Stu Holden! Klinsmann’s Roster For Belgium & Germany

Holden ... no more looking at the past!

Holden … no more looking at the past!

And there it is. Jurgen Klinsmann going wide and expansive with his camp roster next week. The roster dominated by the return of golden boy Stu Holden and no place for Steve Cherundolo (or Carlos Bocanegra).

GOALKEEPERS (6) : Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8) : DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Augsburg)

MIDFIELDERS (10) : Michael Bradley (Roma), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Maurice Edu (Bursaspor), Stuart Holden (Bolton), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (Stoke City), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (5) : Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC)

Still in recovery according the USSF release.

Still in recovery according the USSF release.

The skinny:

» Perplexing selections based solely on fitness. Cherundolo, no; but he’s been playing since April. Matt Besler injured, but called in.

»Klinsmann calls five keepers and I think it’s a good decision. He’s going to rotate them into camp so that he respects the impact the keepers–all MLS based–have on their team’s success.

1. Posted by mbw on 2013/05/16 at 11:46 AM

He dropped Cherundolo??

• That baffles me. More than the Donovan drop (to be fair, Landon has not been playing well with LA since coming back), that completely baffles me. We’re scoring 3 goals in five games if we’re very lucky. Unless Clint goes full Texas, in which case we’ve got a shot at 9 points.

• Posted by mbw on 2013/05/16 at 12:49 PM

He might be more injured than any of us know. Still, I just don’t see how the attack will work without him on the pitch. Push Johnson higher? Play over the top? Get Dempsey to draw free kicks, like Tottenham does?

(Trivia: In the ten games the JK-era US has played without Dolo in the lineup, they’ve scored multiple goals only once.)

2. Posted by Union on 2013/05/16 at 11:48 AM

My Landon Donovan thought progression:

“Oh, Donovan is going to SE Asia on a spiritual journey instead of playing against Mexico? Screw that guy!”—> “Oh, Jurgen isn’t going to call Donovan into camp now? Okay, well, serves Donovan right. Thats what he gets”—> “What? Jurgen called in Brad Davis instead of Landon Donovan? What the f*ck!!!!!”

3. Posted by Alex on 2013/05/16 at 11:56 AM

I really just don’t understand how guys like D Williams and Shea make it on the roster and not Donovan.

• Why take issue with Williams? When deployed properly (Defensive midfield) the dude is an excellent compliment to Michael Bradley.
      The only explanation for Shea is that Klinsi think the kid really needs a hug right now.

I would have rather seen Dan Kennedy or even Clinton Irwin get friendly experience in place of Tally Hall or Bill Hamid.

• Posted by Alex on 2013/05/16 at 2:34 PM

Because Williams has barely played in the last few months. I also take issue with Parkhurst and even Holden for the same issue, not playing very much the past few months.

4. Posted by Nicholas on 2013/05/16 at 11:58 AM

Great to see Stu back. Eric Lichaj is simply not rated by JK. I’m wowwed by his ommision given that Parkhurst hasn’t been playing.

• Posted by Alex on 2013/05/16 at 12:05 PM

He’s more likely to go the GC. He didn’t play much for Villa until the last two or three matches. At least I hope he goes to the GC

• Posted by schmutzdeck on 2013/05/17 at 10:04 PM

Nicholas,

How can JK rate Lichaj when he barely plays? And he seems to play only when someone gets hurt or it’s late in the game and someone needs relief. In other words Lichaj does not actually beat anyone out for playing time.

Contrast that to Parkhurst who JK knows very, very well playing in a league JK rates above the EPL. Basically, Lichaj and Parkhurst are the same guy except Parkhurst is the devil you know so JK picks him.

Besides, Parkhurst is going to play most likely only if there is an emergency and that would have been the same case with Lichaj had he been called in.

• Posted by dth on 2013/05/17 at 11:43 PM

Except Klinsmann has brought in a bunch of players who rarely play. Playing time is an irrelevant criterion for him.

• JK never said playing time was the only consideration. He has said it is an important one, not the only one. No manager uses just one factor to evaluate any player.

