp, I’m betting we’ll see him get a little bit of burn during the Gaudeloupe match. Sure they pushed Panama a little, but by the third game we should have secured passage to the next round and field a weakened, but capable, side compared to the first two matches. Not that a decent showing would get him more time in the knockout rounds, but it’ll at least give Bob an idea of where he’s at when it matters and give the kid some confidence.

• Posted by BernieBernier on 2011/06/07 at 4:21 PM

Bornstein not dressing. Injury?

Thoughts on switching to a 4-2-3-1 taking off Altidore if offense slow? I realize if that switch is made its probably Agudelo coming off but I don’t think it should be.

Edu for Agudelo is defense needed and drop into the 4-3-2-1 we saw against Argentina in the first half?

• Posted by John on 2011/06/07 at 3:57 PM

I’ll take it.

Agudelo Agudelo.

• Posted by dth on 2011/06/07 at 4:11 PM

Canada’s lineup:

• Posted by BernieBernier on 2011/06/07 at 4:16 PM

Like the line-up. Solid 4-2-2-2. Hopefully we take care of business.