Poll: Does Klinsy Need A “W”?

"Look T-bone, I don't care if this is a knockout game or a friendly, you don't let this Hondo "B" team score. Are you receiving me?!)

(I’m sorry Google, I don’t care that you won’t pick up this page from TSG because the headline doesn’t have the right keywords. I appreciate the traffic you send TSG, but….moving on)

Easy enough question. You vote.

1. Posted by Jared on 2011/10/07 at 10:46 AM

The team needs to play well, create chances and get a couple of goals. Granted if that happens then they should win as well but I’m still more concerned with the way they play. I’ll worry about wins and losses when it matters. People in Germany freaked out when Klinsi’s boys weren’t winning all their friendlies leading up to the World Cup but they did well when it mattered.

2. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/10/07 at 11:26 AM

I think you need to picture the end goal** (or product), and as long as the team is making progress towards this, then that’s the main thing.

**a flexible, flowing system, with a double pivot (protecting the back four) behind an offensive four built around Clint Dempsey, that involves at lot of passing, movement off the ball and pace.

I would rather see this than a stiff and rigid team grind out a 1-0 win, scoring from an opposition error rather than US skill. Yes it would be nice to win, but sometimes these types of wins paper over the cracks. Need to think long term. Not sure Bradley was ever afforded this luxury as it seemed he was constantly being second guessed.

3. Posted by chazcar2 on 2011/10/07 at 12:37 PM

Flat out need to win. If we can’t win playing possesion against this team, then it pretty much means we just need to give that idea up. While I think possesion is a better way to play in general, if we can’t figure out a way to win in this situation then it pretty much means the team can’t play it.

So I guess by need, I mean that they need to win to justify the path we are on. It would be acceptable to go up by three and then make a bunch of subs and then draw.

4. Posted by Alex on 2011/10/07 at 2:15 PM

I think goals are pretty necessary at this point. As a long time fan who loves tactics, I can see the slight changes in the way the team plays. But when you’re trying to, lets say “advertise” the USMNT to neutral supporters, 0-0 draws while playing aesthetically pleasing soccer doesn’t really do that. Plus, who doesn’t like goals (especially from the run of play). And it is hard to keep smiling while losing. I’m going to channel inner Charlie Sheen and pray that our team starts to do some “winning”!

5. Posted by Damon on 2011/10/07 at 2:38 PM

I don’t get why anyone would think the team needs to win a meaningless preseason game.

6. Posted by EFG on 2011/10/07 at 4:03 PM

I think this will be an unpopular comment but here goes nothing. I think this is pretty close to a “must win” and no match can be dismissed as “meaningless.” Winning begets more winning and I think it’s important to start cultivating a winning mentality now with the players buying into the system and have confidence that it is producing the results than string out a bunch of 1-0 losses or low-scoring draws.

I know I’d feel much better as a supporter with a few victories heading into qualification next summer than to keep say “Oh, it’s fine. They’ll turn it on when it counts.”

• Posted by Jared on 2011/10/07 at 4:14 PM

I don’t feel concerned only because Concacaf is a joke in terms of qualifying. Just look at the past Gold Cup and how badly the US played at times and yet still made the final. It’s Mexico, USA and then everybody else.

7. Posted by Excellency on 2011/10/07 at 6:01 PM

I moved to Gainesville FL in 06. The U of Florida football team had a senior quarterback and a freshman called Tim Tebow. Right off the bat, the senior drove the ball down the field and coach Meyer let the freshman Tebow into the game when the ball got into the red zone and on 3 and 1 type situations. That team won the national championship.

In 2011 Mr. Muschamp (of Texas A&M) took over head coaching and Mr. Weiss (of Notre Dame and NE Patriots fame) took over as offensive coordinator. They had a senior quarterback, who had shown little in the previous year, and a freshman, Driskel, who was high school player of the year, all American yada yada, who is 6’4″ – 245 lbs and runs a 4.4 40yd dash. Florida plays two meaningless games against inferior competition at the beginning of the season. The freshman got virtually no snaps. Florida then played Tennessee and Ky. and the freshman got virtually no snaps. The margin of victory in those games, excluding Tennessee, was over 38 points in each game. Next game for the undefeated U of Fl team? No. 2 Alabama, at home in Florida, and the Senior gets knocked out at the end of the first half. The freshman comes in and ……..anyway, FL gets ripped a new one.

That was a week ago. Tomorrow Florida will meet LSU, ranked no. 1, at Baton Rouge and the senior is injured and the freshman will play.

How sorry are we now about not having this guy ready?

If we win tomorrow we would be challenging for a national championship. Yet, the freshman quarterback has not had any snaps, not even in meaningless games when he could have had a half worth of play in each since we won by over 39 points in 3 of 4 of those games.

One has to have the proper perspective appropriate to each situation.Like the Boy Scouts used to say “be prepared”.

• Posted by fellaini's_fro on 2011/10/07 at 6:35 PM

???????

