USA v. Mexico: Live Commentary

Fire up the hyperbole machines! USA v. Mexico
It’s El Tri v. The Yanks in the only spot it should be, Columbus Ohio.

Time to score vs. Mexico Clint. How about deuce? You're in the right location.

Time to score vs. Mexico Clint. How about deuce? You’re in the right location.

Pre-game starting shortly.
If you missed the preview, hurry, catch up quickly.

1. Posted by gino744 on 2013/09/10 at 3:44 PM

Who’d like to see this after tonight?

CONCACAF WCQ Standings

Team Pts.
    1. USA 16
    2. Costa Rica 15
    3. Honduras 10
    4. Panama 10
    5. Mexico 8
    6. Jamaica 6

• Posted by gino744 on 2013/09/10 at 3:47 PM

I’m actually rooting for Mexico to qualify but the above standings are very possible, except I meant to put 14 pts for Costa Rica after a shock away loss to Jamaica.

• Posted by Ufficio on 2013/09/10 at 3:52 PM

I think a CR loss would make me almost as happy as a USMNT win tonight. I think I’ve worked up an unhealthy hatred for that team. I’m not even going to mention what I’d like to see happen to Campbell.

• Me me me! (except Costa Rica on 14 of course)

2. Posted by mbw on 2013/09/10 at 4:16 PM

Seems like a sensible lineup. I guess in a perfect world you’d have some more pace at one of the CB spots, but do you really want to roll the dice with Orozco over Goodson?

3. Posted by Carlos on 2013/09/10 at 4:31 PM

Here’s hoping FJ holds down the fort, but also makes good forward runs to keep Mexico on the defense.

4. Posted by Spencer on 2013/09/10 at 5:12 PM

What happened to Donovan’s eye?!

5. Posted by KickinNames.... on 2013/09/10 at 6:34 PM

Is anyone else tired of Dempsey falling down and giving up possession tonite or is it just me? He has been nearly useless tonite.
    Jones has been a nice surprise with his composure for most of the match.
    Goodson as well.

6. Posted by KickinNames.... on 2013/09/10 at 7:11 PM

Panama wth an unbelievable goal to tie it up.

7. Posted by Spiritof76 on 2013/09/10 at 7:53 PM

Panama just equalized!! 90th minute!

8. Posted by Turd Ferguson on 2013/09/10 at 10:03 PM

As Jesse Pinkman might say…….BRAZIL, BITCH!

9. Got back home from the game at 2AM. Couldn’t fall asleep until 3 because I was still so jazzed up. Woke up at 6:30 for work. Caffeine crash surely coming. Couldn’t care in the slightest. Holy hell what an amazing game.

10. Two absolutely terrible penalty kicks in a row from Deuce now. Can we put an end to the deuce PK experiment? Especially when Donovan is a world class penalty taker

• Posted by matthewsf on 2013/09/11 at 8:10 AM

Agree. Dempsey was normally suspect for Fulham on penalties. He’s passable, but you want automatic.

Think it should be Donovan again. How that impacts a captain I don’t know.

• Posted by Antonio Henry on 2013/09/11 at 11:02 AM

Dempsey missed it on purpose. You’ll never here him say he did on record, but I was at the match.

After the players came back out the tunnel with beer and champagne spraying the fans who were still at the stadium. A chant was started up saying “He missed it on purpose” and Deuce smirked and started dancing to it!

Also if you look at the take, he wasn’t even aiming for goal. His reaction was stoic, and on the feed they panned right to Klinnsman who had a smirk on his face. He knew haha

• Posted by Jared on 2013/09/11 at 12:07 PM

That’s fine. He still shouldn’t be taking them. He’s proven repeatedly that he’s not a sure thing. LD is a sure thing even if it involves him kissing half of his body first.

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2013/09/12 at 7:00 AM

I am a huge Dempsey fan and I still don’t want him taking PKs. He has been average at best over his Fulham career and missed many more big ones than he made. Have no idea why he isn’t good at them but….

11. Posted by FellainisFro on 2013/09/11 at 8:24 AM

It might not have pretty or up to the standard that we expected after the Gold Cup.
    But sometimes you just have to gut out a win.

12. Posted by Ufficio on 2013/09/11 at 8:30 AM

Great, gutsy win.

Gotta hand it to Beckerman and EJ, especially. They played better than I thought they were capable of at this level. It helped that Jekyll Jones showed up this one, as well.

13. As much as we’re reviled south of the border, they’ll have to root for the US (or at least for us not to lose) against Panama in the final round of the Hex. That is if the UNTHINKABLE doesn’t happen when they play La Marea Roja at the Azteca. Can you imagine them wearing those big-ass sombreros and chanting U-S-A!!?

14. Good to win and this lineup compared to the Costa Rican lineup was much better. It made more sense with EJ up top as a bigger physical player compared to Dempsey, who is not physical enough. Bedoya I liked the call for but I was surprised they didn’t kick more deep balls to him to challenge an aging Salcido. Bedoya wins the ball in the air something that Donovan or Zusi do not do well. He did it all Gold Cup but this group wasn’t there as in Howard (who kept kicking it deep to Donovan…why?) I’m liking Bedoya as a different option at RM to Zusi or Donovan.

Beckerman and Jones in front of Goodson and Gonzalez placed less pressure on the tall CBs to have to make plays out of their position but there was some plays that they still had to make. Overall, good win and if Dolo, Chandler or Evans aren’t around… Fabian is my new RB out of necessity. He can play it and better than Parkhurst.