Julian Green Allowed To Train With US for Mexico

"Mexico! It's right there!"

“Mexico! It’s right there! Just Brazil somewhere.”

According to SI, Julian Green–the wunderkind striker out of Bayern II–has been given permission to train with the US team ahead of Mexico.

Signs certainly point to Green having more than a passing chance at making the World Cup roster in Brazil, cap-tying him to the US for his international career.

This is not an unprecedented from a US coach as Steve Sampson promised leftback David Regis a starting spot at World Cup 1998 if he committed. Regis was naturalized on May 20, 1998 and then summarily started ahead of Jeff Agoos on the backline in ’98.

At World Cup 2010, defenders were the least used players as no side came closer than one player–Germany–from using their entire roster.

....

….

1. Posted by Usually Ranting on 2014/03/18 at 9:09 PM

If you don’t think this is huge….you probably don’t watch/follow that much soccer.

This kid is the real deal. A big coup by Jurgen. Is this to say he is destined to be a top 25 player in the world? Nope. Can he still fall short of expectations? Absolutely. But this is redemption for losing Rossi. This is the best US prospect ever.

And for people (cough, Steven Goff, cough) who don’t think he’s a lock for the World Cup. You’re insane. He doesn’t file his one time switch without being effectively told “barring injury, you’re coming to Brazil”. And by the way, that is great. He can be a real spark off the bench for this team. And we’ll need that if we have any shot at advancing.

Kudos to JK. Not only has he had the national team on the best run of form since the Confederations Cup in 2009. But he has managed to recruit a variety of players who can help raise the profile of soccer in our country. Great work.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2014/03/21 at 10:55 AM

I must not know that much about soccer then. Until recently, I had never heard of Julian Green. Funny thing is, I bet that’s the same for most of us. I have never heard anybody on here [or elsewhere] until recently talking about this kid on Bayern Munich who is US eligible.

• Posted by KickinNames... on 2014/03/24 at 2:44 PM

George
        You obviously don’t internet enough in your spare time.)))

I have been following US and intl soccer closely for 20+ yrs and have only heard of him recently as well.
        Scott

2. Posted by Usually Ranting on 2014/03/18 at 9:49 PM

Tempted to create a Twitter profile solely so that I can go online and berate American soccer “journalists” like Jason Davis for being so short sighted and xenophobic.

If you understand what a good soccer player is, and you’ve watched the US Squad over the past decade, then you know what a shrewd move adding Julian Green is. Not only can he help the team in terms of on-field performance. He can potentially help the sport grow in our country if he develops into the type of talent he’s capable of being long-term.

• Posted by Arthur on 2014/03/19 at 3:13 AM

Let’s leave severe accusations of xenophobia out of this conversation. Whatever Davis’s reasons to suggest leaving Green off the US MNT for Brazil, I doubt–unless you have evidence to the contrary–that xenophobia has anything to do with it.

Adding Green is a shrewd move, and you are correct in recognizing it. Picking up Green is a move for the future, and for the World Cup. Klinsi won’t put up with players not attempting to improve on the field or challenge themselves to improve during practice. Is some of the team’s recent stall (poor club and international results in the last five months) partially his fault? Klinsmann bears some of the blame for flat performances in late 2013 and early 2014, as well as limited use of his player pool to fill in the backline. Whatever his faults in training a more cohesive attack, he has had to deal with a number of injuries and dips in forms from potentially creative attackers (Shea, Dempsey, and others). Bringing in Green could just be the medicine this team needs to fire up competition and get the vets to play at the level they showed during last year’s winning streak. (Hopefully, this comes without a loss in team cohesion–the possible downside of adding Green this late.)

• Posted by Eric on 2014/03/19 at 5:29 AM

Davis’ reasons for saying that Green shouldn’t go to Brazil center around the fact that he has barely played a full professional match yet a top level. In that regard, whether or not you agree with him, he has a point to an extent. It’s also a question of chemistry. There have been questions about how it would look to the veteran players to bring a player like Green to the WC (who has yet to have a chance to prove himself at a high club level) over players who have worked consistently over the qualifying cycle to earn their spot. Again, I’m not advocating one way or the other here since I don’t pretend to know every single thing about the players and team, but there are reasonable concerns over bringing him to Brazil just to cap tie him.

