US Roster: Jurgen Klinsmann’s September Campers

Brek Shea flies again...

Wow.

First, no Michael Bradley–yup! But no Jermaine Jones either.

Some surprises for sure. Namely a Jeff Larentowicz call-in, no look-see for Brad Guzan and young Fabian Johnson taking a shot at being the next German-American star.

Just call them the German bookends for the next generation with Timothy Chandler and Johnson in camp.

Teal Bunbury finally gets some run as well.

GOALKEEPERS (2): Bill Hamid (D.C.United), Tim Howard (Everton)
DEFENDERS (9): Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Edgar Castillo (Club America), Timmy Chandler (FC Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Zach Loyd (FC Dallas), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Chivas USA), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls)
MIDFIELDERS (9): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Jeff Larentowicz (Colorado Rapids), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Jose Torres (Pachuca)

FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)

1. Posted by Jared on 2011/08/25 at 2:26 PM

I think you missed the big headline. No MB90.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/08/25 at 2:28 PM

I dropped that in above — obviously he’s not “core” like he was for Sweats — but no Jermaine Jones either.

• Posted by dikranovich on 2011/08/25 at 3:11 PM

if you are one opf the best players on the team, then you are a core player

2. Posted by rambo on 2011/08/25 at 2:28 PM

No MB90, JOnes or Clark do to club situation is what Klinsmann stated

3. Posted by dallen on 2011/08/25 at 2:28 PM

Notable exclusions (Jones, Bradley, Bedoya, Lichaj) hint at legitimate sensitivity to not playing and/or getting settled at a new club. No more lip service to getting consistent tick. JK seems to actually mean it.

• Posted by mbw on 2011/08/25 at 2:35 PM

Right on — what stands out is the exclusion of guys who are in settled club situations, e.g., Yelldell, Whitbread, Mixx, Herc.

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/25 at 2:44 PM

• Posted by mbw on 2011/08/25 at 2:50 PM

Ha — didn’t get a chance to see him on opening day, so I’ll take your word for it. Better to go with Orozco?

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/25 at 3:00 PM

Both inspire deep levels of “meh” in me. Really hoping George John:

a) makes it at Blackburn
            b) is a USMNT player.

And Tim Ream turns it around, and Omar Gonzalez magically gains the ability to move laterally, and I win the lottery.

• Posted by Jared on 2011/08/25 at 5:44 PM

I think we would have seen John if he wasn’t getting settled at a new club.

• “Whitbread is being excluded because he’s not any good. I’m not sure whether Whitbread is the white Onyewu or Onyewu is the black Whitbread.”

I’m not sure what you’re basing this resounding comparison too but I have to say that it is rather harsh. Onyewu has been one of the most dominant CBs to ever wear a US kit. Prior to his unfortunate injury, he was a MOUNTAIN in World Cup Qualifying and in the Confederations Cup. It was this that landed him at AC Milan. There isn’t another American CB that I can think of who can just move straight in to a club like Sporting without a trial first.

Obviously you want to leave no stone unturned, and Onyewu and Whitbread both I believe have legitimate futures with the USMNT.

I suggest you take these into consideration before you just label a player as “oh he’s just no good”. Especially one who is still dealing with a terrible injury, and the other who has never played a game for the United States. Just my two cents.

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/25 at 8:44 PM

I’m basing them on watching Whitbread during last season’s promotion playoffs when, generally, he looked slow and clumsy. (I’ve seen him since then, but that was the start.) That’s of course leaving aside his general unreliability because of injury. As to Onyewu–if you prefer to insert “currently” in front of Onyewu, feel free to do so, as Onyewu hasn’t really looked any good since his ACL tear. Sad, but true. A great career for him, but currently he’s not really playing at a high level, and I doubt he’ll recover it. It’s nearly been two years now, and if we were going to see the old Onyewu, we would’ve seen it now. Either of these gentlemen might play important roles in the future but that says more about the US’s lack of quality at the centerback position than it does any intrinsic quality they have.

Are these guys better than Goodson, Orozco, or Bocanegra? I don’t think much of Orozco, as you can see above. Goodson is pretty adequate, in general. Bocanegra is incredibly underrated by American fans, but since he was starting and performing well for a midtable Ligue 1 team, it doesn’t exactly strain the imagination that yes, he could play for an EPL team, if the label matters to you so much. Which it shouldn’t. There’s a lot of luck and inertia that goes into the label “EPL starter.”

Now, if we want to talk about sweeping judgments, let’s talk about yours. People are far too fond of taking labels–like “EPL starter”–and using that as a substitute for actual judgment about a player’s quality. Hey, we’re all busy and sometimes we need a heuristic to make a rough judgment about someone’s quality. That’s fair, but people fall in love with these kind of labels, as I think you are, and as I think is far too common among fans. I remember when Spector was starting for West Ham back in the day, people would say stuff about how he’s an EPL starter this and that, when in reality Spector wasn’t any good–at least, in the roles he was being asked to play for club and country. But people had the label attached to him–the Man United label was also really helpful for him–and let their heuristic become a hard judgment. That’s unwise.

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/25 at 8:49 PM

Excuse me–quick correction: saw him at the end of the season rather than promotion playoffs. My error.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/08/26 at 12:04 AM

DTH has a point.

I think Bocanegra is the most solid CB for the US – by far. But that is not something to be proud of. In fact, it highlights the lack of quality you have. The Gold Cup showed . He did a tremendous job sweeping up and marshalling the back four. But if you ask me if I think he is X standard, well that’s another story.

• Posted by Ufficio on 2011/08/26 at 3:18 AM

The other thing is that having a EU passport is huge advantage in even getting a chance at a look for an EPL club. It can matter a lot more than actual quality.

• Posted by Jared on 2011/08/26 at 4:42 AM

There is no chance that Onyewu will ever be a useful international defender again. He’s done because of his knee.

He was very good until that injury but now he can’t turn at all. Thanks for everything but it’s time to move on.

• Posted by dikranovich on 2011/08/26 at 6:04 AM

the thing i find funny about this conversation is that dth calls out someone for hyping an epl starter, then he goes and qualifies why he wants to see george john, because he has been aquired by an epl team. am i reading this situation right?10

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/26 at 9:42 AM

I’ve wanted to see George John well before he got transferred to Blackburn, dikranovich.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/08/26 at 7:03 PM

Connor Walsh,

“As far as Whitbread goes, I don’t see any other Yanks starting in an EPL squad. You’re basing your judgment on what exactly? Catch many Norwich matches do you? Hard to find over here those are. Would Goodson start an EPL squad? Would Bocanegra?? Would Orozco even make an EPL squad?”

