Pictorial: Clint Dempsey, Vindication

From the eye of Matt Mathai:

Clint Dempsey celebrates his stutter-step goal against Jamaica. US win 2-0 to move on to the semifinals to face Panama.

1. Great work, Matt. Best eyes in American soccer… after Landon’s… they’re so dreamy.

2. Awesome shot.

We’ll be at the Houston matches, can’t wait to see Deuce bury one in person.

3. Posted by dude on 2011/06/20 at 9:39 AM

The popularity of the sport in the US gets a bump every time Dempsey does one of his rage-infused celebrations. His adrenaline is contagious.

4. Posted by kaya on 2011/06/20 at 3:53 PM

Any translation about the meaning of the face washing celebration? Or was that *in* your face?
    Whatever it was, Deuce is my guy.

• Posted by Catherine on 2011/06/20 at 4:12 PM

It was a “You Can’t See Me” thing from the WWE. Anyway, Dempsey’s celebrations are ill.

• My lip-reading skills are sub-par but I thought he was saying, “Can you see me now, motherf**kers?”. Glad to see Deuce bounce back from the Guadeloupe game – not that anyone really doubted he would.

Good photos.

5. Posted by Crow on 2011/06/20 at 4:17 PM

There’s so many things that I could say so I’ll just say the most important first- Amazing photography. That may be my favorite soccer picture ever. Although I may be a little biased- Even though I’m only 25 I’m pretty confident that Deuce will go down as my favorite athlete ever. I love the way he plays, I feel like “I can identify with his style/personality” as ridiculous as that seems. Heck, I didn’t even realize that his son’s name Jackson, I called my dog, and his daughter’s name Elyse is what I have always wanted to call a daughter if I have one someday. lol After the game when the players came over to applaud the fans I swung my Deuce jersey around backwards and he pointed at me and gave me a thumbs up. I felt like a little kid at a game for the first time again. I hope Deuce has a monster game in Houston and in LA (I’ll be there!)

And how do I keep missing Matt Mathai? I didn’t even see him and I was in the front row!

6. Posted by Atlanta Gooner on 2012/09/04 at 5:41 AM