Also, despite what you seem to think, most of what is surrounding this kid is hype still. This is not to say he’s not a good prospect. I would probably agree that he’s one of the best prospects the US has ever had in the pool, if not the best, but until he’s playing week in and week out for his club (even if it’s on loan or just as a consistent sub for Bayern) it’s still hype to a certain extent. Have you really seen him play that much? If the answer is yes, I’d love to know how you’re seeing Bayern training sessions or even Bayern reserve matches. A two minute cameo in the champions league, even if it’s for Bayern, is not the same thing as being a regular in the side.

Again, not saying I disagree that he shouldn’t be brought to Brazil. I’m just saying that I don’t think it’s as much a no-brainer as you seem to think.

Finally, let’s stop with the “If you are suspect over Julian Green’s addition to the squad…you literally don’t know half as much about the sport as you think you do.” It’s not endearing, it’s not correct, and it adds nothing to the actual discussion.

• Posted by Arthur on 2014/03/19 at 8:35 AM

@ Eric: Solid points for a deflationist view of Green. After all, Green is, well, green: he does not have the national team experience of, say, Landon and Beasley when they suited up for the US in 2002 (a false comparison made on another website. Note also that his minutes for the German and US youth teams has been limited as well, with roughly twelve caps in total for various U23 teams. Green has not played a game with the full nats yet; we don’t know his impact on the dressing room, let alone how his playing style meshes with the rest of the team. In short, his inclusion for Mexico institutes the first stage in a hopefully successful and extraordinarily long international career.

One point about his supposed lack of playing time with Bayern: he has been extraordinarily successful playing for Bayern Munich II, the reserve side playing in Germany’s fourth division. BUT would we be raving about a US player who was putting up 15 goals in 21 games for a team that far low in an international league? Hell, Boyd has 14 goals, in roughly double the games, in a far superior league–and his name is lucky to be put in the second tier of forwards for Brazil. I think most of Green’s potential for Brazil will be measured in the next two qualifiers. It helps that he can play on the wing, as our options there are generally sparse and the expected players have failed to develop sufficiently. I agree that your skepticism is valid, but I think Green’s introduction to the US is playing a number of roles–a stop-gap for multiple injuries, a patch to cover a lack of squad development, a spur to induce current nats, and an encouragement against ongoing negativity, including recent results, lack of club success, and the like (which Klinsmann is rightfully worried about carrying into the World Cup).

• Posted by Eric on 2014/03/19 at 9:16 AM

Appreciate the measured response.

I was mostly just trying to point out another side of the argument to the “He must go to Brazil” side. Personally, I think it’s a toss up… If we assume Jurgen is taking four strikers to the WC, and that Altidore, Johannsson, and Dempsey are the first three (let’s not get into a debate about what Clint actually counts as) then you’re looking at filling in the final striker spot. This is a spot for a specialist player who you don’t expect to see much time and likely only in certain situations… So let’s look at the options:

– Boyd: Seems to me that he would be filling the back up of Jozy’s understudy. He’s still young and has been called in almost every time by Jurgen so it’s clear that Boyd’s one of his favorites.
          – Eddie Johnson: He’s played a lot for the US in qualifying, even if it’s on the wing, and he brings good athleticism. Although I’m not personally a fan, I think Klinsmann will consider him.
          – Wondolowski: He’s a poacher and has very good off-ball movement. I’d argue those traits with anyone who thinks otherwise. However, there are still questions about his ability to make an impact at the international level.
          – Gomez: I won’t count Herc out but I think his chances are pretty slim at this point. Still, he’s a world cup vet and was getting consistent playing time under Klinsmann before his injury.
          – Agudelo: I think he has a legitimate shot actually. Playing well in the Dutch league and has good skill and athleticism. He’d be a decent spark off a bench.
          – Green: The big question here is just how polished he actually is. All most of us have to go off of is hype and various second hand reports. Until any of us really see him play on a consistent basis at a good level, it’s really hard to know just how good he is compared to the other options.

Basically, what I’m trying to show is that there are other options besides Green. He’s already filed his one time switch, so cap-tying him isn’t a reason to bring him along since he can no longer play for anyone else. For me, the only reason you bring him is if you think he can actually contribute off the bench and make the team better. I honestly have no idea if he can, or if he’s a better option than the ones listed above, because I have never seen him play (and I doubt many have). He has a pedigree, but so does Boyd (Borussia Dortmund with a very good reserve league scoring record) and nobody considers him a lock. I’m just think it’s impossible for us to proclaim him a lock for the roster when we’re all so far away from actually seeing the inner workings of the team.

3. Posted by JH on 2014/03/19 at 8:04 AM

Sorry to nitpick, but if Green officially files that paperwork to switch his FIFA representation from Germany to USA, I believe he is cap-tied, even if he never plays an official match for USA.

