Peter Nowak Out Of The Union

Press conference now. Peter Nowak steps down; John Hackworth named interim.

Philly takes a step in a different direction. First match? DC United at home this Saturday.

“And what GM again are you? Sure, take my midfielder” (courtesy: Philly Soccer Page)

1. Posted by dth on 2012/06/13 at 11:18 AM

Very unsure whether Hackworth makes it better or worse. Union probably need complete overhaul at front office level.

And then, depending on who gets hired, an overhaul at personnel level might be necessary too.

• Posted by Jared on 2012/06/13 at 11:54 AM

Seems like Philly screwed themselves by waiting so long on Nowak. He had a lot of time to make stupid moves that hurt the team.

• Posted by LandoCalrissovan on 2012/06/13 at 12:05 PM

Philly fan here. Hackworth doesn’t strike me as being particularly problematic. He may not be inspiring, but his limited stints at the helm lend the impression that he’s a generally pragmatic guy.

That said, Nick Sakiewicz’s tone and bald-faced lying about “eroding fan confidence” is really, really disheartening. One, because it was just a jackassed thing to do (he must know about the Nowak boos before games and the angry comments on the Union’s facebook page, Union-related media, and fan sites); and two, because it makes me wonder if he isn’t partially, if not largely, responsible for a lot of the crap that happened.

A lot still in the air.

• Posted by dth on 2012/06/13 at 12:13 PM

I suppose it depends on expectations. If your thinking is, “let’s just get out of this season” then Hackworth will be fine. Expecting him to do actual real-live coaching…basically, I suspect it means a wasted year for all of the young players on the team.

• Posted by LandoCalrissovan on 2012/06/13 at 12:22 PM

Oh agreed. I don’t expect him to be a world-beater and I’ll be shocked if we make an Open Cup run (although I have more confidence in him than Nowak simply because I don’t expect him to be as predictably irrational). But my point is that the FO as a whole deserves some major blame as well.

Whether it’s Hackworth or someone else, to get the Union back to full steam may be a 1.5-2 season rebuilding process to clear out a lot of deadwood and rebuild burned bridges with the fanbase. There’s almost a Rafa Benitez-level sense of crisis in Philadelphia right now.

2. Posted by Nelson on 2012/06/13 at 2:51 PM

oh happy day….when novak walked

3. Posted by dth on 2012/06/13 at 6:00 PM

So what team hires Harry Redknapp? He played in the U.S. during his playing days.

• Posted by Nelsonaoatl on 2012/06/13 at 6:30 PM

yeah, I’m a Spurs fan so now it’s not a happy day. although I don’t mind new direction, I feel Modric and Van der Vaart are likelier to leave. hope bale and assou-ekotto stay

• Posted by Jared on 2012/06/14 at 6:04 AM

I can’t picture Redknapp in MLS. Not enough wheeling and dealing to be done.

I would have thought a Spurs fan would be happy with him gone. He cost the team the Champions League last season by spending all of his time once Capello left campaigning for the England job.

4. Posted by Crow on 2012/06/14 at 6:13 AM

Of course I’m happy with Nowak finally leaving, but the damage has already been done. It’s a shame that Mwanga is gone now as well, although hopefully he can actually get some quality coaching and his confidence back in Portland. I wouldn’t mind cleaning house and getting rid of Hackworth and Sakiewicz as well.

I still hope the Union go after Porter despite the U-23 failure. He’s already worked with Okugo, McInerney, and Williams.

• I really hate to say it, but if Mwanga requires service through the middle and suffers from service from the wing…. well…. he is probably going to be just as frustrated at Portland as he was at Philly.

5. […] still from The Sporting News, the Guardian, SBI, Goal.com, SB Nation, ProSoccerTalk, Shin Guardian, WV Hooligan, the AP and the […]