For example Sacha has been getting plenty of PT for Anderlecht all along and could not get arrested; then it changed for reasons we are not privy to.

One day that may happen with Lichaj but unless he moves elsewhere and shows more I doubt it

5. Posted by Shawn on 2013/05/16 at 1:20 PM

I like Dolo, but we really need to start letting go of the old guard if we want to build for Brazil. That goes for Boca as well. I think it’s smart to keep Landon with the Galaxy and bring him in for Gold Cup and definitely the Fall round of WCQ. Don’t really have an issue with this roster. Only worrying thing is the CB pairing if Besler can’t get fit. I want to see consistency with Omar and Besler.

• Shawn,

“I like Dolo, but we really need to start letting go of the old guard if we want to build for Brazil.”
      We’re already there. Unless something real dramatic happens these guys, the injured ones who couldn’t make it and the Gold Cup squad are it. And of course, LD if he gets his mojo back.
      And Dolo is the best right back in that group without question. The next best is Fabian Johnson, then Chandler. And Cameron will get in there if offense is an afterthought.
      Anything is possible but I can’t see any of this changing by this time next year.

6. Posted by t on 2013/05/16 at 1:41 PM

I thought Klinnsmann’s rule was if you were not playing at your club you where not playing for the national team.So…………………the choice of Shea makes no sense to me. He has not had a whiff of the the pitch since January.
    PS- Dolo has not shown any signs of slowing down and when healthy he is by far the best right back we have period.

7. Posted by Union on 2013/05/16 at 2:28 PM

We’ve gone through this before with JK. Everyone, at this point, should take Jurgen’s mantra about “what it takes to play for the national team” with a grain of salt. Its more of a guiding principle. He deals with everything in a case by case manner, like most coaches. And frankly, while I don’t agree with some of his decisions, I’d prefer he treats each situation individually anyways. Brek hasn’t been playing, but he needs to be on the roster. Williams hasn’t been playing, but he’s shown flashes of brilliance. And with Bradley and I assume Jones all having yellow card issues, you might need another holding midfielder. Beckerman is a way better fit for the Gold Cup.

As I said above. I hate the Donovan omission. But he is the one who complicated this situation. My problem is, Jozy is at his best when he has Donovan to play off of. He needs service and outside of Holden, and MAYBE Shea, there is no one to really provide it.

UNLESS, Jurgen has Fabian play as a left winger, which he’s incredibly dynamic in when given the chance.

8. Posted by gino744 on 2013/05/16 at 3:01 PM

Gotta say that this roster gives me a chubby. I’m feeling’ Jurgy’s choices.

9. I think the Donovan exclusion makes sense. He clearly needed a mental break from the game. There is no need to add to his workload with friendlies. It’s not like he needs the experience.

Similarly with Dolo, he’s had a few injuries lately and isn’t getting younger. Why add to his workload? He’s playing for his club (so I gather from the previous comments) and will be ready if needed in a WCQ game. He needs the experience even less than Donovan.

Beyond, those two, I’m stoked to see Holden back. I’m not sure Davis is Nats material (though, I love him on the Dynamo), but I like that JK isn’t going to ditch him after one bad performance. I’m intrigued by the DMB at LB experiment, though I have my doubts. What happened to a couple years ago when Lichaj and Chandler were the future at outside back?

• Posted by Ufficio on 2013/05/16 at 5:16 PM

This is the roster for the three June qualifiers, not just the friendlies.

It’s a move that I would’ve thought would be even beyond Klinsmann-crazy if he hadn’t actually gone and done it.

• Posted by Ufficio on 2013/05/16 at 5:17 PM

Leaving Donovan off, that is.

• Posted by CJ on 2013/05/17 at 7:34 PM

He’s not as important as he used to be. He’s a great player, he makes an impact for our team but, Zusi will be across seas in no time… and that’s only counting him. Factor in Holden who has played out wide under BB and you got even more depth.

