Jurgen Klinsmann Calls 20 For World Qualifying Denouement

But who else?

But who else?

A shortened roster. Brad Evans Rightback rides again. Donovan’s heating up.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (6): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City) Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC)

Positing:

» How does the team play without Clint Dempsey. Will. be. interesting. A Michael Bradley absence already has an observation.

» Tim Howard was big again Mexico, but Brad Guzan’s play continues to suggest, “better current keeper.”

1. Posted by Tom Patton on 2013/10/06 at 5:26 PM

give Guzan the minutes – he deserves them.

and

Johannsson as well. Jozy should stay in England and work with new staff at Sunderland before he becomes a bench player and EJ is a known quantity and the Sounders need him.

• Posted by Crow on 2013/10/06 at 5:39 PM

Everything I have heard is that Altidore is doing everything he can- from the team and media. He is succeeding in the off the ball work that he fail to in the past. The goals will be hard to come by with their wretched team but they will come. There is absolutely no reason he shouldn’t come with how well he has been playing for the National Team and also it is a major international break.

• Posted by Jared on 2013/10/07 at 9:59 AM

Guzan deserves the time but I don’t think you call up Timmy to have him sit. Should have left him in England.

• Posted by mbw on 2013/10/11 at 11:24 AM

Agree w/ Crow — if Jozy weren’t surrounded by mid-Championship caliber talent, we’d all be talking about how much more complete his game has become. This man will do tonight as a sailor does on shore leave, before heading back out to sea. . . .

2. Posted by Crow on 2013/10/06 at 5:41 PM

It sure looks to me that Geoff Cameron will not be given a chance in midfield (even with Bradley out), RB, or CB. He is the only player on the entire roster with any CB experience other than Gonzalez or Besler, so it sure seems he will be on the bench as backup.

3. I’m fine with the roster considering injuries. It will be interesting who starts at LM (Donovan or EJ), CAM (Johannson or EJ), and RM (Donovan, EJ, Zusi or Bedoya). Some journalists note possible changes after 1st game (guessing many MLS players will go back to teams) and it would seem Orozco-Fiscal for Gonzalez or Besler, Corona for Zusi, Danny Williams for Beckerman, and even Castillo can play LM when Donovan and EJ go back to team and I wouldn’t be surprised to either see Chandler or Parkhurst called back in so Cameron can move inside when Gonzalez/Besler are back to team. Just guesses.

4. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2013/10/06 at 7:31 PM

Any update on Cherundolo? I’m very concerned about that right back spot – I have serious reservations about Brad Evans’s quality. Not sure what the solution is: Timothy Chandler, Geoff Cameron, Michael Parkhurst, Eric Lichaj?

• Posted by Crow on 2013/10/07 at 12:44 AM

I heard he is finally going to start training again. I too am a bit worried about the RB slot. Hopefully Chandler and Lichaj get brought in for the Scotland/Austria? friendlies in November and show something to provide depth at the least.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2013/10/07 at 7:11 AM

I do wonder why Klinsmann chose to play Scotland. Yes, Hamden Park will be an intimidating atmosphere, but talent wise, Scotland are hardly consistently strong opponents. Why not play a ‘last 16′ calibre team?

• Posted by john mosby on 2013/10/07 at 6:44 PM

dude, Scotland just played a very tight game with England, in England.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2013/10/07 at 7:35 PM

I might be English, but this is not about England. But thank you for informing me that England played Scotland, in a very tight game, in England. I had zero idea that that occurred.

If we qualify, I wouldn’t be happy about playing Scotland in one of the few games we have.

• Posted by john mosby on 2013/10/07 at 8:57 PM

Scotland are a more than solid team, and USA owes Scotland a rematch on their home soil. tough venue +solid team = good preparation.

• Posted by john mosby on 2013/10/07 at 9:02 PM

actually, when you get right down to it, this is ideal opposition for this game. its a team that did not qualify and they will want to show well for their home crowd. it might even be better than playing an already qualified team who might not take such a friendly so seriously. there should be little doubt Scotland will take this game very serious.

as usual, you are misreading the situation.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2013/10/08 at 5:44 AM

Because we differ in opinion, I’m misreading the situation?

They didn’t qualify because they are not good enough. They haven’t qualified for a major tournament since 1998 (?). But if you think this is an ideal test, then good for you. You might not roll them over 5-0, but I think it will be a reasonably comfortable evening. Could Scotland spring a surprise in a one off game? Of course they could, anything is possible – see 2009 ConFed Cup SF…

• Hard not to side with Mr. Cross on this one. Pretty sure George has years of wisdom under his belt to form an educated opinion on this subject. Not trying to pick a fight with another US fan but, John, you’ve been a fan of the game for what, 5 to 10 years tops? Don’t know George’s age but previous posts on this site suggest he’s got 30 or more as a well informed fan.

Personally, I too would’ve preferred to see a game against a higher caliber European team. Or maybe Chile, Ecuador or Uruguay. I’m obviously not privy to behind the scenes deals but it is possible that this is a payback game with Scotland. I do remember the US playing in Scotland in the buildup to South Africa 2010 though.

• Posted by john mosby on 2013/10/09 at 5:26 AM

gino, gino, please…. first let me say that I think it seems this game had to be on European soil, so all those south American teams you mention are out, even though it will be nice to get some SudAm games before brasil.

people, come on, scotlands team is made up of guys who mostly start in the premier league, and im not talking about the Scottish version. these guys like Robert Snodgrass, and barry bannan, and Charlie adams, these are real players.

