AVB (After Villa-Boas): The Next Chelsea Manager Will Be?

(Working on a piece we don’t want to rush….pairs with this question)

So much promise....

—-

Pairs nicely with: Nyen: The AVB Doomsday Syndrome (December 2010)

1. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2012/03/05 at 8:00 AM

If you believe all the media speculation regarding Mourinho leaving Real Madrid at the end of the season, then he has to be a real contender. Although last time, Abramovich didn’t like his pragmatic style.
    He’d love Guardiola but not sure he would want to part with Barcelona, but money talks.

Some of the choices on that list are too far fetched. If I was going to take a speculative punt, I would throw Klopp into the mix.

• Posted by dth on 2012/03/05 at 12:58 PM

Klopp is an excellent manager, but I don’t think so for two big reasons:
      1) his big ambition is to be German manager after Low hangs it up (presumably after 2014 World Cup)
      2) his pressing style would demand too much out of the Chelsea veterans. Also, he’s kind of a strange(ly wonderful) guy whom I can’t see meshing personality-wise with them.

Guardiola might do it because he always takes these one-year contracts with Barcelona and has always made noises about how what he’s done with Barca has a sell-by date.

• Posted by bmullis on 2012/03/05 at 1:54 PM

Honest question–do you have more info (link, etc) on point 1 about his ambition to be national manager?

• Posted by dth on 2012/03/05 at 7:37 PM

No–probably should’ve hedged it a bit more. Just what I’ve heard from German fans.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2012/03/05 at 5:48 PM

With Chelsea’s aging squad, don’t you think it will be in the manager’s remit to bring the average age down whilst remaining competitive? You make it sound as Klopp invented pressing.

Will be interesting how they do this with FFP lurking around the corner. I used to have a soft spot for Chelsea but now I do snigger when they fall apart.

• Posted by dth on 2012/03/05 at 7:39 PM

Not saying he invented pressing, but he really does insist upon it to a degree that’s almost unmatched by (most) European club sides I see. Barcelona probably is the only one that loves the high-pressure, constant-pressure style more.

And while the hypothetical next Chelsea manager will have the responsibility to bring down average age while maintaining performance, this was also theoretically AVB’s mission briefing, and we saw how that worked out.

• Posted by Jared on 2012/03/06 at 4:36 AM

The next manager will have an even tougher task bringing down the average age as the idiot players now feel they have the power to get any manager fired and the FFP is starting soon so the funds to completely rebuild are not there. Throw in the fact that Chelsea have been operating on a win now who cares about the future so there are very few young players ready to come through.

2. Chelsea and Abramovich, showing England how it’s done in Russia.

If Chelsea were a smarter club (like that one what’s run by a canny Scot), they would have sold John Terry to City for GBP40 million a couple seasons ago and sent the message to the dressing room that players are expendable. Problem solved at a stroke.

Instead it’s John Terry and the Chelsea Pensioners Club running things rather than the manager. So Roman should make it official and name John Terry as player-manager. At least the cancer will actually be removed when the new manager is cut loose after 8 months this time.

But, it’ll be Jose with his thumb upon his nose, rescuing Abramovich from himself by claiming total autonomy over football matters.

Can you imagine anything Jose would enjoy more than the owner that fired him begging him to come back and fix the club, making himself very rich in the process before finally winning the Champions League title with Chelsea, crowning himself Emperor of Football and riding off into the sunset?

3. Posted by Sean on 2012/03/05 at 11:53 AM

Gareth Southgate? Seriously?

4. Posted by SamT on 2012/03/05 at 12:39 PM

While it’s not a very constructive or mature reaction, I am pointing my finger in the general direction of Abramovich and laughing right now. Stupid rich man, time to look in the mirror, admit your mistakes, then move on.

5. Posted by JGD on 2012/03/05 at 12:47 PM

Dang, matthewsf really does like Dely Valdes (though I’m guessing the poll option is supposed to be Panamanian manager Julio, not his brother Jorge).

I have a hard time seeing Abramovich pulling the trigger on another young, “inexperienced” manager.

My vote: David Moyes.

6. All of this AVB/Abramovich/Chelsea stuff combined with the QPR: The Four Year Plan movie that came out has me imagining Roman as another Flavio screaming “He’s SH#%, sack him!”

7. Bruce Arena!

8. Posted by Eric on 2012/03/06 at 6:03 AM

Clearly, the best possible person for the job is Bob Bradley haha.

Seriously though, I would think someone like a David Moyes makes sense but I can’t really see him leaving Everton for Chelsea considering how much of himself he’s poured into that club. Especially since Moyes has often been the only thing keeping Everton relavent for the past few seasons.

I can’t see Jose going back to take the job after how he left in the first place. I don’t think his ego would allow it on either end.

9. Roman Abramovich. He’s going to coach the team himself because he’s smarter than all coaches. Ever. In the history of the world.

True story.

10. Posted by dude on 2012/03/06 at 5:44 PM

I have no real love for Chelsea, so I kind of want to wee Rafa take over. He’s incredibly entertaining, and win or lose, would be a sensational talking point.

For Chelsea’s sake, I hope it isn’t Mourinho. Jose creates teams in his image who bear loyalty to him even after he leaves. It’s time to find a different direction for the club; he’d be successful, but the cycle would repeat itself.

As for Pep, this is a setup for major disappointment. I can’t imagine him taking the job, given his preferred style of play and love of developing players. Neither of these come close to what he could expect at Barca.