• Posted by schmutzdeck on 2013/05/17 at 9:44 PM

Ufficio,

Just because JK left Donovan off this roster and said he did not have LD in mind for these games, the two friendlies and the three qualifiers, it does not mean things can’t change in short order.

The Galaxy have quite a few games at the same time this camp and the two friendlies are going on so LD, if he is being good, will be getting in game shape.
          Should Jamaica , the first qualifier, prove to be a problem i.e the US drops points or gets guys hurt or in card hell, there is nothing to stop JK from calling LD in for Panama and Honduras if LD is tearing the league apart. He certainly doesn’t need the camp to “fit in”.

And if things go well, LD will have a lot of games to build up fitness for the Gold Cup.

I read comments that JK is contradicting himself and all that with this latest roster but if you follow what he has been saying all along, and admittedly that is a lot, he is being completely consistent.

As far as I can see he has telegraphed every roster move and has been very, very clear about what he expects from his players. And he has acted accordingly.
          Look at his treatment of Mikey, Sascha and Jozy. They all took their own version of ” breaks” from the team in a manner of speaking and JK did not bring them back until he thought they were good and ready.

I see no mysteries on this roster at all.

While LD probably gets back, he better be absolutely on fire or JK won’t bring him back. Leaving your best attacking player at home is something top national teams in Europe have done without worrying about it . Spain dropped Torres and played without a true striker. Not that the US is Spain but other teams have done similar things.

It’s not so much about showing them who is boss as it is about whether the team plays better with them ori without them. It’s really a vote of confidence in the rest of the team.

• Posted by Jared on 2013/05/19 at 1:08 PM

I agree that it’s crazy. At the very least bring him along and sit him on the bench in case we need a late goal. Who on the roster do you look at and say he can come on and provide a spark?

• Posted by jeppley on 2013/05/19 at 6:58 PM

Who’s got two thumbs and likes to skim articles? This guy.

10. Posted by Dirk on 2013/05/16 at 4:26 PM

Eric Lichaj needs to be here. he is versatile and has been training at a high level. Parkhurst has been a non-entity since moving to Germany.

I don’t have a problem with Shea being here. The fact he wasn’t making the 18 for Stoke just shows what a clown Tony Pulis is. You know who has made the 18 for Stoke? Michael Owen. Who hasn’t done a damn thing since I don’t know when. Shea has a skill set that differs from most of the defensive minded mids that JK calls up. And since we lack a Josh Gatt or Joe Gyau, then Shea fills that role… potentially.

And I don’t want to see Landon play in a meaningless Gold Cup. He should be called up to play World Cup qualifiers. Period.

11. I don’t mind many of the calls. Sure, I’d question Shea, Parkhurst, Williams, and possibly Besler if he’s hurt. I don’t see many other options at CB other than Boca who is not playing either. Shea needs to get more practice time and why not with the team that pulled in 25/26 players as not all will play (same for Williams/Parkhurst). I’m sure we can try out Cameron back inside with Gonzalez for friendlies. Only issue is if Cameron goes inside, only other option at RB seems to be Parkhurst who doesn’t play much to keep in line with the message boards theme.

So Donovan did more the other night than he’s done since coming back and he deserves to come back? Nope. Don’t see a problem with the no call for him. I get the frustration with calls for Shea, Parkhurst, Williams, and possibly Besler but at least they have been practicing since the fall… can you say that for Donovan? Wait…wait… Donovan did train in late March with Wisconsin soccer team… OOOHHHH.

We all know we’re better with a full game shape Donovan but he’s not there yet. Remember, he chose to take the break not Dempsey, Bradley and the rest of the team.

In the end, this is your team… http://youtu.be/eTLnC-c1E8A

I love this line! How does TSG like that clip!?!

12. Posted by dth on 2013/05/16 at 7:18 PM

Really excited for Klinsi’s innovative new five d-mid formation. With natural central midfielders Kljestan and Zusi tucked out wide.

Hey, at least he resisted the overwhelming temptation to call up Torres. Baby steps, I guess.