People throw around the phrase “EPL starter” or “making and EPL squad” a lttle too loosely. They say things like that as if it automatically means the player in question is of unquestionable quality.

Eddie Johnson made an EPL squad. By the skin of his teeth, yes, but he did make one and did manage to hang around for a little while.

It’s not always about skill and talent. George John will make an EPL squad, and while I like him and am anxious to see how well he does, the transfer does not happen at this time if he does not have a Greek passport. Chad Marshall, for one, might have been in the EPL before John if his passport situation had been different.

I haven’t seen Whitbread play so I don’t have an opinion on him one way or the other but he is not yet of “proven EPL quality”. Whitbread starts for Norwich City. There is an excellent chance the Canaries will go right back down and then it will an open question as to how many of their players are of “EPL quality”.

In truth, the bottom third of the EPL ( especially the newly promoted sides) and the top third of the Championship, an underrated league in my view, are probably mostly equivalent. Certainly, they are in terms of notoriety. I bet you can’t name me more than one player for Swansea City, without looking them up.

My belief is that when people say “EPL Quality” they probably really mean “ EPL quality as defined primarily by the top ten clubs”.

• Posted by Brant on 2011/08/29 at 8:48 AM

Whitbread may not be the best CB in football, but as every one has said here we don’t have much to offer in that area, I am a Norwich City fan, its my grandmothers home town, So I try and watch as many of thier games as a can, if we had Boca and Onyewu from 2-3 years ago I wouldn’t expect Whitbread to even get a sniff, but with our current CB options I feel like he should at least get a run with the team, That said the real problem with him is he can’t stay healthy, amd if he was being consider for a call in this time he didn’t get one cause he is just back from a injury, in fact he only lasted 30 minutes against Chelsa cause he picked up a strain on the previous injury. Prior to getting injured though he was playing well against Chelsa, all that said I hope we get a look at him, John, and Omar sonner rather then later cause qualifing starts next summer.

• Posted by KickinNames... on 2011/08/29 at 9:37 AM

Wow. Don’t think “Conor Walsh” will be casually throwing around the term “EPL Quality” on here again any time soon. Nice work TSG Wolfpack!
              Glad we got that resolved….;<)

4. Posted by rambo on 2011/08/25 at 2:29 PM

Surprised not to see- Bedoya or Feilhaber. I can understand not calling in Gatt, Mix but both have been playing a lot lately.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/08/25 at 2:31 PM

Can understand Feilhaber — Klinsmann mandates two way players. Feilhaber offers no defense–Bradley just used to let that slide.

Bedoya, interesting. Can’t explain that one.

• Posted by Mingjai on 2011/08/25 at 2:34 PM

I’m surprised about Bedoya. Didn’t Rangers site say all three Yanks were getting the call?

• Posted by justin on 2011/08/25 at 10:11 PM

I wouldnt be surprised if klinsmann wanted him to get settled at rangers. Strange how he didn’t call in any scandinavian based players, unless you consider goodson, who was/is playing in europa league.

• Posted by rambo on 2011/08/25 at 2:40 PM

It’s not like Torres is killing it on defense either though. I just like the fact that Benny can make some nice passes. Will be interesting to see what happens when Stu comes back.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/08/26 at 7:11 PM

Matthewsf,

Bedoya hasn’t played a lot lately and is still settling in with Rangers. Boca played two big games for them right off the bat, so perhaps that rationale was not applied to him.

As for Benny he can play defense well enough. It’s way too early to say JK is writing anyone off and Benny is a pretty well proven quantity. He plays a position where JK has a lot of guys he may want to try out. I doubt Benny’s USMNT time is done.

5. Posted by mbw on 2011/08/25 at 2:30 PM

Revision: no 4-4-1-1; gotta go with the diamond midfield here:

Altidore Donovan

Kljestan
    Dempsey Chandler
    Beckerman

Johnson Boca Goodson ‘Dolo

Howard

• Posted by Union on 2011/08/25 at 2:56 PM

I could see that. I think Edu beats out Beckerman, or at least he should. I think Beckerman is a solid player that a coach trusts, but his upside is just so limited. And while he held his own, I think he really had a tough time keeping up with the pace against Mexico. I really would like to see what Shea can do in a full 90. I’ve always been wishy washy on him, but the Mexico game proved me wrong. Johnson as a left back makes sense, but hasn’t he been excelling out on the flank for Hoffenheim? Or at least in a defensive MF position. Whatever, if he’s the solution at left back, I’ll be happy. And is Chandler really a midfielder? I know he has some great crosses, but his strength seems to be right back. I guess you can’t take Dolo off the field though.

As for the selections themselves, like many I would have preferred Diskerud over Lartentowicz and Gatt over Bunbury. If Agudelo, at 18, can make the roster, I don’t see why the others can’t. But there is also the chance we are vastly overrating Diskerud and Gatt simply isn’t ready. I completely understand why John, Bradley, Adu, Lichaj, Jones and Herc were left off.

• Posted by mbw on 2011/08/25 at 3:26 PM

This might sound a little weird, but I don’t think there’s anyone else in the pool who plays the same position Beckerman does. Certainly not Bradley. I don’t get to see a ton of Edu, but I gather he’s more of a linking/box-to-box type — more like Holden than Beckerman. Jones is the closest, but he’s at his best when he has the freedom to go ball-hawking. Beckerman has already hit his ceiling, and has trouble making the jump from MLS to international competition, but he benefits from fitting the needs of the team at this particular moment.

Re: Chandler, his future is definitely at right back . . . but you see I have a soft spot in my heart for ‘Dolo, who I think is a truly great USMNT player, and can’t deal with the thought of succession at that position!

• Posted by justin on 2011/08/25 at 10:16 PM

chandler is a right back… but remember how awesome it was to watch him and lichaj blazing down the same right side in one of the friendlies last year. It’s too bad we won’t see that again till later this year probably. Once donovan slows down in a couple years and moves inside more our 4 best/fastest wingers will probably be shea/chandler/bedoya/gatt/rogers…. which is why I can see them on this list right now minus gatt.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/08/26 at 7:23 PM

mbw,

I remember the first time I saw Beckerman play for the USMNT.

I thought to myself “plays like Torsten Frings though not in his class”. I still get that feeling.

