Jurgen Klinsmann’s Campers: Getting Close To Full Squad

The updated positional roster–additional and official–eleven names:

DEFENDERS (4): Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Oguchi Onyewu (Sporting Lisbon), Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland)
MIDFIELDERS (1): Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
FORWARDS (6): Juan Agudelo (Chivas USA), Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Herc Gomez against Turkey…

Twitter and other news reports out on Saturday suggested that there were two more additions to the US final preliminary roster set to be release sometime today. Those flown in today are apparently to include Herculez Gomez and Chris Wondolowksi

That would make the current roster look like this:

(Blue text means unconfirmed by US Soccer:)

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (4): Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Alfredo Morales (Hertha Berlin)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Jose Torres (Pachuca), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)
FORWARDS (1): Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund), Herculez Gomez (Santos Laguna), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

That leaves 9 players set for possible inclusion today. The best guess update:

G: [None]

DEF: Oguchi Onyewu, Michael Parkhurst, Geoff Cameron, Tim Ream, Eric Lichaj, Clarence Goodson

MID: DaMarcus Beasley

FW: Brek Shea, Jozy Altidore

The skinny: Might Brek Shea be dropped for this after his suspension and with it concern about how many games he may miss? Is DaMarcus Beasley surplus to requirements with the addition of Joe Corona? Are there one too many centerbacks now being called in?

Possible edition: Jonathan Spector.

1. Posted by lukesandblom on 2012/05/20 at 11:44 AM

you say herc is said to be flown in today? i’m assuming that means after that one game he’s playing today? a big one.

2. Posted by AG on 2012/05/20 at 12:01 PM

Here’s a bold prediction. Diskerud and/or Gyau will be selected.

3. Posted by Ufficio on 2012/05/20 at 1:17 PM

“Who needs wide players?” – Jurgen Klinsmann

• Posted by thedude on 2012/05/20 at 1:25 PM

ROSTER ADDITIONS BY POSITION
      MIDFIELDERS (1): Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

4. Posted by Freegle on 2012/05/20 at 1:44 PM

Wouldn’t want too many of our players that start in the EPL there huh, JK? Seems odd to bring guys like Morales and Castillo but leave Ream and Lichaj off the roster.

5. Posted by lukesandblom on 2012/05/20 at 1:50 PM

in case you find it easier to respond here than twitter:

do you think JK’s “7” role will be the same w/ LD back? i pray we see a more traditional 4 2 3 1 w/ 2 real wingers. what do you think about the traditional 4 2 3 1 and its effectiveness for the usmnt vs the formation we’ve seen JK use that essentially uses 1 winger??

• Posted by lukesandblom on 2012/05/20 at 1:54 PM

do you know if JK has used a similar unbalanced formation in previous coaching jobs?

• Posted by PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo on 2012/05/21 at 7:58 AM

The formation from the Atlantic Journal Article. http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/10/how-jurgen-klinsmann-coaches-the-us-mens-soccer-team/246474/

Tell me how that is not a 5-2-3? Any wonder the right side is begging for action, and we get too narrow?

• Posted by matthewsf on 2012/05/21 at 8:28 AM

Posted that article a few times here on TSG. Categorically not a 5-2-3 there. For one thing, it’s not to scale, Edu and Williams played much higher up the pitch that game.

I think Klinsmann protects the left-side by overloading it. he creates space on the right where his best defenders are and where Cherundolo can overlap. That’s where the width comes from; also Altidore making a corner flag run.

With Donovan there hopefully the US gets more offensive there.

6. Posted by Alex on 2012/05/20 at 2:13 PM

Leaving off Lichaj is a huge mistake he is easily our 2nd best RB available

• Posted by Ufficio on 2012/05/20 at 3:07 PM

…and he’s competently played left back at the international level and in the best league in the world.

Alright, I need to go do something to calm myself down before I post anymore.

• Posted by cpjuengel on 2012/05/20 at 5:54 PM

agreed

7. Posted by Alex on 2012/05/20 at 2:21 PM

And I don’t see what Zusi has done to out perform Kljestan, and what Agudelo has done to out perform someone like Pontius.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2012/05/20 at 2:24 PM

I think it’s Zusi’s speed of play. Just my opinion. Kljestan, IMO, (and good player) is a lot more reactive than Zusi. Zusi was playing passes *before* runs last time in camp.

