Orange Slices is our game day, catch-all post that we update during the day before the match. Don’t accept substitutes, imitators or copycats! Ask for fresh, wholesome Orange Slices by name.
Hello and welcome to game day!
The United States Men’s National team don their white-ish Nike Greys today for Game 1 of the Gold Cup group stage versus a Canadian team with a lot of offensive power, but little defensive firefighting?
You’re likely to see Bob Bradley’s troops in a 4-2-2-2 as Landon Donovan makes his return to the line-up and Clint Dempsey drifts inward serving as the attack catalyst.
Kickoff today is set for 5p.m West Coast and 8p.m. East Coast.
English TV Broadcast: Fox Soccer (JP Dellacamera & Kyle Martino with the call) — Spanish TV Broadcast: Telefutura, Web: GoldCup.org
Live Commentary: Right here at TSG
• The Sporting News Brian Strauss discusses with the US players how and why they value the Gold Cup.
• Dan from the Free Beer Movement challenges all who inappropriately show up with the wrong kit in the stands.
A Football Report’s Eric Beard gets the hype rolling in the tournament on Little Pea and his friends.
• The Yanks Are Coming’s Jon Levy says Will Johnson is the man to watch for Canada.
American Outlaws members gather here.
72 and partly cloudy is the call tomorrow night at Ford Field in Detroit, Mi.
It was June 2007 when Canada’s Atiba Hutchinson–on the field tomorrow–was robbed of the equalizer late in the semifinal match that saw the US take the match 2-1.
Make sure you hear Frankie Hedjuk’s sentiments on the win from the US Soccer library.
• Only one player has started all “A” team matches–6 of ‘em–since World Cup 2010. That player? Maurice Edu.
• Last night’s action: Jamaica clubs Grenada, 4-0. Honduras & Guatemala go at it, but end up nil-nil.
• Twitter sensation FakeBobBradley somehow arrives at “a guy named Skippy” in his starting line-up.
More to follow…