Brek Shea & Sacha Kljestan Added To US Roster for Italy

Shea, back in effect...

U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann has added midfielder Sacha Kljestan and forward Brek Shea to the training camp roster ahead of the match against Italy on Feb. 29 in Genoa. Timmy Chandler (left hamstring strain), Landon Donovan (bronchitis), and Jose Torres (right hamstring strain) have all been forced to withdraw from the squad.

Further roster additions may be made Monday afternoon.Interesting….

1. Posted by Paul on 2012/02/26 at 9:14 PM

Glad for Sacha. Hope he can repeat his excellent work in Belgium for the Nats.

2. Posted by arisrules@gmail.com on 2012/02/26 at 10:07 PM

Jose Torres injured? SHOCKING.

3. Posted by MJ on 2012/02/26 at 10:29 PM

We just can’t seem to get a game with Donovan and Dempsey on the field at the same time, can we? [Cue gossip rag drama if this were any other country obsessed with football... *crickets*] Bummed about Chandler too. Drat!

4. Posted by Union on 2012/02/26 at 10:45 PM

This might put Fabian at left back, with Shea starting on the left wing. Can’t stand Donovan’s omissions. I guess if he is sick, you can’t say much. But still….

What kind of implications does this have on the U-23s? I’m assuming Boyd and Shea will get back to the U-23 camp pre qualifying, right?

5. Posted by justin on 2012/02/26 at 11:05 PM

I am kindof bummed about this… But no use crying over spilled milk. But I think Klinsi would bring in shea unless they plan in starting him. I bet fabian moves the right. And I would like to see D Will as a LB… He’s played everywhere on the back line for hoffenheim this year. And we’ve tried everyone else.

Here’s i think our two best attacking options
    4-1-3-2 (or some slight variation)….

Dolo- parkhurst/goodson- Boca- D. Will/Spector
    —————-Bradley————————
    Johnoson—–Sacha——–Shea
    ———Demps——-Jozy———

Alot of people are calling for fabian johnson to move back to left back, where he’s played for hoffenheim the past couple weeks. But he looked too good as a winger against slovenia. And he excelled as winger for hoffenheim back at the beginning of the year. Klinsi wants goals and I think he’ll have to put fabian there to get some.

if we go two holding mids you could put Williams or Edu as the other holding mid… or if we go diamond put Dempsy as the point and throw in Buddle as the second striker

6. If Johnson does get a look at left back, which I’m guessing he will since Chandler is out, AND Klinsi puts Shea at left wing as usual, we’re looking at a potential Johnson-Shea-Dempsey left side. I’m drooling.

Disappointed that Donovan won’t be there, though.

• I just slobbered all over my keyboard. This could be a whole lot of fun.

• Posted by PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo on 2012/02/27 at 1:17 PM

I don’t think this will happen, Shea does not work on defense like a Dempsey or Donovan…I don’t imagine that Coach Klinsmann will trot him out to fail, and don’t forget Shea has struggled as of late. This would not do his confidence well.
      Rather, I would see a Spector at LB behind Shea or Johnson, and maybe Deuce.
      It will be interesting to see where Dempsey lines up.

• Totally disagree that Shea doesn’t do the defensive work like Dempsey or Donovan. The past few friendlies, his work rate has been one of the few redeeming factors for his poor play offensively.

7. Posted by arisrules@gmail.com on 2012/02/27 at 6:41 AM

I think we should get used to not having donovan and dempsey both on the field. They are both getting pretty old. I hope not, but I hope Klinsi is prepared mentally for this.

Bradley better be on the field for 90 minutes. We’re a better team with him out there, easily.

• Posted by CJ on 2012/02/27 at 12:00 PM

Donovan and Dempsey’s health is not a concern nor should be for any manager with that duo. Having bronchitis near the end of winter is unlucky and can happen to anyone… especially an athlete who is pushing their lungs even at the onset of a cold.

