TSG Potluck: New Jersey or old?

Has heard at TSG studios during the final..."Why do their uniforms look like Elvish formal wear"? - Margo.

Potluck question from TSG commentor Eric:

With more and more Americans becoming fans of soccer, an increased number of jerseys are being seen on the streets. On any given weekend around DC, I can see a handful of jerseys, mostly USMNT or EPL clubs, just walking around and it has become “popular fashion” of late.

Jersey sales are huge business and clubs and manufacturers are very aware of this. Around this time every year, fans anxiously await to see the new kits for this season and decide whether or not they will splash the cash for a shirt that more often than not looks pretty much the same as last season’s.

A quick peak in my closet will reveal more soccer jerseys than shirts I can wear to work (I could provide a list but I don’t want to bore any of you), and I always say “Oh, I’m not getting X jersey this year”, but I always somehow manage to buy the most current shirt. Are you in the camp of having to have the latest jersey no matter what or do you just have one that you’ve been wearing for years?

Discuss…

1. just got my first this year. 08 mens jersey with the little red stripes. IMO the best looking USMNT jersey ever. looked for it everywhere and finally found one on ebay.

ive been wearing it a lot lately it seems..

2. Posted by T-Muck on 2011/07/22 at 8:41 AM

I have jerseys I’ve been wearing for years (i.e. Eddie Pope USMNT blue jersey from two world cups ago). I’m picky with mine new jerseys. I have a hard time paying $60 for something that looks basically the same as last years except with the number styled a little differently. But if something looks cool, I’ll pick it up.

3. I have a few shirts, but am generally not as bothered about it as yesteryear. Mainly because of they are expensive and the frequency that they’re changed.

I have two staples:
    one retro England shirt (1966 one with a no. 6 on the back) and a retro Palace top that I have had for years, and figure that they will always be relevant.

If I go to the tournament, then I will be more inclined to buy** that year’s top. I have the England top from Euro96, France98, Euro04 and SA10. But to be perfectly honest, I wear these less and less as I get older / watch games at home rather than the pub. Although, I would like the España82 for sentimental reasons, as that is the first WC I *fully* remember, but the price is silly.

**ask for it as a birthday present…

4. Posted by EFG on 2011/07/22 at 9:25 AM

Follow on question: Are you more inclined to get a player’s name/number or a blank shirt?

• I would be more inclined to get name and number on a national top. I feel a lot of players are greedy so and so’s – many have a merchandise agreement in their club contract, and I feel they are rewarded enough already!

• Getting a name number on a National Team jersey is also good because unlike club jerseys there are no sponsors on the front and usually Nats jerseys look super empty. At least on the US jersey this year there’s the sash, but with only the crest on front it’s almost too little on the shirt.

• After FBM’s rant on jerseys a while back, I thought he’d rail against this little write-up. Haha, I’m relieved he hasn’t…yet.

5. I’ve hit a bit of a middle ground there. With the US jersey, I tend to buy each edition that is released, though with the club jerseys I am very picky and only buy one if there is a new edition I REALLY like.

6. I go for a blank shirt, I care about the team and the crest a lot more than I care about an individual player. But I have been tempted to get one with my favorite number and my name emblazoned on the back.

• Posted by EFG on 2011/07/22 at 9:34 AM

My shirts are split 50/50 between blanks/name & number. Sometimes I feel like going blank and sometimes I need DEMPSEY, for example, across my back.

7. Posted by T-Muck on 2011/07/22 at 9:36 AM

Depends on the jersey, if I’m buying it cause I think it’s a cool jersey (i.e. the black germany jersey) it’s going to be blank. Most club jerseys I get blank as well. Some jerseys look dumb with out a name and a number (i.e. 2006 USMNT blue jersey). Sometimes I’ll get a name and number if I really like the player.

• Posted by EFG on 2011/07/22 at 9:39 AM

Yeah, you kind of need the number for that blank space in the front of the ’06 blue.

• I am not having a go, but why would a non-German football fan ever wear a Germany top even if it looked nice? I just don’t get it. It seems so odd / strange to me.

8. Posted by Jessica on 2011/07/22 at 9:57 AM

Wish the women’s jersey didn’t have that fake v-neck (ooo let’s make the women look sexy or something). I bought a men’s jersey — love the design — but sadly they don’t sell women’s cuts of the men’s jersey so the shoulders are way too square/big for me.

• Posted by T-Muck on 2011/07/22 at 10:03 AM

Is it a fake v-neck or a fake zipper? I can’t tell which.

• Posted by Jessica on 2011/07/22 at 10:06 AM

Ok you’re right. It’s even worse than a fake low-cut v-neck. It’s a fake zipper. You should’ve seen the outrage when the (women’s) jersey was posted to the US Soccer facebook page. The post was “What do you think?” And the answer was OMGWTF.

• Fake v-neck I’d say. But that’s still better than Italy’s ’06 WC aways which looked like a white v-neck sweater overtop of blue shirt.

• Posted by kaya on 2011/07/22 at 11:20 AM

I think it’s called an accent. I don’t see the fake zipper or v-neck anymore than I see Adidas stripes as a fake anything.
        The 2010 USMNT sash was widely joked about as looking like a beauty competition sash and I think it was because they got the angle wrong (went over the shoulder.)

• Why do they have differents kits?

• Posted by Jessica on 2011/07/22 at 10:07 AM

(Attempt at) increasing profit.

• I like the fact that the women have their own “identity” with a separate kit. Besides, if the women wore the “beauty contest” sash, that would probably cause a bit of a backlash.

• Posted by Jessica on 2011/07/22 at 10:10 AM

I don’t know. If they had the same exact jersey as the men, I don’t think people would see it as a beauty contest sash.

And it’d still be better than trying to project a “oo look you can unzip my jersey” look.

• But people complained that it looked like a beauty contest sash on the men so it would be only natural for the same comparision to be made for the women, right?

• Posted by Jessica on 2011/07/22 at 10:16 AM

Really? I never saw anything about beauty contest sashes. Anyway it seems to be the most popular men’s jersey in quite a while based on the number of people I see wearing it on the street.

• I think the numbers sold leading up to the World Cup helped out.

• From what I saw in the World Cup, only Germany and the US Women have different kits than their men’s teams. I assume this is because Germany and the US are Nike’s and adidas’s home/flagship national teams.

As for the US Women’s jersey, my immediate thought was “How do I get to the fun zone? Oh, there’s a map to help me out. Thanks Nike, couldn’t have figured it out without you!”

• Posted by John Henry on 2011/07/22 at 10:12 AM

ha, what;s funny about that “make them sexy” joke is that these were the worst fitting, least flattering unis on any team in the whole WC. In my opinion…

• Posted by Jessica on 2011/07/22 at 10:13 AM

Yes that was just icing on the cake. I felt sorry for Hope Solo in that gray monstrosity of a uniform.

9. Posted by SamT on 2011/07/22 at 10:24 AM

You know the Italy comment above made me realize. They should have an Italy national team snood. In fact, that is probably the next evolution. National team accessories to go with your national team jersey. Bundle the Women’s jersey with an Alex Morgan neon pink replica bra. The opportunities are endless.

10. Posted by kaya on 2011/07/22 at 11:15 AM

Actually, I like the US women’s jersey… and having squished my female shape into many a boys’ jersey over the years, there’s something to be said for something that pleases the sports and female aesthetic.
    Otoh, I’d love to see guys rocking a woman player’s name/number on the back, and obviously they’re not going to buy the women’s jersey. No reason they couldn’t just get a men’s jersey and add the name/number, I suppose, but I can see the argument for, errr… uniformity of uniforms.
    I haven’t bought a jersey in a long time, but when I did it was national jerseys, often with a good deal of appearance-based preference. The closest I’ve come to liking a USMNT jersey was probably the dark 06 long sleeve. I got a Ribery Munich jersey as a gift from a German friend, but the dudes sizes are huge and I’m vain like that.
    Bottom line: get me some cute ladies cuts (also on the men’s team jerseys) and maybe I’ll pay those ridiculous prices.

11. Posted by T-Muck on 2011/07/22 at 11:41 AM

Seriously, why do they only make the women’s jersey in a women’s cut and the men’s jersey in a men’s cut? It’s like only guys are allowed to root for the men’s team, and girl’s for the women’s.

• I agree. I feel like you’d find a market (as shown above) for women’s cut USMNT jerseys.

• Posted by T-Muck on 2011/07/22 at 11:49 AM

Even for men buying a USWNT jersey. Maybe not as big as women buying the men’s jersey but there’s a market out there for it.

Curious question, do they make women’s cut of club jerseys?

12. Posted by T-Muck on 2011/07/22 at 12:40 PM

Ok, this kinda goes along the lines of FMB’s comment about jerseys being boring. Why does nike, addidas, et all have to us the same stupid design for every single jersey? The world cup in 2006 was the worst, every team looked the same just different colors. Why can’t we have some creativity with it? Ok past world cup the “ghost logo” on the shoulders of the Puma jerseys was cool, but still it was almost to same for everyone. Let’s spice it up a little here folks. Put some effort and creativity into it. What happened to like the US ’94 jersey kind of creativity, yea it was bit obnoxious, but at least it was different. Like the Mexico jersey with the Aztec face on it.

• Posted by kaya on 2011/07/22 at 2:13 PM

The Aztec face was cool. The shooting stars diarrhea, not so much.

