US Roster Wednesday…The Klinsmann Journey Begins

With the United States-Mexico friendly nary two weeks away, Jurgen Klinsmann’s first brushstroke to his legacy begins.

But who else?

Wednesday.

On Wednesday, the US roster comes out for the August 10th friendly against El Tri in Philadelphia.

There is a lot to balance in the first roster announcement including dialing up the appropriate amount of cut-bait with respect for legacy players. All of this is of course subject merely to availability and with little time to navigate.

Per his press conference and Sunil’s words afterward, expect many of the same faces to go up against Mexico.

It will be interesting though to see just who, especially in Europe, Klinsmann secures with clubs readying for the beginning of the season.

Help us shake it out.

Busy, Call Back Later

Clint Dempsey. “Sorry, Jurgy. I’m exhausted.”

Hard to imagine Fulham and US managing a Deuce recall for this one. The Gold Cup  burned out Dempsey and Fulham gave him a huge rest through the opening of the Europa Cup this summer.

Our guess is he stays in London.

Steve Cherundolo. Just about ready to return from an injury. May get a call-in in Belgium. Will be interesting in that Cherundolo was rumored to announce his international retirement before the Gold Cup.

Timothy Chandler. Seems a bit much for the youngster. A call-in and pressure against Mexico with his mind on the season at Nurnberg. US fans will see Chandler in Belgium.

Jozy Altidore. Perhaps a call-in. No player needs to get his club career on track more than Jozy right now. Can’t afford another injury on international duty either.

I Got Through And They Can Make It

Landon Donovan. No. Brainer.

Freddy Adu. “I’m doing absolutely nothing right now. Seriously.”

Michael Bradley. Very, very interesting. Does Klinsmann risk public outcries if he gives him a cooling off period? He should be there. Can’t see him not being.

Maurice Edu. Has his shoes shined and likely will be on the pitch two hours before he’s supposed to be.

Carlos Bocanegra. Would be poor form not to have the captain there.

Tim Howard. See Carlos Bocanegra.

Clarence Goodson. Deserving of course.

Juan Agudelo. Klinsmann, Monday:

There’s so much influence coming from the Latin environment over the last 15-20 years. It also has to be reflected in the U.S. National Team, and you have so many kids now with dual citizenship, Mexican or other Central American countries and American, so that will always be a topic to discuss.

You’re in Agudelo.

Alejandro Bedoya. Speaking of…

Brek Shea. I’m not Latin, but sometimes I play like it on FC Dallas. I’m also left-footed and have the lead in the “the hair that made Clint Mathis popular in Germany” category.

Tim Ream. Yes? No?

or Heath Pearce. Hmm.

Benny Feilhaber. Benny just became free, but does he still have it?

Jermaine Jones. The token German? Or is that now Klinsmann. Wednesday will tell us.

Marcus Hahnemann. Consistency and no worries with this pick.

I Didn’t Even Know You Had My Number

Sean Franklin. Look, just because I’m the president of the Franklin Fan Club, doesn’t mean that you don’t want one of the faster rightbacks on form right now to get a call-in. Plus he can split a rental car with Landon. Critical because Klinsmann (and Bradley’s buyout) is going to cost US Soccer.

Geoff Cameron. The one guy whose stock legitimately increased at the MLS All-Star game.

Bobby Convey. He’s got to consider it, no? They could always just say this was a look-see, a courtesy in his hometown. Long live the 2006 World Cup memories?

Chris Pontius. Deserves the look ahead of Charlie Davies, though Klinsmann could use Davies speed.

Did it go to voicemail? (On the fringe?)

Jonathan Spector. Not a Klinsmann sort of player, being reluctant to get up the flank and lifting in crosses instead. Might Specs days on the depth chart now be numbered.

(Oh and Spec, two years now at Birmingham City, good move.)

Eric Lichaj. “All I’ve really been doing is going to play some 7-on-7 in Hong Kong.” … and now I’ve got an injury.

Teal Bunbury. He does have free time.

Jose Torres. Is it too soon or does the precedent need to be set? We say no.

Mixx Diskerud. Does his chance–a much needed one–start now?

Not ringing.

Jonathan Bornstein. If only for the public and I say that in a non-joking manner.

Robbie Rogers. I’ll run with the whole, “They played some semi-pro league together” some other time.

1. Posted by dth on 2011/08/02 at 9:35 AM

See, if US Soccer wants a right back who it can save money on, Sheanon Williams lives in the exact same city as the game.

