Welcome To The Big Time Terrence Boyd: The US Roster For Italy

The US roster to face Italy next week.

Cameron...moving up in the world...outta my way!

GOALKEEPERS (3) :Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7) :Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Michael Parkhurst (FC Nordsjaelland), Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City)

MIDFIELDERS (6) : Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Jose Torres (Pachuca), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim)

FORWARDS (5) :Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund), Edson Buddle (LA Galaxy), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)

1. I like.

Although I want to see Spector in the Midfield rather than the Defense…. but that is just me.

2. Is this the first runout for the entire A-team under Herr Coach?

• Posted by Eric on 2012/02/23 at 9:50 AM

Maybe not a completely full A team (Shea, Juan and a couple others with the U23s for instance) but still the closest we’ve probably seen under Herr Coach.

Not really a single true ‘winger’ on the roster besides Donovan. It’s either going to be a slightly unbalanced formation or we’re going to play fairly narrow. Donovan is really the only guy on the roster known for taking it to the endline and whipping in service after all.

• Posted by Byrdman on 2012/02/23 at 9:56 AM

I hope to see CD playing just under Jozy. I wonder if we will F. Johnson will play any at left back? Probably be Chandler and Cherondolo in the outside back positions, but I’m curios to see if FJ can cut it back there.

I would love to see Boyd play, just to see him play. I don’t think he is the next great, just curious to see him as well.

• Posted by dude on 2012/02/23 at 12:07 PM

Both Donovan and Johnson are nasty on the wings, but judging by the forward pool, I’m guessing a diamond formation with Bradley on the right flank (Slovenia). Meaning Buddle, Altidore, Boyd, and possibly Donovan are being looked at as pure forwards.

3. Posted by crow on 2012/02/23 at 9:57 AM

Can’t wait to see Boyd! I like this roster alot as well. I can see fabian Johnson on the wing opposite of landon.

4. Posted by Tyler on 2012/02/23 at 9:59 AM

Shea with the U-23s…who plays out wide on the left? Does this roster reveal any tactical ideas to anybody? Will Gooch ever return to the A squad? Or to A squad form? I miss the swagger we had in back during the good run at Confed Cup 2009. The sports that US kids play besides soccer should point us toward some dominant CBs like he was back then.

• Gooch just got injured again. 2 month recovery time, ruptured tendon/knee issues again. He probably would have been called up if not for that.

Also, my guess is heavily unbalanced with play flowing to the right.

5. Seriously, still no Sacha?

• Posted by Ed on 2012/02/23 at 10:31 AM

I’m baffled too. Anyone know if we’re limited to a set number of players for these games? I didn’t think so…

6. Posted by dth on 2012/02/23 at 10:18 AM

Yeah, no Sacha is disappointing. Not sure why Klinsmann is yanking Boyd from Olympic camp–didn’t he say he was giving Porter support for the Olympics? First you’ve got to qualify, buddy.

• Posted by Paul on 2012/02/23 at 5:13 PM

Yeah, odd that Sacha’s play doesn’t translate into a cap–he deserves it. Odd too for Boyd to be called up to the full nats, and not for Porter’s squad. Is this an attempt for Klinsi to work some magic and lure Boyd away from Germany?

• Posted by rambo on 2012/02/24 at 8:17 AM

I was thinking that Boyd was called up as this friendly is so close to Germany so why not see how he does with the A team. Maybe they made a deal with his team not to send him to the USA for the Mex friendly in order to make him available for qualifying

7. Posted by evan on 2012/02/23 at 10:24 AM

curious why Boyd is being picked over Wooten for both teams? and Wooten is two years older? or maybe Wooten will replace Boyd with the Olympic team?

8. Posted by Union on 2012/02/23 at 10:28 AM

I like the roster, aside from the glaring ommission of Sacha Kljestan. I also find it strange that Boyd is playing with the senior team instead of the U-23s, while Shea is playing with the U-23s instead of Boyd. Not saying I disagree with it at all, just saying that I can’t find any consistency in terms of Jurgen’s logic. Wasn’t Boyd called into the U-23 camp as well? What happened there? Weird.