Scotland had a tough time defending their home turf during qualifying, but they did go into Zagreb and get a win, and won in MAcadonia.

this is a quality side and before the debate is over, gino will have switched back to the right side.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2013/10/09 at 3:40 PM

I think you’re stuck in 1985. You need to get back in the DeLorean and set the year to 2013.

• Nice one George. Sorry John, but I’m of the same opinion as before. I’m not positive that this friendly would HAVE to be in Europe. If it’s a full international date, then European clubs would be hard pressed to not release their South American players. And if that weren’t the case, then a game against Croatia or Portugal would be tastier than haggis.

• Posted by john mosby on 2013/10/09 at 7:07 PM

this is silly, Scotland are a good team, and they just played a nice game against England, and they will provide a nice test for the USA and if they have any heart, they will want to show after the shellacking USA put on them last year.

who says Portugal or Croatia were available? I mean, you want to play Croatia, but you are not interested in playing a team that beat Croatia, in Croatia, in a world cup qualifier?

I don’t know gino, stick with George and maybe he will take you to a crystal palace game so you can see the sixth best team in his city.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2013/10/09 at 7:54 PM

Or maybe see your boy, Barry Bannan – on the bench.

A European fixture makes sense if you want to play a European team in a friendly during the European season. I believe that time in November is when the UEFA play-offs are, so no team is going to schedule a friendly before securing qualification. 9 group winners will be known on Tuesday, and so will the 8 play-off participants.

• Posted by john mosby on 2013/10/09 at 9:34 PM

whats the debate then? Scotland are a good team, they will provide a test at home, they have a boatload of epl talent, they fit into the schedule.

their current coach is a winner and will want to have the team playing well. this is just to good of an opportunity, and it makes about the most sense, when you really are realistic about the situation.

we didn’t even mention steven fletcher.

one last point, is that it was not the talent in Scotland, nor the lack of it that has been holding this country back. it is clear with the rangers situation that there was bad blood between the two factions and it really sent the Scottish FA in the wrong direction. ironically, rangers going down like they did probably helps Scotland in the long run.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2014/05/16 at 2:36 PM

Wrong again Mr. Mosby. Palace are the 4th best team in London!

5. Posted by Chazcar2 on 2013/10/07 at 6:22 AM

I think Beasley is captain again. I like the idea that Donovan is a leader, but doesn’t have the “burden” of captain.

What I would like to see:
    —————-Altidore——————-
    Bedoya——-Donavon————Zusi
    ———Beckerman–Jones————-
    Beasley–Besler—Gonzalez—-Evans
    ——————Guzan———————

I think EJ, Johannsson, Diskerud make great attacking subs, I would continue to use them that way as that will be their role in Brazil. Maybe make changes at half time to try to get them more minutes, but off the bench is their role. They are classic “look super good in 30 minute appearances, but not very effective as a starter” players.

Kljestan and Cameron I view as Starter potential. So I could see them in any of their possible roles. Boyd I view as Altidore’s understudy. To me he is who you start if Altidore is injured. Similar with Castillo and Beasley. So any of Kljestan, cameron, boyd and castillo I would start to give them some more game minutes. Still sub with EJ, Aron or Diskerud.

As for Guzan vs Howard, I could see sticking with Howard, but Guzan deserves his shot. If competition in every spot is super important, then you have to make the switch for the rest of the team dynamic. It would really show that no spot is guaranteed.

As for Right Back… I sure as hell hope Lichaj gets his shot in the European friendlies. If not, then Klinsmann is full of it.

Other comment: I hope Shea gets back on track, the team could use a left winger, not necessarily as a starter, but somewhere on the roster.

6. Posted by Man S on 2013/10/08 at 8:06 PM

Surprised Goodson didn’t get the call. He had a good summer for the Nats.

7. Posted by chris_thebassplayer on 2013/10/08 at 10:41 PM

For Jamaica, I’d like to see this line up

…………….Jozy………………..
    …………Johannsson………..
    ….LD…………..Mix…………..Bedoya
    ………………Jones…………………..
    Beas…..Besler….Cameron….Evans

Tuck in LD a little.

I think the Panama game will be an ugly slog for us trying to meet their intensity level…given the watered down roster and nothing on the line for us…I think we come out flat as a pancake.

Like everyone else, i hope Johannsson gets major minutes and lights it up. I’ve got high hopes for some stellar combo play between LD and Johannsson in the Jamaica game.

8. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2013/10/09 at 3:32 PM

What happened to Josh Gatt?

• Posted by Crow on 2013/10/10 at 7:10 PM

ACL tear days before Gold Cup camp. The dude has got injured 4-5 times now in the game before a call in. Such a shame.

9. Posted by adrian lago on 2013/10/10 at 5:58 AM

Josh Gatt is out with a knee injury he got a few months ago…
    What I’d like to see:
    Altidore
    Bedoya Donovan Zusi
    SK J.J.
    Beasley Besler Orozco Evans
    Howard (C)

sorry Cameron fans, I hope he is on the bench. reliable substitute, but I’m not sure of that wild-eyed look he always has. either he’s an 80’s baseball player on greenies, or he’s just plain nervous. either way, I like the work Orozco has done at CB the few times he’s been there. good passing, and surprisingly aggressive on headers.

10. Posted by Nate on 2013/10/10 at 8:20 PM

EJ is out – groin injury. Actually saw him walking off the field with a trainer a bit gingerly during the live stream last night. Chances of an Aron/Jozy pairing up front just got a little bit more possible! Davis, Goodson and Wondo are in.

Can anyone believe only 40% of seats at Azteca are sold for Mexico’s must-win match tomorrow? Granted they’re in 5th right now – but they still control their own destiny.

11. Orange Slices? I am going to my first USMNT match tonight and I need some Orange Slices to get me prepared!