@Usually Ranting, we all appreciate the excitement, but presumably anyone reading The Shin Guardian knows a bit about soccer and probably has a reasonably well-thought-out opinion on Green.

4. Posted by Henning on 2014/03/19 at 9:47 AM

As a German, I’m not too happy about this. I think Julian would have had a decent shout to feature for Germany in a none-too-distant future. For while our oh-so-fabled youth system churns out midfielder after midfielder, there’s a definite draught when it comes to young attackers. Klose will most likely hang up his boots after the World Cup, and even if he doesn’t, he’s not the future. Mario Gomez, who I rate highly, more than most, has been injury-prone recently, and shaky. So – providing Yogi does not choose to go all false nine with Mario Götze – to get into the starting eleven a future Germany striker will often only need to get past Max Kruse, Pierre-Michel Lasogga or Kevin Volland (possibly Timo Werner, let’s see how he turns out), which I think is not beyond Green.

It might just be that Julian has actually followed his heart here and not only chosen the US because he speculated that he will get less playing time in Germany.

5. Here is how I see it. Think bigger than just this WC2014. Sure that is what we are immediately discussing but we are losing some major players after this WC2014 with a lot of role players coming back. Its not to say that Donovan and Dempsey are the whole team but they’ve scored more goals than the rest of the USMNT midfielders and forwards put together so we need some players that will be capable to come in after WC2014 and begin to develop. They have been so big for the USMNT over the last 10 years.

Right now, we will still have Altidore (struggling at Sunderland so big question is will he move to another club or stay), Johannson (will he stay in same league or attempt a move like Altidore and who knows if he’s successful or not), Boyd (playing in Austria and playing well but I don’t believe many consider Austria a great league), Agudelo (will he deliver or even play at Stoke next season?), and then a bunch of youth or MLS types like Bruin, McInerny, etc…

So who will play on the wings? Now we have Green (who is playing regularly), Shea (not playing anywhere now… oh wait… on the Stoke reserve team!), Gyau (continues to develop but may not be ready just yet) and others like Daniel Cuevas and possibly Zardes. The other side will be Zusi, Bedoya, Gatt, Rodriguez maybe (Mario), Corona, and a few others.

We need players to continue to improve and well… consider this a notice to Mr. Brek Shea that he needs to get his STUFF together because now he’s not the player we are all talking about playing LM/LW. Its Julian Green!

One other thing I wonder is whether the USMNT will continue to move to a 4-3-3 in the future (of course, we’ve seen Jurgen use 4-2-3-1 and transition it to a 4-4-2 in games). This WC cycle I don’t believe we had the players to really play it as we tried with 3 defensive midfielders and it was horrible. Well, we are losing Jermaine Jones, Beckerman to most likely age for next WC2018 cycle and will have a few that play the position coming back like Edu, Danny Williams and maybe Morales. Consider that the U23 who didn’t make Olympics 2012 but played in 4-3-3 and in some games played quite well with Adu, Shea, Agudelo, Diskerud, Morales, Johnson, Hamid, Corona, and a few other US prospects. Then the U20 team also played 4-3-3 and went to U20WC with Joya, Cuevas, Rodriguez, Trapp, Villareal, Cropper, Gil, and a few other US prospects. I just can’t believe we have many to all our youth academies playing in some sort of either 4-3-3 or diamond type formation.

I’m not sure if Green will make team but considering he’s playing regularly in a 4-2-3-1 as Bayern first team plays in this formation doesn’t hurt Green’s chances compared to Shea sitting on Stoke City’s bench playing reserve games.

6. Posted by Berniebernier on 2014/03/22 at 12:42 PM

It seems that this has less to do about Green being ready and more about Shea imploding. I see Green taking Shea’s spot. Late sub of the left with pace that can take people on. Given Shea’s implosion, not playing regularly for Barnsley, getting his loan cut short because of an incident with a fan, looking clueless in USMNT games I will bet on the unknown. Shea just isn’t that good.

7. Posted by mbw on 2014/03/22 at 4:13 PM

Toronto is perfect and Columbus is one of the most entertaining teams in the league. I feel like freaking Rip Van Winkle. This is not the world with which I am familiar.

8. Posted by Dr Duh on 2014/03/24 at 1:27 PM

I like how he just turns around and runs back up the pitch after he scores… stone killer.