That being said, as much as I’d like to see Fabian at left back, he and Landon are the only ones capable of playing wing on the roster. Given Landon’s form on the right with Everton, it seems hard to imagine that he won’t be out on the wing again. Personally, this is the lineup I expect to see:

D: Dolo, Boca, Goodson, Chandler

M: Landon, Jones (CDM), Torres (CAM), F. Johnson

F: Dempsey, Jozy

And the lineup I want to see:

D: ‘Dolo, Goodson, D. Williams, Chandler

M: Donovan, Bradley (CDM), Torres (CAM), F. Johnson

F: Dempsey, Boyd

Given WCQ is just around the corner, I think Jurgen is going to solidify a first team roster and not mess around too much. I’d love to see Fabian at left back and Timmy at right back, but there are literally no left wingers on the roster other than Fabian, so the spot is his until Shea comes back to the senior team. I doubt D. Williams will get a run at centerback, I’d just like to see what he can do. I also have no problem with Boyd starting, though I doubt it will happen. It seems clear to me that Boyd was brought in to provide competition to Jozy and to make the point that w/ Boyd close to the gameday 18 at a very good club, Jozy needs to prove himself worthy of a starting spot.

• Posted by mrmilanp on 2012/02/23 at 1:18 PM

The way I have been rationalizing this is that Jurgen doesn’t want to take either player (Shea or Boyd) away from his club for too long and send them across the Atlantic. In addition I think it is always good to have sprinklings of youth mixed in with veterans as well as vice versa, so the younger players can learn from the more experienced. I like Shea staying with the U 23’s to provide a leadership role, but Boyd’s inclusion is curious, unless perhpas Dortmund didn’t want him to leave becuase they intend to utilize him more soon?

• Posted by Excellency on 2012/02/24 at 10:11 AM

Why not Boyd at left wing?

• Posted by dth on 2012/02/24 at 10:59 AM

From the scouting reports I’ve heard, Boyd’s strictly a target striker kind of a guy.

9. FWAH JOSE TORRES!

That is my well-considered analysis.

10. Posted by 2tone on 2012/02/23 at 11:01 AM

For the last time Torres is not a CAM. He does not play CAM for Pachuca and he does not have the proper skill set to play CAM. Jose Torres is a Regista(deep lying playmaker/distributor.) More than liely you will see Dempsey utilized as a CAM. Actually I forsee a variation of the 4-3-3 with this squad with Donovan and Johnson on the wings, Dempsey as the CAM, Jozy as the CF, Torres as the #8, and either Jones or Bradley as the#6.

11. Posted by Berniebernier on 2012/02/23 at 11:27 AM

Confused as to Sasha’s absence… I get that Dempsey is the #10 and that Sasha is well behind him. That said, who exactly is Dempsey’s back up?

Think we will see

Howard
    Dolo – Boca – Goodson – Chandler
    Bradley – Williams
    Donovan – Dempsey – Fabian
    Jozy

Would like to see

Howard
    Dolo – Boca – Cameron – Fabian
    Bradley – Torres
    Chandler – Dempsey – Donovan
    Boyd (if only because I am curious)

• Posted by mathmatics on 2012/02/23 at 3:02 PM

Fabian Johnson might be able to back up Dempsey if needed. Otherwise Dempsey doesn’t have a backup. As in, nobody else, including Sacha, is capable of ably filling his role.

If Dempsey can’t play for some reason, we would need to change our system rather than trying to sub in an underwhelming like for like.

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2012/02/23 at 3:59 PM

I don’t disagree that Dempsey is incomparable to Sasha/Benny/other. That said if 20 minutes in Dempsey pulls a hamstring we can’t make two subs and switch formations. That is just not sound strategy. Someone needs to come in for him.

• Posted by Shawn on 2012/02/23 at 9:23 PM

I totally agree that Dempsey and Donovan need to be as close to each other on the field as possible. Also, I never have liked Goodson as our starting CB. He falls down way to easily for his size and isn’t that quick. He’s good in the air, but I would rather see Cameron, Parkhurst or even Spector at that position. Klinsi still hasn’t found a German-born U.S. CB yet? At this point projecting 2014 World Cup lineup, if Gooch isn’t 100% fit, we will be hurting at that position again.

