USA vs. Jamaica: Live Commentary

(Note: Apologies we haven’t been able to get to the Orange Slices posts in awhile. We’ll get to it next week.)

June 16, 2001 – US battles Jamaica at The Office to a 0-0 draw. Steve Cherundolo featured that day. Here were the rest of the starters for the States:  …… 1-Kasey Keller; 6-David Regis, 12-Jeff Agoos, 16-Carlos Llamosa, 2-Steve Cherundolo; 14-Clint Armas, 10-Claudio Reyna (Capt.), 8-Earnie Stewart, 22-Tony Sanneh (11-Ante Razov, 79); 9-Joe-Max Moore (19-Jovan Kirovski, 58), 20-Brian McBride (17-John O’Brien, 69).

The USA heads to The Office in Jamaica tonight to fend off a World Cup qualifying challenge from the Reggae Boyz of Jamaica.

Kickoff is slated for 8:00PM ET (we think) and here’s your viewing information:

beIN SPORT is available on the following service providers:

• DIRECTV Channel 620 in HD
  • DISH Channel 408
  • Comcast Xfinity TV providers on a market-by-market basis

More coverage:

TSG’s Official USA vs. Jamaica Preview: Just Another Day At The Office?

Here’s some more background listening and reading in advance of the match-up:

♒ Jeff Carlisle will great insights into the decision to represent the US by Terrence Boyd

The MLS Analyst Matt Doyle & I disagree on Jamaica’s ability to possess the ball and break down the States on this week’s March To The Match

♒ Clint Dempsey gets candid on sweating out the transfer window in this SI interview.

♒ Will Parchman–who we’ve guilted into writing another retro diary on Tuesday–with a handful of things to look for in this qualifier.

TSG chats US Soccer media and Sean Johnson-Bill Hamid in this podcast with MLS Reserves.

1. Posted by Jared on 2012/09/07 at 1:20 PM

Every thing I’ve read regarding Comcast is that the only beIN channel available is the Spanish version which will be showing the Argentina game at that time. US game replayed at 11:30 tonight.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2012/09/07 at 1:32 PM

Asked the network via Twitter — awaiting reply.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2012/09/07 at 1:38 PM

Sonuva you’re right http://www.beinsport.tv/grid.html

Delayed on COMCAST WTF.

• Posted by Jared on 2012/09/07 at 1:43 PM

Believe me this is one time I wish I wasn’t. I guess in the end delayed is better than not at all but just more of the fail that is both Comcast and beIN’s entire launch.

The thing I really don’t get about it is why they wouldn’t have switched the programming up once it became clear that Comcast subscribers would only have the Spanish language version. Wouldn’t there be less complaints about delaying the Argentina game?

• Posted by Jared on 2012/09/07 at 4:35 PM

Got home from work and the guide has US v Jamaica live on my beIN. We’ll see.

2. Posted by crow on 2012/09/07 at 1:44 PM

Ok. So I talked to the sports bar again and they said they don’t have it. I asked to talk to the manager and said that they should have it since they have DirecTV. I said to check for channel 620. After checking they do have it. However their listing says argentina vs someone instead of USA vs Jamaica. I asked if it was the English version of beinsport and it is so I think their listing is wrong and they can indeed show the game. I’m nervous though. Lol.

3. Posted by Eric on 2012/09/07 at 1:58 PM

By the way guys, in your caption do you mean Chris Armas or Clint Mathis as #14?

4. Posted by Turd Ferguson on 2012/09/07 at 4:53 PM

How’s everybody doing with the search for beIN?

5. Posted by Andrew M. on 2012/09/07 at 4:58 PM

line up is quite different than what i was expecting

Parkhurst, Cameron, Goodson, Johnson
    Beckerman
    Jones, Edu
    Dempsey
    Gomez, Altidore

6. Posted by Gregorio on 2012/09/07 at 4:59 PM

anyone have a stream or site like fromsport? I’m watching Canada vs Panama on espndeportes

7. Posted by Gregorio on 2012/09/07 at 5:00 PM

Tell this much, I live in the Hudson Valley NY not many bars around here that would even carry soccer plus I don’t drink, got tired of waking up with supermodels!

8. Posted by Andrew M. on 2012/09/07 at 5:02 PM

I’m gonna try to stream it myself if anyone has justin tv. I’ll try to give you guys a link up here, if I can get it done.

9. Posted by Gregorio on 2012/09/07 at 5:05 PM

Got it, but boy a lot of empty seats, surprising. OH no its that ref wants to be the center of attention he jobbed us last time.

10. Posted by Andrew M. on 2012/09/07 at 5:07 PM

Howard with the armband. I don’t usually like it when keepers wear the armband, but this one doesn’t bother me at all. Dempsey isn’t really a leader, and there aren’t any other veterans starting.