• Posted by Alex on 2013/05/16 at 11:54 PM

I’ve heard that Torres is doing pretty well for Tigres. I honestly wouldn’t be opposed to him coming him. I’d rather him than some of the others that were called based on playing form.

13. Posted by gino744 on 2013/05/16 at 7:28 PM

I think people are making too much of Holden’s selection. He’s there to help play himself into int’l form. Just because he’s on this roster doesn’t mean he’s inked in for the qualifiers. Same as some the other European based players like Shea, Edu, etc. Their seasons will be over by the time the Nats play their 1st qualifier. Jurgy needs options that are game fit, not rusty.

For team chemistry’s sake, Landon shouldn’t be gifted his place with the USMNT. If he were, there’d be more grumblings in the dressing room.

Does Chandler have a long term injury that explains his absence?

14. Chandler has the same broken vagina he always has. I hope never to see him in a US uniform again.

I don’t agree with the Donovan decision, but I understand it.

The rest of the roster is fairly straight-forward, at this point. The Gold Cup roster will be more interesting, in some ways. That’s where some fringe guys like Gatt, Diskerud, Bedoya, etc. will have an opportunity to move themselves into striking distance for Brazil. Or not.

Glad Torres is not on the roster. Glad Holden is. Getting Holden right could make a huge difference in Brazil, if it’s doable. I think Holden and Bradley are the best possible central mid-pairing, assuming Holden is somewhere in the range of 2009 Holden. No sure thing. But getting him the summer to run and play should help.

Biggest nit I’d pick is Parkhurst over Lichaj, but it’s clear at this point that Klinsmann would not piss on Lichaj if he were on fire.

Lastly, our width is for stinky-pants. What else is new?

15. Posted by Freegle on 2013/05/16 at 10:24 PM

I thought it was silly to have 6 GK in before I heard the explanation. Now that I know his logic, I think its even more ridiculous.You are using a World Cup qualifying camp to have a tryout for your third GK spot. Really? We don’t have any other priorities right now?

My biggest issue with this roster is not the specific omissions, or the specific selections. When looked at in a vaccuum, each can be justified on its own merits. The issue is with the relationship/contrast between some of the combinations and the inherent contradictions that lie within.

Klinsmann really painted himself into a corner at the beginning of his tenure when he talked about being on the field for your club team being of paramount importance. Maybe he didn’t realize how limited our talent pool is when he said it but either way, it has created a situation where his selections create basic questions…

We are calling in Holden and Shea with the intention of them finding form and fitness. Matt Besler has missed his last 3 matches. But Steve Cherundolo, who played 90 minutes this week, is too injured?

Why is a player not playing in the Bundesliga (Parkhurst) more valuable than a player playing sparingly, but more recently, in the EPL (Lichaj)?

Danny Williams plays a position at which we are very deep and hasnt played in over a month. Ale Bedoya plays a position at which we have little depth and has been playing (very well) over that same time. Jose Torres has been starting for the best team in Mexico all season. How do you justify this decision?

Landon Donovan has played in 6 matches and has 2 Gls and 3 Ast. He also happens to be our most capped available player, a veteran of 3 world cups, and has seen every possible situation that may occur in a WCQ. Eddie Johnson has played 6 matches so far this season and has 2Gls and 1Ast. Brad Davis has played in 9 matches and has 2 Gls and 3Ast. He is also older than Donovan so the concept of building for the future is null. How do you justify these inclusion/exclusion on any criteria other than personal vendetta? (Some may say that its justified based on that… but we are not good enough to waste Donovan’s talent at the Gld Cup when he could help up in games that matter).

Sorry for the rant… Bob Bradley made me upset sometimes with his conservative selections and tactics, but he seems positively brilliant compared to JK and some of his unjustifiable decisions.

