Jurgen Klinsmann Names 23 For Costa Rica and Mexico WCQ Standoffs

No surprises?

Alligaot

Alligator blood

KlinsmannCorp:

Goalkeepers – Brad Guzan, Tim Howard, Nick Rimando

Defenders – DaMarcus Beasley, Matt Besler, John Anthony Brooks, Geoff Cameron, Edgar Castillo, Brad Evans, Omar Gonzalez, Michael “The Fiscal” Orozco

Midfielders – Kyle Beckerman, Alejandro Bedoya, Michael Bradley, Mix Diskerud, Fabian Johnson, Jermaine Jones, Graham Zusi

Forwards – Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Aron Johannsson, Eddie Johnson

1. Posted by Chazcar2 on 2013/08/29 at 1:11 PM

Hooray! More US Soccer!
    Thoughts about forming a line up:
    I like including fabian and zusi(if fully fit) to provide service from the wings. Donovan is a goal scorer, I think you want him closer to goal than a wide midfield role. Also that role would be great for subbing in Aron Bacon, Eddie or Bedoya. Fabian doesn’t play the fullback role correctly in the team, He wants to come inside, I think the fullback needs to stay wide and the midfielder come inside. Also, I don’t like Jones in the lineup because I think he limits Bradley too much, without providing enough to make up for that.

line up:
    —Dempsey–Altidore–Donovan—
    -Fabian——Bradley———-Bedoya-
    Beasley–Besler–Cameron–Evans
    —————–Howard—————–

Alternative:
    ———Dempsey–Altidore———-
    -Fabian——Bradley———-Zusi-
    —————Cameron—————-
    Beasley–Besler—Brooks—-Evans
    —————–Howard—————–

Honestly, if Donovan has the mentality for it, saving him for off the bench could really kill teams. I imagine dropping Zusi at 60 for Vintage Donovan to come in and just run at people.

2. Posted by Tom P on 2013/08/29 at 1:28 PM

Seems about right except for E.J. – he is not a World Cup caliber player no matter how much luck he has lately. He just dribbles too much in dangerous places and is not a good fit next to Jozy.
    I have watched Zusi and Donovan lately very closely- not even close……Donovan by 20 lengths at the poll.
    Hope Aron J.gets on the pitch; the kid is fast, technically sound and fearless.

Deuce worries me. I am happy for him and his family but wish he would have waited one more year to make the move for the selfish reason that he has risen or lowered his game depending on the competition.

3. Posted by Tom P on 2013/08/29 at 1:29 PM

PS- it is going to be a very good match!!!!

4. Now that’s a roster… I feel like Klinsmann’s smart enough to realize if getting all the best players on the field make mean a weaker team. There are a lot of ways to shuffle this pack. Has Donovan earned a start? Can we celebrate the Goodson absence?

The things about Dempsey is before long he’ll realize he needs to change his game in MLS and be more in control and involved in the game. He was always more involved at Fulham than for Tottenham last season, so I’m hoping that could be a good thing for the national team.

• Posted by Tom Patton on 2013/08/29 at 5:49 PM

I am sorry to say, and believe when I say I hope I am dead wrong, but Dempsey is about to become a much less important cog with the national team with his move to MLS.
      That being said he has the right to be financially secure and for him and his family to be happy. I just think in terms of the WC he should have waited a year and been sold by Spurs to another EPL team or somewhere in Europe so he would be challenged and play with that chip on his shoulder that made him better then the sum of his parts.

BUT THEN AGAIN THAT KIND OF MONEY FROM THE MLS MIGHT NOT BEEN THERE NEXT YEAR.

• Posted by SamT on 2013/08/30 at 6:45 AM

This is premature. Let’s see where he goes in the offseason. He’s carved out the option in his contract, and this is exactly the year to use it.

• Posted by Tom Patton on 2013/08/30 at 3:19 PM

Could you explain what the “option” is please?

• Posted by Crow on 2013/08/30 at 5:19 PM

He has an option for a European loan.

• Posted by Paul on 2013/08/30 at 7:16 PM

A point under-stressed by others, including myself, in the initial frustration over Dempsey’s move. Just wonder if getting international play until the end of the year, MLS playoffs, a trip somewhere to Europe for a few months, plus rest equals a rejuvenated Deuce. It has worked for Lando, let’s let it work for Deuce.