That said, US Soccer has nothing to worry about money-wise. And, if not, it can just print money whenever it wants.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/08/02 at 9:37 AM

Sheanon Williams will make a camp. Just not this one.

• Posted by crow on 2011/08/03 at 8:29 AM

What a story sheannon Williams is. From obscurity in my hometown harrisburg pa with the city islanders to being a key for the philly union. Im biased but I think he should have made the all star game and I do hope he makes a mnt camp someday.

• Posted by Alex on 2011/08/02 at 9:58 AM

Probably Costa Rica friendly or at least Cupcakes

2. Posted by Alex on 2011/08/02 at 9:39 AM

I know TSG is an advocate of Bornstein, but I, along with 95% of other fellow USMNT fans, am hoping that Bornstein never gets called up again. My guess is he won´t. Bornstein will never fit into the mentality of efficiency and consistency that most Germans have. Yes, Bornstein had a lot working against him in the GC final (and it was of course not his decision to be put it, it was the late Bob Bradley’s), Bornstein is irratic. And until Bornstein shows some of the German’s proven winning mentality of efficiency and consistency, Bornstein will not play. ällës für Jürgën

3. Posted by John Henry on 2011/08/02 at 9:40 AM

Is beckerman not one of the top 3 holding midfielders in MLS? I know the Yanks are stacked in the midfield, but I really like Beckerman every time I see him play (admittedly rarely).

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/08/02 at 9:43 AM

Debated throwing him on there. He’s got a shot for sure.

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/02 at 9:44 AM

Like Jose Francisco Torres, has issues with high speed of play. Probably best as an option against bunkering teams….

but then again I have no idea what Klinsmann’s judgment will be, so, you know.

• i agree, beckerman looks more comfortable on the ball to me, than most anyone else in mls, excpet maybe beckham. it just looks easy for beckerman.
      thats not to say that makes for a good int player, but he seems so un shakable.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/08/03 at 3:43 PM

It’s interesting you say that because when Beckerman had an extended run with the US “B” team in the 2009 Gold Cup he looked like he had the heart and the brains to be a fine central midfielder if he had any skill at all.

• Posted by dude on 2011/08/02 at 8:43 PM

Really, because every time I see him play for the nats, he’s too slow for the game, his tackling is erratic, and he turns it over more than Ricardo Clark. Sorry, he’s a symbol for the gap between MLS veteran and international prospect.

4. Posted by Alex on 2011/08/02 at 9:57 AM

As a bigger National team fan than any club team, I hate that the Dynamo are “ruining” Geoff Cameron. He has all the tools to be a great CB at the international but due to the dearth of CBs and lack of CM’s he plays a box to box role. Is there anybody who plays DM for their club and CB for their nat team?

And is it possible that any of our younger CB options (other than Ream) gets a call up? i.e. John, Gonzalez. And how about maybe Jay Demerit getting another cap? Or is he hurt again I don’t really follow the Whitecaps.

• Posted by Erik the Orange on 2011/08/02 at 10:05 AM

Ruining? I understand you put that in quotes, but not sure what you meant by the quotes. If that means you disagree with where he’s being played positionally, I’d say that any center back that gets reps as a middie can only be improving his distribution and foot skills. That said, point taken, he could also better his understanding of center back. Marquez played that role…CB for his country and DM for his club.

While we’re on the Dynamo………Brad Davis. ‘Nuff said.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/08/02 at 10:05 AM

Gonzo will get a call, but he’s just coming back from injury. DeMerit is still out. George John would be interesting, but maybe I see that next time.

• Posted by Alex on 2011/08/02 at 10:29 AM

In reply to Erik, while it might be helpful that he’s getting more time with the ball at his feet (and you can see he is comfortable in possession) I think he really needs reps at CB so he has more postional sense. During the allstar game, he really looked like a DM playing CB. Thanks for the Marquez reference though, I knew there were some but I couldn’t remember any names.

And Gonzo’s injury shouldn’t be detrimental, I mean, he has that cool mask now!

• Posted by Kyle on 2011/08/02 at 12:48 PM

Will Chuck D get the call?

5. Posted by 3VIL L33T on 2011/08/02 at 10:38 AM

wow Brian Ching didn’t even make the Not ringing list. sad sad day.

brad davis +1

• Posted by Randy on 2011/08/02 at 3:21 PM

Cameron deserves the shot for sure. Davis I’m not so sure. Ching is done on the international level.

