The news just broke.
Landon Donovan going on loan to Everton this winter. Precisely what the Toffees need–and frankly probably all they could afford. Everton are not awash in cash. They’re certainly not awash in goals.
The LA Galaxy announced on Thursday that Donovan will venture over to Everton on a two-month loan kicking off on on Jan. 1 2012.
Donovan today: “The opportunity to return to Everton and play for such a well-respected club and a manager that I hold in such high regard was something that was simply too good to pass up.”
Make no mistake here. With the Toffees hurting in the bank account, Donovan won’t be breaking that bank with his compensation here. In short, he wanted the move. This should also put to rest the notion that Donovan was battling an injury during the 2011 MLS season as a reason for his statistical lack of production.
And there, of course, some ancillary benefits for TSG folks and American fans:
5. Salacious rumors are sure to abound with the untimely–and ultimately inaccurate–news during the World Cup that Donovan might have fathered a child on his last trip over there.
4. Sensationalized UK online publications are sure to start identifying Galaxy teammates as potential loan or transfer targets.
3. You can actually watch Everton EPL games now and not cringe…unless Tony hibbert is on the ball of course
2. Fellaini’s afro will be re-introduced into American society.
1. January 11th and March 10th: Foreman vs. Ali. Whoops! Friedel vs. Donovan. Spurs vs. Toffees. Tasty…cakes!
Okay, you asked for it: