Chicago Fire Secure Pavel Pardo; Release Kristic

"Pardo" me Kristic, my turn....

The Chicago Fire–all-star deficient this week–will bring aboard former Mexican international Pavel Pardo. The defensive midfielder will be added to the Fire’s roster upon pending Visa clearance. No terms we disclosed.

The Guadalajara, Mexico product will be eligible for selection by interim head coach Frank Klopas when the Fire host the Philadelphia Union.

Just a few weeks ago, TSG got a question on who might be a good fit and our choice was Dejan Stankovic, a central defensive midfielder for Milan. That pick was of course a reach and, in Pardo, hopefully the Fire get a man who can provide some backline protection as well as maintain the ball to huck it up field on the wing to Marco Pappa.

The 35-year-old CDM was most recently with Club America and was a Bundesliga champion with Stutgart in 2007.

The Fire release Bratislav Ristic to make way for Pardo.

1. Posted by dth on 2011/07/26 at 9:07 AM

Pandering pick. I guess Chicago management just doesn’t get it. It’s really sad, particularly in youth development. Who’s doing it best? Your Dallases, D.C.s, and to a lesser extent L.A. There’s no inherent reason Chicago should be sucking it up near the rear–Chicagoland has produced 4 EPL players I can think of off the top of my head (McBride, Guzan, Lichaj, Spector), and the thing you’ll notice about all of them is…a distinct lack of melanin. Chicago, of course, has one of the highest proportions of Mexican immigrants and other Latin American immigrants in the country.

So, again, it’s a huge missed opportunity for Chicago on many different levels.

2. Posted by Tom on 2011/07/26 at 10:13 AM

Holy jeez this is some sad stuff from Frank and company. You’d think they’d have learned from last year’s Nery Castillo debacle. At least it’s not DP money and I’m sure this will put a few more fans in the seats, but this is not exactly visionary stuff from a team with such a proud tradition. Today I can only half-heartedly say, Go Fire.

• Posted by Ufficio on 2011/07/26 at 10:42 AM

I don’t see how this has anything to do with the Castillo debacle, other than both players in question being Mexican.

I guess I’m in the minority here, but I like the move. We get a good, if aging, player on the cheap, that just happens to address one of our most glaring weaknesses. It’s probably too little, too late for the regular season, but if we can integrate Pardo and Grazzini in the next month or so, and they help us contend for the US Open Cup, it’s worth it. Very little downside to this, in my opinion.

3. Posted by Tom on 2011/07/26 at 6:49 PM

The similarities start with both being Mexican, which always invites the cynics to assume this just being done to pander to the Latino fan base. From there, it goes on with 1) midseason signings not committed for the following season and 2) players who are past their prime or otherwise have issues.

Just would have liked to see someone signed to a longer-term deal who actually has something left to give. Let’s hope I’m wrong. I’ll be there to find out in person against PHL next week.

• Posted by Ufficio on 2011/07/26 at 10:57 PM

You think criticism from cynics or the fact he was a mid-season signing had anything to do with Castillo’s failure in Chicago ? (Your item 2 isn’t a similarity but two completely different things grouped together.) It’s the “other issues” that are key here: Castillo failed precisely because he is as unprofessional as any soccer player not named Balotelli. It’s no coincidence that he spent a couple years rotting on various benches before coming to Chicago.

The lesson from the Castillo affair is “if you must take a chance on bench-warming headcase, at least don’t throw a million dollars at him”. None of that applies to Pardo. I guess there’s a chance that he’s looking at his upcoming stint in Chicago as an extended vacation, but given his record I say we give him the benefit of the doubt. Even if I’m wrong, we’re out relative peanuts.

4. Posted by Pedropedropedro on 2011/07/26 at 10:35 PM

> The defensive midfielder will be added to the Fire’s roster upon pending Visa clearance.

He was inexpensive enough that his contract could be put on the credit card, but there’s been a slight delay in the approval process… (the document the US gov’t issues is lower case. Sorry, couldn’t resist)