6. Posted by Alex Song on 2011/08/02 at 11:04 AM

Saw Pontius in person on Saturday. Decent player, but don’t seem him as international quality. If he is, we’re in big trouble.

I don’t expect many interesting names for this game. Shea would be nice, just to see if he can translate his MLS success to the USA shirt. Hope JK will bleed some of the top young talent soon. Want to see Gatt, Gyau, and Lletget get a chance soon, though it might be unlikely.

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/02 at 11:07 AM

Pontius is inconsistent. When he’s on, he’s dazzling. Probably too late for him to develop into somebody you’d really want on the team–wish he’d gotten himself out of college sooner–but he could be a situational player/sub for the U.S.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/08/02 at 11:17 AM

Going at you today DTH. You could say the same about Jozy as well. Even more so.

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/02 at 11:57 AM

True, but their positions are different (Pontius is a winger and Jozy a forward), and their ages are much different. Jozy’s still at an age where he’s learning stuff; Pontius, at 24, shouldn’t have big gaps in his game if he wants to make an impact.

• Posted by dude on 2011/08/02 at 8:47 PM

What big gaps do you speak of? I’m a DC fan, and though Pontius has suffered from diabolical bad luck with finishing lately (cross bars, tough angles, and a very wide position) he’s still been the most dangerous player we’ve got. Najar sometimes goes into Demigod mode, and De Ro is becoming our veteran leader, but this guy has more than enough talent to get a call. If Rogers and Beasley still get mentioned, his name should be screamed.

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/02 at 9:07 PM

Sure. I’m not saying he shouldn’t get the call–only that I don’t foresee him becoming a starter, more a situational player/super sub.

I like Pontius’s aggressive mentality, his dribbling, and his two-footedness. I have questions about his consistency, I don’t think he offers much by way of vision, nor off-the-ball (in terms of defending, especially). He gets tunnel-vision sometimes. Still, a very good player, particularly at the MLS level. You also have to wonder whether Pontius–as you do about all MLS players who you’re hoping make the leap–can do the stuff he’s good at a high speed of play. That’s why guys like Jose Francisco Torres, for example, haven’t made the kind of impact proponents think they should have (and blamed Bob Bradley for).

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/08/02 at 10:55 PM

On Pontius’s Christmas List:

Left.
              Foot.

He gets that and he’s a lot more dangerous. A lot.

DTH, If you think he’s two-footed, well, I’d like to see who think is one footed.

• Posted by Matt Mathai on 2011/08/03 at 10:15 AM

I think Pontius has more of a left foot than you give him credit for. I’ve seen him shoot and pass with his left. His play is more inconsistent than it should be, but he’s coming back from injuries that destroyed him last year. When he’s on he can dominate a game. He just has to learn to be on every game.

I like his aggression and nose for goal.

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/03 at 11:57 AM

Yeah, Pontius’s left foot is week. I exaggerated its strength. Still, he can finish with both feet and is comfortable with both feet dribbling. He could certainly get much better, to be sure.

I think the “other stuff” of his game is much weaker than his on-the-ball attacking.

• Posted by Sgc on 2011/08/04 at 7:40 AM

It is a shame that Pontius didn’t get into a better teaching environment a little earlier, but consistency is the one thing you can pick up relatively late in career.

His 1v1 skills, though, either you have them as a teenager or you probably never will.

The speed of play/thought is a question, but it’s one that can only be answered by actually seeing him. I say come the Costa Rica game, which is likely to be MLS-heavy, we take a look.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/08/03 at 7:35 AM

Much of Altidore’s deficiency is the technical side of his game. Do you think he’s at an age where he can iron this out? He’s got a first touch of a trampoline and the finesse of Peter Sutcliffe. I feel this is a classic example of somebody physically developing early and using it to his advantage in youth football – the problem now is that he doesn’t have that advantage anymore. And he doesn’t possess the FQ

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/08/03 at 8:05 AM

Agree George — if he doesn’t figure it out this stop he stops looking awfully pedestrian.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/08/03 at 10:43 AM

It is so frustrating to hear time and time again that “he’s young, and has time to develop” or “he has a high ceiling”. He’s almost 22 and has been a pro for 5 year, the last 3 in Europe… and he is a Bradenton Academy grad. I know you’re not blessed with strikers at the moment, and he’s probably the best of a mediocre bunch, but some of the stuff I read on here is quite frankly fantasy.