11. Posted by Andrew M. on 2012/09/07 at 5:14 PM

36 seconds and dempsey has already scored!

12. Posted by Gregorio on 2012/09/07 at 5:17 PM

WOW, 39 secs, nice strength by Gomez to maintain possession and shoot, Dempsey cleans up!

13. Posted by Alex on 2012/09/07 at 5:32 PM

Ugly ugly ugly, Jamaica scores on a free kick 23rd minute

14. Watching the game on a 20 minute delay (kid’s bath and bedtime) and I must say I’m very disappointed that the steel drum band didn’t play our anthem…that’s always the best part of playing Jamaica in Kingston.

• Now I’m really wishing they’d have played our anthem with the steel drum band because it at least would’ve made 3 minutes of this match worth watching….

15. Posted by Gregorio on 2012/09/07 at 5:34 PM

lousy wall, 1-1, Edu looks sloppy, giving it away too easy.

16. Posted by Alex on 2012/09/07 at 5:37 PM

US is not being sharp in possession. Sloppy defending from our mids.

17. Posted by Ufficio on 2012/09/07 at 5:43 PM

I can’t tell which is worse: watching this US performance or listening to Balboa’s commentary.

• Posted by dth on 2012/09/07 at 5:49 PM

Balboa’s criticism that Jozy can’t play back to goal is bizarre. Jozy’s gotten, like, worlds better at this.

• Seriously, I would rather listen to John Harkes do play by play than Marcelo Balboa.

• Posted by Paul on 2012/09/07 at 9:30 PM

Phil Schoen + Balboa= reminder of the ugly days of US soccer coverage. Just as fugly as the game itself. Just loved all the reminders from both about how great the US was back when Balboa was playing. That’s right, Marcelo, the problem with Jozy tonight is that he was not enough like McBride.

18. Posted by Union on 2012/09/07 at 5:58 PM

I thought the US would have trouble. Again, they have a very weak player pool. Normally, the US has been able to overcome that by playing athletically gifted youngsters. Instead, we have resorted to playing older, more experienced guys – but players who are easily overwhelmed by the more athletic CONCACAF opposition. The entire…THE ENTIRE…6 players playing above the defense are all central players. You have 3 central forwards, and 3 defensive MFs. Gross. Wanna know whats worse? Who the hell do you play to give width outside of Shea. WE HAVE NO ONE!

19. Posted by chris on 2012/09/07 at 6:00 PM

Wow, really missing MB tonight.

20. Literally saw Jamaican midfielders turn and jog away from Beckerman when he has the ball. Everyone knows he can’t do anything with it that remotely resembles dangerous. Got to come off at half. Move Edu to DMid. That being said, I’m not sure who comes on to make a difference offensively.

21. Posted by dth on 2012/09/07 at 6:14 PM

This may be the first time I’ve ever heard a forward criticized for moving too much.

22. Posted by Alex on 2012/09/07 at 6:14 PM

Holy shit Jermaine….

23. Posted by dth on 2012/09/07 at 6:26 PM

Egads, Jermaine’s been awful. Feels like the inevitable CONCACAF send-off is…today.

24. Posted by dth on 2012/09/07 at 6:29 PM

You know, if you foul guys tons of times around the box…you’ll give up goals! All three goals in WCQ from free kicks.

Somewhere, Bob Bradley is shrugging and saying, “I gave you guys the blueprint.”

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2012/09/07 at 8:01 PM

Beckerman’s foul highlighted is positioning in the first place. Stupid stupid free kick to give away in that area. Yes, it was a lucky deflection, but these things happen.

Don’t get me started about Edu’s foul. Quality execution though. Said to my Mrs that it would take something tasty (or lucky) to beat Howard from there.

25. Posted by Ufficio on 2012/09/07 at 6:29 PM

Have we gotten the ball out of our end of the field this half? Maybe once?

26. Posted by Union on 2012/09/07 at 6:33 PM

I’m just going to say it now. The US is going to have trouble qualifying if their recent performances against CONCACAF are any indication.

27. Posted by dth on 2012/09/07 at 6:52 PM

Been saying for a while that width was an obvious problem. But did Klinsmann ever do anything about it? Noooooooo.

28. Posted by Ufficio on 2012/09/07 at 7:01 PM

It’s just excruciating watching this team right now. There’s nothing fun about it. They don’t do anything well.

29. Posted by Nate on 2012/09/07 at 7:03 PM

Well, winning in Columbus just became a necessity. This is absolute craziness. They just don’t have any kind of rhythm out there – no one is linking up. Feels like every ball is hopeful. Losing both Donovan and Bradley, two of our better passers really hurt us tonight.