• T-Muck – I think Nike has done a much better job in the last two World Cups of giving teams a more unique look, whereas adidas and Puma seem to crank out a template or three and just change the colors for their national and club teams. Prior to ’06, Nike was definitely in the bland and boring category.

13. Posted by euroman on 2011/07/22 at 1:21 PM

The USWNT jersey 2011 was the worst in the history of the game…hospital orderly dudes for sure.

• Posted by kaya on 2011/07/22 at 2:16 PM

I can see hospital get-up more than fake zipper/v-neck, but again, I like it. I think it has an Asian flair to the design.

14. Posted by Rich on 2011/07/22 at 2:18 PM

Just go with the scarf. Versatile, cheap, and never goes out of style.

15. Posted by Matthew on 2011/07/22 at 4:44 PM

I have a beloved grey USMNT T-Shirt but I will no longer wear it on game day after wearing it for the 2006 Czech Republic debacle.

16. Posted by DarrellMcG on 2011/07/22 at 5:14 PM

i have my gameday jersey that my gf bought me for my bday (10/11 Home Cherundolo) that we got online but besides that i have never had a full priced jersey. I have had extremely good luck pulling some sweet deals from retail outlets (TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc) including recently a 10/11 Hungary home ($16) 10/11 ukraine Home($20) 10/11 Juventus Home team issue W/o sponsor( $35) 10/11 Chi Fire team issue ($25) 9/10 Inter longsleeve (35) 10/11 Red Bulls w/ henry printing (20) and a FK Venspils Lineup Jacket (15). I know its the luck of the draw but sometime one can find some awesome stuff without breaking the bank

• Posted by EFG on 2011/07/22 at 7:49 PM

As a Roma fan, the fact that you have both a Juventus and Inter jersey makes me sad. That being said, I’ve heard it is possible to stumble across good deals at those types of outlets. Unfortunately, I haven’t been that fortunate.

17. I keep (mostly) current editions of the USMNT’s jerseys. I always try to get a young player who has a chance to be awesome. Of course it looks really weird to have a 2006 Adu jersey but it doesn’t matter.

I end up buying a Steven Gerrard Liverpool jersey about every 2 years. I just can’t help it. Although I’ll probably have to splash some cash for a Sporting Kansas City jersey now that the jerseys look cooler.

18. Posted by Jim on 2011/07/25 at 9:09 AM

I rarely buy the newest shirt. This is mainly because I’m cheap and because I don’t often wear jerseys on non gamedays as I did when I was younger. I’d love to have the newest DC United and USMNT jersey every time they unveil a new one, but I can’t justify it, and my wife would frown on it. I still have most of the jerseys I’ve purchased since 1994 or so- the amount of them that go unworn further keeps me from purchasing the latest kit every year.

19. Posted by Danimal on 2011/07/25 at 1:21 PM

I’ve got a closet full of hundreds of jerseys, but I’ve bought almost all of them used online or from friends who didn’t wear them anymore. I’ve got almost every USMNT jersey made since 1990, and I cycle through wearing all of them. I even wear the denim stars for the 4th of July. A soccer jersey is my favorite article of clothing to wear, so that helps to justify having such a large collection. I definitely would not have purchased that many if I had to pay $70-80 for each one, but being able to find them used for (mostly) $10-20 makes that particular goal much more attainable.
    I’m the same with the various club teams I support; very very rarely will I fork out for the new season’s jersey (the Timbers’ first MLS season being the notable exception), but I’m always happy to pick up older ones that people are selling. As long as it doesn’t have gaping holes in it, I don’t really care if someone else has worn it first. I also like to pick up national team jerseys for countries that I have lived in, have ancestral ties to, or just have visited and really liked.
    As far as names and numbers, I don’t get them on club team jerseys, mostly because of the general transient nature of most players. I do have a couple of national team jerseys with names and numbers of some true living legends like McBride or Donovan, but I generally like the simplicity and non-specificity of the blank back.

20. Hello, my name is Nick and I have a soccer jersey addiction….

I’ve got a closet full of jerseys that don’t get worn as much as I’d like, though working from home sees them used more often than most people. Since I just had a kid, I have to cut back on my habit and have decided to only purchase USMNT jerseys and no more club jerseys except in rare circumstances, such as foreign traveling (picked up a PSG in Paris and a NZ Home on the kiwi islands) or rare awesomeness like a Portman Kunis United home shirt (www.portmankunisunited.com/) – PKU is an 11th Div Dallas area men’s league team but the crest and team name are quite Epic.

My biggest wish for Nike’s future USMNT Designs would be to bring back a collar and make it look classy so I can wear them out on the golf course on 100 degree days instead of a cotton shirt.