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/03 at 11:56 AM

I think you’re getting the order wrong here. Altidore was worse against youth players than pro players; he came off of the bench for the u-17 team and was not regarded as a premium prospect. He was drafted in the second round, between luminaries Lance Watson and Blake Wagner. Then, in MLS he blossomed and was playing against men. (In this, the similarities to Juan Agudelo’s story are disturbingly close). I hate posting this video over and over but:

That’s not the highlight reel of a “tank” striker. I doubt Villarreal would be interested in such a striker.

Somewhere along the line, he became less dynamic and tried to act like he was a target striker.

• Posted by Intel Agent on 2011/08/03 at 12:56 PM

Ha, Lance Watson. Now there is a name I did not expect to see on this site. Could have been a good player, but couldn’t stay fit and a carousel of coaches hurt his career.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/08/03 at 3:43 PM

If I had time, I am sure I could find a YouTube clip that shows the exact opposite. Plus, you have to ask yourself, what have you seen over the past couple of seasons, in whole games, rather than an edited clip from an obviously biased US fan?

Re. you Villareal comment – exactly how many games did he play for them? And they sent him out on loan, and probably took a financial hit just to get rid of him. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, eh? Me thinks that they made a mistake and got it badly wrong – it happens…

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/03 at 4:00 PM

I’m not trying to claim he’s really good–obviously the evidence points against that–but that he’s not the tank you seem to think he is. Irrespective of how good he turned out to be, Villarreal wouldn’t pay $10 million for an Heskey clone.

• Going to have to agree to disagree George – he’s got the first touch of a cinder block (every once in a while the spin on the ball drops it into an advantageous position) and the finesse of…well it depends on the game. I agree with DTH he isn’t quite a tank, but he’s not a Ferrari either.

As for his technical abilitiies, I think he’s a prime example of the downside of US Youth Development for the 20-30 year olds out there, and in some areas of the country it is still prevalent – taking the best athletes and setting them loose without really attempting to hone their athletic abilities for the sport by challenging them appropriately.

I’ll never forget the first glimpse into a club I ended up coaching for in Illinois; it was a “tryout” for girls in the 13-15 year old range, and the President of the club told me to take note of the faster players because “you can teach them soccer, but you can’t teach speed.” This statement is true to an extent if the player’s speed without the ball can be utilized in soccer situations and if they can grasp the technical and tactical side of the game, but speed (and size) alone doesn’t make a good soccer player. The problem with this guy’s thinking and a lot of coaches that have worked with those of us in the 20-30 range is that fast and strong allow you to win games if your opponents haven’t hit their growth spurts yet, and winning is the be-all-end-all in this country.

It won’t be until (and I haven’t read Claudio Reyna’s 125 page curriculum, yet) we as a soccer playing nation start rewarding the youth clubs for churning out players instead of just winners, learning to win is something that shouldn’t be ignored, but winning (at the youth level) at the expense of playing well and developing should be ignored.

As for Jozy, I think there’s time for him to improve but he’s getting long in the tooth for us to expect him to become a mercurial talent capable of single-handedly changing the complexion of a game. I also wonder if his current decline in form for the Nats, and consequently his club is that Bobbo kept using him as a lone striker which he’s clearly not. I see him more in the Thierry Henry mold in that he finds more joy when he can drift out wide as he pleases, but as the “target striker” in a 4-5-1 he’s “confined” to the middle of the field which makes him easier to mark out of the game. Giving him a longer leash should help a little as would playing another forward/attack minded player with/off him; it’s no secret Jozy really started coming into his own during the 2010 cycle when Brian Ching or Charlie Davies was drawing attention further up the field allowing him to work in between the Def and Midfield bands.

7. Posted by Dan on 2011/08/02 at 11:15 AM

As long as Bornstein is out of the US picture for good, Juergen will already be miles ahead of Bradley. God, Bornstein is so awful it hurts. He pretty much cost us the Mexico Gold Cup final. Not to say it was all his fault, but we were looking pretty good up 2-0 before Cherundolo went down and Bornstein came on. I would have fired Bradley just for that, especially with Spector sitting on the bench and a plethora of CBs he could have put in to slide Bocanegra over to the left. What an epic mistake!

• Posted by Ufficio on 2011/08/02 at 12:49 PM

We were up 1-0 when Bornstein come on, actually. Putting Bornstein on was probably the least bad option at that point, but Bob has to be faulted for the roster selections that left him with only terrible options when Cherundolo went down.