16. Posted by jb on 2013/05/17 at 6:32 AM

It seems Klinsmann has settled on a basic group, and I think that explains the choices of a couple players who haven’t played as much lately. I don’t really understand the uproar of other fans (mostly on other sites) about the selections. I mean really who is left off that could make a difference? LD admitted he is not 100% mentally. ‘Dolo is obviously not 100% physically (yes I know he has played recently). I guess we could nitpick about Lichaj for a backup spot, but Parkhurst has been part of the group more and filled in well when called on. Guys like Lichaj, Bedoya, Diskerud will get their shot at the Gold cup. For my part, I’m a little relieved that JK is showing some consistency regarding the group he called.

17. Posted by Chazcar2 on 2013/05/17 at 7:11 AM

Questionable selections (5):
    Besler (injury?), Parkhurst (not playing), Holden (injury), Shea(injury), Williams (not playing/injury?).

Questionable omissions:
    Bocanegra (Still has games in a relegation battle), Cherundolo (Age/Injury/Minute accumulation), Lichaj (Not consistently playing?), Bedoya (in season), Donavon (in season)

This Roster 26 players, normal Roster 23, so that means he is selecting 3 extra players who would normally be not included. I think Holden, Shea and Williams are the three extras.

Still Parkhurst over Lichaj has got to be the most confusing selection. I know Lichaj hasn’t been into a Klinsmann camp yet (usually important), but seriously… Parkhurst hasn’t played at all and Lichaj has at least played some. Parkhurst is more versatile but the team has plenty of that with Edu and Cameron. They need more natural Right backs.

All that said Formation time:

Castillo–Cam–Gonzo–FJ

4-3-3
    –Dempsey–Altidore–Zusi–
    ———Jones—-????——–
    ————–Bradley———–
    Castillo–Cam–Gonzo—–FJ

Why is Bradley always the holder?

Because its the most important position in any possession based system. The holder must control the ball: Always pass well, never lose the ball on the dribble, be in excellent position. Edu and Jones will make bad passes and also frequently get the ball taken off of them. To have that happen to the holder is disastrous. Just look at Spain/Barcelona. Busquets is the key to how well their team plays. Just like Essien at his Chelsea Peak, or Xabi Alonso at Real, or Carrick at Man U, or Lucas at Liverpool, Arteta at Arsenal, Martínez at Bayern….. Its not really even important which formation they are playing, or the exact attributes of the player, but that ability to hold to ball and dictate the game from deep is something that each player can do.

18. Posted by mbw on 2013/05/17 at 10:10 AM

Random question: Belgium has two players who made the EPL team of the season and two others who arguably could have — plus two of the better young strikers in the league. Yet they’re actually behind the US in ESPN’s Soccer Power Index and not far ahead in Elo. What gives? Why the gap between talent and results?

• Posted by Alex on 2013/05/17 at 3:57 PM

They’re a really young team and have struggled to qualify for two previous major tournaments (WC ’10 and EC ’12). Most of the guys you’re talking about are only lately beginning to be regulars on the team. But I wouldn’t put much stock into the ESPN Soccer Power Index. I do believe they are a more talented side than us.

19. Posted by SamT on 2013/05/17 at 11:10 AM

I believe we’ve seen the last of Bocanegra. Quite possibly Cherundolo as well. The Donovan situation is interesting. Feels like it’s on a knife edge where it could go either way.

Bet if you had told Stu immediately after the Jonny Evans tackle that his next US camp would not involve a healthy Bocanegra, Cherundolo, or Donovan… he would’ve laughed you out of the room.

20. Posted by dth on 2013/05/18 at 5:26 PM

OT, but Andrew Jean-Baptiste’s ballhandling and ability to launch attacks with long diagonals is pretty interesting.

21. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2013/05/19 at 8:23 AM

How likely is it that Guzan starts ahead of Howard?

• Posted by dth on 2013/05/19 at 8:28 AM

Klinsmann’s declared Howard no. 1.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2013/05/19 at 8:36 AM

I just think that when Howard was injured, Guzan took his opportunity well and deserves to keep his place. Not to mention playing well for Villa this season.

Howard’s error handed Chelsea a goal on a silver platter. His form this season has not been as high as usual.

• Posted by Jared on 2013/05/19 at 1:11 PM

Guzan is definitely in better form than Howard. He has been shakier this season than he has since he was at Man Utd.

