Developing: Sebastien LeToux Vancouver-Bound?

LeToux: Not Bolton, VC-be?

Our friends over at The Brotherly Game have been all over this one.

The Philadelphia Union looking to deal–yes deal–perennial MVP candidate Sebastien Le Toux in the wake of Bolton taking a pass on bringing him across the pond.

Rumored destination? None other than the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Further, reports afoot suggest that the Union are attempting to make an out-and-out purchase of midfield component Roger Torres (part of the Luis Gil, Dilly Duka Super Mario triumvirate) from his Colombian side América de Cali by dealing both Le Toux and letting fellow Colombian keeper Faryd Mondragon return home.

As we asked earlier Monday, what in the world is up with the Union? Who is shuffling in and who is shuffling out?

1. Posted by dth on 2012/01/30 at 11:52 PM

Not only doesn’t this make sense from the Philly side, but I’m not sure how it makes sense from the Vancouver side. At forward, they’ve got Hassli/Mattocks/Salgado. They’d appear to be well-stocked at wing and attacking forward (heard somewhere they’re thinking of going 4-3-3.)

You know what would make the most sense? A place where a French-speaking player might have appeal. A place that’s notably low on actual scoring threats that aren’t suspiciously close to breaking down. A place called…Montreal. But then again I’m not sure Jesse Marsch wants to score goals.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2012/01/31 at 12:12 AM

First, no way LeToux is a March player.

2nd, nothing wrong with stockpiling attacking weapons.

As for the Union, something strange is in the water from last year’s Adu signing through this.

• Posted by dth on 2012/01/31 at 12:16 AM

If LeToux isn’t a Marsch player, that says more negative things about Marsch than it does Le Toux. Which is my point, I guess. I just don’t see how that team is going to score goals.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2012/01/31 at 12:22 AM

Agreed — says a lot more about Marsch. Surprised he even took Nyassi. Looks identical to the Bob Bradley playbook up there.

• Posted by dth on 2012/01/31 at 9:18 AM

That said, thinking about it more…jeez the Whitecaps could be nasty on the attack next year. Potential Chiumento/Le Toux/Hassli/Mattocks attacking quartet? PAIN.

2. Posted by crow on 2012/01/31 at 6:53 AM

Mondragon leaving is fine. MacMath was playing better at the end of the year than Mondragon. He is a better shot stopper at this point in their careers, and strangely the defensive positioning was better with MacMath before Mondragon came back. I am sad to see a classy player like him leave but MacMath is as bright of a prospect as Hamid and Johnson.

Le Toux leaving is not fine under any circumstances. Especially a trade in MLS. He is still the MVP in my eyes due to playing every minute at forward and not getting a yellow card, his work rate pressuring defenders tirelessly, and his offensive production. He is irreplaceable. And he’s not pulling a Dwight Howard- I heard he’s fighting to stay. I bet the idiot Nowak had his feelings hurt bc the players questioned his tactics in the playoffs and wants to ship Le Toux out as a power move.

• Posted by KickinNames... on 2012/01/31 at 5:49 PM

Crow-I’m surprised that you’re not more animated about this. This just makes no sense at all and really smells like a story is under hear somewhere. I like Roger Torres and all but shipping out Le Toux the heart and soul of the squad?
      Maybe Nowak’s plan is to get more time for Justin “One Speed/One Foot” Mapp by getting rid of that bum Le Toux. Really really odd.

• Posted by crow on 2012/01/31 at 7:44 PM

I guess you didn’t see my post under the muppet transfer day post. I’m devastated. le Toux was one of my favorite athletes ever. I cancelled my season ticket.

There is no logical explanation for the move other than a power trip by Nowak bc Le Toux said he was better at forward than midfield. Even one more year of Le Toux would have been worth whatever cash they got for him.

• I feel for you, it’s one thing to lose the face of a franchise due to another’s coach’s flawed logic, but for your own club to just ship him off in a trade within MLS for allocation money? Nowak has lost his mind.

• Posted by Crow on 2012/02/01 at 8:45 AM

Thanks for your kind words, especially because I know I wasn’t the nicest after the Houston loss.

3. Jay Demerit was striker back in the day. maybe they could also use him on the attack.