Beckerman may have exceeded his ceiling. However, the thing about a national team is, you often need consistent production NOW, not tomorrow. So you call in the guy who you know will do the job maybe over a guy who maybe has the potential to do a better job but may not be as consistent ( see Mo Edu).

The thing about Beckerman is that you pretty much get his 1000% every single time. He makes the most out of a modicum of talent. Remember Pablo Maestroeni?

The higher ceiling guys? Let them figure out how to do it consistently at their clubs , then bring them in, after they have proven they know how to do it at their clubs and you have some idea of whether you can trust them or not.

National teams need finished products; they have little time for developing players.

• Sacha at the top of the diamond? Really?

• Posted by mbw on 2011/08/25 at 6:15 PM

Yup.

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/25 at 6:59 PM

Let me second your “yup.” I used to be as down on Sacha as anyone, but since he’s moved to Anderlecht, he’s really impressed me with his grit (in getting better despite sometimes arbitrary treatment, and to seemingly earn a starting spot this year) and his ability to quicken his speed of play. He was very good at the Gold Cup, I thought, and was MOTM against Jamaica, in my opinion.

Sacha’s a poster boy for what we want for a player going abroad to fight it out in Europe. Bravo to him.

• Posted by Texas 1836 on 2011/08/25 at 11:04 PM

Sacha Kljestan is awesome. If you want your attack to die every time the ball finds his feet.

• Posted by Alex on 2011/08/27 at 2:09 AM

Have you watched him at all lately? He’s very solid at Anderlecht. Not surprised he’s here at all.

• Posted by justin on 2011/08/25 at 10:20 PM

I don’t know if I see sascha spearing the diamond. I almost see it as a three across with beckerman behind allowing the wings to get up ahead of him and having dempsey to drop back a bit. Kindof that deep lying playmaker that people want torres to be. But for now I rank Kljestan above Torres. But they’ll battle it out for that spot infront of beckerman, maybe edu also.

• Posted by KickinNames... on 2011/08/29 at 9:59 AM

Also, one other thing that’s missing from this formation…SPEED! That to me is the way to make up for lack of technical ability. Shea can bring it out wide and put Demps in the hole. Find a spot for Chandler.

• Posted by BernieBernier on 2011/08/25 at 7:13 PM

I really like Donovan up top where he doesn’t have defensive responsibilities. Also from there he can swap with Dempsey from time to time and keep the D guessing. That said, I don’t like Chandler in the MF (would rather Shea). Not sure if we will see Johnson in D.

I think we will see a 4-2-3-1 though.

• Posted by justin on 2011/08/25 at 10:21 PM

I think the midfield might be too loaded for Johnson to slide right in. I think we’ll see him first where he CAN play and were the spot is OPEN… LB

• Posted by Brant on 2011/08/29 at 8:52 AM

The only change I would make would be to push Dempsey into the CAM role and put Shea at LM, as he is a LM, too long we have played without a true LM, almost as long as we’ve been looking for a LB

6. Posted by dth on 2011/08/25 at 2:41 PM

Would’ve liked to see Diskerud, Gatt and Bedoya. Lichaj too, though his lack of playing time might make him iffy in Klinsmann’s eyes. Jeff Larentowicz sticks out, in a bad way. Good MLS player, not quite sure what the point is at the international level.

The big subtheme to this roster is speed, of course. Klinsmann clearly LUVS it. Here’s the speed lineup:

Howard; Castillo, Goodson, Bocanegra, Chandler; Beckerman, Kljestan; Shea, Dempsey, Donovan; Altidore.

Keep in mind I’m just suggesting a plausible lineup that maximizes speed on the field. While it’s not the actual preferred lineup for me, personally, I wouldn’t be shocked to see something like this on the field and would be intrigued to see how it performed.

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/25 at 2:47 PM

My favorite omission is Bobby Convey. I wouldn’t normally take joy in someone not being called in, but it’s clear from his public comments over the past few months that he really does think he’s one of the best twenty-three or so American players right now, and that Bradley wasn’t calling him in because he didn’t like him, which is delusional.

I also think it’s amusing that no one seems to be calling for Convey to be called up now, which is a sign to me that Bobby Convey, cause celebre, was more about hating Bob Bradley than actually liking Convey.

• Posted by Pancho on 2011/08/25 at 2:56 PM

If you’re going for speed, you have to have Rogers in there as well as Pearce from a CB position.

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2011/08/25 at 2:57 PM

Orozco for Goodson. Unless you think the latter is faster?….

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/25 at 2:58 PM

Probably should be clear that I mean speed at attacking positions.

Goodson’s pretty fast, actually.

• Posted by justin on 2011/08/25 at 5:07 PM

do you think gatt, mix, and bedoya not getting called in might be a reflection of jurgie’s opinion of scandinavian football and that maybe it doesn’t rank as high compared to the mis or mexican league?

• Posted by Martin on 2011/08/26 at 7:35 PM

No. Though Norway’s league is ranked pretty low by UEFA ( I think #26, pretty low).

JK has put out two rosters and managed one game.

Gatt is very young and needs more time at his club. Bedoya hasn’t played much lately what with his move. As for Mix, it seems to me Klinsmann is has a particular game plan in mind for these games and Mix and Adu (who seem to be playig the same role) may not fit this partcular game plan.

It’s way too early to be thinking JK is excluding anyone permanently.

7. Posted by Andy on 2011/08/25 at 2:42 PM

Is it me or is Klinsman showing a little more respect to the MLS than his predecessor?

• Posted by Paula on 2011/08/25 at 3:14 PM

No, it’s not just you.

OTOH: Loyd, Boon-boo-ree, Shea, (and obv Agudelo and Ream).

What does Hercules Gomez have to do to get frakking call-up?? (Yes, I know, new club … ) Will he ever get called again?

• Posted by Martin on 2011/08/26 at 7:37 PM

Paula,

I love Herculez but you said it yourself:

“But a couple of those guys are a bit on the older side to be the “developing talent” that Klinsmann keeps harping about. “

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/26 at 8:43 PM

Yes, this is why Klinsmann has called up noted youngins’ Kyle Beckerman, Jeff Larentowicz and Carlos Bocanegra. I hear they’re into Foursquare and sexting, though not necessarily at the same time.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/08/27 at 9:00 AM

You might have also pointed out that Buddle is 30.

JK has put out two rosters and managed one game.