My two cents on Agudelo/Shea?

Remember, training camp cuts come quickly. I think Wednesday or Thursday.

Either way, JK criticized Agudelo and Shea after the U-23’s for not stepping up.

My guess is Shea needs a break, is on a red, and is kind of in a funk right–hence no call in.

For Agudelo, I think the staff probably wants to give him a boost of confidence and see where he is in regards to his knee.

My two cents and all conjecture but seems Klinsmanic to me.

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2012/05/20 at 2:51 PM

Zuni and Sasha aren’t interchangeable. Zusi has shown to JK he can play outside as say a Landon understudy. Sasha is much more of an inside 7 competing with Paco Torres and Edu.

Also any thoughts that calling Morales and Boyd in has anything to do with helping their club situations.

• Posted by dth on 2012/05/20 at 3:08 PM

Don’t like calling up Agudelo here. Why not let him get settled in at Chivas and perform well there? Ultimately, his club career will determine the course of his national team career, not the other way around.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2012/05/20 at 3:20 PM

Agree — weird call-up. I think they are checking the knee out and giving him a boost.

8. Posted by Union on 2012/05/20 at 3:34 PM

Love the overreaction of fans/pundits alike. Some pundits swear by Sacha, some by Lichaj, and some by Ream. Everyone has a name that drives them nuts.

Anyways, my opinion on the camp roster, what I think the final roster will be and why Jurgen selected the names he did:

-I think this roster is kind of what we should come to expect under Jurgen. Not in terms of names as much, but in terms of how he balances (or doesn’t balance, based upon who you ask), politics and pragmatism. There are a few inclusions in here that smell of politics. And when I mean politics, I don’t mean that in a negative sense necessary. I think Agudelo was called in as a way to boost his confidence and I think Castillo was called in to show that he isn’t entirely out of the picture (even though he probably is). Neither of those can be considered overtly bad things. I also, despite the love of him on this site, don’t think Herc is a Jurgen guy. He is an example of Jurgen putting his money where his mouth his in terms of calling in guys who have performed well over the past year. But his game doesn’t impress me as much as it does others, and he doesn’t fit the role of striker that Jurgen seems to want. Ream and Lichaj were likely left off after playing regular EPL minutes for the first times in their career. Lichaj was also just coming off an injury. You have to think that played a role. Shea was left off for obvious reasons. He just hasn’t been in form and needs to get it together. Plus they have their attacking LW in Fabian. Sacha, I too am mystified by. I’m not a huge Sacha guy necessarily, he has never really shown he is deserving of regular caps when he gets into fixtures at the international level. But, I can’t stand Beckerman and I think Edu is overrated. I mean, how many defensive midfielders does Jurgen need? Beckerman, Edu, Williams, Jones, Bradley all play the same type of game (some: Bradley, better than others: Beckerman). I’d much prefer Adu (who is my biggest omission give what he can give a team off the bench), or Sacha. The rest of the team pretty much makes sense, though I’ve never been a big fan of Wondo.

-My 4 cuts are: Wondo, Beckerman, Cameron, Agudelo.
    I think JK is high on Boyd and wants to keep him around to push Jozy. I don’t think Wondo will beat out Herc, plus, after Herc’s season you have to think he has earned it. That leaves JK w/ 4 strikers, Boyd, Jozy, Gomez, Dempsey. I just don’t see Beckerman beating out Williams, Jones, Bradley, or Edu. So he’s out. Agudelo just got traded, plus he’s coming back from an injury. He needs to get himself into the starting lineup on a regular basis and finally has that chance; leaving Chivas for a month doesn’t make much sense. Cameron is off form and on the current roster seems to be 3rd on the depth chart no matter where you slot him. So i think he’s gone. I know thats 4 MLS guys though..so who knows.

-Obviously, 5 games to be played against a variety of opponents. So everyone will see time. But just for kicks..here is my A team lineup (presuming JK goes forward with his 4-3-3 that is actually a 4-4-2)

G: Howard

D: ‘Dolo —-Goodson—-Boca—-Parkhurst

DM: Jones———–
    Bradley——–

AM: Donovan————————-Fabian

———Dempsey—————
    ——————————Jozy———–

I could also see Morales/Williams slotting in for Jones. Maybe I’m crazy, but this is what I see.