12. Posted by Berniebernier on 2012/02/23 at 11:29 AM

Any chance we see a 4-4-2 diamond again with Buddle being brought?

• Posted by Union on 2012/02/23 at 11:48 AM

Actually..like this:

Would like to see

Howard
      Dolo – Boca – Cameron – Fabian
      Bradley – Torres
      Chandler – Dempsey – Donovan
      Boyd (if only because I am curious)

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2012/02/24 at 10:17 PM

I think Klinsy will start out with one striker and make a switch to 2 possibly in the second. Kind of like playing the away leg in the champions league IMO

13. Posted by dth on 2012/02/23 at 12:12 PM

OT, but Stuart Pearce has shown he already doesn’t know what he’s doing: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/23/stuart-pearce-england-squad-holland

Impressive. I figured he’d get the dead cat bounce versus Holland.

• Posted by dikranovich on 2012/02/23 at 12:43 PM

dth, psycho seems to understand that lampard and gerrard dont work together. this new manager has already made some shrewd moves. id say he has learned some things over the past couple of years that might put him in line to take control of england. maybe england comes together a little better without such a high profile figure coaching the team.

on the usa front, i think coach klinsmann is intigrating younger players into the full national team, without having them on the roster at the same time. we probably get a josh gatt sighting over the next couple of call ups. gyau cant be to far behind either.

im excited about the italy game, but i might be even more excited about the usa u/23 matchup against mexico, which will be played on the same day at 10 pm on univision. daily double next wed. fellas.

• Posted by dth on 2012/02/23 at 4:27 PM

bwahahahahaahahah.

Stuart Pearce is an awful coach. Anyone who’s seen their u-21 team last year can’t escape that conclusion.

• Posted by dikranovich on 2012/02/23 at 5:15 PM

dth, come on bro the england u21 team has 22 win and 5 losses under stuart pearce. ill let you recant your opinion if you like.

• Posted by dth on 2012/02/23 at 5:42 PM

No. Pearce ran up his record against minnows. At the actual tournament, they were a laughingstock despite a pretty good collection of talent. It’s fair to infer that the coach is the problem.

• Posted by dikranovich on 2012/02/23 at 6:46 PM

dth, dth, dth, my friend. you can still take back your opinion. england in their last u21, tied spain, tied the ukraine, and was winning 1-0 v czech rep. and gave up two extra time goals, second half extra time goals. pearce coached england at two other u21s and he made the semi finals and finals in those other two events.

“ran up his record against minnows” what, england plays in concacaf?

• Posted by dth on 2012/02/23 at 7:47 PM

Did you watch England? I did. They were awful. Ask an Englishman–he or she will confirm that they were awful.

• Posted by dikranovich on 2012/02/23 at 8:01 PM

i love how you use as your defense, the guardian. their sports blog tagline is opinion, conjecture, and other stuff. so you wanna go from minnows and embarassing semi final and final tournament outtings, to the voice of the english people themselves. where is george cross when we need him.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2012/02/23 at 11:00 PM

Pearce has a decent U21 tournament record, check the results DTH.
              Might not have the pedigree of Ramsey, Robson or Venables, but how can you put the boot in with the likes of Arena or Bradley? When an American manages a team to that level under that expectation and pressure, I might take your trolling more than that.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2012/02/23 at 11:03 PM

BTW I am semi retired from blogging / TSG.

• Posted by dth on 2012/02/23 at 11:15 PM

Well, we’ll see. I think it’ll get ugly at the Olympics. If I’m wrong, feel free to make fun of me in September 2012.

• Posted by Martin on 2012/02/25 at 12:43 PM

“i love how you use as your defense, the guardian. their sports blog tagline is opinion, conjecture, and other stuff.”

And TSG tagline is not the same thing?

More grist for the Pearce as England manager mill:

• Posted by dikranovich on 2012/02/26 at 12:23 AM

martin, you introduced such an intriguiing article and the comments section to go along with it. gosh, there are so many parallels to the usa situation, it almost blows my mind. there is so much recent history in here, with regards to our situation. live and learn.

• Posted by Martin on 2012/02/26 at 3:58 PM

dikranovich,

The biggest difference I see is that the situation around the US “old guard” is not as “toxic” as the situation around the England “old guard”.

