Orange Slices is our game day, catch-all post that we update throughout the day and also serves as the place for you to drop comments like, “I can’t believe Klinsmann started 12 midfielders from the Primera!”.
HDC is now Klinsmann country as the Jurgen era takes off in full steam for World Cup 2014.
Gone is Bob Bradley’s Clipboard replaced by Klinsmann’s, er, Dive Chart as the new US helmsman brings in a different set of rowers to power the ship.
Today it’s USA vs. Costa Rica just west of Boyz In The Hoodville. 8pm PT Home Depot Center, the US kick it off.
ESPN2 and ESPN3. Unknown for Spanish broadcast.
For those that voted against Orange Slices in the Twitter poll, I give you: Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Left-Right-Right-A-B-A-B
Around the web:
Carlisle: US To Attack From Opening Whistle (Carlisle – money)
• Weather: Carson conditions call for 65 and sunny for the day, with it being in the mid 60′s around game time. Pristine conditions for the US to score with a nice combination of Timmy Chandler to Landon Donovan.
• Surf: It is up!
How up you say? Enough to make a boat smuggling Mary J to the USA crash.
Enough to….make sharks head for the coastline!
476 recorded California spots on Wannasurf. 475 of them likely surfable today.
• Mission Accomplished: The Freddy Fund
A friend is taken from life too early and these guys rallied for a field in his honor.
Pouring a Gatorade out for you over here at the TSG Hall of Justice!
• The last time:
Yes, King Jonathan Bornstein of Honduras heading home the game-evening goal to put the US first in Hex. Uh, he won’t be attendance tonight.
• Quick hitters:
USA-COSTA RICA SERIES: ALL-TIME
- This match will mark the 29th meeting between the teams, tying Costa Rica with Canada for second place on the USA’s list of most matches played against CONCACAF opponents.
- The U.S. and Costa Rica are deadlocked at 11-11-6 in the all-time series.
- At home, the U.S. holds an 11-3-4 record in all competitions, including eight World Cup qualifiers (5-1-2), six Gold Cup matches (5-0-1) and four friendlies (1-2-1).
- The U.S. defeated Costa Rica 2-0 in the final of the 2002 Gold Cup.
- The Costa Ricans have outscored the U.S. 34 to 31 in the series.
- This is the first friendly between the teams since 1995, a 2-1 win for Costa Rica on May 28 in Tampa, Fla.
- Donovan and Bocanegra are the only two U.S. players on the roster with goals against Costa Rica. All three of Donovan’s have come in World Cup qualifying, while Bocanegra scored in the 3-2 win on July 26, 2003, in the third-place game of the 2003 Gold Cup.