9. Posted by Union on 2012/05/20 at 3:35 PM

oops. DM was supposed to look like this:

———————–Jones———-
    ——–Bradley———————–

10. Posted by cpjuengel on 2012/05/20 at 5:57 PM

lichaj was starting for aston villa at the end of the season? not sayin, just sayin. id love to see him get his next run of chances. i think it will come, but maybe not this year.

11. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2012/05/20 at 6:38 PM

Question: does anybody feel that Cooper deserved a call up? Would like to hear opinions.

And for the NYC folk: has anybody been to the AO Brooklyn Chapter pub? It is fairly near me and Mrs Cross and I are thinking of checking it out for the Scotland game next Saturday.

• I found out on Thursday that one of my fiancee’s friends is Kenny Cooper’s cousin. Random fact, unrelated to your question.

I’ve never been to the AO Brooklyn pub, but, as a member of AO (Los Angeles), I will fervently advocate for watching a game with AO.

Sorry for posting what is probably the least responsive reply possible to your comment.

• Posted by schmutzdeck on 2012/05/21 at 10:02 AM

You could have made a case for calling up Cooper but he has never been in a Klinsmann camp so leaving him off for now is not surprising. Klinsmann made a point about no experiments for this camp and you can argue calling up Cooper could qualify as an “experiment”.

Should KC continue to play this well I’m sure he’ll get a look at some point. If Agudelo, Wondo, Gomez and Boyd do well this go around that will make Cooper’s road tougher but if that happens, who would have thought competition at the forward position could possibly be this problematical for the US? .

• Posted by Jared on 2012/05/21 at 12:30 PM

Not experimenting in this camp when you’re bringing in guys over the roster cut off doesn’t make sense. It’s the perfect time for experimenting because you can bring in those guys without wasting a spot on a gameday 23. I just don’t understand Klinsi sometimes (like Lichaj not there and Castillo who has been terrible every time he’s suited up making it).

I would go with Wondo. He’s proven in MLS that he can do it at that level. Cooper is a little too hit or miss even in MLS. Either way Cooper or Wondo belong on the list behind Herc and Boyd (this time around just so he can get capped against Antigua and Barbuda and not pull a Timmy Chandler) so their chance of playing is slim.

• Posted by Crow on 2012/05/21 at 10:28 AM

I used to be a Kenny Cooper fan but I think he is just like Wondo- I guy that can produce in MLS but nowhere else.

I hope Gomez gets the looks over Wondolowski. He was terrible in the Gold Cup last year. Gomez has been effective in the limited time he has had with the National Team.

12. This quote from JK leaves me wondering about the possibility of two more guys being added to get to the 29 he mentioned last week, “We are excited now to get towards full numbers with the MLS guys and also the players from Europe who are coming in with great form”. I’m curious as to what the regular poster here think? Any chance we see a couple of guys added during the week?

13. Posted by KickinNames... on 2012/05/21 at 9:05 AM

Rather unsettling that Lichaj isn’t included in this lineup IMO. Kid has been very promising and his pace out wide can’t be reproduced especially with Chandler now MIA.

When is the Scotland match?

• Posted by matthewsf on 2012/05/21 at 9:29 AM

Saturday.

• Posted by Union on 2012/05/21 at 9:36 AM

I honestly believe Lichaj was left off for the same reasons Ream was left off. Hopefully someone will ask him when he gives his media avails.

• Posted by Crow on 2012/05/21 at 10:25 AM

I don’t think there is a logical answer to why Lichaj wasn’t invited. I don’t care if he wasn’t in camp yet. Is EDGAR CASTILLO going to play every minute at LB for the USA- friendlies and exhibitions. The only other guys who can play LB are Johnson and Bocanegra. And obviously there isn’t a whole lot of depth at RB.

With the lack of wide players in general I would not be surprised to see more Danny Williams at RW… sigh… How has he even been doing the 2nd half of the season?

