The Presser: Jurgen Klinsmann Speaks Monday In NY

Selected quotes from the AP from the new manager of the USMNT, Jurgen Klinsmann.

After the jump, Alexi Lalas on the hire….

1. Posted by Josh on 2011/08/02 at 12:52 AM

It’s instructive that even at this late hour there is no video from the presser on USSoccer.com. I’m assuming deep down Klinsi truly wants to say: USSF is an amateurish outfit and I wish I/we clean house starting at the top and build from the top down.

In the past several weeks I’ve contacted the USSF and my local US fed rep regarding the anti-trust nature of the USSF, and what’s more the great many more dollars this country could make if we applied capitalism.

I say: dissolve USSF and let the free market have its say. I’d much rather bow down to the likes of Nike, Budweiser, Ford, McDonalds etc than some un-elected body like the USSF who is virtually unaccountable to no one. And that’s BS! This is America laissez faire capitalism. The beating heart of US soccer demands freedom.

This said I am thrilled about the Klinsi hire. I hope he helps unlease the free-market forces which will, ultimately, deliver us a World Cup title.

• Posted by Steven on 2011/08/02 at 4:21 AM

What in the world are you talking about?!

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/02 at 5:49 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble…but the entire 40 minute press conference is available on us soccer. Plus a nine minute interview.

• Posted by Josh on 2011/08/03 at 5:52 AM

Indeed. But it took an *entire day.* In any other major professional league the interview would’ve been streamed live on the team web site and been immediately available online.

Perhaps i got ahead of myself. I am pleased USSoccer.com doesn’t have the capability to at minimum put the presser up asap, not to mention not stream it live. My point is the USSF, as it is, is an out-date dinosaur with no overarching oversight and accountability. Their shitty online savvy is a reflection of that.

Let’s be honest: hiring Klinsi represents a historic, seismic shift for US Soccer. So I would expect the USSF would harness and market that from the get go. There’s much room for improvement and growth from our national soccer leadership.

• Posted by crow on 2011/08/02 at 6:11 AM

Based off josh’s comments I think he should move to Rapture. Unrestricted capitalism at its finest! Maybe you be the technical director for Andrew Ryan’s soccer team.

• Posted by Josh on 2011/08/03 at 6:03 AM

My point stands: USA is the largest single national market in the world. And we are publicly led by Gulati an unpaid economics professor. The profit motive is what drives everything, sports and life. Yet we’re governed by an unaccountble entity shielded too much from the free-market system.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/08/02 at 9:18 AM

And what do you call the collective bargaining that happens across US sports?

• Posted by KickinNames.... on 2011/08/02 at 12:28 PM

With all due respect…HUH??!!

2. Posted by Josh on 2011/08/02 at 1:04 AM

In other words: we remain the single largest national market in the world. Thierry Henry just said it: until we remove the salary cap from MLS we won’t attract top European talent. I know MLS has a cap for the survivability of the league.

But there must be a way to further unleash our cash money as the wealthiest society in the world, to further the game state side. For one as said let’s dissoled USSF and have more of a for-proit, cutthroat national set up like the Brits and others have.

Bottom line: money talks, and that’s one thing we as Americans have access to. Throwing money at a challenge is often a good solution. It can force and speed growth whiich wouldn’t have occurred otherwise. Faster evolution.

• Posted by chazcar2 on 2011/08/02 at 6:27 AM

I understand that your argument is inherently political, which I am not a fan of discussing because it leads to heated or improper comments. That said, I will try to reply without being too negative

Every nation has a FA of some sort controlling the domestic leagues and national team. Some nations are more successful than others. What we should strive for is an organization that is transparent and accountable. Letting corporations or “free market” control things isn’t better for anyone but the corporations.

As for free spending. The EPL doesn’t help England win anything. Completely uncapped/free spending has arguably hurt the game in Europe, where now only a few top teams can compete. Look at the Spanish league. Its Real Madrid and Barcelona and then a bunch of push overs. They are losing ground on the other leagues as a result. Most teams in Europe are run without making money. German teams seem to be able to at least break even due to the regulations of their FA.

American Soccer doesn’t have access to tons of money. It’s all tied into the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, College football/basketball. The NFL is a much better LEAGUE than any soccer league in the world. They actually make money, while providing an entertaining product that involves fans from every team. Do I wish the NFL was a soccer league? Yes. As a result I would like to see MLS base its league around a combination of NFL and European systems, maintaining a profitable and highly competitive league, but still raising the level of play to match the bigger European leagues.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/08/02 at 9:25 AM

NFL is a closed shop and a nice cosy little number for the owners. Do you think the same would happen if there was relegation?

