Euro 2012: Group B, Game 2

No strangers — these two to battle again…

It’s Denmark on the up-and-up with a chance to–gasp–claim the group perhaps with a victory over Portugal, who desperately needs the victory to have a shot.

But the main event of course is Germany vs. The Netherlands. No strangers, this would be an emphatic statement by Germany here to knock out on their main rivals this early in the goings-on.

Enjoy the games, not the politics and enjoy our previews

1. Posted by Jared on 2012/06/13 at 8:43 AM

The late 80′s and early 90′s were a wasteland for soccer jerseys. Even the typically basic West German/German home white kit was ruined. That Dutch shirt looks like one of those pictures where if you stare at it long enough you see something lame like a sailboat.

• Posted by Nelson on 2012/06/13 at 3:14 PM

that’s pretty much indicative of fashion in general in those decades. I have to admit though, it’s pretty awesomely bad, like some arena rock song you know is terrible but you still sing.

2. Posted by Jared on 2012/06/13 at 8:54 AM

$150k fine for Russian federation for the violence on Friday at the stadium. Also threatened with 6 point deduction if this continues.

• Basically (from what I understand) the 6 point deduction is Suspended which means that if there is more fan trouble, Russia will then immediately be deducted 6 points from the next Euro Qualifying.

• Posted by Jared on 2012/06/13 at 9:01 AM

Why not take it away from them in this tournament if it takes place during the group stage? That way they would be prevented from advancing to the next round? Depending on their group next time they could still qualify even with the deduction.

• Posted by Jared on 2012/06/13 at 9:02 AM

One thing to add: Isn’t everyone excited to go to World Cup 2018 in Russia? Seems like there are 2 options now, either get beat up by thugs or get beat up by riot police in place to stop the thugs.

• I was making the comment yesterday.

2012 Euro Host – Crowd/Racial/Fighting problems
        2014 World Cup Host – Stadium/Financial/Transparency/Gang Problems (bus blew up today in Rio killing 5 and injuring 22)
        2018 World Cup Host – Potential Crowd/Racial/Fighting problems
        2022 World Cup Host – 120 degree heat/State sponsored discrimination problems

FIFA and UEFA everyone….. Good Times!

• Posted by Crow on 2012/06/13 at 10:16 AM

I know- I just missed going to my first World Cup in South Africa because I didn’t have enough money. Who would have thought that South Africa would be the most stable world cup in over a decade?

I thought that the USA or Australia would host 2022 so I might just wait until then. Decided to go with the AO tour to Brazil because I might never get to one- and am I a pretty adventurous person- I was just in East Africa for several weeks.

• Given the options I think Brazil is your best bet. The government will at least tacitly clean up the tourist parts of rio enough to make it stable. It doesn’t mean that there won’t be miles upon miles upon miles of corruption, but it will still be a good time.

Plus I am reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly trying to make this one, so if I do… I will buy you a beer, Crow!

• Posted by Crow on 2012/06/13 at 10:37 AM

Yeah I had written off Brazil when I heard the federation head saying he was expecting any traveler to spend $10,000 US, until I saw the AO package price which was very reasonable. I still feel sort of bad going knowing the corruption going on and how badly the country is being affected. Every one of those articles TSG publishes from that professor makes me feel bad.

We can buy each other a beer in 2014! Sounds lik a plan.

3. Posted by Crow on 2012/06/13 at 10:17 AM

The Danish defense in the early 2nd half looks like it is being controlled by a 13 year old kid playing FIFA 12.

4. Posted by Crow on 2012/06/13 at 10:38 AM

Cristiano Ronaldo missing all sorts of easy chances. And now Denmark makes them pay!!!

• Posted by Jared on 2012/06/13 at 10:40 AM

Ronaldo is killing Portugal with these misses. Say goodbye to the tournament Portugal.

5. The Nowak era has reached its endpoint… and there was much rejoicing.

6. Posted by Jared on 2012/06/13 at 12:25 PM

It looks like the Dutch are getting some karma delivered by the soccer gods for their awful style of play in World Cup 2010.

7. Posted by dth on 2012/06/13 at 12:25 PM

If Gomez is planning on finishing like this for the entire tournament, Germany are nigh unbeatable.

8. Posted by JGD on 2012/06/13 at 2:11 PM

Dutch still aren’t out of this tournament, surprisingly. A win by 2 against Portugal and a Germany win over Denmark sees them through.

9. Posted by dth on 2012/06/13 at 2:14 PM

I continue to be a bit mystified that Low is tolerating the level of play from Podolski and Mueller when he has other quality options on the bench to call on.

• Posted by JGD on 2012/06/13 at 4:01 PM

I’d like to see Gotze and Schurrle get playing time against Portugal. At wing or otherwise.

10. Posted by kaya on 2012/06/13 at 10:14 PM

I don’t see Netherlands beating Portugal. Marwijk has negligible authority over the ego mafia. The only thing that makes this group interesting is that Denmark still have a chance and Germany don’t need to care. I don’t see there being a Dutch pep talk to give them a meaningful contribution to ultimate standings.