• Mr. Patton,

“he should have waited a year and been sold by Spurs to another EPL team or somewhere in Europe so he would be challenged”

In any transaction you need a buyer and a seller. Who were the buyers??
        You are acting as if a lot of other “top ” teams were waiting to take Deuce off of Spurs hands. Where is your evidence of that ?

Have you seen the squad Spurs have assembled and continue to assemble? Try and look at this group through the eyes of a neutral and tell me how other than injury, Clint gets even as much playing time as he did late year.

There is a romantic notion that Clint always wins out and gets his average 40 appearances but eventually that was going to stop and why would Clint want to risk that in a World Cup year?

• Posted by Tom Patton on 2013/08/31 at 11:33 PM

Look- the guy averaged ALMOST 15 goals or better across all competitions the past 5 years in Europe’s most competitive league top to bottom. So maybe he goes from Spurs to a mid level EPL side or somewhere in Germany to play vs. top competition in the build up to what will 95% sure his last WC.
          Look- guys with his scoring stats do not fall of trees even in Europe and someone gladly would have signed him.
          So now he is playing with a English League 1 side in the build up to to the WC14. This is not good for a man who thrived on his underdog status to become the player he has. And please do not tell about how much the MLS has improved because UNTIL THEY WIN THE CONCACAF CUP WITH GREAT REGULARITY they are still just a development league with an excellent fan base.Not only that but they must have at least one squad eventually make run into the quarters or the semi’s of the the Copa Lib.
          Now here is the rub: would he got the same offer from Seattle after a poor WC ?
          Most likely not. That is why I do not blame for taking the money and making his family secure for life. Actually from a life perspective I am very,very happy for him because he does not seem like the kind of guy who enjoyed theater or museums London had to offer anyway.
          AND NEXT SUMMER HE WILL BE 32 WHICH IS GETTING UP THERE FOR AN ATTACKING WINGER. MAYBE HE DOES NOT GET THE 9 MILLION?

5. Posted by mbw on 2013/08/29 at 2:34 PM

MOF: Cover at right back, in case Evans and Cameron somehow both pick up yellows against Costa Rica? (Not that he didn’t earn a backup CB spot with his Gold Cup performances. Plus as Matt’s pointed out, he’s a good tactical selection for these two opponents.)

• Posted by mbw on 2013/08/29 at 7:24 PM

Actually it sounds from JKs comments like he plans to add players if there are suspensions, so nevermind.

6. Posted by Crow on 2013/08/29 at 3:14 PM

I’m pretty happy with the roster- I’m trying to believe that Brooks is actually here and he will be here the next decade. Seems to good to be true, I’m waiting for something to go wrong.

I’d like to see Lichaj but I think it will happen after the USA clinches if he keeps playing as well as he has. Until Chandler starts playing well and consistently in Germany and actually gives a proper commitment to the USA I don’t want to see him. With that said its still between Evans and Cameron who I don’t think RB is their best spot. Orozco Fiscal has been playing RB for Puebla, right?

What I would like to discuss more is the injury/yellow card situation of the other teams and the USA. Bryan Ruiz hasn’t been getting any minutes from what I heard. As for Mexico, there still is no word on dos Santos’ injury that forced him to leave the game. Obviously Ochoa and Vela refused call-ups and Javier Hernandez hasn’t played a minute since the Confed Cup. Guardado has been injured and out of form. The only Mexican players that seem to be playing well (that will be here) seem to be Aquino, Moreno, and Peralta.

I’m a little nervous going to Costa Rica with a large number of yellow cards- I forget how many there are- 9? The most important of course being Bradley and Dempsey. I’d like to see Cameron with Bradley in Costa Rica because I don’t want Bradley worried to have to play defense while not picking up a yellow card.

This time next week Ill be on my flight to San Jose…. Costa Rica!!! :)

• Posted by Tom Patton on 2013/08/29 at 5:41 PM

I worry much more about Bradley picking up a second yellow then anyone else at this stage. He is far and away our best, most consistent player and his value will only be properly realized the day he misses an important match.

• Posted by David on 2013/08/29 at 8:29 PM

The 9 yellow cards are troubling because Marco Rodriguez has been assigned to the Costa Rica game and he will pull out the cards at the drop of a hat. It could really complicate the Mexico game.

• I’ve been on tenterhooks about this ever since they announced Rodriguez would be reffing.

• Posted by Crow on 2013/08/30 at 11:30 AM

I don’t think the USA/Jamaica game was that bad other than the Jamaica goal being offside.

• Posted by CJ on 2013/09/03 at 2:09 PM

I just looked up his stats and although he does seem to give quite a few cards occasionally, I don’t think he’s been as bad as you’d like to remember for us. Check out this link on his cards given in International play. Ctrl+F “USA” and he’s given us 5 yellows in one game, 2 in another, and only 1 for another 6 games or so.

• Posted by David on 2013/09/03 at 4:43 PM

I guess if I think about it he has generally been better as an international ref than in Mexico.He can even be good in Mexico, but there have been some games he’s gone a little over the top, giving him a bad rep with many who follow the Mexican league.

• Posted by schmutzdeck on 2013/08/31 at 8:05 AM

Crow,

The U.S. has 10 players now carrying yellow cards into their upcoming World Cup Qualifying match against Costa Rica on Sept. 6 in San Jose.

The players are: Jermaine Jones, Jozy Altidore, Michael Bradley, Matt Besler, Geoff Cameron, Brad Davis, Clint Dempsey, Brad Evans, Tim Howard and Fabian Johnson.

• Posted by FellainisFro on 2013/08/31 at 8:37 AM

I am jealous Crow. To get to go to a WCQ game and do it overseas is awesome. I think this squad overall is the deepest yet that Klinsi has put out there in his two years in charge. Honestly I would love to see a paring of Altidore and Aron Bacon up front. Their 10+ minutes together looked like a promising relationship in the Bosnia game. With Bradley bossing the midfield and either Lando or Deuce cutting in from out wide I think there is some potential attacking options we haven’t seen since the Scotland friendly.

7. Posted by Gregorio on 2013/08/29 at 6:38 PM

I think we tie in Costa Rica but I like our roster, I agree with most posters but think Donovan will come in off the bench, Zusi has been more than capable and we need him as cover so what will be his state of mind if he’s relegated to the bench? Although I’m thinking about egos here I think JK if the reports about his benching of Boca are correct, won’t give a hoot about Zusi’s ego. I just hope we cap Brooks & Johannsson in these next 2 games, a point in Costa Rica and we practically clinch a trip to Brazil.
    And its working but so many players playing out of position sort of mind boggling. Hope it doesn’t bite us in the ass.
    PS doesn’t matter who plays for Mexico, its going to be a hard fought battle, they will rise to the occasion as do our guys when playing them.

• Posted by schmutzdeck on 2013/08/31 at 8:11 AM

If Zusi is benched or has to come in as sub and this insult to his ego affects his play, I don’t want such a mentally weak prima donna on the US team.

Cut him loose.

Donovan took all kinds of abuse for his actions and came back strong. I like Graham but if he is going to be a weenie ban him from the team.

The USMNT does needs tough minded individuals not weenies. There are no soccer moms there.

8. Posted by gaug on 2013/08/30 at 6:19 AM

Aron Bacon is already tied to US because he filed a one-time switch from Iceland. I’m betting Brooks comes on as a late substitute to cap tie him.

The question for me is if Cameron keeps getting consistent minutes at RB for Stoke this year, does he get the RB spot for us in the WC? Our attack out the back seems to flow from the left, so maybe it’s not a problem if he stays home more.

I prefer him as CDM to allow Bradley to move farther upfield, but what do folks think about him vs. Evans/Parkhurst/someone else?

• Posted by Tom P on 2013/08/30 at 9:58 AM

Well…….it all depends if Steve C.gets healthy and back in top form. And that is a big if.

• Posted by schmutzdeck on 2013/08/31 at 8:16 AM

gaug,

Are you comparing apples to oranges?

Have you seen Cameron play right back for Stoke? Does Stoke use their right back the same way JK uses his right back?

JK’s right back initiates a lot of offensive moves and is an integral part of JK’s desire to maintain possession. In other words, when Cameron plays right back for Stoke does he look like Dolo when Dolo plays for the US?

Because that is what JK is looking for in a right back, Dolo himself or Dolo 2.0.

• Posted by Crow on 2013/08/31 at 7:02 PM

I don’t want to see Cameron at RB because I think he is just so much better for a central role of some sort and doesn’t have the skillset to play well at RB on the International Level. With that said, yes Cameron’s Stoke RB role is very similar to the USA. The USA under JK has basically been playing up the Left Wing and funneling away from the right even with a player who can go forward like Brad Evans.

9. To me the roster breaks down like this as a depth chart:

G: Howard, Guzan, Rimando
    LB: Beasley, Castillo
    LCB: Besler, John
    RCB: Gonzalez, (Cameron or Fiscal)
    RB: Evans, (Cameron or Fiscal)
    CM: Jones, Beckerman
    CM: Bradley, Diskerud
    LM: F.Johnson, Donovan
    CAM: Dempsey, Johannson
    RM: Zusi, Bedoya
    F: Altidore, EJ

Donovan is the big question mark on whether to start at RM or come in for someone like Fabian in 2nd half because he can play on the left side but so can Zusi as he’s shown the ability to do so switching a few times in WC qualifiers with the other player that is playing on the wing (not a true winger) like EJ or Gomez. Fabian doesn’t really finish games similar to Torres, he usually comes out around the 60 minute mark and with him having a yellow… its likely he’ll come out.

Next issue, Yellow Cards: Altidore, Johnson, Deuce, Jones, Bradley, Evans, and Howard. I’m not as worried Altidore or Deuce will pick up another but FJohnson, Cameron, Jones and Evans are the ones I’m most worried about due to they play defense. Bradley, I feel he’s smart enough not to do anything rash.

With Dolo’s second knee injury and Parkhurst not playing, its looking like a place for Cameron to play with possibly Evans as his backup. I’m not big on it and maybe Orozco-Fiscal can play there as he’s played both CB and RB for Puebla this year.

• Posted by CJ on 2013/09/03 at 2:23 PM

I don’t think we will see Donovan sidelined for FJ. Think about that for a second. There’s no reason for it other than that FJ has a left foot.

Also, I looked up Cherundolo in the news and the reports are saying he only had his knee scoped to deal with scar tissue from the original injury. That will likely add no more than a month to his recovery; scar tissue is a common problem with tears as the body doesn’t heal well in areas of poor perfusion (the knee ligaments particularly, the ACL even more so, which is why it’s so common). He was originally planning to return to training last week, so that means he should have a full season under his belt by the WC, there’s no reason to believe he won’t be @ WC2014 barring any setbacks.

• Posted by FJ on 2013/09/04 at 5:49 PM

FJ is right footed.

• Posted by CJ on 2013/09/05 at 1:38 PM

I said FJ has a left foot, not that he’s left footed but, thanks for the clarification. By saying he has a left foot I meant he is adept at using it. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

10. Posted by gino744 on 2013/08/30 at 9:07 AM

Would Liked To Have Have Seen Joe Corona In Place Of Mix. I Think Corona Offers More Creativity And Is More Versatile Because He Can Play Any Of The Three Forward Midfield Spots. Otherwise This Seems Prett Close To Who I’d LikeTo See On The Plane To Brazil, SavE A Healthy Cherundolo. Btw, Anybody Know How To Adjust The Swype FeatureOn An Android Phone So That It Doesn’t CapitalizE Every Word?

11. Posted by aztri81 on 2013/08/30 at 1:05 PM

I was disappointed to see Brek Shea not on the list. Did he deserve to be on the list for his talent? Most likely not, but damn it, you just need a weird dude like Brek Shea on your team as a wild card. Imagine putting him in as a sub during a World Cup game… “Who the hell is that?”… “Some dude named Brek Shea.” Meanwhile, Altidore just put the ball in the back of the net while the opposing team was trying to figure out who the hell Brek Shea is.

(Sorry. All of the other comments already posted were intelligent and insightful. Thus, you really needed a screwball comment on here. So, you’re welcome.)

• Posted by B. Rose on 2013/09/04 at 7:32 AM

This is not so screwball a comment as you’d think. My brother was studying abroad in Germany during WC 2002 when we played Germany in the quarterfinals. He said everyone over there was pretty confident that they’d beat us, and that only one thing concerned them: Clint Mathis, who showed up in Korea/Japan with that amazing/ridiculous mohawk. The Germans had no idea what to make of him, and they were frankly a little frightened.

I don’t think we need a US Dept of Psy Ops to beat Costa Rica or Mexico, but there may come a time when we need an all-American weirdo.

• ^^ Reason #251 why it would’ve been amazing to see Ron Artest-type player make the squad. Queensbridge, man. Queensbridge.