• Posted by Russell on 2011/08/02 at 9:10 PM

Moving Lichaj to RB was per se equally if not worse than subbing in Bornstein.. Mexico had been pressing his side and he had held. Moving him to RB mid game was throwing the kid into the fire. It weakened two spots. Aside from Johnny Dangerously that is why that sub was not the least bad option.

8. Posted by justin on 2011/08/02 at 11:23 AM

this is excluding guys like edu, bradley, goodson, bedoya… if they are there, they’re in… it’s kindof like our mls +mexico… the only thing is holding mids, if edu, bradley, or jones don’t show, it will be interesting to see who is put in there.

franklin-gonzo-ream-convey
    beckerman-torres
    feilhaber-donovan- davis/shea
    agudelo

9. Posted by justin on 2011/08/02 at 11:47 AM

is it too early for josh gatt?

• Posted by Ufficio on 2011/08/02 at 1:19 PM

Molde have games on both the 10th and the 17th. If I were Klinsmann, I wouldn’t interfere with the good thing he has going at his club right now. His first cap with the full team can’t be far off, though.

10. Posted by Chambers on 2011/08/02 at 12:17 PM

never too early for the pace of josh gatt!
    Or Joe Gyau for that matter, just probably not the right game. Klinsi could be crazy and bring in some of the U-20’s like Boss, Kitchen, Doyle, Wood, Zahavi…and intermix with them with the vets. Which would make more sense, with olympic qualifying coming up, and not enough time for a realistic result. I wanna see Luis Gil and all the young bucks start to get caps. John anothany Brooks, and the german revolution included. All this talk of a lack of talent, and i’m of the belief we have quite a bit of talent, and now we put the system in place to sculpt it.

• Posted by BernieBernier on 2011/08/02 at 7:05 PM

Even if they weren’t ready for caps I would like to see 2 or 3 younger players getting camp experience every time. No need to bring Gooch in to camp if Gooch is going to be the 4th CB. Its a friendly. Worst case scenario we lose. Its all about prep for qualifying. Let Brooks go to camp and not dress or not play rather than Gooch. We can rotate Gooch in as the third guy next friendly.

I would like to see 11 starters, 5 legit back-ups/possible starters and then a couple young guys.

Basically Bedoya yes (back-up/possible starter, Spector no (don’t ever see a scenario where he plays in qualifying). Even if Spector is one of the 23 best at this point its all about people that can make an impact in Brazil. Thats not Spector. No offense to the Birmingham signee, just picking someone.

• Posted by mbw on 2011/08/02 at 7:52 PM

I agree in principle with the suggestion that a few young guys should be called into camp at each friendly, but right now all the contenders are either fighting to establish themselves with their clubs (Brooks, Morales) or else not quite good enough yet (Lletget, Gil, Okugo, Gyau . . . ). And you’re right about Gooch — he can still be an important part of the team in this cycle, but for now he shouldn’t eat up a camp slot until he forces his way back into the picture through his club performances. Of all the options at center half, he’s a known entity.

11. Posted by KickinNames.... on 2011/08/02 at 12:35 PM

I’d like to see a Diskerud/Adu addition to the CMF. I, like most, see Mike Bradley having a future with the squad but in maybe a more limited attacking role, but this might a good opportunity to evaluate the MF without him.

12. Bedoya…and may be Kljestan…What da hell we got a coach for…? for the same good ol bulls $hit…

13. Either this list has a Bob Bradley hangover or Klinsi still has to choose from the same players. Do you think Sunil told him?

I think Herc Gomez and Torres. Yes. Castillo. Maybe.

• Posted by Ufficio on 2011/08/02 at 1:44 PM

Castillo’s a clown. A clown that’s totaled just over 600 minutes for two different mediocre Primera Division teams over the past year. No, thanks.

• Posted by Berg on 2011/08/02 at 2:13 PM

Any Joe Corona love? Seems to be a player who is starting his ascendency.

• Posted by Alex on 2011/08/02 at 2:29 PM

Well of course there’s a “Bob Bradley hangover”. The dude really tried to expand our player pool. And its not like adding Klinsmann magically improved our pool with everybody and their brother starting for their Euro teams. Most of our high potential U-20 players are still that, youth players with high potential. Very few have broken into their club’s first team rosters, some that have aren’t seeing that many minutes. And not everybody will be released by their respective clubs.