• Posted by KickinNames... on 2014/03/24 at 2:40 PM

That looks like a testimonial match or a beer league squad at the speed that they are playing to be honest. I was expecting this flash and burst type of player but mostly saw simple put aways from 6-8 yds in front of net. Not criticizing but just an observation based on the videos above compared to the opening few commenters declaration that Green is the best/greatest/most bestest US prospect to ever slip on the old RW & B…
      I m sure he’s talented but would tend to wait and see a bit for him to actually play against real top level professional quality competition before we anoint him…but for those inclined…HYPE ON! YOLO! etc…

9. Posted by Usually Ranting on 2014/03/26 at 5:43 PM

Apologies if my point was abrasive, I’m just being blunt. I admitedly have a bone to pick with a lot of the professional analysis done by US soccer media – which I find to be a little less than objective and often given from a “I’m an American soccer fan and I have a chip on my shoulder” point of view (i.e., those who bristle when the MLS is critiqued, those who are suspect of adding German-Americans to our national team, and those who blame Altidore’s poor showing at Sunderland on Sunderland’s overall quality, and ignore the fact that Jozy’s weaknesses as a player have been showcased by his time in the EPL). I just think the media can do a lot for the sport if it raises the level of discourse. That doesn’t mean agree with me. That just means, if you’re going to play contrarian on the Julian Green optimism…do a little better than “No one has seen him play and/or what if it messes up team chemistry”. Talk about the liabilities in his game. Talk about the fact that maybe he’s too small for the physical challenge of international football. Bring up negative feedback from scouts, from his coaches at Bayern, from his fellow players. But have something to merit the reigning in of optimism about the kid.

• Posted by KickinNames... on 2014/03/27 at 12:27 PM

The objection I think is to the “agree with my point or your a complete US soccer numbskull” approach you took rather than any disagreement with what you offer up. Your lobbing Molotovs at journalists on a blog that is full of pretty rational non-journalist commentary is just overkill. Day jobs, families, and general living of life doesnt allow most fans to scour the internet for every video of every prospect and read up on Bayerns scouting reports for a player who wasn’t even in the player pool until recently.
      Frankly, I looked at the video above and I didn’t see anything in him that even remotely resembles the hype you’re shouting out in your first two posts. Pedestrian 6 yd finishes from lollipop crosses against 4th Div opponents just don’t scream “Next Messi” to me…but what do I know…I’ve never read a Bayern scouting report…I just watch the games and comment on what I see…
      Peace and enjoy the games…

• Posted by schmutzdeck on 2014/03/29 at 11:10 PM

“Talk about the fact that maybe he’s too small for the physical challenge of international football.”

Have you ever seen Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Landon, Demarcus Beasley or Frank Ribery play international football ?

Because they are all listed at about 5’ 7”or 5’8 “ which is what Green’s height is, 5’ 7.5”.

• Posted by Usually Ranting on 2014/03/31 at 12:36 PM

Thank you for proving my point – that this is what is worth debating. Not the fact that it will mess with team chemistry or that he’s been playing in the 4th tier of the Bundesliga (which is the most overrated criticism).

Its not about lobbing molotov cocktails at journalists. Its criticizing lackadaisical journalism. I have no problem with people disagreeing that Julian shouldn’t be overly hyped or that he shouldn’t be on the USMT. I just want something substantive to back that up. Not things like “it could hurt team chemistry” or “he plays in the 4th division in Germany!”. Dual-Nationality is clearly not an issue with the US given all of the players of German descent on the team and the professional nature in which the squad goes about its business. Its a cooked up theme the press enjoys to talk about when they have nothing else. The 4th division criticism, is fine. It just ignores the fact that its the 4th division of the best club in World football right now. A 4th division side that produced Toni Kroos, Thomas Muller, Philipp Lahm, David Alaba..etc, etc. (all of whom played on Bayern II when they were 18).

Will Green turn out as well as those players? Who knows! I’m just saying, all objective evidence points to excitement over Green being merited. If you want to rain on the parade, feel free. Just do it with something other than gut rejection and contrarian instincts.

• Posted by KickinNames... on 2014/03/31 at 2:46 PM

Maybe the disconnect is that your idea of “debate” is to make an opinion statement without much to back it up (ie 18yr old with limited pro experience) and then declare anyone who disagrees with you a soccer neophyte in dramatic fashion (see your quote below) . That’s not debate…that’s 7th grade recess arguments. Just asking to drop the exclamation points and state your case without putting everyone else in the dummy dumpster.

“To question his addition is simply galling. Seriously. If you are suspect over Julian Green’s addition to the squad…you literally don’t know half as much about the sport as you think you do.