• Jared,

Howard is not as good a keeper as Guzan at the moment, at least on the club level.

For the US I suspect JK named Howard #1 because while I think Guzan is okay backing up Timmy, Howard probably would not handle backing up Brad very well.

Without competition, Timmy easily gets complacent and then loses focus like he did in the 2010 World Cup. He had no competition then.

Now that Guzan has finally arrived, he will keep pressure on Timmy. And if Timmy continues his club slide with the US, I have no doubt JK will then pull the plug.

After all if Donovan’s place isn’t safe, why should Timmy’s be?

22. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2013/05/19 at 10:07 AM

I said last summer – Tottenham need to buy better players than Dempsey if they want to qualify for the Champion’s League. I got heckled and harassed then, but ultimately, I was right.

• Posted by dth on 2013/05/19 at 10:48 AM

No, you were wrong. Considering Spurs were only a point off Champions League, tiny changes in luck could’ve resulted in qualification + no better players in transfer market than Dempsey. For example, Sandro could’ve stayed healthy.

• How so? They did not qualify, did they? They finished 5th.

And Bale carried Spurs this season, and will probably be off in the summer. If he does go, Spurs won’t come close to CL qualification next season.

• Posted by dth on 2013/05/19 at 11:27 AM

They didn’t qualify, but the causal mechanism you identified — not signing a player better than Dempsey — wasn’t the reason. Or at least not the most important reason. Therefore, you were wrong.

• Posted by Crow on 2013/05/19 at 1:56 PM

72 pts would have been good enough the last 4 years just like they would have been in this year if Chelsea hadn’t had the bizarre combination of coming in 5TH and then winning CL due to Bayerns choke job. Spurs seems to have the worst of luck. Even before Dempsey arrived they were the one bigger team I actually somewhat liked. So depressed right now I despise the 4 teams ahead of them. I knew that Fulham and Wigan game was going to cost them. I think not signing the targets in the winter window is what cost them.

So now I do agree that Bale will leave and they will not see CL. Wanted Deuce to get to play in CL so badly and especially before the World Cup.

• Yeah, have to agree with dth. That’s pretty poor reasoning George.

“I said last summer that Spurs need to eat more cupcakes in order to qualify for CL
      They didn’t eat more cupcakes
      They didn’t qualify for CL
      I got heckled and harassed then, but ultimately I was right”

See: “Negative proof fallacy”

No reason to drag Dempsey into this other than trying to get some Yanks riled up.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2013/05/19 at 3:38 PM

I stand by what I said when Tottenham signed Dempsey (& other players) – very good player(s), but not good enough to take them to the next level. Sorry if that offends you, but it is my opinion, which has been backed up by their 5th position finish. And they only finished that high because of Bale.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2013/05/20 at 6:17 PM

It will be interesting to see if Dempsey is still a Tottenham player after the summer transfer window.

• Posted by schmutzdeck on 2013/05/19 at 10:10 PM

You guys can argue causality all day but the reality is Spurs just weren’t as good Chelsea., the guys they had to surpass.

Injuries are no excuse, everyone gets them and that is why you have a squad with enough depth to account for them, which is sort of GC’s point. I mean Gallas, Huddlestone and Parker? Get real. And Vertonghen is interesting but can you spell inconsistent defending?

Had they gotten in they would have needed serious reinforcement.

Where I disagree with him is Dempsey wasn’t why they failed; he scored 12 goals across al competitions including some important ones down the stretch.
        But he and Bale simply did not have enough consistent support. Defoe and Adebayor were inconsistent and should be jettisoned. If Spurs have a fire sale maybe Clint can make his way to Schalke.

• Posted by Jared on 2013/05/20 at 6:04 AM

I agree that Spurs needed to buy better players but it had nothing to do with Dempsey’s quality or lack thereof. Spurs needed better players in central midfield and at striker. They never addressed those issues even in January. The injury to Sandro along with the injuries to Defoe and Adebayor being Adebayor are what cost them.