• Posted by Union on 2012/05/21 at 10:57 AM

That’s not entirely true. Parkhurst can play LB and has been playing it for his club.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2012/05/21 at 11:00 AM

My two cents is that Klinsmann is really focusing on players knowing a specific role. Some exceptions of course, but…

Danny Williams has never played centrally.
          Beckerman has always played the holding role
          Parkhurst always the CB role
          Dempsey has never played as a lone forward.

Exceptions:
          Michael Bradley playing both box-to-box and holding
          Fabian Johnson playing LW and LB.
          Both–imo–were more out of necessity.

• Posted by KickinNames... on 2012/05/21 at 11:30 AM

But this is the “getting ready for qualifying” mode, right? At this point shouldn’t we be seeing your best 11 and then 5-7 others for evaluation? Again unless Lichaj is injured I just don’t see why he wouldn’t be in this group. It’s a bit unsettling…especially with Castillo taking on the new Bornstein role of WTF inclusion…

• Posted by matthewsf on 2012/05/21 at 11:35 AM

Right. Not sure Klinsmann considers Lichaj his best 11. As a note–and I dig on Lichaj–he’s very physical and categorically that type of game is not going to be the best one in the first 3 qualifies.

Lots of diving and lots of cards–esp. on the road for the US. Look at Geoff Cameron getting a card in a friendly back in January.

Lichaj fouls, a lot. Still a weakness to his game, by self-admission as well.

Again, I think he belongs, just attempting a shot t JK’s rationale.

• Posted by Union on 2012/05/21 at 11:53 AM

I understand that counterpoint. Seb Hines would be another example of someone who should probably be called in if we’re only talking about using the best player available approach to filling out a roster (and ignoring politics, personalities, etc.). And I agree that this is no longer time to experiment. Qualifying is big even against the “minnows”. So there is no doubt that JK is taking this camp seriously. He said in a Studio 90 interview that this is the longest the group will be together for until next summer. And obviously, the following summer is the Cup. So…the names in this camp are big. But as much as JK has been pretty stingy in terms of including certain players (Beckerman, Castillo) and leaving out others (Sacha, Adu), he doesn’t seem as concerned with consistency as we think. I think Lichaj worries fans because he has never been called in under JK, but this is also the first camp he has been healthy for. Tim Ream himself said that JK was giving him a bit of a breather, otherwise he deserved the call just as much as Lichaj. Who is to say that JK isn’t giving Lichaj a breather too?

• Posted by Jared on 2012/05/21 at 12:32 PM

Castillo makes Bornstein look good. I’d rather see Bornstein.

Lichaj may foul a lot but he was very good in the Gold Cup against the same bunch of divers/terrible refs that the US will be dealing with this time around.

• Posted by KickinNames... on 2012/05/21 at 2:18 PM

I appreciate the logic you’re using in the “Klinsi knows best about Lichaj” argument but if he’s not first 11 then he damn sure needs to be your next option off the bench.
              The fouling issues etc just don’t add up. He’s a tough, talented LB/RB with a good soccer brain and fantastic make up and attacking speed on the flank.
              Just doesnt’ make sense to leave him off for a breather or anything else. Dempsey played almost every match for Fulham and he’s in. Something just doesn’t vibe right with this…..

• Posted by dth on 2012/05/21 at 2:29 PM

Honestly, I just attribute it to Klinsmann filling his head-scratcher allotment. I think a lot of his stuff is good and makes sense, but he makes more than his fair share of WTF? decisions. (Bradley made bad decisions, but there was usually some understandable reasoning/logic behind them.)

• Posted by Jared on 2012/05/22 at 6:09 AM

I am a bit concerned that Klinsmann is playing politics with some of his roster selections. Zusi over Kljestan seems like a bone to MLS even if Zusi doesn’t stick past camp. Castillo over Lichaj and Corona over Kljestan seems like him going back to his previous comments about wanting to bring in Mexican Americans.

I am a little disappointed that it doesn’t seem like more has been done in terms of Seb Hines. Maybe it has behind the scenes and we haven’t heard but our central defense is not getting any younger (Boca) or less injury prone (Gooch) so the US should at least bring him in to test out his ability. After watching the U23’s this year it doesn’t seem like there are any players at that level even close to ready to make the step up.