MLS Doubleheader Doozy: Portland vs. Seattle, RBNY vs. DCU

Two fine matches today after victory is declared in the England-Italy Euro knockout.

Top’o’the table DC United travel just west of John Harkes’s homeland to take on the Red Bulls of NY.

Out west, it’s another MLS rivalry going down. Seattle caravans down to P-Town to take on the Chainsaws, who are about three poor games away from calling “Timber” on their season.

Since this one is being played just off Burnside, we go with our following video montages:

1. Posted by dth on 2012/06/24 at 4:46 PM

Brandon McDonald might be the single worst passer among regular players in the league.

2. Posted by Crow on 2012/06/24 at 4:56 PM

LOL, the Asian guy from TSG’s favorite Seattle video was visible front and center at the intro for the Seattle/Portland game

3. Posted by dth on 2012/06/24 at 5:36 PM

DC United really need Branko Boskovic to be playing the majority of minutes for them. Otherwise, they are too frenzied in possession.

I suspect DC’s best formation is something like a 4-1-4-1 with Kitchen, Boskovic, and De Rosario in the central three, Santos as the lone forward, and then two of Pontius, De Leon, Najar and Cruz.

The team also desperately need better play from their fullbacks. Robbie Russell lost all of it in the offseason, and they’re only serviceable at LB.

• Posted by dth on 2012/06/24 at 5:39 PM

NYRB has split DCU’s centerbacks far too often, especially on DC’s right side. Robbie Russell might top MLS’s Ol’ Yeller rankings. Here’s the Ol’ Yeller rankings:
      1) De Guzman
      2) Russell
      3) Jack Jewsbury
      4) Marquez

4. Posted by dth on 2012/06/24 at 5:47 PM

As good a build-up to goal as I’ve ever seen in MLS.

5. Posted by dth on 2012/06/24 at 6:15 PM

So, basically Ben Olsen has to make Brandon Boskovic a starter. He just makes the team so much better.

• Posted by narkid on 2012/06/25 at 7:47 AM

im not sure what your on about dth because even though dc united lost last night, they really dominated the game, even before boskovic came on in the 60th minute. this team is being built for multiple competitions and for the winning of these events. a win last night would have provided dc united with some nice separation, but they are making the playoffs this season and dc united is a team with its eye on the prize. you dont have to worry about that.

whats the big revelation about a dp needing to contribute more? the main thing will be that these players are ready to contribute when it really counts, that will be the tell tale sign. it was after all an ex dc united player that scored two goals for nyrb last night. in some ways i guess that hurt more than the loss itself, but i have always liked to see dc united players go on and do well, it speaks more highly of the organization, just not against said group.

• Posted by Crow on 2012/06/25 at 10:43 AM

I’m telling as many sports fans as I know to watch the Portland/Seattle replay to see what an atmosphere at a sporting event should be. I’m sure they will be talking about that in the papers in Brazil. I hope one day Philly and the rest of MLS can have an atmosphere like Portland. I don’t think there are many places in Europe that compare to it- maybe Dortmund and a few select others.

6. Posted by Crow on 2012/06/25 at 10:41 AM

I find it comical how far John Hackworth is trying to distance himself from Piotr Nowak. I love how he is continually stressing the need for stability in the starting lineup. Last summer I was in the comment section, every week ad nauseum, lamenting Nowak’s bizzare random lineup changes (no need considering the Union had no US Open or other games) and how they were hindering the team. Every time I read a post saying how Nowak deserved coach of the year consideration I was infuriated. The Union’s offense could never get in sync last year because there was always a different lineup on the field.

I think the Union are far from fixed but a solid game against DC United and the same group plays together again and drops 4 on KC. Granted the KC defense was horrific, but it is still promising. The Union had 8 goals in their first 12 games.

I still dont understand the Mwanga trade as it looks like Perlaza is going to sit on the bench. I guess the Union didn’t want to pay Mwanga since he has been ruined by Nowak.

Interesting side factor- Amobi Okugo at center D. I don’t know if he’s physical enough but his distribution would be amazing for American standards. I just want to see him on the field as I feel that Williams and Okugo definitely hava a future with the National team. It was also good to see McInerney get two poacher goals. He has a wicked shot but seems to have the natural talent to sniff out cheap goals.