Klinsmann’s Next Campers: This One Goes To Eleven!

Yankee skipper Jurgen Klinsmann announced a contingent of 16 primarily foreign players to attend US World Cup Qualifying camp on Tuesday.

Check your inbox Big Nasty…

Landon Donovan and Terrence Boyd saw fit to make their own announcements personally.

That puts 18 in bunk beds with 11 still waiting to receive an email.

Who are the eleven and how do they break down? Given the counts of goalies (3) and midfielders (8), obviously look for the bulk of those emails to defenders and forwards.

The educated guesses are:

G: [None]

DEF: Oguchi Onyewu, Michael Parkhurst, Geoff Cameron, Tim Ream, Eric Lichaj, Clarence Goodson (added)

MID: Mix Diskerud, DaMarcus Beasley

FW: Brek Shea, Jozy Altidore, Herculez Gomez, Chris Wondolowski

1. Posted by Piaggio on 2012/05/15 at 9:41 PM

I really like Mix, but I don’t think JK will be calling him, at least not this time around. Even if he doesn’t fit the system that well, I think Kljestan has a better chance of being called up.

Also, I’m not really sold on Wondo. Hercules Gomez is a much better poacher and he’s been tearing it up in a more competitive league, so I’d rather take Sapong or Andrew Wooten over him to complement the attack.

2. Posted by justin on 2012/05/15 at 10:07 PM

Matt, you did good predicting some of the outsiders that have been called in i.e. morales and corona, so i’m not going to doubt you on these. I would love to see geoff in there, because love his confidence with the ball at his feet

but i hope chris pontius scores a couple tomorrow night so, which might persuade klinsi to call him in as one of the winger/forwards along with someone like herc gomez

• Posted by matthewsf on 2012/05/15 at 10:37 PM

Geoff has had a spotty beginning of his campaign. Frankly, I think he’s a little bit unchallenged. he needs to move up a level in my opinion.

3. Posted by Yaznasty on 2012/05/15 at 10:11 PM

Eh, I don’t expect to see Mixx either. I know they don’t play the same position, but Pontius’s name has been tossed around a bit, and as a DC fan I’d like to see him get a shot. I wouldn’t be shocked if he didn’t make the final 23 though. Oh, and I just remembered, you haven’t included Goodson, and I would expect him to be in this camp for sure.

4. Posted by Chris on 2012/05/16 at 4:39 AM

I’m curious to know the meaning behind adding Mix’s name and then scratching through it. Not that it riles me or anything, I would just like to know what it represents.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2012/05/16 at 4:51 AM

I had had an oversight with Goodson’s name and Diskerud was my 11th guess.

he’s a bit negligent on defense currently and I can’t see him getting reps in the Dempsey role. So….

5. Posted by Crow on 2012/05/16 at 5:52 AM

…. But I had just ordered the new home and away kit…. with Chandler on the back of both!!!

Any updates on Josh Gatt (how did he finish out the year after his injury?)

• Posted by dth on 2012/05/16 at 7:22 AM

Goal and an assist last week (Norway’s a summer league like MLS). I’m hoping we see a level of play consistent with a Jan. 2013 or summer 2013 transfer. Don’t want to stay too long there.

• Posted by LandoCalrissovan on 2012/05/16 at 7:39 AM

NORWAY ISNT A REAL LEAGUE! SWITCH TO FIFA CALENDAR OR THEY WILL NEVER GET RESPECT! BRAZIL TOO!!!!1!

• Posted by Crow on 2012/05/16 at 8:35 AM

They were using him at RB for awhile right? With that much offensive talent I’d like to see him up the wing. I’ve seen some of his YouTube “highlight” videos.

• Posted by dth on 2012/05/16 at 9:00 AM

Yes, they were.

I suspect if Gatt were under professional coaching from early in his life, he’d end up being a barnstorming attacking right back. It might be a bit too late now.

6. Posted by LandoCalrissovan on 2012/05/16 at 6:44 AM

It’s kind of a shame, actually. Mix showed some real flashes in Olympic qualifying and he’s getting regular time one a good team in a good league (although, and I’ll get crucified for this, I think a stint in MLS might not be a terrible way to develop a little more physicality).

He may show up in similar spots as Dempsey on the pitch, but he’s an altogether different player, in my mind. Maybe somewhere midway between Adu and Dempsey?

7. Posted by rambo on 2012/05/16 at 7:56 AM

Not saying that Gatt should be called in, but with the Morales (hasn’t been playing lately) and Boyd (plays in lower leagues) getting called up do you think there could be a chance he gets called in? If not now, do you think if he continues to play well in Norway that he can expect a call up for the next set of games?

8. Posted by Union on 2012/05/16 at 10:10 AM

I’m with Matt in that Morales is a lot better than US fans give him credit for. I get that he had a few awful showings at Hertha (but when you are a young player playing for an awful team, you take on the form of your club), but he looked very strong on U-23s. He makes mistakes, but his skill on the ball is very high IMO. Not sure he is physical enough for DM/RB, but we’ll see. W/ Chandler out, he might be next in line to succeed ‘Dolo unless Lichaj beats him out. So I get why he was called in. (man i can’t get over the Chandler situation, I hope someone talks some sense into him). Point being, I get why Morales got the call.

As for Gatt, I find it hard to believe he gets the call given he’d leave the club for 4 weeks. I’d love to see it, but I find it hard to believe. I also am w/ DTH. I don’t know if he was groomed well enough for RB, probably best suited at RW. At least he has Landon’s pace.

• Posted by Piaggio on 2012/05/16 at 1:01 PM

The U-23 certainly could have used Morales in qualifying. He is better than Jeffrey at DM IMO.

9. Posted by lukesandblom on 2012/05/16 at 10:57 AM

i picked the same 11 guys. sounds about right

10. Not saying he should be called in but I don’t think there’s much more than Kenny Cooper could do to warrant another look.

I’d say your list is spot on. Having seen a lot of Cameron recently firsthand he’s been impressive, particularly in his distribution out of the back which has been a weak point for the USMNT in recent matches (and for a while really).

11. No longer room for Agudelo?

• Posted by matthewsf on 2012/05/18 at 11:26 AM

I think getting club playing time–esp. now at a new club–is infinitely more important.

12. Posted by Dave on 2012/05/18 at 5:40 PM

IMO calling in both Wondo and Gomez is too much of the same thing and a little to short sighted. Personally I’d call up either Mix, Gatt, or Adu in place of Wondo (leave him w/ his club and try him in the Jan Camp to see where he is in performance/progression). I’m also not a big fan of Beasley coming back…but can understand it a bit more than Wondo & Gomez. Otherwise your picks are in line with what I’d expect JK to do.