Klinsmann Selects Eric Lichaj and 22 Others To Ax Scotland & Austria

"Hey man, I didn't think you'd be here." "Yeah, didn't think you'd be here either."

“Hey man, I didn’t think you’d be here.” “Yeah, didn’t think you’d be here either.”

Welcome back tot he living Eric Lichaj. Kljestan and his mustache travel too. Chris Wondowlowski gets his shot–but is his right peg fit.

Will Geoff Cameron get to hock his wares–deservedly–at CB?

Can certainly, certainly see Ale Bedoya getting a runout at RB. And I think it makes a lot of sense.

GOALKEEPERS (3) : Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire)

DEFENDERS (7) : DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest), Michael Orozco (Puebla)

MIDFIELDERS (7) : Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Roma), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (Stoke City)

FORWARDS (6) : Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

1. Posted by Dirk on 2013/11/11 at 11:27 AM

Why wasn’t Brad Guzan chosen? Was hoping he would get a start.

Watch JK not even give Lichaj a chance. Just the thing he would do.

Parkhurst instead on Fiscal. Yeah I know Parkhurst isn’t playing but still prefer him and he was one of their most consistent backs at the GC.

Wondo is a wasted pick with this group as he sits 5th behind Jozy, Eddie, Aron and Boyd.

2. Posted by Crow on 2013/11/11 at 12:13 PM

Eric Lichaj was the best player by far on the field that night. Crazy how fast 3 years go by. Hopefully, he can make a run at the RB spot.

Disappointed with no Agudelo call up

• Posted by gino744 on 2013/11/11 at 9:40 PM

Not sure whether Lichaj is playing on the left, right or both for Nottingham. Anybody out there been following this? I remember him playing LB during Gold Cup 2011 before ‘Dolo got hurt in the final against Mexico and the wheels came off. I’m not sure why JK waited so long to give him a cap but I’m glad to see Eric finally get a call. I think wingback could be our most vulnerable weakness in Brazil and it would be nice to examine one more option, on either flank.

• Posted by Jayg5765 on 2013/11/12 at 11:05 AM

I’m a Nottingham Forest supporter, Lichaj is playing (and dominating) at RB for the Reds at the moment. We got him on a free transfer and he’s possibly our best signing of the season so far.

Even though I’m an Englishman living in the USA, I shall be following the USA because there are no Forest players in the England line ups…..Yet.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2013/11/12 at 11:11 AM

Check this out…legacy interview from a few years ago: http://theshinguardian.com/2011/01/11/american-fullback-in-brum-eric-lichaj/

• Posted by gino744 on 2013/11/14 at 10:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I’d say we’re more shallow at RB than on the left if Cherundolo doesn’t make it back.

• Posted by Jayg5765 on 2013/11/14 at 10:23 AM

No worries, I’m looking forward to seeing him in action for the Reds in person over Christmas.

When we first signed him, my Villa mates told me he wasn’t all that great, my Leeds friends said he was OK. After watching him fit in over the last few months, he’s proved both sets of friends wrong, he’s really gelled into Nottingham Forest, gets up and down the wing, not scored yet, but when he does I have a feeling that it’s going to be a contender for Goal of the Season. Defensively though he’s no nonsense, clean and tidy.

It’s about time he was called back up for the USA, his form at the moment is quality.

• Best player? Do you mean the 2011 Gold Cup final massacre?

I guess you missed Eric’s botched clearance directly to Guardado resulting in the second Mexican goal.

• er.. yeah… well besides that… :)

• Not making any excuses, but Lichaj was switched to RB midgame after Cherundolo’s injury. He had been playing LB (very well) in all the other Gold Cup matches.

• That is a lame excuse. Right back is his “natural” favored position. He should have done even better. Such position shifts are fairly common and should not bother a professional.

• Posted by Crow on 2013/11/14 at 1:46 PM

This picture is from the US/Colombia friendly in Philadelphia. That is the game I was referring too… when Lichaj was able to play his natural position at RB.

• Posted by Crow on 2013/11/15 at 11:25 AM

And from Yanks Are Coming today IN REFERENCE to the Gold Cup final: “Now no one that knows anything about soccer ever blamed Lichaj for that loss”; they also called him one of the best players of the tournament, which I agree with despite him having to play out of position.

If you want to blame someone/thing (1) Bornstein who had one of the worst games I’ve ever seen any soccer play have- his player rating should have literally been a 0, (2) Dolo’s injury/Bradley not bringing in Spector, (3) Bradley and Jones in the worst form of their careers

• Posted by schmutzdeck on 2013/11/17 at 12:45 AM

Crow,

If Yanks are Coming is the Final Authority on all things soccer then the ends of days are upon us.

I can watch the game and see Lichaj play pathetically. Nothing you say can change the fact that Lichaj quite cheaply gave Mexico the second and tying goal.

Was he the worst US player? No

Every one of those guys should be ashamed of their gutless performance. I would have liked to have banned them all for a year but that would not have been practical.

Saying that anything about that game could serve as a positive recommendation for Lichaj is seriously misguided. The US needs winners not bumbling, spineless, losers.

Lichaj fans should never mention that game again and instead talk about his successful spell at Forest.

3. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2013/11/13 at 10:52 AM

Be very aware of the MIGHTY Steven Fletcher & Jordan Rhodes. You have been warned!