It’s way too early and JK has far too many players left to look at to say anything definitive about the fact that Herculez hasn’t been called up yet.

8. Posted by Sam on 2011/08/25 at 2:53 PM

Anyone know the scoop on Johnson? Know he’s primarily an outside back, but not much else. Can anybody fill me in a little on his game?

9. Posted by Pancho on 2011/08/25 at 2:55 PM

Changes from Klinsmann’s first roster:
    Out: Bradley, Clark, Jones, Adu, Buddle, Beasley
    In: Lloyd, Dempsey, F. Johnson, Kljestan, Larentowicz

Chandler was called in the first time, then later replaced by Rogers if memory serves. While Ream & Pearce did not play but were called in previously (Ream not suiting up).

Lloyd is an anomoly for me. If he is a left back candidate he will sit back and let the right side run; while if Castillo starts the opposite might be true.

so what to make of the changes? Winners/Losers:
    WINNERS:
    The big winner is K. Beckerman, who may end up being the glue to Klinsy’s idea of a defensive stopper. Jones not getting a call up is more eye-opening than Bradley’s as Jone’s club team woes are not as bad as Jr’s. That Beckerman is on this roster and that neither Clark, Jones or Bradley are speaks volumes….(and I for sure do not see the same level of skill going forward coming from the back as any of those 3, but as well Beckerman may be the truest #6 of the 4…with Larentowicz a close second). I’m guessing that Larentowicz is coming for cover for Beckerman and will not see the field unless it is as Beck’s injury/card substitute. In time, it may be F. Johnson pulling the strings from the back, but I still see Jones eventually settling into this #6 role.

Pearce & Ream. That neither saw the field and both are called up tells me that Klinsy wanted a closer look, unlike Damarcus and Adu who either Klinsy was not impressed with or did not believe he needed to integrate with the ‘A’ team.

LOSERS
    Darmarcus/Adu No playing time for either the first time out, and no call up this time does not bode well for the immediate future.

• Posted by Union on 2011/08/25 at 3:01 PM

Disagree with Adu, agree on most everything else. Adu was called in, I think, as a political move by Jurgen bc A) the fans fell back in love with him and B) it was an important gesture to Freddy to show him that he was being rewarded for his play in the Gold Cup and that he was in the picture w/ the new coach. Adu just started with the Union, a team that is in the playoff hunt. As is the case with everyone except Boca (a proven veteran), Jurgen is just NOT calling in guys who have made recent changes to new clubs.

• Posted by justin on 2011/08/25 at 5:13 PM

I agree. I wouldn’t look to much into bedoya, adu, or john… and even m. bradley not getting called up. They are all becoming integrated or going to be with new teams. Especially mikie who will probably be in the first week with his new club when these friendlies are going on. I would even be surprised if bradley asked not to get called in knowing he’d be transfered in the last week of the transfer period.

10. Posted by Ufficio on 2011/08/25 at 3:36 PM

Is Castillo really tearing it up for Club America or something? I really don’t see what he’s done to merit another call-up.

• Posted by justin on 2011/08/25 at 5:17 PM

klinnsman knows that lichaj is good and probably better than castillo and fabio (fabian) Johnson will probably get the start at LB since he plays there sometimes with his club team in the bundesliga. Lichaj is still trying to nail down a spot on his club team or get a loan. At this point there is really no one after castillo with a left foot and i wouldn’t be surprised lloyd and him are battling it out for one of the last fullback positions in the pool, especially after the emergence of gatt this past summer

11. Posted by Shawn on 2011/08/25 at 3:36 PM

If Dempsey is going to be at the World Cup in 2014 (He’ll be 31 I think), I want to see him in a position that allows him to not worry as much about defensive responsibilities and time to create more chances. I also want Donovan to be able to be the focus of the attack. For the next two Friendlies, I would like to see this (based upon the current roster).

Altidore (Belgium is close to Holland. Can he light it up?)
    Dempsey

Donovan
    Shea Beckerman Chandler
    Boca Orozco/Pearce Goodson Dolo

I am putting the Left/Right mids that have experience in defense so that the balance on defense is there for Dempsey and Donovan to focus on attacking. Beckerman stays in front of the back to keep the middle channel shut down. In my opinion Beckerman is better at that position than Edu. Late 2nd Half, Dempsey moves even more forward with Donovan as partner; rogers or Kljestan replace Altidore. Edu Replaces Chandler or Shea depending on if we need to keep possession.

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2011/08/25 at 6:14 PM

31 really isn’t all that old…

• Posted by Shawn on 2011/08/25 at 7:24 PM

True, depending on injuries it isn’t. I still maintain I want Dempsey away from most defensive responsibilities not because he can’t defend, but because he can wear out on the wing against speedy opposition and not have anything left in the tank for his moments of brilliance.

• Posted by dikranovich on 2011/08/25 at 7:25 PM

antonio, 31 is old, and it is even more so if the player is coming off a long season and is looking to play in a summer tourny.

• Posted by John Henry on 2011/08/26 at 8:10 AM

Players 30+ at WC2010 who played in the quarter finals:
          Deigo Forlan
          Xavi
          Capdevilla
          Puyol
          van Bronckhorst
          Lucio
          Klose

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/08/26 at 8:15 AM

Harder for attackers — however there is the infamous case of Figo as well.

• Posted by Shawn on 2011/08/26 at 3:27 PM

None of those over 30 year old players were Left/Right Midfielders. I’ve seen older defenders and sometimes older forwards do well because of their experience at positioning. Xavi is Xavi – he passes so well he doesn’t even have to move.

• Posted by Alex on 2011/08/27 at 2:14 AM

Have you ever watched Xavi or Barca? The dude is moving all the time, pressing high up the pitch and providing a simple pass to teammates. And Gio was what, 35? And he was a LB who was constantly up and down that flank.

• Posted by Gregorio on 2011/08/26 at 8:38 AM

I’m laughing over here. 31 isn’t old. It depends on the player and how much wear and tear they got on them. Bocanegra was never a speed demon to begin with, him losing a step probably wouldn’t be noticed at CB as much as at LB.
          I guess the lack of speed really shows itself in defense when you really need it. This past week Patrice Evra who is no slouch speed wise was outrun by Aaron Lennon even with a few steps lead.
          I think some players are fast but its the initial break away speed (explosvieness) or close down space speed that really counts. LIke a base-stealer with a great first step as opposed to a fast guy who needs a few strides to reach his peak speed or who doesn;t know how to run th emost effecient or direct way/path. I think Bocanegra can outrun Jorge Posada but I have doubts about Onyewu.
          We can have sports celebrity races. Big Papi vs Emile Heskey, Rosie O’Donell in a slalom run with Michael Bradley.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/08/26 at 7:49 PM

dikranovich,

Every player is different.