As for Bradley I’m excited to see him play under Klinsmann too. Now that our team is more stable with a steady cast under Klinsmann I think bringing in one guy here and there won’t be as disruptive. Bradley under Sweats was a key factor but under Klinsmann we really don’t know how essential he really is. I would assume he will be a great addition as well but, I’m not ready to say he’s a 90 minute lock just yet. Our midfield really is congested with depth and formatiin options.

8. lichaj? since chandlers out… why not?

9. Posted by Ufficio on 2012/02/27 at 9:22 AM

Part of me wishes Shea and Boyd were still in the U-23 camp. It’s been awhile since we’ve gotten a win against Mexico and any (men’s) level, and it would be nice to have them helping the cause.

10. Posted by chazcar2 on 2012/02/27 at 12:11 PM

I am feeling a 4-3-1-2/4-3-3 formation

—Altidore——-Shea—
    ———Demspey———
    Johnson–Williams–Bradley
    Spector-Boca-Parkhurst-Dolo
    ———Howard————
    Or drop spector, move Johnson to LB, Shea to LM, Buddle comes in at striker

I know people say johnson and bradley are defensive, but i think they are more box to box. Give the midfield three good tacklers and let them advance. Shea, altidore and Dempsey can rotate or flatten out to a 4-3-3, Altidore comes central Shea goes wide right, Dempsey to the left.

• Posted by dth on 2012/02/27 at 12:21 PM

Spector at left back is a bad idea. Spector isn’t an international-level fullback.

• Posted by Alex on 2012/02/27 at 12:31 PM

Agreed with DTH. I think it’s inevitable that Johnson slots in at LB. Shame because he looked so promising at an attacking position. I think we’ll see a 4-2-3-1 of Howard; Cherundolo, Parkhurst, Bocanegra, Johnson; Bradley, Williams; Dempsey, Kljestan, Shea; Altidore

11. Posted by Excellency on 2012/02/27 at 12:45 PM

It looks like Klinsi is trying to figure out his left side. The abilities of Chandler and Shea are better than the results so far, I think, speaking of the offense only. How does Fabian fit in to the mix ? Now we have Chandler out which means Shea or Johnson could conceivably be auditioned at left back. My feeling is that Johnson’s cool on the ball is better utilized in the middle of the field and I don’t think we’ve seen enough of Brek in that position either. Williams doesn’t play best along the touch line chasing straight away speed. So who plays at left back? Our nemesis is back: The Phantom of the left back position.

12. Posted by Union on 2012/02/27 at 1:24 PM

I urge everyone to read an interview Yanks Abroad did with Jurgen. He does NOT seem happy with Jozy and alludes to some training issues with him at AZ. He also seems very high on Fabian (I’ve longed believed him to be a huge steal in so far as his potential impact on the USMT roster). Also, in terms of Boyd, Jurgen essentially points out that Boyd was brought in primarily to add some competition to the FW pool. He’s long spoke about a healthy national team needing healthy competition. And that no one’s position is safe. I’ve long thought that at times Jozy is too comfortable with his role and it results it sub par performances. So I’m all for Boyd being brought in to push Jozy.

• Posted by Martin on 2012/02/27 at 2:15 PM

If you are concerned about Jozy you should read what Earnie Stewart has to say about him.

Stewart made it very clear that they brought in Jozy as a “project”. The long term plan for their 4 year project is to try to get him to become an all around player not just a guy who scores goals, even though that is obviously vital.

Verbeek is a fine manager and his benching of Jozy shows he knows how to handle him. IfJozy is to reach his potential, I doubt that he could be in a bettter place than AZ.

13. Posted by Dylan on 2012/02/27 at 6:34 PM

I had heard around town that there was to be one more player brought in because of the injuries. Is that not happening?

Also on the Jozy front, I feel like he is progressing nicely. Jozy essentially won the starting forward position with his match in Tenn. with T&T. I believe that was 09. He won that spot. For me he won it against subpar players, (Ching). But he did win it. Until someone else preforms on the level he has, which to me of late has been very high, going all the way back to the WC. It will be my hope, and I’m sure of Jozy’s and Klinsi’s is that Jozy will be a top striker come 2014.