Flash Poll: Van Persie, Messi, Silva: The Three Best Right Now?

Best?

Flash poll. Messi, David Silva, Ronaldo?

Who are the three best players in the world right now? Vote [add a candidate]; defend your answer in the comment section.

1. Posted by Patrick on 2011/12/12 at 5:17 AM

Old Quote from Pep (in playing days) to a young Xavi: You will retire me, but [Iniesta] will retire us both.

Until recently, I didn’t think he was there. Looking at him now, in the way he can both run the midfield and take on men 1-1, I’m starting to think Iniesta is better than Xavi, and he is only getting better.

RVP is ridiculous, and while I don’t think he stays on this list very long, with his form right now there isn’t a team in the world who wouldn’t want him.

2. Posted by Excellency on 2011/12/12 at 6:33 AM

Or, “which of the following is getting the most help at the moment?”

would be another way of phrasing the question.

Didn’t Forlan win Copa America? don’t see him on the list.

3. Posted by EFG on 2011/12/12 at 6:55 AM

Nice to see Cavani on the list as he’s been killing it in Serie A this season.

4. Can I just vote for Robin van Persie 3 times?

5. picked Tebow because comedy options must be picked

6. Posted by JGD on 2011/12/12 at 7:39 AM

Di Maria is driving the Real engine right now; he’s playing like a man possessed.

Nobody in world football is doing more with less than Van Persie. You have to imagine Arsenal would look like this year’s Indianapolis Colts without RVP up top.

Also, Tebow. I don’t vote against the will of God.

7. Posted by Bode on 2011/12/12 at 9:11 AM

Apparently you are only eligible to be one of the best players in the world if you play striker or attacking midfield!

That being said, you’d be hard pressed not to take Messi, Ronaldo, and *flavor of the month X*

For me, the third player behind those two would be Lucas Leiva.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/12/12 at 9:53 AM

Unfortunately he’s injured (on Lucas) — I thought about a host of defenders and goalie, but none of them struck me as game-changing as any players up there.

Certainly not Danny Alves. Mats hummels hasn’t been as dominating this campaign. Vidic was out — but hardly the difference for United this year. Tim Krul deserves a mention.

Who else?

• Posted by Bode on 2011/12/12 at 10:14 AM

Hope the comment didn’t come off as a criticism of TSG (love this site), it’s more just a thought about awards in general.

After posting the comment, I too tried to think of who my world class defenders/midfielders/fullbacks would be, but the ones I could think of play on the same teams as the great attacking players and get outshone by them (e.g. Dani Alves). I’m leaning towards a cyclical/generational lack of top defending talent (or a corresponding abundance of attacking talent — perhaps the concentration of money in the game to a few superclubs allows them to stockpile talent and blow teams away).

• Posted by matthewsf on 2011/12/12 at 10:28 AM

Not at all — wanted to find a DEF/G for some balance. had no idea who to consider that was that dominant.

Nature of the sport too.

• Posted by jwrandolph on 2011/12/12 at 8:36 PM

You just don’t see the best players staying at the back in todays game. If they show a lot of skill on the ball they get moved up to winger (bale) or midfield (phil jones) where they can be more useful in attack. But are any defenders good enough to be considered among the world’s elite this year?

Manuel Neuer? Iker Casillas? Pique? I think those guys are up there. And I know Vorm only plays for Swansea, but holy shit.

I only really watch the EPL, but as far as defenders go there have been very few that have been getting minutes, played consistently well, and stayed healthy. Even last year at this point you might could have put Ashley Cole on the “best 11″ list. But he’s not been up to par this year. I’d keep Pique and Alves in the top 20, but probably not top 10.

• Posted by John Henry on 2011/12/12 at 8:50 PM

I think it’s just a lot harder to recognize and quantify excellence in defending. But when you consider, for example, that the only games Barcelona lost (it may even be the only games they haven’t won!) in the last 2-3 years are games in which Puyol wasn’t on the pitch, then I think that’s a pretty strong indirect argument for him being on this list. And I don’t even like him or Barca… But he’s a monster. He basically neutered Ronaldo in the classic.

• Posted by JGD on 2011/12/12 at 10:33 AM

Krul is the best keeper in the EPL right now. But you’re right about there not being much in the way of defensive dominance this season.

For the record, I (and many) don’t consider Dani Alves a defender, more of a winger being slotted at back (so…wingback). His defense is suspect and made up for by great center backs in Mascherano and Puyol and defensive midfielder Pique.

This maybe a bit of a homer pick (soft spot for NUFC in my heart), but Steven Taylor was the best defender in England before his injury, in my opinion. We see what happens when he doesn’t play. Now, does that make him among the Top 3? Probably not.

Scott Parker has been quietly brilliant for Spurs so far. He and Modric are a devastating center-mid combo.

I’ll stick with Van Persie, Di Maria, and (Tebow aside), I’ll go with Cavani.

• yeah sorry budy Im a liverpool fan and lucas leiva is shite we’re better off with spearing in midfield

8. My vote goes to Messi, Ronaldo and Robbie Van Persie. There are good players beside them but at the moment not good enough to overcome them

9. This is kind of a different spin on this, but the player I would be most afraid to go up against one on one right might be Mario Balotelli. He is too much of a hot head to be consistent, and therefore one of the best in the world. Having said that when he is on I’m not sure how you could defend a man of his strength and ability.