It’s fantastic that Chandler seems to be coming though. FC Nuremburg owes us that much.

• Posted by justin on 2011/08/02 at 3:13 PM

exactly
        unless this is the next movie in the Mighty Ducks franchise, we are not going to see any new players popping up while the usmnt roller blades through the local mall. I believe over the next year we will see maybe a handful of brand new faces, but for the most part our very own emilio estevez, jurgie, is gonna use the same peeps.

that might be the next great piece… pairing up our own players with characters from Mighty Ducks II…. any takers?

• Posted by Tux on 2011/08/02 at 3:38 PM

Unless Hope Solo becomes the backup keeper for the men’s team, yeah, D2 ain’t happening.

That said, I’d love to have a little more Averman in my life. And having Reed and Portman would be nice for the next time Nigel de Jong takes a swipe at Holden’s ankles.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/08/02 at 10:40 PM

Bob Bradley hangover. I expect that. I see it very hard–and foolish–to attempt to do much in a short 1-game camp.

Costa Rica and Belgium will be different in my opinion.

15 of the 20 I think will be “hangovers”

14. Posted by Berniebernier on 2011/08/02 at 2:13 PM

I expect a lot of people to get a call in and a look at some point. This is why we needed a new coach. Its his first friendly and one without a camp. From that point of view the first 18 or so he calls in is rather irrelevant. This is a sorting our process that we will need to go through over time. I am very excited to see some new blood.

15. Posted by Antonio H. on 2011/08/02 at 5:39 PM

Edgar Castillo?

16. Posted by Roger on 2011/08/02 at 6:12 PM

I’m San Jose fan, and I know (most likely) with an 85% guarantee that Wondo won’t be called up. For the Quakes, I love Wondo, but for the USMNT I don’t know. Maybe it’s just that Nats don’t play his style or it’s the lack of providers in the team. On the other hand, Lenhart is a speedy forward and good in the air. Maybe Klinsmann will take a look at him.

17. Posted by osbaldo on 2011/08/02 at 7:31 PM

wat about buddle

• Posted by osbaldo on 2011/08/02 at 7:32 PM

also damarcus beasly playing good footbal in puebla and or golie brad guzan. mentioning mls players ned to considr omar gonzales.

18. Posted by dude on 2011/08/02 at 8:56 PM

Again, the federation has set the team up for failure with greed and poor timing. That being said, I say we get the best, most experienced squad we can, supplemented by players like Adu, Mixx, Gatt, and/or Shea, and go out to play an inauspicious friendly. Would be nice to see some smart moves by Klinsmann, but this isn’t anything to judge him by. Mexico is on fire right now, and clearly their youth teams are in better shape. Aw. I look forward to the next few matches.

• Posted by Russell on 2011/08/02 at 9:17 PM

I agree with this completely. Adu, Mixx, Gatt, and/or Shea. Go with the youngsters and MLS/Mexico guys. Inauspicious. Similar to the SA game. Nothing to be gained in this game results wise. Everything to gain as the first step toward qualifying. Then go for it against Belgium.

RE Franklin and Cameroon.. One game is one game.. But against the type of superior talent the USMNT will face, didn’t Franklin get turned around/abused for a goal and wasnt it obvious the defense got worse when Olave left?

19. Posted by Gregorio on 2011/08/02 at 9:01 PM

Justin Braun will get a look see if not now then real soon. And lets see who else gets a sniff. And Jonathan Spector will experience a career revival in the Mid at Birmingham!

20. Posted by NoSix on 2011/08/02 at 11:02 PM

From MLS, players besides Donovan that I could see Klinsmann call up: George John, Omar Gonzalez, Chris Wondolowski, and Brek Shea. Real longshots: Brad Evans, Geoff Cameron, Zach Loyd or Tony Beltran.

• Posted by Texas 1836 on 2011/08/03 at 12:50 PM

I’d like to see more of Zach Loyd. When I’ve seen him, he’s been solid. Please no more Wondo.

21. Posted by jb on 2011/08/03 at 6:42 AM

I have to admit I’m really hoping for some significant differences in the lineup we see next week. Even if the roster is mostly the same (and I understand it will be, and probably should be). But if we trot out the same players in the same positions I will be very disappointed, even if that was the logical thing to do. I guess I’m willing to take a drubbing if that is what it takes to begin the experiments that could lead to a better team.