Diego Forlan was 31 and Gio Van Bronkhorst was 35 this past World Cup, a pretty long tournament. Both played for semifinalists, and both did okay.

As for the position they play,the good players learn to adjust for their age. Roger Milla, Uwe Seeler,and Blanco did okay for 50 year old players.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/08/26 at 8:23 PM

Except keepers perhaps, players at 31, are [statistically] past their peak. But it is a huge statement to say that they are old. Plus it depends on what time of player you are, whether the speed element plays a big part of your game for example.

Regarding Bocanegra, the US doesn’t exactly play a high line, especially against “better” teams, so if he loses a step, it’s not as big of a deal as a CB. Plus his experience and decision making would probably more than make up for it vs. a faster but inexperienced Ream [for example].

• Posted by Gino on 2011/08/25 at 10:04 PM

Boca shouldn’t be playing LB anymore. 31 is old for a defender whose was never terribly fast anyway. He’s better suited for marshalling the defense as a CB. Meanwhile, Dempsey at 31 is conjecture. He may or may not still have a lot in the tank in three years time.

• Posted by justin on 2011/08/25 at 10:27 PM

I think it really depends on how players like agudelo and altidore are playing in 4 years. If we have to find a way to get all of our best players out on the field, duece and donovan may have to stay on the wings.

12. Posted by Matt Mathai on 2011/08/25 at 3:38 PM

I’m incredibly happy to see call ups go to players who are playing regularly. IMO failure to go with fitness and form was a major flaw in Bob Bradley’s strategy.

I think Bradley and Jones will be back once they get settled with clubs. If they don’t get playing time with their clubs, I’m not convinced they should get playing time w/ the USMNT.

The Johnson pick is intriguing

13. Posted by Travis McKil on 2011/08/25 at 5:07 PM

IMO
    Our Best
    Tim Howard
    Clint Dempsey
    Landon Donovan
    Jozy Altidore

Hype/Hope
    Edgar Castillo
    Heath Pearce
    Tim Ream
    Robbie Rogers
    Jose Torres
    Maurice Edu (Needs to impress at practice and be more of a leader imo, but then again I like Bradley in any big game.)

Happy to see
    Carlos Bocanegra
    Zack Loyd(1 Cap, 1 Man-of-Match)
    Steve Cherundolo
    Clarence Goodson
    Timmy Chandler
    Michael Orozco Fiscal
    Kyle Beckerman
    Sacha Kljestan
    Brek Shea
    Teal Bunbury
    Juan Agudelo

Ignorant of these players (If one pans out soon it would be a bonus)
    Bill Hamid
    Fabian Johnson

Don’t understand why everyone hates
    Kyle Beckerman

Wanted to see
    More players I didn’t know

• Posted by Shawn on 2011/08/25 at 7:35 PM

I agree about Beckerman, every time I watch him I wonder why Bob didnt include him all that much. He provides someone that can stay well positioned and helps our centerbacks breakup plays. I wonder how many less goals we would let in during open play that come through the middle, if he were there. Has anyone seen him live?

• Posted by justin on 2011/08/25 at 10:35 PM

As an RSL fan, I love to see Beckerman out there. He really is like an old school #6. But with morales out this year he has had to show more offense, and as we can see by RSL’s record, he hasn’t been able to do that enough. Beckerman is not an athletic freak but extremely smart in his decision making an marshaling infront of the back 4. If we just ask him to connect the back 4 to the midfield, then he can do that. If people expect him to rifle shots in from 35/40 yards out and pass around the field like xavi alonso they aren’t being fair to what he is brought in to do.

• Posted by Travis McKil on 2011/08/26 at 1:39 PM

I don’t watch enough MLS admittedly, but I have never really seen him play a bad game as a holding mid. His play during RSL’s cup run was epic and is probably the most interest that I have ever had in the league. I think that his fitness, positioning, and experience have warranted him a real chance; NOT whatever you want to call what Bob gave him. He has been punished for making a name for himself in the MLS in my opine. Even if he would have just played alongside Henry or Donovan I’m sure he would have received more caps.

Sprinting speed, shooting ability, and jumping ability are the negatives I can think of right now in his game. These are not very important to a #6 unless you are creating a player in a video game. I would really like to hear some responses from the people who don’t like him, am I missing something?

• Posted by Russell on 2011/08/26 at 3:26 PM

The posts above nail it pretty well, but just to add and clarify. INTL speaking – Beckerman is not fast, can’t jump that high and is not quick on the ball. Therefore in many situations he’s put into he will fail. However, if as mentioned, he’s put directly in front of the back 4 as a destroyer type and not relied on to do more. He might be ok. He might be ok if he can adapt to a quicker speed of play and play quicker on the ball. I think now is a perfect time for Klinsman to see if Beckerman can make this adjustment. And he is going to allow him a few reps to do it.. as he should to really make a decision.
        Plus if you’re playing speed all around him. Maybe his lack of is ok.

• Posted by Rian on 2011/08/26 at 3:38 PM

I’m not down on Beckerman because he is a bad player, I think he’s great at what he does. But the US doesn’t have the luxury of starting a guy in the MF who isn’t a threat offensively. Some teams do (its not like Mascherano is keep opposing defenders up at night), but the US doesn’t. Until we open up a more sustained attack up front (which we showed signs of doing in the 2nd half of the Mexico game), I just don’t see how a guy like Beckerman helps out.

• Posted by Travis McKil on 2011/08/26 at 4:18 PM

I personally think that our best goalscorers are Dempsey, Donovan, Altidore.

We have asked too much recently and historically defensively of Dempsey and Dovonan.

At this point in their careers they deserve to lay on the ground after they get fouled for an extra second. They deserve to not play as a defensive winger at this point in their careers and should be allowed some freedom against equal or superior opposition. We have guys like Beckerman, MB90, Holden, Jones, and Edu that can do the dirty work, let our experienced guys get the goals.

Thank you for your comment Rian; it helped me understand the other side, I really think that this boils down to whether you see us as an attacking team going forward or a defensive team. I personally don’t see the options up top right now so I’m sticking with a more midfield heavy team come Brasil. That’s why I believe we disagree on Beckerman helping out.