This may be naive but , as best as I can tell , with the possible exception of Harkes we’ve never had anyone like John Terry or Ashley Cole ( I don’t quite understand why it seems the entire UK hates him) on the team. We don’t seem to have the sort of chasm between the star players and the new guys that seems to plague England.

The USMNT seems like they get on quite well with each other.

• Posted by dikranovich on 2012/02/23 at 11:34 PM

in fairness, the under/23 england team is not playing in this summers olympics. and there is plenty of other stuff to make fun of you over anyway.

14. Posted by Luke S on 2012/02/23 at 12:50 PM

4 2 3 1 (left to right): Howard; Chandler, Bocanegra, Goodson, Cherundolo; Jones, Bradley; Johnson, Dempsey, Donovan; Altidore.

and call me crazy, but we’re gonna get AT LEAST a point from this fixture.

15. Posted by Mike on 2012/02/23 at 1:02 PM

Way to go Cameron!! Good to see Boyd called up.

So this is a friendly vs Italy, but WCQ is basically here. Will Klinnsman make wholesale changes at half? It is Italy and you want to play them with your best. But what’s the point of calling up these younger guys if you are not going to let them play with the big boys before the big event?

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2012/02/23 at 4:21 PM

Will the MLS players (that were not loaned out) be match fit?

• Posted by dth on 2012/02/23 at 4:29 PM

Buddle just came over from Germany, so he’ll be practice-fit if not match-fit. Cameron just did camp cupcake; same for Rimando.

Don’t think it’ll be a huge issue.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2012/02/23 at 10:46 PM

Just giving you an out.
          How do you say spanked in Italian?

• Posted by dth on 2012/02/23 at 11:14 PM

Dunno, but it’ll probably be ugly.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2012/02/24 at 8:38 AM

In all seriousness, people have talked about starting XI and a little formation.

What about the actual set up (high defensive line?) and strategy? Shape with the ball and without the ball? Will there be a man for man marking job in midfield?How do people see this?

• Posted by dth on 2012/02/24 at 10:08 AM

I expect Klinsmann will try a high defensive line for at least some period of time–I would guess that’s one of his biggest priorities.

I would also expect the U.S. to attempt to play a more vertical (though not longballish) style when in possession.

• Posted by Crow on 2012/02/24 at 6:33 PM

Thinking 12-0 USA. If Holden was healthy 13-0.

16. Donovan – Dempsey – Fabian is a really good attacking midfield, will be interesting to see how Boyd does

17. Posted by Excellency on 2012/02/23 at 4:49 PM

———x——————-x——————x——————x———-

—————————————-Jones———————————-

—————–Bradley————————————–Fabian———

————————————–Dempsey———————————

—————–Donovan—————————-Whomever————-

18. Posted by Crow on 2012/02/23 at 6:40 PM

somewhat unrelated- kudos for dth for calling Kofi Sarkodie ahead of Sheannon Williams on the U-23 depth chart. That shocked me, and I can’t believe Williams didn’t even make the U-23 roster. I may be biased but I think Williams is the better player.

• Posted by dth on 2012/02/23 at 7:48 PM

I also think Williams is better than Sarkodie, though to be fair to Porter, Sarkodie has more familiarity with the way he wants to play.

• Posted by Eric on 2012/02/23 at 8:02 PM

I had a long debate about this with someone on Ives’ blog actually. I think Williams is the better player but their difference in ability isn’t so great that I’m completely shocked. Clearly Porter feels Sarkodie is a better fit for his 4-3-3 system and I don’t really feel like there’s a big enough difference between the two to raise a fit over it. Good call though dth.

• I can’t speak for or against williams, but Sarkodie seems like he would do well in a 4-3-3. He’s one of those defenders that you might like to see at right midfield, and maybe struggles defensively more than offensively.

• Posted by Crow on 2012/02/24 at 6:30 PM

It is a good point- I’m just rating Williams as a player overall. He is a typical 4-4-2 wingback. Strong one on one defender- heck he did a good job containing Cristiano Ronaldo; and very good at overlapping runs and sending a cross in. And great with throw ins. I guess I wasn’t even thinking of how he would fit in a 4-3-3.