• Posted by aztri81 on 2013/09/05 at 5:35 PM

I was glad to see your response. Definitely agree that we need an ” all-American weirdo.” Maybe we’ll get lucky and he will mysteriously appear on the U.S. roster sometime soon.

12. Posted by Crow on 2013/08/30 at 1:58 PM

Well Javier Hernandez is already out this weekend again and Dos Santos is doubtful to start. How many Mexicans are carrying yellows into the Honduras game?

• Posted by Tom Patton on 2013/08/30 at 3:24 PM

I really do not worry about the Mexican Camp. They will sort things out because they are playing us. They have too much talent to continue to play this poorly.
      I worry about us 1st and foremost.And I want to see Donovan on the pitch from minute one and EJ on the bench because he does not mesh well with Altidore and forgets the concept of one touch football when he is on the national squad.

• Posted by Crow on 2013/08/30 at 5:18 PM

I really don’t think they will. I am very surprised they did not fire Chepo over the summer. He seems to have completely lost the locker room with Vela and Ochoa now both gone. I’m not worried about them- I’m hoping Honduras can get over their own issues and find some road form and gut out a draw, and then we can send Mexico into a panic by smashing them in Columbus. There is no reason to be overconfident but the USA is in their best form ever and Mexico is in their worst possibly. I trust JK will try to make a statement and I expect it. I would love to damage Mexico’s World Cup hopes or at least send them to New Zealand which I think is possible still. Panama and Honduras just need to take care of business.

• Posted by Tom Patton on 2013/08/30 at 5:40 PM

Look- I have no love for Mexico – I was once pissed on at Azteca- but they will end up in the top 3. My bet for a trip to the land of Kiwi? Honduras

• Posted by Crow on 2013/08/31 at 3:16 AM

They should end up in the top 3 on paper but their team is in worse shape now than it was at any point this year so why would it automatically get better? I keep reading delusional Mexican fans posts that they are going to win in Columbus. Its not going to happen and I still will stand by I think its going to be one of the biggest wins by USA ever over Mexico.

Mexico better beat Honduras, because they have USA and Costa Rica on the road and Panama at home. Valdes has completely owned de la Torre this year.

• Posted by schmutzdeck on 2013/08/31 at 8:38 AM

Just to be clear:

Mexico have 8 points with four games to go.

They have to get at least 8 points out of a possible 12 because the likely magic number for a top three finish is probably 16.

Mexico have :

Honduras at home
              US away
              Panama at home
              CR away

All are hard games. Azteca is no longer a fortress and never mind the traditional rivalries, all these teams need a win.

The first Honduras game is key.

If Mexico wins then they have 11 points and only have to win two out of the remaining three to get to 16. Hard but doable.

If Mexico tie, a draw and two wins might get them through or at least into fourth place.

If they lose to Honduras, I think they dump Chepo and then they have to run the table.

• Posted by Ufficio on 2013/08/31 at 8:55 AM

Declaring out of hand that a Mexico win is “not going to happen” is fairly delusional as well.

• Posted by FellainisFro on 2013/08/31 at 9:01 AM

Mexico’s best performance in the last year was in a August friendly against a very disinterested Ivory Coast team made up mostly of B squad players with the exception of Drogba. Of Mexico’s 4 goals, one was an own goal and another came off a very bad backpass that got intercepted. The scoring line may have been 4-1, but it comes up short calling it a game of redemption after a horrible spring and summer in 2013 for El Tri.

As for the upcoming games. Dos Santos is injured and Hernandez is out of form and injured. The Mexican squad is made up with a mix of veteran’s, last year’s Olympians and mostly Mexican League players. While these youngsters performed admirably in last year’s World Cup, Chepo’s tactic of fast tracking them into the Senior side while shoving aside key veteran’s has not been exactly smooth.

With just a few points separating Mexico from Honduras and Panama with Panama having a game against a terrible Jamaica team this round. Without a Mexico win over Honduras, Mexico is going to be in very bad shape because the points will get harder to come by come this fall and they may be booking their ticket to visit the Kiwi’s.

• Posted by Crow on 2013/08/31 at 7:01 PM

I’m sorry Uffico but looking at past history with USA/Mexico and certainly the current situation and CONCACAF this year (the only road wins were the USA and Mexico squeaking by Jamaica) all point to Mexico not having a chance to win. Of course you have to play the game but Mexico will be trying to shut down the game to escape with a point if anything.