Has anyone ever called him MedUSA or MadUSA? Either seems quite fitting if he can sustain his spot.

• Posted by Travis McKil on 2011/08/26 at 3:56 PM

x2 but I would argue that he is quick but not fast.

As in, he doesn’t turn it over often while executing simple passes, which is one of the most important qualities in a point guard, I could care less what his vertical is or if he can dunk it (sorry I’m from tobacco road).

I guess “athleticism” is why I don’t like the speed argument either, if you have Onyewu and Robert Huth back there then ok I get it. But Bocanegra is wily and quick, Goodson is long and fast, no need for a sprinter from the next-to-last-line of defense, imo.

14. Posted by Crow on 2011/08/25 at 6:05 PM

Probably to everyone’s relief, I don’t really have a strong opinion on this roster. I’m willing to let Klinsy do his thing for awhile, before I’ll pass over any judgment.

I guess I’m jumping on the George John bandwagon, though. A little anxious about the possibility that he could play for Greece.

• Posted by justin on 2011/08/25 at 10:38 PM

I feel the same way. I think american fans have developed some type of complex since rossi. I think if Rossi would not have been such a success we would freak out every time someone could make a change. Cuz now we all think we could be loosing a “super star”

• Posted by Russell on 2011/08/26 at 3:30 PM

Rossi and Subotic aside. What’s the opinion on the German talent we are gaining lately vs the Mexican talent we are losing? I think we might be slightly ahead..?

Kinda makes you wish Klinsman was around when Subotic was making his choice. Subotic’s first choice after the his perceived ‘snub’ was Germany.. I bet Jurgen coulda righted that wrong in his eyes.

• Posted by Ufficio on 2011/08/27 at 8:30 AM

How about the Mexican-American talent we’re gaining vs the Mexican-American talent we’re losing? Torres, Castillo, Salgado and Ruelas vs. Ponce and (apparently) Corona?

I’ll take the former group (and I’m not exactly a fan of Castillo).

15. Posted by dude on 2011/08/25 at 6:25 PM

Howard
    Chandler, Goodson, Bocanegra, Johnson
    Edu, Torres
    Donovan, Dempsey, Shea
    Jozy

Klinsmann is clearly trying to establish a core before experimenting too much. It’s time to see Chandler and Johnson run. I’d like to see Edu rather than Beckerman (Brazil is in 2014, remember?). The four up top are in form, with Dempsey able to weave in and out and do unpredictable things. I want to see this at least once.

ps. People when Klejstan to start. What?

• Posted by Tabare on 2011/08/26 at 5:35 PM

I very much hope for a line up like this.

Not sure what that postscript says. But from where I sit, while they are different Torres is far superior to Kljestan.

(Kljestan has been doing reasonably well with his club of late. But as a composed passer of the ball, he’s wanting. And it’s very rare to see a player his age develop that much more. It’s one opinion…)

16. Posted by BernieBernier on 2011/08/25 at 6:46 PM

My thoughts:

GK – Hamid gets his chance to win the #2 role

DEF – A little surprised Castillo got a second chance so quick figured we would see Lichaj get a shot first. Ream back in the fold but not sure he is better than at GC, I am looking forward to another look at Orozco. Sort of indifferent as to Pearce and Loyd being on the team. I would have liked to see Mr. Blackburn but understand the timing not good.

MF – Edu, Klejsten, and Larentowicz get first looks under Klinsi. Nice to see Fabian Johnson come over to the US. A little surprised that Rogers and Torres getting another look before others get a first (Gatt, Mixx, Bedoya, Felihaber). Klinsi must have loved Beckerman as it looks like Beckerman and Edu will play in the two band.

F – Looking to see if Jozy stays hot or looks better or if he is just playing in a league without D.

I don’t think people should read too much into this selection as it is still just the second camp and he needs to see some players for a first time and may need to see more of some to figure things out. Not sure you should read anything into Torres being brought back in and Adu being left out.

• Posted by justin on 2011/08/25 at 10:46 PM

I bet jurgie starts Beckerman who will stay at home an not venture forward, then if we need that CDM to move forward more than edu will come in. I think Torres and Sacha are battling over the same spot in the middle of that box to box, distributor type.
      And I think fabian johnson will play wing back/LB with shea/rogers/donovan/dempsey/chandler all with the possiblity to play the wing, i just don’t know if there is room for him.

• Posted by BernieBernier on 2011/08/26 at 5:17 AM

I would say Beckerman definitely starts, the question is are we in a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2. In a 4-2-3-1 the US can have Beckerman and Edu in the 2 band. I think Klinsi needs to figure out a formation, last game he started in a 4-2-3-1 then switched to a 4-4-2 which is where we looked best (something that happened a lot under Bradley). I was hoping a 4-2-3-1 would work better without two destroyers but…

I hope Fabian can play LB but I am not certain of his defensive chops. I do hope he gets some time there over one of the two games. He does seem to play MF more often than not for his club team though.

• Posted by Jared on 2011/08/26 at 5:47 AM

Did the US switch to a 4-4-2 in the last game? I thought it was still a 4-2-3-1 just with better support because LD, Shea and Rogers were given more freedom and are actually attacking players. That allowed Torres to play as part of the 2 and distribute the ball as opposed to being a very narrow wide midfielder.

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2011/08/26 at 2:41 PM

I wasn’t at the game and it is hard to tell on TV but I assumed that when we had Shea come in for Jones that we were switching since Shea definitely wasn’t a D-Mid. I assumed Donovan slid to F (or withdrawn forward).

• Posted by Jared on 2011/08/27 at 4:26 AM

What happened then was that Torres slid into Jones spot in central midfield which is his more natural position. Shea played officially on the left but with Donovan let loose he, Donovan and Agudelo were all interchanging positions at one point Shea was the only US player in the center of the box with Agudelo wide left.

It was one of those formations that’s tough to judge because of the freedom given to the band of 3 in Shea, Donovan and Rogers. Which I think is great and it showed on dangerous it can be for players to be given free rein like that because the defenders don’t know who to mark.

• Posted by Texas 1836 on 2011/08/26 at 10:44 AM

How is AZ using Jo-Z?

Haven’t seen any of the matches, but I’m betting not as a target striker.

Seems like it might be wise to try to use him the same as the team that’s gotten so many goals out of him in so few games.