How does a team that wants to finish in the top 4 go into a season with only 2 strikers on the squad? Even if your plan is to play with only 1 you still need at least 3 especially considering that Spurs were in the Europa League as well.

• Posted by John Henry on 2013/05/20 at 7:46 AM

Not sure what there is here to disagree with other than the somewhat caustic tone and the non-sequitor of the Dempsey mention. Spurs need a better squad, obviously.

Clearly Dempsey is never going to be the main star of a serious Champions League team, but he could easily be (and demonstrably was this year) an important contributing squad player/rotating starter on a CL-caliber team. Part of the challenge of qualifying for the CL is depth, which Dempsey definitely provided Tottenham with.

Buying players like that is not incompatible with buying 5 star players. Seems right that Spurs have to buy both types to get to the next level. That is, despite your contention, it’d be hard for anyone to argue that Demspey was a bad purchase for them.

23. Posted by dth on 2013/05/19 at 11:36 AM

The lack of chemistry between Keane and Villarreal reminds me jarringly of the same between Henry and Agudelo.

24. Posted by dth on 2013/05/19 at 2:33 PM

OT: DC United had a fullback the quality of Taylor Kemp and weren’t playing him? WTF were they thinking?

25. Posted by Union on 2013/05/20 at 12:34 PM

John Anthony Brooks doing the dance. After saying he was in for US, he won’t commit for the U-20 World Cup. That being said, he’s also not playing in U-21 Euro’s for Germany.

Interesting development. At 19 years old, he anchored the defense for a club that dominated the Bundesliga second division. And will likely be starting next season in the Bundesliga. He is on the radar of the top German clubs, and thus the German national team. The kid is incredibly talented.

On one hand, this should be taken with a grain of salt. Hertha could have easily said “listen, we’re playing in the 1st division next season, you have to earn your spot again. Take this offseason to rest and train with the club, don’t risk an injury”.

On the other hand, no matter what, Ramos’ remarks indicate that they don’t know where this kids head is at.

My solution. JK should call him in and cap tie him. Seriously.

26. Posted by dth on 2013/05/21 at 10:22 AM

Wait, what?: http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/20/chelis-increasingly-sounds-like-a-man-broken-by-chivas-usa/

$75k for Agudelo? Seriously? MLS priority number one, now that #20 is on board, is to dispose of Vergara. I like the idea of a Latin-flavored, LA-based club, so I’d prefer a suitable buyer to be found. But my word does he suck.

27. Posted by Nate on 2013/05/27 at 8:01 PM

Edu, Shea and Ashe out injured, and a bunch of guys unavailable for Wednesday. Looks like Beasley at LB again, and maybe Sacha or Stu in the middle now. Very different look for the Belgium match!

28. Based on this roster from USSF after Edu/Shea/Ashe being called out:
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire),
    DEFENDERS (6): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Michael Parkhurst (Augsburg)
    MIDFIELDERS (6): Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Stuart Holden (Bolton), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
    FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC) – See more at: http://www.ussoccer.com/news/mens-national-team/2013/05/edu-and-ashe-withdraw-from-mnt-camp.aspx#sthash.c6mpD85B.dpuf

Looks to me, we’ll go:
    ——————-Howard————————
    Parkhurst-Gonzalez-Cameron-Beasley-
    ————Jones——Kljestan—————-
    Zusi————Dempsey——–Gomez—-
    ——————Altidore————————
    Reserves: Besler, Goodson, Davis, Evans, Holden, Boyd, Johnson

I feel this is the best chance for Kljsetan to show his game. He’s not had this type of chance since early in his career with the USMNT. I’d expect to see Stuart Holden and Davis come in and EJ at minimum. Back line… Evans backs up CM (Jones), RB and LB for this game. There was a comment I read from Cameron that he was practicing as a CB not RB but it could mean nothing. I’m just stating the reason I put him at CB rather than RB. I’m not too sure I’d want to play Dempsey the entire 90 with WC qualifiers coming up and its no surprise he’s a major player for us.