Color me baffled, but what does your post have anything to do with the beautiful game?

I have been coming to this site for a few years now. Posting for less than a year and have always held this site in high regard because of the excellent articles and threads. While there are many differences of opinion, each one is well thought out and explained with a minimum if any deplorable behavior that goes on on other sports related sites behind the anonymity of the inter-toobz.

Having said that, why would you post anything that has to do with a regional college football game on a soccer related site?

• Posted by Gregorio on 2011/10/07 at 8:01 PM

Hey there is nothing more dangerous than a 39-0 lead iin a football game.
        And why is it called football when they use their hands!!!!

• Posted by Excellency on 2011/10/08 at 7:02 AM

I think it was because they used to score by dropping the ball and kicking it from all over the field like in rugby? b.t.w., do you know why they call futbol “the beautiful game”?

Speaking of football

hut,hut,hut – whistle !!! stop play, illegal procedure offence, 5 yards, reset, hut, hut, hut, noooo, purple flag, challenge, whistle, stop play, go to replay booth, let’s watch ten commercials, call on the field stands, line up, hut,hut, hut, whistle !!!! he didn’t get the play off in time, that’s the end of the quarter let’s pause here for commercials…….hut,hut,hut…..time out !!!! the quarteback didn’t like something he saw, let’s pause for commercials, we’ll be right back, hut hut hut hike, hands the ball to the fullback, gain of just under a yard, I don’t think he made it, let’s bring out the sticks………

• Posted by fellaini's_fro on 2011/10/08 at 9:03 AM

You guys are awesome. I played football up until college, coached it at the high school level, volunteer my time to coach in a youth at risk program and still follow the college game somewhat.

But Excellency’s take on it is spot on. Ever since falling in love with soccer/futbol I just don’t have the patience for it anymore. I can’t spend 3 1/2 – 4 hours of my life watching a game with an interruption every 10 seconds of play.

I wish I had taken up the game in my youth, but I do have the joy of watching my kids play and especially my daughter who is a high level club player.

Re-reading my post I might have come off as a d*ck, but having seen website after website succumb to inane commentary and deplorable behavior amongst site visitors I am hoping this off the topic commentary on the state of Florida football was an aberration. Or at the least offer something to the conversation and then say “Off topic.”

Then again, I am just a visitor myself who follows Everton because of an undersized Samoan by way of Australia player, a goal keeper with Tourette’s, and a Belgian whose floppy Fro is just too awesome for words.

• Posted by Gregorio on 2011/10/08 at 9:56 AM

I think that the inane comments are akin to a prank caller. They are only effective if they elicit a response.Same here, If we engage then they will continue. I also believe that there is a train for every passenger, meaning some comments on other sites, ex Yo Jozy Suxx. are potential soccer analyizers, and critiquers if given time. Some are ready to hear the message about the nuances and intricacy of the beautiful game that we here espouse. Some will take more time, and repeated exposure to educated fans, and some will never get it.
              If we role model what we want them to contribute to the discussion on the game, then eventually some will be taught and joing the flock. I have witnessed many conversions to the Beatiful Game by the most die hard fans of other sports who state, our game is for little boys, (insert barb here),etc… it might’ve taken some hot chick wearing skimpy soccer shorts screaming Cabezaso on Telemundo to lure them it but I am still hopeful!! Damn those girls contribute some great Ass-ets to the game, does anyone really care what they say?)
              Anyway back to our featured discussion about merits of getting a “W”

• Posted by Soccernst on 2011/10/07 at 9:28 PM

I’m thinking the point of all the Florida ink:
      This is the preseason. We need to be including our “freshmen” talent in the MNT mixer to get the ready to contribute when the time comes and it matters.

I’ll agree with that to an extent. I also agree with TSGs previous assessments that the farther north you get on the field, the less of a liability a young player. A 20yr old striker is far more common than a 20yr old defender at the WC. I think that is reflected in this roster.

Lastly, I’m looking for an improved ratio of aimless/panic ball to incisive possession. By my observation the longest sustained incisive possession has been about 30 mins. I think that’s about normal for any dominant team in one half. Two halves like that would be a success regardless of what happens in the other 15mins/half (we could certainly lose which would be a bummer). I’m guessing we get some goals here. 3-1 USA.

8. Posted by Ufficio on 2011/10/07 at 7:33 PM

Well, there isn’t a literal connection.

9. Posted by dikranovich on 2011/10/07 at 7:44 PM

usa must win against honduras and they must do it by more than a couple of goals. three nothing would be a most acceptable scoreline. if costly does not get any service he is pretty much useless. really it should be four or five nil tomorrow and we should be talking about how usa can dominate honduras at home. one point from three home games against top concacaf teams is not acceptable, and really four points is barely acceptable and only in hindsight.

10. […] According to our poll Friday, US fans favor the following today when the United States takes the field at Sun Life Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida to face-off with familiar CONCACAF foe Honduras: […]