Though no official announcement from US Soccer, it seems like a January meeting between the USA and Honduras is set in the eyes of FIFA.
Los Catrachos will roll into the Home Depot Center on January 24th for the friendly. No word yet on whether Jonathan Bornstein will have an autograph session with the team before the game.
(Just an FYI, the brothers TSG may be covering this game in-person.)
Orange Wedges is TSG’s game day post that will be updated until the start of the match. Due to the early start for us left coasters for USMNT – Slovakia, we thought we’d kick it off a day early.
All this talk of Friendlys makes me want a Fribble. (East Coasters understand.)
The USMNT will play Slovakia at 10am EST / 7am PST on Saturday (11/14). The match can be viewed on Fox Soccer Channel which will also replay the game at 8:30pm EST / 5:30pmEST for those too hungover to catch the game live.
(Updates added at the top.)
- Who are you most looking forward to seeing out on the pitch tomorrow? Cunningham and Johnson hold some allure due to the vacancy at striker, and its going to be nice to get a look at Guzan with Timmy back in the UK. However, I am most looking forward to seeing Clint Dempsey, no matter where he lines up. TSG was critical of Deuce in the September round of qualifying and then he was unfit for the October clincher in Honduras. Now Dempsey is fit and in the midst of a goal-scoring binge for Fulham. More importantly, the US needs him to make his presence felt with Donovan and Davies out of the lineup.
- Not much news coming out of the squad today…probably because Twitter fiends Holden, Ching and Davies are absent and Altidore’s tweeting has been a little less frequent (and less about soccer) since he got his hand slapped by Hull City following his suspension. So, we’ll just leave you with this recent video from Studio 90 to get you reacquainted with Marcus Hahnemann and his transportation preferences.
- The match will be played in Tehelné pole stadium which translates into “brickfield” according to wikipedia.com. I hope something was lost in the translation there because playing on a field made of bricks can’t be good on the knees. Considering the place is on tap to be demolished, I don’t think the USMNT is walking into Slovakia’s version of the Home Depot Center.
- Despite the training weather, the forecast for tomorrow is cool (high of 50) and likely rainless (20% chance)
- It’s been a rainy and cold training week over in Bratislava for the USMNT. For pictures in the slop, head over to USSoccer.com.
- For TSG’s full preview, check out USMNT Battles Slovakia. As an American of Polish (and Ukrainian) descent I would be remiss if I didn’t add that I am looking forward to the USMNT avenging Poland’s 1-0 defeat to Slovakia in the October round of World Cup qualifying. (Our Ukrainian brethren took care of business versus the Slovaks, 3-2, earlier in the year.)
- Poll follow-up:
- 57% of TSG readers says that Sacha Kljestan’s onfield behavior makes a difference in extending a USMNT spot to him. Let’s see how SK plays and behaves this Saturday–he’s probably a 2nd half sub.
- 76% of you are more excited to see Eddie Johnson over Jeff Cunningham. Grant Wahl suggested that if EJ scores this will lead to over-hype–TSG says this is 2010, not 2006.
- One note on the upcoming friendly with Denmark (11/18)…Look for the roster to be released sometime on Sunday morning as US Soccer communicated that they are waiting until after the Saturday MLS and Mexican league playoffs games. Ching, Holden, Rolfe, Donovan, Findley, Castillo and Torres are all in play for a Denmark call-up depending upon the club results (and Bob Bradley’s discretion).