30. Posted by dth on 2012/09/07 at 7:04 PM

How I imagine Sacha Kljestan’s night went:

1) He went after practice with his Anderlecht mates for some fine Belgian beers and some frites. Although he’s having a great time, he has to go to…

2) A romantic dinner with the wife. Many deep, intimate thoughts are exchanged. A fine wine is shared. The lamb is exquisite.

3) At one point, just between dinner and dessert, the waiter approaches. He says, “I have a message from your agent. The U.S. lost to Jamaica. It got dominated in the center of midfield. Could’ve used a good passer.” A wry smile passes on Kljestan’s face.

“Let’s add some aperitifs,” he suggests.

They do. The night proceeds from there.

• Posted by Turd Ferguson on 2012/09/07 at 7:25 PM

I’m not sure that SK is the answer, but the above is pure awesomeness!

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2012/09/07 at 8:08 PM

You forgot the mayonaise with fries. And digestifs are after dinner drinks!

Why on earth did he play Altidore & Gomez? Overmanned in midfield as a result. JK had effed up before but got away with it. Tonight was a bad day at the office.

But I will say, the refereeing was inconsistent and infuriating.

• Posted by mbw on 2012/09/07 at 8:25 PM

Agree 100%. I just don’t get it — seemed the epitome of tactical amateurishness.

• Posted by dth on 2012/09/07 at 8:51 PM

Agree about the Altidore and Gomez comment. Well, I agree with setting them up the way they did–I’m still kind of surprised what I saw Klinsmann trying out in practice back in Washington before the Brazil friendly (Altidore leading the line, Gomez cutting in from wide) hasn’t been tried out yet.

Anyway, you need to play your best team, not a collection of your best players.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2012/09/07 at 9:20 PM

It was horrendous. Apart from the nice build up play for Dempsey’s [saved] effort, I don’t think I remember too much offense or creativity. US simply could not control the midfield and as a result, found it hard to keep hold of the ball. Altidore, Gomez and Dempsey were redundant for large parts of the game.

31. Posted by Wilkerson McLaser on 2012/09/07 at 7:07 PM

So! Klinsi: crazy genius or just crazy?! Jesus.

32. Posted by jb on 2012/09/07 at 7:20 PM

Wow what a horror show. Worst performance in the JK era. How can you have 3 centermids be invisible?

• Posted by Arisrules on 2012/09/07 at 7:33 PM

the three d-mid thing really has never worked going forward. It’s just that today our luck ran out defensively, and we were caught. JFT is garbage, but he should have been subbed in today.

We will qualify for the next round, but JK needs to figure out the midfield situation. I do not understand what he is going for. I understand he wants to protect the back four, but there are ways to do this.

33. 3 thoughts on Klinsmann/coaches:

1) Good on them for not starting Torres when he hasn’t warranted it. Torres would not have contributed with the way Jamaica was closing space in the middle.

2) Poor strategy not to press/ have *somewhat higher line. The risk of getting burned in by a counter or sprint the other way would be there. But we easily allowed Jamaica to enter and park into our half, with little ability to move back out into there’s (no target man, no true wingers, shotty linkup play).

3) Coaches slow to react, changes too late. Edu and Altidore lacked aggression, allowed defenders to come around them to the ball, and overall allowed our forays forward to die. Edu took way too much time on the ball and was meh on D allowing Jamaica to crash in on Beckermann all day. Klinsy needed to filp the script and get subs in early in 2nd half BEFORE Jamaica scored.

Jamaica deserved the win. Played as a team, relatively disciplined, and had desire. Conversely do not enjoy seeing JJ mentally allowing himself to get frustrated, taken out of the game and roll on the ground after challenges.

34. Posted by Gregorio on 2012/09/07 at 7:30 PM

Omg was that effing horrible or what, reminded me of ole US under Bunker Bob, but at least he wouldnt give up these set pieces or at least thrown in Feilhaber to spice things up. Edu was just atrocious, Jermaine was bad, I actually didn’t get too nervous when Beckerman was in possession. But wholly crap, what a real shitfest was this game,

• Let’s be very honest here, there wasn’t a single person on the face of the earth stopping that second free kick. It was gorgeous. Give the player his due.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2012/09/07 at 8:13 PM

Great execution. But Edu’s foul was completely unnecessary. Talk about diving in.

35. Posted by fellaini'sfro on 2012/09/07 at 7:38 PM

Brutal watching the game tonight. I saw people standing around, long balls the reggae boys cleared easily, passes that inexplicably went towards a teammate who was covered and totally bypassed the teammate who was open. jb above was correct. Worst performance in the Klinsi era…

36. Was the play by play man on the english/american BeIN sport feed Phil Schoen? Whoever it was seemed to be quite uninformed and would make annoying proclamations/ extraneous info at inappropriate times. I wasn’t sure if we were watching the same match when he suggested Gomez or Dempsey should be the first subbed out.

Balboa was meh as well.