• Posted by justin on 2011/08/26 at 4:02 PM

They play a 4-3-3 with jozy as the middle target striker. He is mostly a middle “target” striker, but because he has such close support it is easier to go out wide and swap with one of the other strikers. So it isn’t a quite like target striker like he would play in a 4-5-1, although very similar.

17. Posted by Gregorio on 2011/08/25 at 7:44 PM

Interesting selection, but we shouldn’t read too much into it. I think Klinsman is still evaluating talent and mix/matching. So some of his omissions are due to reasons he cited and already knowing what he has. Although as the New Grand Puba he does need to connect with the players on a personal note which is his style. I am bit concerned about Deuce playing too much, with the EPL and Europa leagues, coupled with the GC over the summer, he’s racking up milage. He needs a rest, maybe just a half or so.
    I think Castillo gets another look to see if his performance last time were just jitters. Beckerman is a good steady player who knows his role and sticks to it. I think what Klinsmans thinks of Torres was evidenced by the big hug he gave him when coming off the last game. And I love the continued resurrection of Robbie Rogers, he just needed some hugs. The inclusion of Fabian J is good prospect too. (top league LB?)
    Overall I think that a message is being sent to many, he wants youth and people to fight for spots. MB will now have to bust his ass to get back in the picture, good for us if he does. and I like JJ but he is getting no time and getting older. Now if only Ream had Zack Lloyd’s stand-up defending acumen he’d be golden.

• Posted by Shawn on 2011/08/25 at 7:53 PM

“Reading into it” is our job as fans.

• Posted by Gregorio on 2011/08/25 at 9:36 PM

True! But everytime I read into things, I get in trouble (When she has The Face, don’t ask “honey what’s wrong?”)

18. Posted by dth on 2011/08/25 at 9:32 PM

Weird one that’s attracted basically no attention: Tristan Bowen to Europe, according to Chivas USA’s GM.

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/25 at 9:34 PM

If Bowen’s twitter is to be believed, “Belgium” is the destination. Think more US players should go there–they’re clearly good at development, and three years there gets you an EU passport.

• Posted by Gregorio on 2011/08/25 at 9:38 PM

Didn’t know that part about the EU passport, do other countries have similar provisions? Wonder if players ever think of that? probably not, more focus on the present.

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/25 at 9:50 PM

Belgium is the freest with it, but if you claim citizenship from a former Spanish colony, you can get Spanish citizenship after two years of residence (that was how Carlos Vela got his Spanish passport, allowing him to play with Arsenal). Don’t think there are any others. (Scandinavian countries have no restrictions for foreign players, but don’t hand out passports freely, which is too bad.)

Part of the issue may be that Belgium’s a pretty good level–they’re 13th in UEFA league coefficient, which means it’s a definite step up from MLS.

And while players might not think of it, their agents should. That’s their job.

19. Posted by Gino on 2011/08/25 at 10:50 PM

I wouldn’t be too surprised to see a North American contingent dominate the starting lineup against Costa Rica with more of the Europe based players starting against Belgium. Aside from the consideration of travel weariness, Costa Rica is likely a step down in class from a Belgian squad currently in second place in their Euro qualifying group. Based on JK’s roster, he could potentially field a team of strictly New World starters (not that he would) against a watered down Costa Rican side, then plug in the Old World players back in Brussels. All the while, he gets a better look at all the players during camp.

Who he starts on September 6th might be a better indicator of who he’s considering as core players for the future. My guess is that Boca and Cherundolo will start in Belgium despite being unlikely members of the team that could represent the US in Brazil, primarily because they currently give the Nats the best opportunity to field a competitive team or simply put, because they’re still the best at their respective positions.

20. Posted by Freegle on 2011/08/26 at 6:23 AM

The four letter piggy-backed an AP release to announce this roster AND listed every player as a goalkeeper. Plus, they didnt post until 10:25 PM, over 6 hourse after the annoncement . How can they say with a straight face that they care about soccer coverage? Shameful. I give up.

21. Posted by chazcar2 on 2011/08/26 at 6:43 AM

I think our best formation out of this group, and basically overall it a 4-3-3 version of the 4-2-3-1. Let me explain. The 4-2-3-1 is not really a formation. Its just a way to clarify who is playing more attacking and who is more defensive. There are two ways to form at 4-2-3-1. First from a 4-4-2: withdraw one striker press the wing midfielders. The second is to from a 4-3-3: withdraw the wing forwards and play midfielders back.

I see the 4-3-3 “total football” approach as allowing you to float in a few different “formations”. 4-1-4-1, 4-2-1-3, 2-3-2-3, 4-2-3-1 are all iterations. What I see from this squad is how important Beckerman is to the basis of the formation. Any true 4-3-3 needs a great defensive midfielder. Some one to win the ball and the make a good pass to the other midfielders. To me Bradley, Jones, and Edu are all basically the same type of player. Box to Box Free Midfielders. Not Pure DM, not great with the ball, not great distributors, but good at floating on the field, defending and attacking freely, picking up loose balls and cleaning up around both penalty areas. There is only room for at most ONE of them on the field if you play with a 4 man backline. With 4 men in the back you NEED the wingbacks to push forward. Which means that one Midfielder ALWAYS must cover the two centerbacks (essestially forming a 3-man back line). But Bradley, Jones and Edu are not the best player for that. Potentially Edu can become that player, but Bradley is clearly not (not that there is anything wrong with that, every team needs a roving midfielder too). Jones, to me, has a few problems, he wants to attack too deeply for a DM, is just getting too old, has modivational issues and is too much of a liability from a card standpoint.

So to my player picks:

3-5-2
      –Agudelo-Bunbury–
      Shea–Dempsey–Donavon
      —Edu–Beckermann—
      -Boca–Goodson–Dolo

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/08/26 at 8:43 AM

To me, the biggest difference between a “traditional” 4-5-1 and a 4-2-3-1 is not just a three band vs four band formation, but the defensive responsibilities of the wide players – it is greater with the 4-5-1.

Regarding 4-3-3s, I feel the biggest variation is that middle triangle; do you use a double pivot in front of the back four or a single one? Which basically means you morph into a 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1.

