9/11: You’ll Always Be New York, New York

For those that perished. For those that saved. And those that still grieve. Always to be remembered.

Everlasting skyline...

———-

1. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/09/09 at 8:11 AM

United we stand, brother.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/09/09 at 10:47 AM

The above will always be New York to me.

A positive–now–of 9/11 is that always gives folks a pause on perspective each year for what is truly important.

2. Posted by Antonio H. on 2011/09/09 at 9:05 AM

Hooah

3. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/09/09 at 10:29 AM

And to think Gudjonsen, Lampard and Terry were making fun of stranded American tourists at a Heathrow hotel bar is sick.

• Posted by Jared on 2011/09/09 at 10:53 AM

I always find it strange that Americans can still support Chelsea after those idiots behaved that way.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/09/09 at 11:03 AM

You don’t have to be American to be disgusted by their behaviour. Nothing surprises me about Terry, but if you listen to Lampard in interviews, he really comes across as a nice, normal, down to earth guy…

• Posted by Jared on 2011/09/09 at 11:16 AM

I completely agree. It just seems that more and more since then Chelsea jerseys have been showing up along with the more usual suspects and it bothers me that Americans who claim to be fans don’t know anything about the players they claim to be fans of.

• Posted by Crotalus on 2011/09/09 at 5:41 PM

I am an American Chelsea fan, pre- and post- 911, and I had never heard of this. Either way, what a complete non-issue. If you got rid of every friend that ever made a joke in poor taste (and drunk, given the apparent setting) you would have no friends. There are other players on Chelsea besides those three, well, two now, but you get what I mean. My favorite from those old days was always J.F. Hasselbaink anyway.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/09/11 at 6:05 AM

I never said people should not support Chelsea – you support the club, not the players. In their position, they should be held to a higher standard than a ‘regular friend’. Cannot believe you’re defending them. They were mocking the events going on and taunting [stranded] Americans [because of trans-Atlantic flight cancellations] in the bar watching the newswire laughing at what happened.

Today, I hope they reflect on how they behaved, especially because now they are Fathers and husbands themselves.

4. Posted by Jared on 2011/09/09 at 10:31 AM

I just moved to Jersey City and live right across the river from the World Trade Center area. It’s still so strange to look across and not see those towers.

I hope everyone has a safe weekend and God bless America.

5. Posted by kaya on 2011/09/10 at 12:24 AM

I forgot how tenuous our 02 WC qualification campaign was… and how it was such a joy for me to watch the finals that summer at improbable hours and feeling connected to the world in a much different way than the events that transpired the following spring would. What a long strange trip it’s been.
    Never forget.

6. Posted by Wixson on 2011/09/10 at 10:47 AM

You lost me at Billy Joel.