37. I’ve read many of places that Torres is the problem, or if we just get back Bradley or Donovan is the player we need. How about all of the above!

Donovan healthy… we have no one that can play right side other than him.
    Bradley has been the link to play the midfield and pass out of the back or shoot from just outside the box.
    Torres when he played with these two played well but not in every game… I agree with that but all of a sudden having 3 guys that can actually pass the ball is better than 1 or 2 or none in this game.

Point is, we need our best (including Holden too) because without our best right now… we have depth in players with talent just not the level of skill that is needed. Examples: Edu can’t pass like any of the three above and neither can Beckerman… while Jones thinks he can but really he can’t. So like the Mexico game that everyone puts blame on Torres for no distribution to a gimpy Donovan and Gomez who just played 5 games in 2 weeks before the Mexico game (didn’t look like the player vs. Brazil) with Beckerman/Jones and Williams behind him…

So does Dempsey get a pass on the same issue in this game? Sure Dempsey scored but it wasn’t like he had to do much to put that one in for an EPL player.

Not happy with the loss but with no passing ability in the midfield… changes will have to be made in personnel or formation. Not many other options.

Honestly, I liked the backline. Say a 4-1-3-1 Edu the DCM, Williams to RM (only other option is Corona or Zusi.. not sure Corona is ready), Gomez (until Dempsey comes in 2nd half maybe) at CM and either Torres at LM or Shea (Shea does not play defense so he’s a liability for full game- personally I think that is why he has not started in recent games) and I’d go with Boyd up top. Boyd will put in the work while Altidore doesn’t and to me never has.

38. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2012/09/07 at 8:19 PM

I know Jamaica are physical, but have they always been that dirty?

And how can FIFA allow a WCQ to be played on s pitch like that? They’ve got the know-how… see their cricket greens.

39. George—Did you see the pitch in the Guatemala game tonight? Looked like a melting skating rink.

Missed the game so not much to say other than from what I’m hearing Jones was a mess. Rather see Williams there as I’ve talked about my concern for Jones on the ball and eroding skills. I know not having Bradley hurts, but can we stop the three defensive midfield non-sense. You can’t extoll possession based soccer and taking it to an opponent and then trot out three guys who do the same thing without offering much offensively.

Let’s see how JK adjusts on the return leg. Getting a little nervous about advancing here. Need a win on Tuesday for sure.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2012/09/07 at 9:27 PM

What annoys me, as badly as US played, Jamaica never really got behind. I believe all their efforts were from distance, and they didn’t really trouble Howard. Just the lazy free kicks conceded on the edge of the box…

40. Posted by Union on 2012/09/07 at 9:23 PM

As I’ve been saying – if you watched the US’s recent games against CONCACAF – you shouldn’t be surprised.

This is the sad state of our current player pool. I mean, given the players selected and the injury what other lineup would have made sense? I don’t think Gomez should be playing on…THE WING…but JK needs goals and he put 3 of our best goal scorers on the field. Problem is, there is literally 1 MF in the entire US player pool that can play an effective role in JK’s system: Bradley. And he was injured. So we had 3 defensive midfielders, with 0 ability on the ball, trying to create for 3 center forwards. A disaster from the get-go, but honestly, what other choices does Jurgen have? Torres has shown very little, especially in games against physical teams who don’t give you time on the ball. Corona – well who knows, but I find it hard to believe he would have faired much better. We rip on Jones but the guy starts on a very good football club. Williams is a better option than Beckerman/Edu bc he has more skill on the ball, but he isn’t a solution – just a slightly better option.

Anyways – I don’t know what happens. But the US player pool is extraordinarily thin. Worrisome indeed.

41. Posted by Alex on 2012/09/07 at 10:08 PM

Another nitpick. If you’re going to ask your attacking width, why play Parkhurst?
    And the Goodson/Cameron partnership didn’t look good. And Johnson had so few chances to get forward because we couldn’t keep the damn ball.

I stopped watching around the 55th/60th minute so, how did Shea look in this game? Well enough so that we could start at least one winger next match?

42. Posted by Alex on 2012/09/07 at 10:17 PM

Its like Klinsmann doesn’t know how to manage the lead up to and during games where you only get 3 subs. Ridiculous

43. Posted by Alex on 2012/09/07 at 10:23 PM

Just too many thoughts, sorry I’m blowing up this comment feed, but I think Klinsmann is being way too over-reliant on Dempsey to be our offense when he’s off playing form.

And why no replacement for Gatt? When you call in only two attacking mid types and one goes down, conventional wisdom says you call up at least one more attacking mid type. And I don’t understand this Corona call up. You cannot tell me that someone like Kljestan or Pontius or Brad Davis or Beasley or Feilhaber is not better than the kid. No offense to him but COME ON. Hell I’m sure Spector or Cherundolo would’ve added something being played at right mid over Parkhurst. Something.