• Posted by dth on 2011/08/26 at 9:30 AM

well, there’s also the possibility of doing the destroyer-linker-creator triangle in midfield. Chelsea did that under Mourinho to great success and you could argue that’s Barcelona’s default formation.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/08/26 at 10:02 AM

Absolutely. I almost deleted my 4-3-3 comment as sometimes formation talk, especially without graphics, can be pointless as it can become difficult to explain exactly, and there are too many slight variations. But my comment also somewhat took into account the players on this squad…

22. Posted by Carlos on 2011/08/26 at 12:32 PM

I would like to hear people response to playing Shea & Chandler on the wings & playing Donavon & Demps as our Forwards. Torres & Edu can fill the middle with Edu taking the more defensive role. I know Altidore is in form right now but really is there much of a drop off with the above formation?

23. Posted by Shawn on 2011/08/26 at 3:20 PM

I definitely would like to see Shea/Chandler on the wings. Sense they have experience in defense and are also attack minded it would be interesting to see. Donavon and Demps up front, but with someone battle in the air – I guess Altidore because I don’t see anyone else. For Fulham, Dempsey looks great with Zamora up front, but I have seen him with Andy Johnson (kind of like Donovan) and he isn’t that great. Altidore reminds me of Zamora at times.

24. Posted by Union on 2011/08/26 at 3:51 PM

Random question: Why isn’t Sacha Kljestan ever discussed as a defensive mid? I know he is usually an attacking central MF or sometimes a winger for his club team. And I think he’s pretty much ALWAYS played those roles. But, watching him play, he seems a second too slow at the INTL level. Technically, he is very sound, but he never seems in sync with the speed of the international game. Being as though he still can distribute, he’s steady on the ball, and at 6’1, he’s got the size, why not use him as a defensive/holding MF? Am I missing something?

• Posted by justin on 2011/08/26 at 5:51 PM

if you look at the middle paragraph in chazcar2’s long post above he kindof explains it pretty well. You need a guy who can almost slot into the defensive back line and be a more advanced center back. This is what we thought Jermaine Jones could do, and actually what he does/did for his club team.

Kljestan is more of a distributor. Not necessarily a creator and not a destroyer. This is why I’d like to see him or Torres in the middle between someone like beckerman and adu. Where he can not only distribute to the attackers but also to the fullbacks flying up the wings. One thing I don’t like about people arguing for torres is that they argue about the type of player he is and not what he has produced for his team. For anderlecht this year Kljestan has look good and anderlecht has been getting results (anderlecht also has much better players than Pachucha).

• Posted by Izzy on 2011/08/26 at 6:05 PM

I don’t know that Kljestan is really a “distributor” per se. He does have a wide passing range, but his passing consistency isn’t always there. I honestly think this is because he’s committed to playing the ball that slices open the defense, and he’s fully capable of it too. A guy like Torres just tries to help his team get, and keep, a grip on the game through possession. I think his best games for the USA have come when he’s given full license to really drive at the back line. In the Sweden game, he was guarded by defensive midfield Ricardo Clark sitting deep, and in the Jamaica game, he had two defensive midfielders ( Bradley and Jones) holding ( until the second half when Jermaine Jones decided to get more involved). He was given freedom to roam and really used it well against Jamaica. He also seems pretty useful in a role on the left side of midfield, drifting inside and receiving the ball in central play-making positions, or receiving the ball wide left and then cutting inside onto his right ( see his goal against the LA Galaxy for Chivas back in 2008 ).

25. One thing I will say about the 4-2-3-1 is that other than the ridiculous goal by Mexico… the US held a solid Mexico team to a very limited amount of chances (minus Chicharita, DiNigris, and mostly Dos Santos).

I like this formation and in the end you can’t grade the US team on the Mexico game where they had Tuesday when the entire team was together and a walk through on Wednesday morning. Sure some players didn’t look amazing but considering the situation, our young talent came through and it was great.

I’m more concerned about the depth of this team rather than who didn’t get call ups. If we were to stay in the 4-2-3-1… its seems:
    G Howard, Hamid???, ???
    Who else should get looks at goalkeeper?

LB Castillo, Pearce, Lichaj, Fabian Johnson???
    Not too bad depth but all need to continue to work

CB Bocanegra, Ream, ???
    CB Goodson, Orozco-Fiscal, ???
    Really need more options as CB

RB Cherundolo, Chandler, Lloyd
    Need to more experience for Chandler/Lloyd

LM- Shea, Rogers (Dempsey, Donovan can player LM, CM, RM, CAM, CF)
    These two have talent and now should get the time to show it

CM- Stuart Holden, Torres, Edu
    Holden and Torres both play positions like this for their clubs

CM-Beckerman, Bradley, Larentowicz, Jones, Clark???
    Defensive CM while the other CM links up with the LM, RM, CAM/CF and F.

RM- Donovan, Dempsey, Klestjan???, Bedoya???
    Is Klestjan a player here or does he play inside with Holden/Torres?

CAM- Donovan, Dempsey, Adu???
    Donovan and Dempsey could shine here and Adu could shine there in the next 5+ years!

F-Altidore, Agudelo, Dempsey, Bunbury, Buddle
    Could we see in the not too distant future 2 forwards starting again with no CAM… anything is possible as long as the development of Agudelo, Bunbury continues.

We are in need of CBs to step up because are are we expecting Bocanegra to start the next WC as age 34? I’m sure he could but we need to develop more options there. Cherundolo will be 34 as well at next WC.

Please of Please stop starting 2 defensive CM likes Bradley, Jones, Clark or Edu together. I’m still not sure Edu is a creative type of CM rather a defensive CM that passes better than Clark and Jones and about equal with Bradley. 2 defensive CM kills any passing ability throught the midfield.

26. I could easily see Holden at RM as well.

27. According to RSL, Beckerman won’t be available for the Costa Rica game, though he will travel to Belgium. I thought a start for Beckerman was pretty likely, so that’s sort of thrown me for a loop.

Glad to see Orozco again – thought he did a solid, if unspectacular, job against Mexico. Surprised to see Castillo. Shea has a great chance to really cement his place in the senior team moving forward here.

No camp cupcake here – those two tickets I bought for the Costa Rica game are shaping up to be a great buy.

28. Posted by Josh on 2011/08/28 at 2:55 PM

Matthewsf, et al:

What about no Freddy Adu? He didn’t play v. Mexico several weeks ago, now he’s not even on this roster.

I attended the Gold Cup semi-final and final and then watched again via DVR: my decidely non-expert eyes were very impressed.

29. Posted by Mike on 2011/08/29 at 8:01 AM

No Brad Davis or Geoff Cameron?? I am hopeful they are on the radar, and that Klinsmann is letting these guys focus on club needs.