But hey the more depth at wingback the better! I’m glad Sarkodie is doing well- he must be, because almost everyone I have heard from rates Williams very high, and thinks he can go to Europe soon. He was very impressive for the Union last year, I can’t wait for him to take it to the next level this year.

• That’s an interesting observation. The last time Kofi played for a Porter team (at Akron), the u23 boss was still using a 442, for what it’s worth.

19. Posted by dth on 2012/02/23 at 10:40 PM

OT, but interesting: apparently a poll shows the Galaxy as the sixth-most popular team in LA. Pretty impressive when you consider the competition.

20. Posted by Josh on 2012/02/24 at 12:35 PM

Assume this has been covered in other replies. But once again: flat-out thrilled JK is so inclusive of the Ger-mericans. Not necesarily for what it will produce now but value added down the road on a macro level. In other words: the more we’re involved with German football/ers the better it is for us.

21. Posted by CJ on 2012/02/24 at 6:18 PM

Anyone catch the USMNT U-23 Video on USSoccer.com? The video leaves off with a player I didn’t recognize taking a point blank power shot (8 yards?) at the keeper. At the U23 level where is the finishing touch? Do our players not realize that even when you’re exhausted at the end of practice using your head will get you goals more than closing your eyes, saying a prayer, and slamming the ball with your foot? Finesse?

My immediate reaction is, what would Messi do? In regards to difficulty (easiest choice first) and probability of scoring a goal… Inside foot – low, near post. low, far post. high, near post. high, far post. Or let’s just swing my leg wildly and hope for the best aka blast it right at the keeper’s naval.

Rage quit. haha rant over. Seriously though, I just don’t get it. Practice is where creativity is born, why isn’t it being emphasized and boneheaded plays discouraged.

On a happier note, I’m absolutely thrilled to see both games same day next week. =D

• Posted by Martin on 2012/02/25 at 3:21 PM

“Seriously though, I just don’t get it. Practice is where creativity is born, why isn’t it being emphasized and boneheaded plays discouraged.”

That is a litttle over the top. I’ve seen World Cup quality players have worse misses in real games.

Why do you assume the worst about the USMNT coaching staff?

How do you know that that particular player was not discouraged from doing that afterwards?

22. Posted by Jake on 2012/02/24 at 7:21 PM

I know this won’t happen but it would be fun to see as a 4-2-3-1

Altidore or Boyd

Dempsey – Torres – Donovan

Jones – Bradley

Johnson – Cameron – Williams – Chandler

Howard

23. Posted by Trent Hill on 2012/02/25 at 3:01 PM

D: Dolo, Boca, Parkhurst, Chandler

M: Landon, Bradley (DM), Williams (DM), F. Johnson

F: Dempsey, Jozy

24. I actually really want to see Dempsey either up top or as an attacking midfielder, based on his success with Fulham as of late. He’s been the man running the offense lately even though Donovan was the one I believe was tasked with this. I think either the 4-1-2-1-2 with Dempsey as CAM or the lone striker in a 4-3-3. I kind of want to see a 4-3-3 with Donovan-Jones-Torres CM and dempsey up top. No idea what to do with the wingers. Maybe try Chandler on the right and Fabian/Jozy on the left.

25. Posted by justin on 2012/02/26 at 1:20 AM

jermaine jones and jose torres…. both injured this past week (torres sat.)….
    Still a kick in the face if Sacha doesn’t get called in to replace one of them?

With both of them injured, it is easy to see bradley playing that defensive holding role.

The only other question is do we got with two up top (someone next to jozy, with dempsey playing CAM like against slovenia)
    Or two definsive mids (D. Will next to bradley I would think…. i think we have already scene what edu can bring)?

26. Posted by Alex on 2012/02/26 at 4:27 PM

Well Timothy Chandler is out hurt for two weeks as well. I feel like that really hurts us. After seeing the Italy roster it seems like the best way we’re gonna be able to hurt them is down the flanks. But now with Chandler out we’re a little stuck. Either put Johnson there which will not help our attack, or put Spector their which will not be good for our defense. I do hope that Jurgen calls up some replacements, like Beasley or maybe a longshot like Gatt (I mean, he did call up Boyd) but we seriously need at least one or two replacement players