• Posted by Josh on 2011/08/04 at 11:24 PM

Actually has nothing to do with politics. I just want the very best for US Soccer, and I feel the USSF hasn’t helped much in the past. From my pov, it has been more stodgy stable mother than aggressive lion. Admittedly my data are limited. And for one I know the money has never been there.

But why can’t we do better, why should the USSF seemingly rule American soccer as a dictatorship. It’s just as a die-hard supporter of US soccer, I want our nation to harness all of her vast capabilities to further the team.

Your info. is very informative and it’s great to learn from people who know way more than I. I still have a lot to learn about the broader economics of professional and international soccer.

Regarding Barca and RM being the only major kings in La Liga: look at what that has brought Spain internationally. I could careless about a balanced MLS. If we could produce a couple super clubs a la La Liga and have that further a world-class national team: sign me up.

I have no problem copying Spain’s current professional model. Seems to have worked out for their national team okay.

• Posted by Ufficio on 2011/08/02 at 7:45 AM

Well, by rule we need a single federation accredited with FIFA. So if we dissolve the USSF and introduce “capitalism” who gets the accreditation? Whoever pays the biggest bribe to Sepp?

• Posted by Josh on 2011/08/05 at 12:03 AM

And that’s a huge problem itself. It’s a sad state of soccer affairs each nation’s FA must be certified by FIFA, one of the most detesable sporting entities in the word. I

I detest FIFA with a passion as I’m sure many do. First, any organization based in Switzerland – a country officially friends to all i.e. friends to none – is suspect. We all know Switzerland is an internationl crossroads of shadiness & criminality. Not that I don’t love the nation and her people, both are beautiful. I’ve had nothing but wonderful experiences there.

I digress: Who gave FIFA some endowed right to govern the greatest sport in human history? Soccer belongs to all of us, every person. So happy FIFA’s foundations are cracking. It’s way past time FIFA went the way of the do-do bird (sp?).

When the FIFA ref Goulally whistled away Dempsey’s goal v Slovenia in the WC … how bad was that. I called FIFA in Geneva I was so livid.

Anyway, it’s a sad state of affairs each nation’s FA

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/08/02 at 9:34 AM

Even if you did remove the salary cap, the competition is lacking. Sure, you might get some players past their peak, but how do you think MLS can compete with the money from TV Rights and CL Money? Not to mention most players regard the CL as the ultimate in club football.

MLS has been remarkable in its evolution, and they have grown the league at a sustainable rate. US football will reach the top, but I am not sure MLS will.

3. Posted by dikranovich on 2011/08/02 at 7:07 AM

one thing is for sure, there were probably no other “foreign” coaches out there who could name the last three us national team coaches. yet klinsmann stopped at mentioning bora in the liniage. interesting

4. Posted by Gregorio on 2011/08/02 at 7:19 AM

Since we’re on a tangent, here let’s look at the other american sports to see what goes around the world in sports that we supposedly dominate in, say as in Basketball or Baseball, do clubs in europe or South America clamour for american coaches? I know Bobby Valentine worked in Japan, do the Italian basketball clubs Milan’s Fans or Split in Croatia, scream that their coaches lack the experience and panache of American coaches? Sounds like a great gig for some, imagine them figthing to hire Dennis Rodman? it would be like Maradona. Or hire Ron Artest in Turkey.

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/02 at 9:31 AM

There are a number of American coaches in Europe–one of the best in Europe, David Blatt, is American. The issue with American coaches in Europe, though, is that there are so many jobs in the U.S. that they’d rather stick here.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/08/02 at 9:35 AM

Really? That’s hardly the case DTH.

Give me a few examples of US Coaches that were offered jobs overseas or turned them down.

It is much harder for an American — perception-wise, respresentation-wise to get a job overseas if they weren’t already a player, coach or scout in the locale.

What facts do you have to back up your assertion?

5. Posted by dikranovich on 2011/08/03 at 2:04 PM

there is just so much anticipation with this first game coming up. i want to see results right off the bat. it does not have to be in the way of wins, but it better be, but i want to see how the players are going to play for coach klinsmann. there has got to be a little bit of a magic potion in this new hire. i mention this because when you look back over history and see what bora accomplished with what he had, which was not bad at all, in the way of players, but now with klinsmann, i think we are going to see a lot of these players start acting a lot more professional. no more hands up in the air every time adu gets touched, no more finger wagging from deuce, no more mouthing off from donovan, the presumtive future captain. this team is expected to reach a much higher level than its current place, and im not talking about ten years from now when klinsmanns kids are all growed up.