Monday bullets & weekend follow-ups:
• Andy Carroll to Liverpool: £35m puts the target striker in Anfield. I absolutely love this move for Liverpool. Homegrown player, sure to be in the national team picture, young target striker who still can knock it in. Great move for the Reds today.
• Lots of transfer hubbub sure to come down the pike today: Luis, Torres, and more…
• Freddy Adu, according to Washington Post reporter Steve Goff, now testing out his wheels at Turkish 2nd division side Rizespor. Adu will be the only American, or European for that matter, on the team. Good job by Adu’s agent finding him something to get some playing time within the confines of his contract.
TSG looking good on our 2011 predictions right now, scoring on Bradley to the EPL and now Adu not to MLS (yet).
Not sure why fans are pushing to have Adu “come home” to MLS. It’s not clear that we would develop in the States either–I don’t see any Championship side in England (or Germany for that matter) signing him up.
Continually at home, he wouldn’t be anonymous which is probably exactly what he needs to improve his game right now.
• USA vs. Egypt now might move to a new venue. Reached earlier in the week, a US spokesman said, “they were monitoring the situation, but had no plans to change venue yet.”
The US roster is supposed to be on this Wednesday. A location in Eastern Europe, like Vienna, would make sense, be convenient and earn a few dollars.
• Michael Bradley to Villa reaching formalities stage.
• Maurice Edu with yet another left-footed lash…this time against Motherwell. You’re showing us something here, Mo. Jermaine Jones, predominantly lefty. Mo Edu, striking with his left. Doesn’t anyone want to just try a runout at leftback?
• Ireland’s truest Robbie Keane heads to West Ham on loan. An aside, does anyone miss Zola at West Ham more than Carlton Cole? Twenty-two (22) goals in 73 games with Zola at the helm. In the 82 games bookending Zola’s reign? Fourteen (14).
• Cheer the Americans at Anfield. Having locked up Luis Suarez, a report from the Guardian says Henry & Co. are now after Ashley Young and Charlie Adam. The days of Roy Hodgson seem oh-so-long ago.
• From Hall of Fame reporter (yes, t’is true) Frank Dell’Apa: Yura Movsisyan heads eastward to FC Krasnodar. The former RSL super sub coming up the ranks.