Also was curious about the role of Bradley Jr. Comments have been made about more of an “attacking role.” Does that mean more attacking from a centermidfield position? because I have big doubts about his playmaking. Or attacking as in a striker, because that is intriguing, given our lack of options there.

Cant help but be excited about what seems like a new beginning. Hope it works out.

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/03 at 12:06 PM

Probably more of a box-to-box role than a destroying role.

It’s funny–not pointing you out specifically for this–but people would be totally comfortable putting Stuart Holden in a playmaking position and be angry if Bradley did the same thing…but I believe Bradley had more assists for Monchengladbach in half a season than Holden had for Bolton. Just goes to show you how much biases affect our perceptions.

• Posted by Jared on 2011/08/03 at 12:38 PM

Or how little stats matter in soccer. Bradley and his assists were dumped by Gladbach because they thought they would be better off without him (and they were right). If you look at the seasons both had last year for those respective teams clearly Holden was far more important to Bolton than MB90 was for Gladbach.

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/03 at 12:44 PM

Yeah….but that’s a different question than whether or not either, both, or neither should be playmakers. The correct answer is “neither.”

• Posted by jb on 2011/08/03 at 2:25 PM

Agree about the biased perceptions, and the fact that neither Bradley or Holden is a natural “playmaker.” Unfortunately Holden has excelled at Bolton in the same role Bradley Jr. has played for our USMNT. Also unfortunate that our best four center midfielders seem to be of the defensive variety. I also think it’s been the lack of this “playmaker” type in the US system that causes us fans to try and label every new US attacker success story in this role. Here’s to hoping that our new coach can find something that works.

• Posted by Russell on 2011/08/03 at 2:40 PM

We will never know what Bradley would have done with a healthy Holden and MB90.. Although possibly the would have complemented each other. The USMNT MF question and possibilities is a quality tactical conversation.

Holden excelled last year due to his energy, his tackling and his runs forward. He maintained possession well but wasn’t really a temp or creative guy. Personally, assuming JFT is playing well, I would like to see them paired and MB in front of them as the center in the 3.

• Posted by BernieBernier on 2011/08/03 at 5:34 PM

Holden plays the same role with Bolton that Bradley plays for the US. People differentiate the two because Holden is better at passing and possession. As far as I can tell Holden is the CDM for Bolton. To look for him to be a CAM is unfair and will leave our team lacking a true CAM.

• Posted by dikranovich on 2011/08/03 at 5:51 PM

bernie, do you mind if people dont agree with your thoughts that holden is a better passer than michael bradley? junior is going to become a much better player under klinsmann without all the pressures of playing for daddy. its sort of like saying freddy adu is not good enough for the mens team because he did not stick at about four or five different middle of the road euro clubs.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/08/03 at 6:17 PM

Bolton typically play a version of 4-4-2, no? And Muamba plays the more defensive of the two central midfielders.

Bolton’s midfield will be interesting this season with the addition of Eagle and Reo-Coker. Their squad seems to be congested in the midfield.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/08/03 at 3:48 PM

The term “assist” is ambiguous. Not a great statistic in my opinion.

22. Posted by Alex on 2011/08/03 at 10:36 AM

So from what I’ve seen the annoucement for the roster has been pushed to tomorrow…

23. Posted by Gregorio on 2011/08/03 at 2:12 PM

The postponement gives us another day to carp about J Abhornstein!possibly being rescued again from the depths of Mordor.

24. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/08/03 at 3:49 PM

The next German-American to represent the USA? Klinsmann Jr!

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/03 at 3:58 PM

You joke…but I’m very angry Klinsmann’s son turned out to be a keeper. Certain proof that someone has a really cruel sense of humor.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/08/03 at 4:25 PM

I wonder if the US will “win” more penalties under Klinsmann?

Was outside the box, but you’ve got to Google his dive and theatrics vs. The Argies in the 1990 WC. Classic stuff.

25. Posted by Gregorio on 2011/08/03 at 9:42 PM

Eddie Johnson’s wife arrested after crashing her car with daughter inside into Eddie’s rented car outside Hampton Inn in Florida, she saw him with his arm around another female leaving hotel at 3am.
    Tragic! but whats the big deal, she should know that he came close but didn’t score!

26. Posted by Johninho on 2011/08/04 at 8:46 AM

Just saw it announced that Clarence Goodson is now back with the Nats for this match. Who had him? {crickets}